Breaking the £100m barrier?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As for this spending thing, West Ham spent 105m last season, not that it done them much good but anyhow, they aren’t a top 6 side, they are not even a Europa league team, but spend 105m they can......
Surely, I mean surly we can outlay 100m and not go into administration???????

As for this spending thing, West Ham spent 105m last season, not that it done them much good but anyhow, they aren’t a top 6 side, they are not even a Europa league team, but spend 105m they can......
Surely, I mean surly we can outlay 100m and not go into administration???????

We could, but Daniel Levy is hell bent on winning that "most financially solvent football club ever" trophy.
I think Barron's or The Economist might start awarding it soon, thank goodness.

Daniel Levy is too smart not to realise how important Poch is to the project and the potential loss if he didnt receive the backing he deserves and walked.

We're also 'ahead' in the growing of our brand. There needs to be investment now to maintain the momentum.

Well I really want to believe that will happen, but I will believe it when I see it.

But do you seriously think Levy will do it? Be honest and realistic.

We did it in Summer 2013, breaking the club transfer record twice in the process.

The idea that Tottenham have not made aggressive transfer moves under Daniel Levy is a total myth.

Unless Toby and Eriksen re-sign (which would be ideal!), I don't see how we won't break the 100M barrier. Net spend is a different question.

We did it in Summer 2013, breaking the club transfer record twice in the process.

The idea that Tottenham have not made aggressive transfer moves under Daniel Levy is a total myth.

Unless Toby and Eriksen re-sign (which would be ideal!), I don't see how we won't break the 100M barrier. Net spend is a different question.

That was on the back of windfall profits from the Bale sale. And it was only one time in like 12 seasons.
The record is poor. Do you really think we'll get even 80m for Eriksen this summer?
I honestly can't see it happening right now- RM already made their big signing. Barca are about to do so as well with Griezmann. Who seriously has the money and need to do that? We'll be lucky to spend 90m gbp total, much less 100...

Here are the underlying premises, for me:

1. The stadium delays and cost overruns caused an acute cash flow problem at the club from last summer until the project got completed. We didn't have the upfront wad of cash to spare to seal a transfer at that time. We were and are plenty asset-rich with robust revenue streams, so now that we don't have contractor payrolls to meet, we're fine.

2. There is no way Poch would still be here if selling Eriksen and Toby without adequate replacement were a possibility. Talks have been had, assurances have been given, funds have been made available.

3. The numbers have just changed as the revenue figures have changed. Spurs income has more than quadrupled since 2006, a summer when we bought Darren Bent for 16.5M. You do the math.

Long story short, an outlay of 100M on new players would be perfectly in keeping with the way Levy has run the club and wouldn't really mark a change of direction or a "pushing on" at all. If City were in our position they'd probably give Eriksen and Toby lavish new deals and blow through 250M in transfer fees besides.

That was on the back of windfall profits from the Bale sale. And it was only one time in like 12 seasons.
The record is poor. Do you really think we'll get even 80m for Eriksen this summer?
I honestly can't see it happening right now- RM already made their big signing. Barca are about to do so as well with Griezmann. Who seriously has the money and need to do that? We'll be lucky to spend 90m gbp total, much less 100...
80 million for a player with 1 year left on his contract is going to be hard to get unless theres someone really desperate for his services. I think we will probably accept around 60

We should not get hung up with the amount we spend that is Levy's job. The important thing is that we start the season with a bigger and better squad. We may have to buy players that do not have a sell on value like Llorente. We lost Dembele without replacement and at times fielded very weak benches due to injuries. Anyone who leaves must be replaced and if Eriksen goes then he must be replaced by real quality. There is a place for buying young players like Foyth but they must be in addition if not ready for first team action. I will judge the sucess of the transfer window on the quality of the squad compared to this time last season and not money spent. How we replace Dembele is the first question.

Squad players who will definitely leave:

Janssen, GKN. Total £10m+.

Squad players who will probably leave:

Aurier, Lamela, Wanyama, Onomah. Total £35m+.

1st teamers who may well leave:

Trippier, Toby, Eriksen. Total about £100m.

So that's a total of about £150 mill potential sales. We could spend £200 mill and have a net spend of only 😵 £50 mill.
I think it could happen.

We can’t have 9 out and only 4/5 in. People complain about our squad depth enough.

I am loving the transfer thread but I have a question, we are being linked with loads of players. Most fans expect a couple of signings but do we really believe we will break that £100m barrier in total outlay?
Only if we sell for 110m first

How long have you been around?

What do you mean mate. Been a Spurs fan all my life and I’m 43 now. I know the usual talk is we don’t spend but we ain’t been in this situation before. As Micky Hazard put it in the Last word on Spurs podcast. This is like a perfect storm coming together, achieving what we have, new stadium, training ground. The final, we are on the brink of something and Levy needs to rip up the history books and spend.

What do you mean mate. Been a Spurs fan all my life and I’m 43 now. I know the usual talk is we don’t spend but we ain’t been in this situation before. As Micky Hazard put it in the Last word on Spurs podcast. This is like a perfect storm coming together, achieving what we have, new stadium, training ground. The final, we are on the brink of something and Levy needs to rip up the history books and spend.
We only spend what we raise in sales - this has been by and large true over the last 6-7 seasons especially since the Stadium development as a whole kicked into final gear. Look at our net-spend - we won't spend 100m this summer out of the blue - 99% sure of this. And if so - where would this 100m come from? Joe's ashtray in his Bentley

The money is in someone’s bank mate. Your statement is true but it’s not the whole truth. The income over those years and the lack of outlay would suggest a shit load of cash is somewhere lol. That money has to be released. The moment is now. Not the past 6/7 years. The project is peaking. So either there was a plan to hit this point and then invest or all of this was a Freak of nature and never meant to be. I guess we will see soon enough.

The money is in someone’s bank mate. Your statement is true but it’s not the whole truth. The income over those years and the lack of outlay would suggest a shit load of cash is somewhere lol. That money has to be released. The moment is now. Not the past 6/7 years. The project is peaking. So either there was a plan to hit this point and then invest or all of this was a Freak of nature and never meant to be. I guess we will see soon enough.

Since 2011

2011/12 - Sold for 43.25m / Bought for 9.45m

2012/13 - Sold for 72,78m / Bought for 73,25m

2013/14 - Sold for 135,43m / Bought for 121,88m (sold Bale)

2014/15 - Sold for 44,15m / Bought for 48,47m

2015/16 - Sold for 87,58m / Bought for 71,00m

2016/17 - Sold for 52,30m / Bought for 83,60m

2017/18 - Sold for 103,80m m / Bought for 121,50m

2018/19 - Sold for 5.5m / Bought for - N/A

Back
Top Bottom