Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally I feel that the fans negative treatment of Dier is unwarranted. The manager fucking picks him there and he does great when the rest of the team is supporting him and he is fit. Same with a lot of players really. How about the fact that Poch can't organise his players into a formation that works, and the fact that he managed to get us 86 points with the same or worse squad two years ago. The team used to be able to win by six or seven away from home and carry any players. Was Dier shit then? Yeah, yeah, whatever...
I wouldn't blame Poch bro. He deserves a better squad.

I wouldn't blame Poch bro. He deserves a better squad.

Um, ok, where do I start?

Deserving a better squad is an entirely separate issue to dealing with the squad you do have, which by the way Pochettino is employed to do, did better when he first arrived at the club, and has done poorly at finding basic tactical solutions in the second half of the season by anyone's standards. He converted Dier into a DM, which everyone thought was insane at the time, and it worked. Now everyone is wondering why the fuck another CB isn't playing there because we are getting rinsed in that position no matter who plays and no one is covering whoever does play there. He didn't foresee the problem before the season started and we sold our best CM in January with no World Class replacement.

I can blame the players in the squad if they are all healthy and firing and the structure of the formation makes sense, and if they are going into an already winning, or at least functioning team system. Then, I can blame the chairman or the owners if the manager is practical in his set-up and the players are not good enough. But that cannot just be the only case of negligence when we got 45 points in the first half of the season, and 25 points in the second half. Where the fuck have the twenty points gone? Because we sold one player who was already injured?

On top of that, we normally finish the second half of the season stronger by about ten points under Poch, not weaker by about twenty. This is the first time we are finishing it weaker, and it is not just by a small margin, it is by a thirty point swing. This is completely uncharacteristic from the manager, so much so he was lucky to keep his job through relegation form and the stadium opening, because the only thing realistically saving him was our unexpected first half of the season form and Champions League run.

Add to the fact the media and fans like yourself are convinced that squad depletion means he is exempt from all forms of criticism for not finding better solutions. Not to mention how piss poor the teams were below us were. Ok, squad is worse than Liverpools. Ok, he deserves better. Ok, he is still paid to deal with what he has got in front of him and finish the job for the season. His team capitulated after Burnley away, just like after the battle at the bridge, when he prematurely and publicly declared we were going for a title before the game and came up short yet again.

I would blame Poch bro, and I would back him to set it right next season. They are separate issues.

Dier and Tripper seem to have gone backwards since the World Cup...
I was so proud of them over the Summer...
Dier with his winning Penalty kick against Columbia... and Tripps with his astonishing Free-Kick in the World Cup Semi-Final (lest we forget!)

They coulda been the Nation's darlings... instead, they came back to Spurs and went backwards... wtf happened? are we really the problem...? Or were they expecting big money moves to Barca/Real as a direct result of two 'dead ball kicks'??

Either way, they seem to be the two that have taken the farthest fall from grace (along with Rose for a while, though that was more to do with him talking to the media... and in any case, seems to have redeemed himself somewhat) ...and honestly, it's a real shame, 'cos along with the other clutch of England heroes, they were two of my (and many Spurs fans') favourite players coming into this season...

Any explanations, gratefully received on a Postcard!

He didn't foresee the problem before the season started and we sold our best CM in January with no World Class replacement.

But that cannot just be the only case of negligence when we got 45 points in the first half of the season, and 25 points in the second half. Where the fuck have the twenty points gone? Because we sold one player who was already injured?

Lad you're talking bollocks, im sorry. He wanted a different midfielder but we haven't spent ANY money in two windows if you hadn't fucking noticed. Poch wanted more players but the squad is who he was stuck with. He definitely foresaw the problem but he just got on with it.
His best midfield options are Sissoko and Winks. A 30m player who is improving but still not elite (give Poch credit for that too ffs) and an injury-prone academy player that he blooded into the squad. The fact we have top 4 and a CL semi is insane.

Us having a bad second season? We had NINE players at the World Cup who came back really tired. an INSANE injury run where every player has sat out and didn't bring anyone in. playing AWAY for so long too.

Sorry but fans like you are a JOKE. I've actually just noticed you said our squad was the same/weaker two seasons ago? Are you having a fucking laugh? With a fit Walker/Dembele? You're off your nut and don't know this club. Go ahead and blame Poch, bet you'd be happy when he leaves and our best players decide to fuck off too. Talking about he was lucky to keep his job this season, go support Unai Emery and those jokemen or some shit

Last edited:
D-zJsvFXsAYHA1z.jpg
Dier looks like he needs to take a leaf out of Dele’s fitness regime...

Personally I feel that the fans negative treatment of Dier is unwarranted. The manager fucking picks him there and he does great when the rest of the team is supporting him and he is fit. Same with a lot of players really. How about the fact that Poch can't organise his players into a formation that works, and the fact that he managed to get us 86 points with the same or worse squad two years ago. The team used to be able to win by six or seven away from home and carry any players. Was Dier shit then? Yeah, yeah, whatever...

Absolutely.

The backlash against him is so very much Old Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom