Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Of course they're two weeks behind us in preparation because Serie A starts two weeks later! Our resident Juve fan fogueres fogueres will tell you this and Sarri said as much. Or does your "source" inside the club no better?

Just 22? He's several years behind the curve of progress you'd have expected him to make. It's very easy to latch on to every young player and say they'll make it but, after having seen all his games for us, I don't think he will and it's time to move him on, in my opinion.

And as for standing up to Ronaldo, he shoulder barged KWP off the pitch once and shoulder barged him to the ground dismissively another time. He made him look weak. I don't think he could have done that to a player like Parrott, and if he had I think Parrott would have had some verbals with him and not just sit there looking sorry for himself, because he's got little something about him, an edge, that KWP lacks.

The nightmare scenario is us not making a signing, having to play KWP at City away and him getting brutalised, because I don't think he'd be up to it.

Agree, right back is our weak spot. Need a serious upgrade there. KWP has his moments, but he’s hasn’t the physique for a PL back.

Backup to what then?

If you're a backup player, you'll be in and around the first eleven, that's what a backup player does... it's also how they learn and improve.
Three points which in my opinion, shall adhere to in terms of building our team:

1. Default strategy to develop youngsters should always be to loan them out.

2. First eleven shall always be ready (top 3) players. Finance permit.

3. For reserves (or backups or next 11), when financially permit, we shall also have ready (top 3) players.

We can now said we are very near for Point 2.
For Point 3, I do not think we are there yet. Top players will only accept silly $ to sit on bench, and we do not have budget for expensive benchers. We then slot the bench with players less good. One or two of our youngsters might even be better than them. When this happens, we would rather have that youngster being backup. KWP is such a case. I think he is no starter but only marginally worse than Aurier (but more potential). I would rather have him than Aurier as backup

There are more than a few on here that are in the wrong jobs. They obviously should be defensive coaches at premier league clubs.

Or midfeld coaches.

Or attacking coaches.

Or maybe all three as they seem to know everything.
I dun think there are better coaches around when I am logged into this forum.

Life goes on when I log off.

Blimey agendas much .... Juve are not two weeks behind us don't believe troll posts .... our training only began on the 8th July and most only returned on the 15th July ... so we haven't even done 2 weeks, the majority not even a week,so how can we be two weeks ahead?

Second playing in Asia is a big deal for Juve and Ronaldo, it was very noticeable that they started with him and kept him on until he scored, he pushed hard on KWP and KWP stood up to the task real well ...

KWP is just 22 he's played just 9 EPL games .... why the massive hurry to right him off?

At KWPs age Danny Rose had just joined Sunderland on a season long loan and Kyle Walker had just a spell on loan at Aston Villa. People that write Walker-Peters off without giving him another year or two to grow are short sighted and idiotic.

He may come good, he may not but our two best fullbacks in recent times were both nowhere near starting for us at his age, people need to support him and stop berating the young lad, it's a shame I feel they were never his age. Give him time like anyone that is showing his early signs of potential requires and deserves. If we don't we might end up missing a trick.

At KWPs age Danny Rose had just joined Sunderland on a season long loan and Kyle Walker had just a spell on loan at Aston Villa. People that write Walker-Peters off without giving him another year or two to grow are short sighted and idiotic.

He may come good, he may not but our two best fullbacks in recent times were both nowhere near starting for us at his age, people need to support him and stop berating the young lad, it's a shame I feel they were never his age. Give him time like anyone that is showing his early signs of potential requires and deserves. If we don't we might end up missing a trick.

Walker had played a full season for us at starting right back at KWP's age, this followed on from 70 odd league games at four different clubs, so he'd played over 100 league games by this time. Danny Rose had a roundabout route to becoming a full back but he'd still amassed over 50 appearances by this stage.

I think KWP has been one of the most mismanaged academy players I can remember. He's kept at the club and not sent out on loan year after year and just wheeled out for the odd cup game or crappy team at home. Poch doesn't seem to believe in him anymore, picks a CB ahead of him and we could be set for another year of this?

I'm pretty strong in my opinion that he isn't a PL player, let alone a top 6 one. Others seem certain he'll come good. Neither has been proven right or wrong because he never really plays any truly difficult games. You could say Barca away but they played a B team and he was responsible for their goal. That aside, Southampton away is probably the most difficult game he's played and he was culpable in both goals.

I think it would be madness to go into a season with him as one of our main full backs, and madness to just keep him hanging around again. He needs to play 40+ games in a season somewhere, which can only happen if we loan him out.

Walker had played a full season for us at starting right back at KWP's age, this followed on from 70 odd league games at four different clubs, so he'd played over 100 league games by this time. Danny Rose had a roundabout route to becoming a full back but he'd still amassed over 50 appearances by this stage.

I think KWP has been one of the most mismanaged academy players I can remember. He's kept at the club and not sent out on loan year after year and just wheeled out for the odd cup game or crappy team at home. Poch doesn't seem to believe in him anymore, picks a CB ahead of him and we could be set for another year of this?

I'm pretty strong in my opinion that he isn't a PL player, let alone a top 6 one. Others seem certain he'll come good. Neither has been proven right or wrong because he never really plays any truly difficult games. You could say Barca away but they played a B team and he was responsible for their goal. That aside, Southampton away is probably the most difficult game he's played and he was culpable in both goals.

I think it would be madness to go into a season with him as one of our main full backs, and madness to just keep him hanging around again. He needs to play 40+ games in a season somewhere, which can only happen if we loan him out.

I wouldn't be against loaning him out but I definitely am against ruling him out when it comes to him potentially coming good. He does need more minutes absolutely but
seeing as he's still a young 22 year old (turned 22 in April so was practically 21 all of last season) I do think it's far too early to write him off.

If he stays at the club it's hard to see him muscling into a regular playing position though, unless he really does come on leaps and bounds. Half a season or a year at Sheffield United perhaps?

There are more than a few on here that are in the wrong jobs. They obviously should be defensive coaches at premier league clubs.

Or midfeld coaches.

Or attacking coaches.

Or maybe all three as they seem to know everything.
Probably the worst thing about social media and football forums.

So many cunts think they're fucking John Cruyff with a revolutionary understanding of the game and can't wait to tap away at their keyboards with their Cheeto-stained fingers to tell everybody that they know best.

Here's the thing. Just because you produce a tactics blog with an audience of 12 or a YouTube channel where your script is randomly drawn words from Football Manager it doesn't make you a fucking pundit on the level of Danny Mills, let alone more knowledgeable than one of our greatest ever managers who works with these players every day.

Not gonna make it with us.

Imo poch missed a trick with trying him on the right of a MF3 (or even the A3).

I think that's where we would have gotten more value out of him in the short term.

Although, that would really only paper over the cracks; being, he's just not mature enough for the level we are now at.

Mentally he's quite fragile (in football terms).

Poch really should have loaned him last season to go and toughen up and give him the opportunity to air out his game on the flank at a level where he would maybe feel less inhibited to take people on in the final third.

He still lacks confidence and has not been given the chance to develop it.

He's got a great attitude and works his socks off, but he's just not quite there and really needs a season on the pitch getting his game together.

Hope poch does him a solid and lets him go and grow a little.

Rose spent a season with Sunderland at 22 and said he wanted to stay there.

Then got dogs abuse when he signed a new contract. And was basically called useless.

People have very short memories.

KWP physically can still fill out and develop physically. I think his best days are ahead of him personally.

Shoulda sent him out on loan over the last 2 years.. If he's gonna spend this season as #3 RB we should do similar before the window shuts.

Not gonna make it with us.

Imo poch missed a trick with trying him on the right of a MF3 (or even the A3).

I think that's where we would have gotten more value out of him in the short term.

Although, that would really only paper over the cracks; being, he's just not mature enough for the level we are now at.

Mentally he's quite fragile (in football terms).

Poch really should have loaned him last season to go and toughen up and give him the opportunity to air out his game on the flank at a level where he would maybe feel less inhibited to take people on in the final third.

He still lacks confidence and has not been given the chance to develop it.

He's got a great attitude and works his socks off, but he's just not quite there and really needs a season on the pitch getting his game together.

Hope poch does him a solid and lets him go and grow a little.

If you look at this from several years back he looks more like a winger, but a pretty average one with no great pace:

And he hasn't developed enough physically. I've been saying it for a while and I think more people are seeing it now. I don't think he'll make it as a PL footballer, and I'm not convinced he'd make it in the Championship either, just doesn't have any stand out attributes. I saw more in Harvey White the other day than I've ever seen in KWP.

If you look at this from several years back he looks more like a winger, but a pretty average one with no great pace:

And he hasn't developed enough physically. I've been saying it for a while and I think more people are seeing it now. I don't think he'll make it as a PL footballer, and I'm not convinced he'd make it in the Championship either, just doesn't have any stand out attributes. I saw more in Harvey White the other day than I've ever seen in KWP.

White seems the real deal, very impressed with him too.

Such a shame, had high hopes for him after his debut against Newcastle, but he hasn't developed as he should to make the position his own. It's a pity as it would have solved a problem area with a home grown player.

Such a shame, had high hopes for him after his debut against Newcastle, but he hasn't developed as he should to make the position his own. It's a pity as it would have solved a problem area with a home grown player.
All about complacency I'm afraid. He should have gone on loan to improve, but he decided sitting on the bench and picking up his paycheck is enough.

All about complacency I'm afraid. He should have gone on loan to improve, but he decided sitting on the bench and picking up his paycheck is enough.

Pure assumption on your part... You don't know that Poch didn't prefer him to stick around.

Edit: Oooh, look what I just found:

Pure assumption on your part... You don't know that Poch didn't prefer him to stick around.

Edit: Oooh, look what I just found:

He should have demanded to go on loan at least 2 years ago. Sitting on his arse has ruined him as a player. Not good enough, get rid.

I think "home grown" is the key, and why clubs try to give home grown players every chance,l to suceed - because they come with a premium. 25% to 50% of the price City paid for Walker and Stones, and United are prepared to pay for Maguire, is because they're home grown, so it saves or earns the club potentially a lot of money by developing them. Winks is a good example. I don't think he was ever a stand out player in the way Skipp is, but by developing him to a particular type of player and getting him to high standard has created an asset for which the bidding would start at 50 million if we decided to sell him, or saved that amount if, as I expect, he's part of long term plans. Unfortunately for KWP he hasn't been able to reach that level, despite being given every chance.

I think he could well make it at a championship club but he reminds me a little of Onomah at the moment there was a period where people honestly thought he could make it into the first team. After time passed it became quite obvious that was never going to happen.

Youth players being able to make it into the first 11 is incredibly rare unless you own a billion pound training camp like Barcelona were you can ship the best youth playes in from all over the world.

Back
Top Bottom