Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we do sign Lo Celso and Sessengon, and we can into our first game with a matchday squad of

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies
Ndombele - Winks - Lo Celso
Eriksen - Dele
Kane

Gazzaniga, Foyth, Sanchez, Sessengon, Sissoko, Dier, Lucas
I'd be happy. Son is suspended remember.

Well we start the season with Villa home, City away, Toon home - a week gap between each.
For me, first game we should be winning comfortably, getting players match fit if not already, and preparing for a 6 pointer against City.

Villa: Who will expect a drubbing - big day out, men behind the ball trying to be hard to break down;
Lloris
Winks - N'Dombele - Lo Celso
Moura - Kane - Eriksen

City: Now this is the big one. They will expect to spank us and limit our chances. When we do attack, a bit of magic will be needed so would go with Dele, but more importantly we need to hound and get at them trying to deny space - so a rare Lamela call up for me here, and a proper defender up against Sterling or whoever else goes against our left back. We went with Trippier and Rose in the champions league games last season, but doesn't look like either will be here. Son still suspended.
Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen
Sissoko - N'Dombele
Lamela - Dele - Eriksen
Kane

Toon: Expect that shit show to go down this season, and think we should be going for the jugular on the back of a harsh defeat away to City, which is quite likely. High up wing backs, expect to have the ball more than we need to win it back, but players who can pass through what they will inevitably set up as.
Lloris
Kwp - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Sessegnon
Winks - Lo Celso
Moura - Kane - Son

It goes on form, injuries, performances and everything - but really we should be winning 2 of those games with our 2nd 11. It's the city game we need to look at as the bench mark for our starting 11 being good enough and transfers needed.
The side from last season miraculously managed to score 3 against them away, and the defence held them off at home. But with that logic, City could say 'we should be capable of scoring away to Spurs' when obviously their attack is fucking incredible. They were the better side and lost over 2 legs anyway.

I want us to, and believe we can win the league this season. But that massively comes down to form, momentum, injuries, luck, mental approach to name a few things.
Winning or losing the City game I believe will have quite an impact on momentum and mentality in particular, with Gooners away after the toon game.

Lo Celso and Sessegnon I didn't include in the potential City squad. Do they offer the level of solidity needed for such a task? I'm not convinced. I think that's a game to use our strength and height - dipping into the squad 'depth' for an 11 suitable for the task at hand. Didn't Pep call us the most physical team he has ever played against or something?

Horses for Courses. For me the want of players like Sessegnon or Lo Celso are more about breaking down shit teams we often fail to do with a squad that ought to be more than capable of doing so already.
But my idea is to have a squad that is capable of being the better team in 38 games, or getting as close to that as possible (like City). A bit of form and momentum with last years squad would turn some of those defeats into wins against inferior opposition. But if we sign Lo Celso and Sessegnon, are we really on par with City?
I would like us to bring those players in, but for me it's about having different options for different situations.

With our squad as it is (even if we include Lo Celso and Sessegnon), I would say we lack;
- A solid defending 'backs to the wall' right back
- A quick to release the ball accurately attacking mid (a bit like Eriksen but maybe left footed)
- A fast, potentially lethal back up striker (Gabriel Jesus type)
- And a consistently good corner / set piece taker - which you would hope could be included in the attacking mid player mentioned above.

Sorry to go on a bit. Wasn't necessarily aimed at who I quoted.

If this actually proves to be the case(which is looking quite likely) it's just plain stupid. Foyth is not a right back, and certainly not one that would suit the way we play.
How do you know? He played very well at RB for Argentina and I don't think anyone know what style we'll play next season.

Bloody hell how much does being seen to be crackers knock off your price tag

I think Danny is better than 20mil

I also think it’d be a good move for him . He plays like a warrior and I think some easy french league games won’t do him any harm

He can save himself for the CL games

So torn on this

Gives everything on the pitch ... seems to be getting his preinjury form back
But I can’t get my head around how he is off the pitch

Wish him well if he goes
Happy if he stays

If we do sign Lo Celso and Sessengon, and we can into our first game with a matchday squad of

Lloris
Ndombele - Winks - Lo Celso
Eriksen - Dele
Kane

Gazzaniga, Foyth, Sanchez, Sessengon, Sissoko, Dier, Lucas
I'd be happy. Son is suspended remember.
Foyth is also suspended.

That's debatable. You say why play him in the Champions League rather than Brighton, I'd argue that it was more to do with the fact Aurier he has always confusingly played well in Champions League games but looks like a pub player against mid table Premier League teams. So you'd have to question whether that was down to trust as you say, or just convenience and the obvious fact Trippier couldn't start every game. Aurier also played a few PL games in a row last season sure, but only when Trippier was injured. Not once over the past two years has Pochettino shown any real obvious trust in Aurier when both he and Trippier have both been fit.

Fair enough, this isn't a scenario where I'm claiming to know best, just tracking what we've seen and following a certain logic to a conclusion considering i thought Serge had some encouraging outings last year (esp. compared to the year before). Your counter argument presents somewhat of an anomaly whereupon it seems like an un-calculated risk by Poch to simply go with the idea that Serge, freakishly, is just better in the CL; especially given the scale (importance) of every CL fixture for us.

I guess it's a pretty moot point, by the time the chips have fallen and the new season kicks off, what with KT gone now.

Main point really is, based on what you've seen over the past 2 seasons, would you really be okay with having Aurier and KWP as our two options at right back? Don't get me wrong, I thought Trippier was an average player, but he was probably the best of a bad bunch, so why sell him if we're not going to replace with better, once again unnecessarily weakening the team?

Not sure you're alluding to by "once again unnecessarily weakening the team".

Honestly, I'm thoroughly curious as to what Poch has up his sleeve at RB, but me being me, I'm not inclined to panic in the meantime.... What will disappoint me is if we spend the bulk of the season working it all out on the fly. Most of us expected upheaval at RB, but I expressed before the winow opened that my main hope was that Poch would commit to 2 of the previous 3 and run with it, but here we are seemingly with just a different 3 to deliberate over if you include Foyth.

Similar to yourself, I didn't feel we had a stand-out candidate.

Personal preference wise, I've suspected that Serge had more to offer (a higher ceiling if you will) and was encouraged by his input last season (even if during season 1 of the 2 in question Trippier proven a steadier presence). so to your question, yeh, I'm cool with Serge & KWP if we're not gonna bring anyone new in.

If this actually proves to be the case(which is looking quite likely) it's just plain stupid. Foyth is not a right back, and certainly not one that would suit the way we play.

I don't think Foyth is quick enough off the mark for the majority of games.
KWP is. Serge is quick enough once he gets going.

Foyth does offer some funky passing, decent winner of high balls, a bit of ability to dribble and worryingly the ability to get caught out.

Kid though. Those flaws can probably be ironed out. The risk is hoping that happens within a few weeks. Seems optimistic to me, but wouldnt go out and buy another right back without fucking off Serge or KWP first though.

I also think it’d be a good move for him . He plays like a warrior and I think some easy french league games won’t do him any harm

So torn on this

Wish him well if he goes
Happy if he stays
My guess is that he actively doesn't want to be here any longer, and we just need to offload before issues arise. He's worth more than that, but the priority is probably to keep him away from the squad and get some value for him, even if lower than expected, instead of having him hanging around so we can reinvest.

So torn on this

Wish him well if he goes
Happy if he stays
For me what he does on the pitch is far more important than what he does off of it.

I also think it's cheap but then I thought the same with Trips.

So torn on this

Wish him well if he goes
Happy if he stays
He's worth double that and PSG are flush.

Quite typical in the German sports press to add the City name to a club: Woolwich London, Juventus Turin, Rosenborg Trondheim, you get the drift.
I didn't fight in two world wars so that Fritz could go around incorrectly naming football teams

(pauses to consider Glasgow Rangers, Athletic Bilbao, Sporting Lisbon...)

I surrender!

:freundgoal:

My guess is that he actively doesn't want to be here any longer, and we just need to offload before issues arise. He's worth more than that, but the priority is probably to keep him away from the squad and get some value for him, even if lower than expected, instead of having him hanging around so we can reinvest.
That’s the “painful “ part

Well we start the season with Villa home, City away, Toon home - a week gap between each.
For me, first game we should be winning comfortably, getting players match fit if not already, and preparing for a 6 pointer against City.

Villa: Who will expect a drubbing - big day out, men behind the ball trying to be hard to break down;
Lloris
Winks - N'Dombele - Lo Celso
Moura - Kane - Eriksen

City: Now this is the big one. They will expect to spank us and limit our chances. When we do attack, a bit of magic will be needed so would go with Dele, but more importantly we need to hound and get at them trying to deny space - so a rare Lamela call up for me here, and a proper defender up against Sterling or whoever else goes against our left back. We went with Trippier and Rose in the champions league games last season, but doesn't look like either will be here. Son still suspended.
Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen
Sissoko - N'Dombele
Lamela - Dele - Eriksen
Kane

Toon: Expect that shit show to go down this season, and think we should be going for the jugular on the back of a harsh defeat away to City, which is quite likely. High up wing backs, expect to have the ball more than we need to win it back, but players who can pass through what they will inevitably set up as.
Lloris
Kwp - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Sessegnon
Winks - Lo Celso
Moura - Kane - Son

It goes on form, injuries, performances and everything - but really we should be winning 2 of those games with our 2nd 11. It's the city game we need to look at as the bench mark for our starting 11 being good enough and transfers needed.
The side from last season miraculously managed to score 3 against them away, and the defence held them off at home. But with that logic, City could say 'we should be capable of scoring away to Spurs' when obviously their attack is fucking incredible. They were the better side and lost over 2 legs anyway.

I want us to, and believe we can win the league this season. But that massively comes down to form, momentum, injuries, luck, mental approach to name a few things.
Winning or losing the City game I believe will have quite an impact on momentum and mentality in particular, with Gooners away after the toon game.

Lo Celso and Sessegnon I didn't include in the potential City squad. Do they offer the level of solidity needed for such a task? I'm not convinced. I think that's a game to use our strength and height - dipping into the squad 'depth' for an 11 suitable for the task at hand. Didn't Pep call us the most physical team he has ever played against or something?

Horses for Courses. For me the want of players like Sessegnon or Lo Celso are more about breaking down shit teams we often fail to do with a squad that ought to be more than capable of doing so already.
But my idea is to have a squad that is capable of being the better team in 38 games, or getting as close to that as possible (like City). A bit of form and momentum with last years squad would turn some of those defeats into wins against inferior opposition. But if we sign Lo Celso and Sessegnon, are we really on par with City?
I would like us to bring those players in, but for me it's about having different options for different situations.

With our squad as it is (even if we include Lo Celso and Sessegnon), I would say we lack;
- A solid defending 'backs to the wall' right back
- A quick to release the ball accurately attacking mid (a bit like Eriksen but maybe left footed)
- A fast, potentially lethal back up striker (Gabriel Jesus type)
- And a consistently good corner / set piece taker - which you would hope could be included in the attacking mid player mentioned above.

Sorry to go on a bit. Wasn't necessarily aimed at who I quoted.

I stopped reading when you didn't know that Aurier will almost certainly not be fit for the first couple of games of PL season - he's just come back from Afcon and after ,3 weeks off will start preseason just before PL season starts

Foyth and Son are suspended for the first ,2 games as well.

Back
Top Bottom