Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sticking this in here as it involves Juan a fair old bit.

With Pochettino experimenting with Juan towards the end of the season, do you think he might bed him into the physicality of the league by doing the following that potentially sees us set up like this:

-------------------------------Lloris-------------------------------

Foyth------Alderweireld---------Vertonghen-----Rose-----

-----------------Winks------------------Ndombele-------------

------------------------------Eriksen------------------------------

-------------Son----------------------------------Dele-----------

--------------------------------Kane-------------------------------

Gazzaniga, Aurier, Sanchez, Davies, Sessegnon, Dier, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Clarke, Lamela, Lucas

Ins: Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Clarke at c£155m

Move Vorm, Trippier, Wanyama, Nkoudou, Janssen, Llorente, Onomah, CCV on at roughly £55m & send KWP, Skipp and Edwards out on loan with call back options. £100m overall spent and serious upgrades invested in apart from at RB where we would be covered by Foyth, Aurier, Dier if need be and KWP who we could always recall from loan (is that still something clubs can do?)

This would give Foyth a year to get serious first team action and us breathing space financially to get a new RB in long term if his preferred position is CB once both Toby and Jan are looking at their swansong.

Foyth or Aurier at RB anyone? I was quietly impressed with Juan when he helped out as fullback towards the end of the campaign and it's clearly something Poch is throwing about in training seeing as he went for it 2-3 times at the business end of the season due to injuries.

I think that's a cracking looking 22 to choose from. It would mean we utilise Davies at both LB & CB as well whilst giving Aurier one last season to show us that he can hack it at this level and also allows us to blood the likes of Clarke and Sessegnon in training and cup games. Good competition for Dele & Eriksen off the bench in Lo Celso as well.

Sticking this in here as it involves Juan a fair old bit.

With Pochettino experimenting with Juan towards the end of the season, do you think he might bed him into the physicality of the league by doing the following that potentially sees us set up like this:

-------------------------------Lloris-------------------------------

Foyth------Alderweireld---------Vertonghen-----Rose-----

-----------------Winks------------------Ndombele-------------

------------------------------Eriksen------------------------------

-------------Son----------------------------------Dele-----------

--------------------------------Kane-------------------------------

Gazzaniga, Aurier, Sanchez, Davies, Sessegnon, Dier, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Clarke, Lamela, Lucas

Ins: Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Clarke at c£155m

Move Vorm, Trippier, Wanyama, Nkoudou, Janssen, Llorente, Onomah, CCV on at roughly £55m & send KWP, Skipp and Edwards out on loan with call back options. £100m overall spent and serious upgrades invested in apart from at RB where we would be covered by Foyth, Aurier, Dier if need be and KWP who we could always recall from loan (is that still something clubs can do?)

This would give Foyth a year to get serious first team action and us breathing space financially to get a new RB in long term if his preferred position is CB once both Toby and Jan are looking at their swansong.

Foyth or Aurier at RB anyone? I was quietly impressed with Juan when he helped out as fullback towards the end of the campaign and it's clearly something Poch is throwing about in training seeing as he went for it 2-3 times at the business end of the season due to injuries.

I think that's a cracking looking 22 to choose from. It would mean we utilise Davies at both LB & CB as well whilst giving Aurier one last season to show us that he can hack it at this level and also allows us to blood the likes of Clarke and Sessegnon in training and cup games. Good competition for Dele & Eriksen off the bench in Lo Celso as well.
Foyth at RB was ok, good even, but then you're wasting a year of him getting experience of CB, which he needs. Not saying he's bad only that he lacks experience. If we fail to sign a Ndombele type etc I would prefer to see him at DM rather RB, if he can't get in at CB. I doubt he will get in ahead of Sanchez at CB if Toby leaves.

Typical Foyth performance. A few good forward passes and blocks, but three needless fouls just outside the box and a yellow card.

I would prefer to see him at DM rather RB, if he can't get in at CB.

I think he would make a great DM. His strength on the ball and confidence to run a little with it is great to watch. It is in contrast to Dier who seems to have his head down of late and either doesn't run at all or just passes it back to Jan/Toby.

Sadly his over-confidence when it comes to tackling works against us. I wonder how much that has to do with Poch though as in his book he mentions he likes his defenders tough. Going so far as to be shocked that the media would praise Toby for his lack of fouls committed.

A quick google of Poch's cards in his career has him sitting on 126 yellows out of 439 games. Also with 15 reds.

Who knows...maybe Poch also told Sonny to punch that annoying cunt in the head. Here's hoping!

I think he would make a great DM. His strength on the ball and confidence to run a little with it is great to watch. It is in contrast to Dier who seems to have his head down of late and either doesn't run at all or just passes it back to Jan/Toby.

Sadly his over-confidence when it comes to tackling works against us. I wonder how much that has to do with Poch though as in his book he mentions he likes his defenders tough. Going so far as to be shocked that the media would praise Toby for his lack of fouls committed.

A quick google of Poch's cards in his career has him sitting on 126 yellows out of 439 games. Also with 15 reds.

Who knows...maybe Poch also told Sonny to punch that annoying cunt in the head. Here's hoping!
Foyth's playing style is similar to Poch's own back in his playing days. So he probably sees a lot of himself in the boy.

Foyth starting at RB for Argentina in the Copa America 1/4 finals vs Venezuela shortly
Seems to have played well according to a few on Twitter:

To be fair... I think most of US could have a decent game at RB against Venuzuela!!

Then again, I'm a big fan of the idea that in Jan, and maybe Foyth, we have CBs who CAN adapt and play at FB...
especially when you consider how many RED cards Aurier is potentially gonna get next season!!
Then again, Foyth will no doubt get his fair share!!

especially when you consider how many RED cards Aurier is potentially gonna get next season!!
Then again, Foyth will no doubt get his fair share!!
Just to put it out there, Serge got carded twice last season.

In his opening season he got 4 yellows and one red in all comps. That's less than Toby who collected 5 yellows this previous season and one more than Trippier.

Serge isn't as much of a wild card as we probably remember him as.

Foyth had a reasonable game with his tackling saving him more than once, pace or rather lack of pace is a big problem for him playing at RB needs to get his positioning right every time ... will be interesting to see if he gets the start against a very pacy Brazil in the semi final on Wednesday

This is sadly true. Serge seems to have developed chronic hamstring problems (3 hamstring injuries this season I believe).
Which tells me he's not flexible enough. This is extreme over simplifying but I had terrible problems with my Achilles being incredibly tight a few years ago, to the point not where it hurt to walk. A couple months after starting daily stretching I have had 0 issues.

Thought Foyth did OK in the QF for Argentina, although as a whole that team are toiling, they seem pretty devoid of any spark or invention at times, very lethargic.
Still, fair play to them, they have made it to the Semis, hopefully it will be a classic against Brazil.

Back
Top Bottom