Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

£100 M would see us finishing in a Europa league qualifying position with the islington team.
It will take double that amount of investment to finish in the top four again - that was my point!
I know ha. I was agreeing with you. 100m won't make a significant difference especially as we missed out on a whole summer window. So we are playing catch up as shown in our form since about February.

Love Poch and hope he does stay for years.

His insistance on picking a not fit / remotely near normal Kane is beyond grating though.
To then compound it by leaving him on for the whole game seems very odd, when the fit players who won the semi are champing at the bit to get on the pitch and make the difference Kane was so obviously not able to do.

Something happened between the half time talk of the CL semi and the final. So subdued. The whole team. Is it just me or was it almost like he (and the team) were told to fall on their swords? (I did say "like".) Not playing our Hat trick hero from the start - was that just caving to Player Power? Every time Harry is absent and returns the team's cohesiveness and results dip. Can't ignore the stats. Love Poch and hope he doesn't leave - just some questions lingering in my mind.

His insistance on picking a not fit / remotely near normal Kane is beyond grating though.
To then compound it by leaving him on for the whole game seems very odd, when the fit players who won the semi are champing at the bit to get on the pitch and make the difference Kane was so obviously not able to do.
Something happened between the half time talk of the CL semi and the final. So subdued. The whole team. Is it just me or was it almost like he (and the team) were told to fall on their swords? (I did say "like".) Not playing our Hat trick hero from the start - was that just caving to Player Power? Every time Harry is absent and returns the team's cohesiveness and results dip. Can't ignore the stats. Love Poch and hope he doesn't leave - just some questions lingering in my mind.

Poch fucked up, and this final will always be the one that got away.
If we win nothing under his tenure it’s not because the club don’t match his ambition, it’s cos he fucked up

Pochettino has been great for the club and if he stays I’m sure - with the right resources he will again do great things. He has earned our respect and all the praise he has received and is receiving; but nobody is beyond criticism!

I see Southgate is not starting Captain Harry Kane Tonight but instead he will be on the bench. What a difference a week makes; if only Pochettino had risen above loyalty to his captain this time last week and made Harry sub instead of starting him in the final.... if only!

You could so easily have been lynched for saying that pre 8 pm last Saturday 😜

Pochettino has been great for the club and if he stays I’m sure - with the right resources he will again do great things. He has earned our respect and all the praise he has received and is receiving; but nobody is beyond criticism!

I see Southgate is not starting Captain Harry Kane Tonight but instead he will be on the bench. What a difference a week makes; if only Pochettino had risen above loyalty to his captain this time last week and made Harry sub instead of starting him in the final.... if only!

Can't say what would have happened without Kane on the pitch. Pure speculation. But I would also like to point out, that Loris is our captain and not Kane.

Cretinous _Cnt

I suspect the username you have was afforded you by someone else - very likely your wife but you misspelt the crude term for vagina she obviously meant and instead used a four legged mountain mammal.

Kane should have been sub and if necessary a sub that was when necessary- himself later substituted. Lucas sitting chomping at the bit on the bench despite his heroics in Amsterdam, was itself borderline criminal, and Pochettino’s wayward judgment cost us the privilege of compounding @rsenals suffering by winning this trophy ahead of them. I live around these bastards and the parties and singing went on well in to Sunday morning.

Thanks Pochettino!

Can't say what would have happened without Kane on the pitch. Pure speculation. But I would also like to point out, that Loris is our captain and not Kane.

Yes I was in England mode re Kane and Southgate will have his captain on the bench tonight!

Yes I was in England mode re Kane and Southgate will have his captain on the bench tonight!

You are also comparing Pochettino to Southgate who for me isn't a great example to compare to. I like Southgate but he's had 2 days with Kane, Pochettino analysed Kane over a 3 week period.

The England squad have been together for numerous weeks before the Champions League final, the finalists have 1-2 days with each other. There are rumours that Henderson is going to be on the bench tonight so does this reaffirm that Kane isn't fit or simply that Southgate prefers a settled first XI based on who he has worked with over the last couple of weeks?

It also needs to be taken into account that Harry has played 1 competitive game of football in 7 weeks. Tonight's game isn't a one off it's a semi final whereby the winning (and losing) team will be playing again in 3 days time. Is Southgate saying Kane isn't fit, Isn't fit enough to start or is he preserving his big assets for a game deemed more vital in the final? Does Southgate prefer Harry off of the bench unlike Pochettino did or does he have his eye on what he's been working on for a solid couple of weeks which of course won't involve Harry as he hasn't been with the camp?

It's all hear say but I still stand by my belief that Pochettino was right in giving our biggest asset a start last Saturday. We will never know if it was a horrendously wrong choice as we don't have the capacity to play the game again from the off. For me the big decision was if I tried should be Son or Lucas, not Lucas or Harry but that's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. It's a game of opinions and for me the decision of what happened with Harry was always going to be a dicey one that got praise if we had one and a bashing if we didn't. That's part and parcel of being a football manager.

You are also comparing Pochettino to Southgate who for me isn't a great example to compare to. I like Southgate but he's had 2 days with Kane, Pochettino analysed Kane over a 3 week period.

The England squad have been together for numerous weeks before the Champions League final, the finalists have 1-2 days with each other. There are rumours that Henderson is going to be on the bench tonight so does this reaffirm that Kane isn't fit or simply that Southgate prefers a settled first XI based on who he has worked with over the last couple of weeks?

It also needs to be taken into account that Harry has played 1 competitive game of football in 7 weeks. Tonight's game isn't a one off it's a semi final whereby the winning (and losing) team will be playing again in 3 days time. Is Southgate saying Kane isn't fit, Isn't fit enough to start or is he preserving his big assets for a game deemed more vital in the final? Does Southgate prefer Harry off of the bench unlike Pochettino did or does he have his eye on what he's been working on for a solid couple of weeks which of course won't involve Harry as he hasn't been with the camp?

It's all hear say but I still stand by my belief that Pochettino was right in giving our biggest asset a start last Saturday. We will never know if it was a horrendously wrong choice as we don't have the capacity to play the game again from the off. For me the big decision was if I tried should be Son or Lucas, not Lucas or Harry but that's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. It's a game of opinions and for me the decision of what happened with Harry was always going to be a dicey one that got praise if we had one and a bashing if we didn't. That's part and parcel of being a football manager.

Why so long winded?
Be it Pochettino or Southgate: the question is the same. Do you put a semi final hat- trick hero on the bench so as to start a player that has been out crocked since the first leg of the quarterfinals. I work in construction and don’t claim to have the skills either Southgate or Pochettino have; but I do have some footballing common sense and I was arguing this point immediately after Amsterdam so how did Pochettino mess up so badly - why did he cave in? And cave in is exactly what he did!

Why so long winded?
Be it Pochettino or Southgate: the question is the same. Do you put a semi final hat- trick hero on the bench so as to start a player that has been out crocked since the first leg of the quarterfinals. I work in construction and don’t claim to have the skills either Southgate or Pochettino have; but I do have some footballing common sense and I was arguing this point immediately after Amsterdam so how did Pochettino mess up so badly - why did he cave in? And cave in is exactly what he did!

Did Klopp put a 2 goal hero in Origi on the bench to start off with and is Liverpool's depth as a squad greater than ours?

Would you feel the same about Kane not starting if we had won a 1st half penalty and Son or Lucas taken it and missed like both have done already this season I believe? It's all hear say, there's no way of knowing that if Kane hadn't started and Lucas had that we would have won 1-0 or lost by even more. Impossible to say or to conclude but with my hand on heart, I do think playing Harry in a one off biggest game was the right call.

In the league games played after Kane got injured we played 6, won 2 and lost 3 & drew 1, meaningless game at the end of the season

Huddersfield - won 4-0
Man City - lost 1-0
Brighton - won 1-0
West Ham - lost 1-0
Bournemouth - lost 1-0
Everton - drew 2-2

Apart from the brace Sonny scored in the quarter finals, one of which went straight through the goalkeeper, he hasn't exactly been in great form. Yes he missed the last game of the season but I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Sonny over Lucas. Just my opinion though.

Personally I don't think it was Pochettino caving in, I think he did what he felt was right and that was play one of the worlds best strikers in a Champions League final. Right or wrong or what his reasons were we aren't to know. It was harsh on Lucas but he did still get 30 minutes to impacts the game and the best chance did fall to his feet which he scuffed across the floor when it landed to his feet at a very good distance out.

I don't know what was the right call or not, all I know was when I saw the teamsheet I was happy with what I saw knowing Lucas could change a game off the bench more than I believed Harry or Sonny could. That for me was a deciding factor that made sense to me more so than any reasons people can speculate about but as mentioned it's each to their own.

Klopp could afford easily to leave a two goal hero on the bench, especially one that actually came off of the bench to bag two goals previously. It’s the reason David Fairclough got the title super sub; if you are of the caliber to score coming off the bench and in post match interview you state “ I was mad at the manager for putting me on the bench!” Any sensible manager ie Klopp will know that this players starting position is ON THE BENCH!

Klopp could afford easily to leave a two goal hero on the bench, especially one that actually came off of the bench to bag two goals previously. It’s the reason David Fairclough got the title super sub; if you are of the caliber to score coming off the bench and in post match interview you state “ I was mad at the manager for putting me on the bench!” Any sensible manager ie Klopp will know that this players starting position is ON THE BENCH!

And for me Pochettino couldn't afford to keep one of the best strikers on the world on the bench for a game like this one.

The gaffer had seen enough of Kane in 3 weeks of training to make a call. Kane seemed perfectly fine running onto the pitch to celebrate vs Ajax away and that was a full 3 and a halfway weeks before the final. I trust Poch and I'll go with his decision on this one as he knows more.

A quick one regarding Winks. I thought he was one of our best players on the night and the guy has only played 21 minutes since the end of February in the league for us and hadn't actually played a game since the Palace home game where he came off the bench towards the end. His last full 90 minutes was back when we lost 2-0 away at Chelsea yet I don't hear or see many saying it was a bad call from Pochettino even though Winksy had been out far longer than Harry had been. Sometimes it breaks for you, sometimes it doesn't that's how I see it, none of us will know.

Harry in the Nations League is one I will be keeping an eye on closely however.

I agree Harry Winks along with Rosey and the keeper stood up to the cause on Saturday. You’d be hard pushed to say who else did. I’d say Lucas was pretty much demoralised not being started and actually in my argument that Kane should be on the bench I also said ( rightly or wrongly) that Harry Winks should not start either- my argument was always about players that were currently coming back from injury.

Incidentally, any notion that Southgate is saving Kane for a potential final against Portugal is fanciful. Southgate knows Pochettino got it wrong and is clearly doing what he would have done in pochettinos place last Saturday night!

You really are an angry man goat......perhaps you should take an anger awareness course?.......just saying.....:pochrolleyes:

He’s not an angry man that needs anger awareness but one that needs how to improve his spelling: as the colloquial term for virgina is not spelt G.O.A.T

hopefully poch will be able motivate this squad and himself for new heights for next season. i have interesting feeling that heads were gone in club before final and it is considered that this is maximum we can get as achievement. we must fight for pl title for next season and I want see determination from poch, levy and players in that sense.

And for me Pochettino couldn't afford to keep one of the best strikers on the world on the bench for a game like this one.

The gaffer had seen enough of Kane in 3 weeks of training to make a call. Kane seemed perfectly fine running onto the pitch to celebrate vs Ajax away and that was a full 3 and a halfway weeks before the final. I trust Poch and I'll go with his decision on this one as he knows more.

A quick one regarding Winks. I thought he was one of our best players on the night and the guy has only played 21 minutes since the end of February in the league for us and hadn't actually played a game since the Palace home game where he came off the bench towards the end. His last full 90 minutes was back when we lost 2-0 away at Chelsea yet I don't hear or see many saying it was a bad call from Pochettino even though Winksy had been out far longer than Harry had been. Sometimes it breaks for you, sometimes it doesn't that's how I see it, none of us will know.

Harry in the Nations League is one I will be keeping an eye on closely however.

Harry Kane one of the best players in the world.... our best player!

That was the argument of the media and everyone else: he must start they said!

That is exactly what I mean when I say Poch caved in: he caved in to media and peer pressure.

Back
Top Bottom