Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With the state of our squad, we'll need to keep both.

Without getting drawn into the 'they're different players' argument, I've always considered Lucas as a Son substitute, not Dele.

Dele in his current guise could be replaced by anyone to be honest
We (Poch) needs to decide what Deles future is....if it’s as a deep CM, then we might as well cash in now.

I think Ali is a difficult one to manage, for many reasons...

Clearly his upbringing has had a impact on him, which is understandable. He is young, comes from a lower league and is pimped for stacks of commercial campaigns as he is one of the kids/street favourites.

It's therefore no surprise there are a few bumps along the way. If ever there was a player asking for a manager to put their arm around them it's Ali. I worry about him going off the rails, partying too much, getting the hump or distracted.

I believe if he can refocus, the squad around him changes so he is more suited to the formation he will be ok. Certainly needs another season to see which way things are going. way too early to say.

Dele in his current guise could be replaced by anyone to be honest
We (Poch) needs to decide what Deles future is....if it’s as a deep CM, then we might as well cash in now.
Undoubtedly a patchy season, but it's inconceivable he'll be sold unless someone comes in with a £100m+ bid.

Even then I don't think we'd sell.

He's not a midfield player in my view. His best position is playing off Kane up front. Let others do the running!

We all know how good Dele can be. Our poor performances this season have primarily been due to the loss of Dembele controlling our midfield - he could take 2 or 3 players out of the game with a few single strides and open up space for our attackers. Without Demeble, our midfields have had to play the ball back to Alderweirald to make the forward pass; which ultimately gives the opposition time to reshape and get tight.

Ndombele seems to be the player we are looking at; and watching his play he seems to have an appetite for pressing forward and drawing players out of position - exactly what we are currently lacking.

Give Alli a few yards of extra space and watch the magic happen!

Do you think he failed to improve over the last 2 years because his starting spot was almost always guaranteed?
Another comment on the state of our squad following last summer's fiasco.

Not just Dele, almost regardless of performances, Dele, Eriksen, Kane, Son etc. always played because there was no backup and so no competition for places (compounded by the long injury list).

No squad depth - directly attributable to the last two transfer windows and especially last summer.

Dele had a poor end to the season and in particular the CL final but in that game all our forwards were poor - Kane, Eriksen, Son and Moura and Llorente when they came on. Players have off spells and sometimes an off season for whatever reason. Our whole team has struggled to reach the heights of the previous few seasons despite our finishing place and CL run but we have had a lot of injuries that disrupt the team, players played out of position because of this and fatigue after the World Cup.

I remember watching him just after Christmas and he was making all the runs and getting himself in the right places but it just wasn't working out.

Some players just need a good rest and to come back fresh next season.

Its crazy to suggest that we would even consider selling him to buy some expensive untested in this league foreign toy just because you want the club to spend some money.

Don Giovanni Don Giovanni - he's not undroppable, none of our players should be.

Another comment on the state of our squad following last summer's fiasco.

Not just Dele, almost regardless of performances, Dele, Eriksen, Kane, Son etc. always played because there was no backup and so no competition for places (compounded by the long injury list).

No squad depth - directly attributable to the last two transfer windows and especially last summer.
Funny that there was "no replacements" when Moura and Llorente were sitting on our bench. those who got us through the CL quarters and Semis.

But no way they could have used against the likes of Watford or Fulham etc

Every player we are used to performing at a high level underperformed.

Kane had his worst goalscoring season in 5 years.
Dele had his worst goalscoring season in 5 years.
Arguably Eriksens weakest season overall.
Sons goals per game still weren't as good as 16/17.

Not to mention Rose is a shadow of his former self. Trippier underperformed. Vertonghen and Alderweireld aren't what they used to be and we have no true defensive midfielder.

Get the depth in. Sign some players and hopefully everyone can get back to their best.

Every player we are used to performing at a high level underperformed.

Kane had his worst goalscoring season in 5 years.
Dele had his worst goalscoring season in 5 years.
Arguably Eriksens weakest season overall.
Sons goals per game still weren't as good as 16/17.

Not to mention Rose is a shadow of his former self. Trippier underperformed. Vertonghen and Alderweireld aren't what they used to be and we have no true defensive midfielder.

Get the depth in. Sign some players and hopefully everyone can get back to their best.

Everyone seems very comfortable saying this all of a sudden......but during the season, when it was suggested Dele or Eriksen should be benched, people were quick to start saying how they were playing well and only an idiot would drop them.
Then the stats came out to prove it.

People need to remember that Dele was pushed into a deeper role.....at the expense of Winks, Dier, Skipp and Wanyama on many occasions so the “lack of depth” just doesn’t work here.

Eriksen too.
And in the final third there have been countless occasions where they both could have been rested and seen way more rotation with Lamela, Moura and even Llorente in different formations.

No one wanted that, so coming out after the season and saying NOW they were crap is as much an oversight as Poch made during the season.

Everyone seems very comfortable saying this all of a sudden......but during the season, when it was suggested Dele or Eriksen should be benched, people were quick to start saying how they were playing well and only an idiot would drop them.
Then the stats came out to prove it.

People need to remember that Dele was pushed into a deeper role.....at the expense of Winks, Dier, Skipp and Wanyama on many occasions so the “lack of depth” just doesn’t work here.

Eriksen too.
And in the final third there have been countless occasions where they both could have been rested and seen way more rotation with Lamela, Moura and even Llorente in different formations.

No one wanted that, so coming out after the season and saying NOW they were crap is as much an oversight as Poch made during the season.

I don't think Dele has ever played at the expense of Winks.

Skipp is 18 years old and Dier is shit.

So I'd argue our depth probably was an issue or Dele wouldn't have been pushed deeper.

Dele has set high standards. He is still young and i am certain he will be back to his best next season. And to a previous poster, Harry Kane must NEVER EVER be dropped. He is 1 who must play every game possible. Reason. If you get 1 chance in a game, He is the one who i would want it to fall to. Oh and he is God. Dele thread anyway.....

Back
Top Bottom