Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone else get the survey about this yesterday? I strongly believe that it's a matter of identity for the club, and holds only positive connotations for our fanbase. Antisemitic responses to this are the issue and need to be dealt with.

However, it seems pretty apparent from the flow / structure of the survey (lost of negative 'agree' statements) that the club wants to enforce a change. Please be careful in your responses.

Anyone else get the survey about this yesterday? I strongly believe that it's a matter of identity for the club, and holds only positive connotations for our fanbase. Antisemitic responses to this are the issue and need to be dealt with.

However, it seems pretty apparent from the flow / structure of the survey (lost of negative 'agree' statements) that the club wants to enforce a change. Please be careful in your responses.

Not received anything yet. Will keep an eye out.

Odd to do a staggered survey distribution so I guess they only sent out to a sample of a few thousand members. Mine came through at about 5:30pm yesterday titled "Club consultation on the Y-Word".

Dear Supporter

We should like to invite you to participate in the Club's consultation exercise on the use of the Y-word.

You may recall that we previously undertook this with our fans in October 2013 and we feel that it is important at this time to again assess fan sentiment on this subject and to examine the appropriateness and suitability of its use.

It is well documented that the Y-word was historically adopted by Spurs fans as a defence mechanism in order to 'own' the term and thereby deflect anti-Semitic abuse at that time in the 1970s. Its use has continued to the present day, leading to supporters acquiring the nickname ‘Yids’ - albeit the Club is multi-denominational in its composition.

We have always stated that our fans (both Jewish and gentile) have never used the Y-word with any intent to cause offence.

The use of the Y-word has several key considerations – firstly whether or not its use now plays a role in deflecting or, indeed, attracting unjustifiable abuse; whether or not it contributes to a lack of clarity on what constitutes anti-Semitic behaviour by fans; and whether, even if unintentional, the offence it causes to some means it is no longer acceptable to use.

We recognise that there is a broad spectrum of debate across both Jewish and non-Jewish communities on what is a finely nuanced subject.

We would appreciate you taking the time to respond to this consultation and give it your full consideration.

Thank you for your support and taking the time to participate.

I got one and filled it in.

I've always had mixed feelings on the use of the word. I don't think the intentions of fans who use the word are ever anything but positive, but not being Jewish, I don't feel it's really my right to decide what is and isn't offensive to them. It's a difficult one for me

Just got my one. Very strange survey - for a start the email with the link to it was fairly badly written, lacking in context and the usual padding/introductions. Then the survey itself was equally badly written - questions not explained properly, one question split onto a new page when it could have been on the previous one, etc. The structure of it (as LLB Part Deux LLB Part Deux says) seems to be to present a series of comments from opinion pieces that all frown on the fanbase's continued use of the Y-word, seemingly with the aim of making fans think twice about how they use the Y-word. Not exactly an objective consultation to gather sentiment - the club should have learnt from the excellent THST survey.

Odd to do a staggered survey distribution so I guess they only sent out to a sample of a few thousand members. Mine came through at about 5:30pm yesterday titled "Club consultation on the Y-Word".
They can't even say the word in the letter FFS, that immediately says to me is that they do think it's wrong for supporters to say yid.

Just got my one. Very strange survey - for a start the email with the link to it was fairly badly written, lacking in context and the usual padding/introductions. Then the survey itself was equally badly written - questions not explained properly, one question split onto a new page when it could have been on the previous one, etc. The structure of it (as LLB Part Deux LLB Part Deux says) seems to be to present a series of comments from opinion pieces that all frown on the fanbase's continued use of the Y-word, seemingly with the aim of making fans think twice about how they use the Y-word. Not exactly an objective consultation to gather sentiment - the club should have learnt from the excellent THST survey.
Formatting was perfect on my phone, FWIW.

I agree it seems to be designed to make people think twice though

Yeah, lots of little psychological cues as to what should be the "right" conclusion as far as the club is concerned. Not surprising really given the club would be as keen as possible to avoid controversy.

My worry is that the club would aggressively clamp down on the use of Yid by supporters, leading to suspensions or bans. Ultimately though, if 30%+ of Jewish Spurs fans feel strongly enough that we should stop using Yid then we probably should start to phase it out through positive campaigns rather than clamping down aggressively.

From the clubs point of view, they want Tottenham to be marketable to all races and religions around the world, and the club's fans identifying with a specific religion/race using a controversial term complicates things for them.

Whether this is the correct motivation to try and phase the word out of supporters' vocabulary is open to debate, of course, but you can see why it would be an issue to them.

It's a difficult one, but with the rise in anti-Semitism (and racism in general), both inside and outside of the game, and after many years of joining in with the "Yids" and "Yid Army" chants right up until the end of last season I have decided that it is time for me, and possibly the club as a whole, to do our bit and say we're going to stop the use of the word.

I agree that if such a decision is taken by the supporters, the club or THST that it should be done voluntarily and gradually and not instantly or through direct action, heavy handed stewarding, stadium bans, arrests, etc.

We would still be Spurs without it.

COYS!

First and foremost this should be for the Jewish faith to debate on. Instruction or their lead should be listened to.

I say this because I was (old stadium ST) surrounded by Jewish fans, out of the approx 10 other ST’s in my immediate vicinity I and one other were non-Jews. Out of this group one of them didn’t like the term, so I respected that And I never used the word, why would I knowingly offend the lovely man who I sat next to?!

It’s complicated when the other 8 fans all Jewish belted it out with such passion. In addition when this fella couldn’t make it to a game he would give his ticket to his brother, another Jew, who would proudly chant it.

Please for the love of whoever your fucking God is sort it out amongst yourselves. Ignore the non-jews.

I do think it is so obvious that Spurs fans no matter what beliefs and faiths, what color or creed have now walked in the shoes of those abused, we feel it and that makes our stand on it somewhat valid. Name me another football club in Europe where Jewish fans feel completely comfortable wearing a scull cap? (I am and have been a regular visitor to Ajax for 15yrs and never seen one worn there).

But really Jewish faith does need to show more ownership and direction on this, as one minute I’m being told I’m a Nazi while the next I feel I’m stood shoulder to shoulder with those offended. Sort it out.

Filled it in. The Y-word is a badge worn with respect, integrity and pride as a two fingered counter to the racism and bigotry from clubs like Chavs and Spam. Fuck the haters.

The club will keep doing these surveys until the majority to responses are against the use of the word Yid and then claim they have the mandate to ban it.

I would seriously consider jacking it in on a point of principle if it gets banned officially. Another nail in the coffin of the matchday atmosphere which has been getting noticeably worse over the last 10 years.

Sit down, shut up and eat your popcorn.

The club will keep doing these surveys until the majority to responses are against the use of the word Yid and then claim they have the mandate to ban it.

I would seriously consider jacking it in on a point of principle if it gets banned officially. Another nail in the coffin of the matchday atmosphere which has been getting noticeably worse over the last 10 years.

I get you, I honestly do, but when we know there will always be controversy around the use of the word Yid, you can understand why those higher up within the club get twitchy arseholes every time it comes up in the media.

I don't think there's a 100% right or wrong outcome to this, and I don't think it can ever truly be resolved without a will from both sides of the argument to understand the other and work towards a satisfactory outcome for everyone involved. Impossible, just like every other conflict to do with religion.

On the contrary Nutter, I know for a fact they have the opposite point of view. From the lips of a Jewish mate who has worked for the Club for over 30yrs.

The Club need data from it's fans and this is a preemptive move to deal with yet more investigation from The FA, driven by Kick it out. All the rumblings were there towards the end of last season.

Filled it in. The Y-word is a badge worn with respect, integrity and pride as a two fingered counter to the racism and bigotry from clubs like Chavs and Spam. Fuck the haters.
Absolutely true, the thing is we never started it. It was started by those two excuses of clubs, back in the sixties. Now we use Yid, it's being villified. Should have been dealt with back then, instead of blaming us for using it.

YID ARMY.

Back
Top Bottom