Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's already in the team. If he is such a leader then he doesn't need a piece of velcro cloth around his arm to prove it, maybe to sum he does I suppose.

It’s like with anything though isn’t it.
If you’re a good leader at work, but your boss puts two people ahead of you, are you going to go out of your way to do something that isn’t your responsibility?

I wouldn’t.....even subconsciously it’s a case of “you want Hugo, you get Hugo”

It’s like with anything though isn’t it.
If you’re a good leader at work, but your boss puts two people ahead of you, are you going to go out of your way to do something that isn’t your responsibility?

I wouldn’t.....even subconsciously it’s a case of “you want Hugo, you get Hugo”
Within in our Team we have numerous National Team Captians (Son, Aurier, Wanyama, Lloris, Kane) and a bunch of nominated International vice Captains (Toby, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier) and then players who have been handed the armband for Spurs (Vertonghen, Rose, Dele, Dier) these are off the top of my head could be more if I could be bothered to spend time on it???

True leaders are true leaders, that is their behaviour. If they need a bit of material around their bicep to prove it then they aren't true leaders.

Last edited:
I have always felt our skipper should be an outfield player.
If you want to keep Hugo as the captain, fine ,but create a new position for someone else( i would pick Jan)
Official "toe up the lazy sods aris" person or similar...

Within in our Team we have numerous National Team Captians (Son, Aurier, Wanyama, Lloris, Kane) and a bunch of nominated International vice Captains (Toby, Vertonghen, Davies) and then players who have been handed the armband for Spurs (Vertonghen, Rose, Dele) these are off the top of my head could be more if I could be bothered to spend time on it???

True leaders are true leaders, that is their behaviour. If they need a bit of material around their bicep to prove it then they aren't true leaders.

Why did your post make me immediately think Kosielni, Xhaka & the.filth? :kanehand:

I have always felt our skipper should be an outfield player.
If you want to keep Hugo as the captain, fine ,but create a new position for someone else( i would pick Jan)
Official "toe up the lazy sods aris" person or similar...
Again, doesn't matter if you have players that are already recognised Captians playing outfield for us. They don't stop that behaviour if they aren't wearing an armband. This is already communicated to the Ref as well, it's rare you see a ref call Lloris over to him when he needs to talk with the Captain, it's almost always Kane the ref speaks to.

Within in our Team we have numerous National Team Captians (Son, Aurier, Wanyama, Lloris, Kane) and a bunch of nominated International vice Captains (Toby, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier) and then players who have been handed the armband for Spurs (Vertonghen, Rose, Dele, Dier) these are off the top of my head could be more if I could be bothered to spend time on it???

True leaders might think “fuck it” if overlooked though.
He does his job. His job isn’t captain.
I’d like to see him as captain rather than a keeper or a striker but you’re welcome to prefer no leadership whatsoever to Jan.

You keep going on about a ribbon.

It’s not about an armband, it’s about it not being your responsibility because that job has gone to someone else.

I don’t know why you are trying to belittle the position with this “bit of material” crap.
Hugo and Kane also have that “bit of material” yet lack leadership skills during games.
Whoopy

Last edited:

I see what you’re saying and accept that we have a lot of captains but I don’t see any true leaders in our side in the Roy Keane mood which is what we need

As good as a goal..............

6f3f734ecbacdb31d5816457b68f04aa9fed6239.gif

I see what you’re saying and accept that we have a lot of captains but I don’t see any true leaders in our side in the Roy Keane mood which is what we need
I'm a fan of Roy Keane when he played (can't stand him as a pundit) I'm old school, but if Roy Keane was playing today he'd be sent off every other week. People on hear cry when one of our players mistimes a tackle, just look at the pathetic response from our fans when Dele got sent off (rightly) as they acted as he had publicly executed a newborn baby.

IMO The best Captain in the PL the last decade (give or take) has been Kompany. Whilst being a super player he wasn't a thug (I like thugs, Keane was a thug) Kompany was class a calming influence on the pitch not all chest pumping and pointy, pointy, shouty types. When he got involved he was the boss, he had the respect of the opposition too.

Honestly, the one thing we don't lack are leaders, they can be found all over the pitch. But most of all the role of Captain for most teams is not that bigger deal as it once was.

IMO The best Captain in the PL the last decade (give or take) has been Kompany. Whilst being a super player he wasn't a thug (I like thugs, Keane was a thug) Kompany was class a calming influence on the pitch not all chest pumping and pointy, pointy, shouty types. When he got involved he was the boss, he had the respect of the opposition too.

Honestly, the one thing we don't lack are leaders, they can be found all over the pitch. But most of all the role of Captain for most teams is not that bigger deal as it once was.

Can't help but love Kompany...

Back
Top Bottom