Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We're not discussing his wage packet. We're discussing his desire to get some serious backing in the transfermarket for a change.

Sure. But the underlying suggestion is that, without serious backing, he's going to walk away.

But he'd be walking away from £8 million a year at a stable club where he's adored.

No John, you're just latching onto other discussions trying to steer things onto a platform for you to cunt off the chairman.

So transparent.
Why should Poch's salary be factor in his ambition to be successful and win things though. He wants the tools and the backing to give him a punchers chance.
Surely surely wether he's on the minimum wage or a billion a year is irrelevant in that respect.

Why should Poch's salary be factor in his ambition to be successful and win things though. He wants the tools and the backing to give him a punchers chance.
Surely surely wether he's on the minimum wage or a billion a year is irrelevant in that respect.

....John, you're just latching onto other discussions trying to steer things onto a platform for you to cunt off the chairman.

So transparent.
:harrysmile:

Sure. But the underlying suggestion is that, without serious backing, he's going to walk away.

But he'd be walking away from £8 million a year at a stable club where he's adored.
But if he gets the chance to earn £8 million elsewhere without working with his hands tied up he's going to seriously give it consideration.
I think he wants nothing more than to stay at Spurs. But he knows he can't improve or even sustain our position without a serious shift in the clubs priorities.
That's pretty much what he, and Balague, have been saying these past few weeks

But if he gets the chance to earn £8 million elsewhere without working with his hands tied up he's going to seriously give it consideration.
I think he wants nothing more than to stay at Spurs. But he knows he can't improve or even sustain our position without a serious shift in the clubs priorities.

Sure. But there are about seven other clubs that will pay him that money. Germany/France/Italy offer zero competition in terms of who wins the league. So it comes down to Madrid or UTD. One doesn’t offer CL and the other is a toxic cesspool that he will get the chance to manage whenever he wants.

You might be right, he might want unlimited funds. But he doesn’t strike me as that sort of character.

JT, a quick one mate what kind of budget do you think is acceptable for both club and manager going into this new chapter and summer window? Interested to know as whilst we both have somewhat different opinions on matters regarding Levy and the board you do seem like you give it plenty of thought.

I'm saying £100m + any sales money in should be more than enough to keep Pochettino more than happy. My old man thinks he needs t be given £300m :pochfacepalm:

JT, a quick one mate what kind of budget do you think is acceptable for both club and manager going into this new chapter and summer window? Interested to know as whilst we both have somewhat different opinions on matters regarding Levy and the board you do seem like you give it plenty of thought.

I'm saying £100m + any sales money in should be more than enough to keep Pochettino more than happy. My old man thinks he needs t be given £300m :pochfacepalm:

How many champions league quality players does £100 M buy today? Perhaps 1.5 if lucky and half a player is not much kop. It will definitely need a war chest in excess of 200 M to even contemplate closing the gap on Lpool and City.. we only finished in the top four because our closest rivals both imploded and I don’t see that happening two seasons in a row.

Levi’s shrewdness or stubbornness will I suspect see pchettino moving on - he pretty much told us so several months ago.

How many champions league quality players does £100 M buy today? Perhaps 1.5 if lucky and half a player is not much kop. It will definitely need a war chest in excess of 200 M to even contemplate closing the gap on Lpool and City.. we only finished in the top four because our closest rivals both imploded and I don’t see that happening two seasons in a row.

Levi’s shrewdness or stubbornness will I suspect see pchettino moving on - he pretty much told us so several months ago.
If poch gets 100m it's very harsh to expect him to get us in to the top 2.

£100m cold hard cash along with any outs could easily equate to roughly £200m. Personally I think it's time Levy sanctions these funds as a gesture for how far we've gone in the Champions League and it's time Poch showed some wheeling and dealing levels. He can't expect shit hot £50m players all the time from here on in, just like Levy can't expect a Dele or a Toby every window.

We can't expect fireworks at the level Liverpool received last summer but I do think we need to flex a little muscle now. Get the club bouncing again and get some buzz about the place with a comfortable top 3 and another shit hot cup run odds on for us going into the next campaign.

Ndombele, Lo Celso & Atal would be a great summer for me. Get those 3 or something of similar calibre and I don't think anyone can have any complaints.

£100m cold hard cash along with any outs could easily equate to roughly £200m. Personally I think it's time Levy sanctions these funds as a gesture for how far we've gone in the Champions League and it's time Poch showed some wheeling and dealing levels. He can't expect shit hot £50m players all the time from here on in, just like Levy can't expect a Dele or a Toby every window.

We can't expect fireworks at the level Liverpool received last summer but I do think we need to flex a little muscle now. Get the club bouncing again and get some buzz about the place with a comfortable top 3 and another shit hot cup run odds on for us going into the next campaign.

Ndombele, Lo Celso & Atal would be a great summer for me. Get those 3 or something of similar calibre and I don't think anyone can have any complaints.

Nailed.... BANG ON.

Both parties have to evolve.... It's not simply a case of "get the cheque-book out, Levy".

I'd like to be left feeling confident that our scouts are significantly more sussed than TFC's resident armchair scouting network too. :)

I'd like to be left feeling confident that our scouts are significantly more sussed than TFC's resident armchair scouting network too.

That's probably the most important element.

We need to be picking up the 16-20 year old prospects, alongside marquee signings. The stuff to avoid is the £30million dross.

I'd say your'e £100million, considering the size of the club, our revenues, fan base etc is the minimum we should be able to spend on reinforcements each season.
Consdidering we haven't spent a shekel since January the season before last, I think Poch will be hugely frustrated if we continue to miss his targets because of our unwillingness to adapt to the current market.
I don't think Poch wants players because they're expensive, he just realizes that the players that we need to keep the club competing for the top prizes are likely to cost more than Levy's been willing to pay.
Anyone who's honest with themselves would have to admit the football team has not been the priority for many years now. Poch clearly wants that to change.

I wish it was the wrong word mate. Would it be any better though if starting unfit Kane was totally on his own call? Again??
How can any of us presume to know what goes on behind the scenes, who is fit, fully fit or deemed to be fit enough for a 1 off final. Kane was a long way from his best and lacking sharpness but so were a lot of supposedly 'fit' players, Eriksen, Dele, Son (at times) and Moura when he came on.

If the manager thinks he is fit enough then I'm happy with that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but a 'cowardly' decision - no.

I actually thought playing with Kane up top may have allowed us to hold the ball up a little bit better as 2nd leg against Ajax we couldn't do that with Son and Moura until Llorente came on.

Agreed. There is no shame in that, & it is a good target & achievement. But you would think eventually poch will want more. We just have to hope it isn't for a few more years.
And there is a big difference between finishing 4th and challenging deep into the season and finishing 4th having a dismal domestic end to the season and clinging on to finish 20+ points behind again.

Here’s the difference.
Klopp dragged him off and corrected his mistake and Liverpool are champions of Europe.
Why would anyone talk about it?

I swear some of you would rather lose with Kane than win with Llorente
If Kane had been taken off I wouldn't have complained but I don't presume to know better than the management and they have access to a whole load of information we don't.

The other big difference was Liverpool were 1 goal up, defending fairly comfortably and happy to not chase the game further whereas we had to score so why not keep Kane on whilst bringing Llorente on.

That's probably the most important element.

We need to be picking up the 16-20 year old prospects, alongside marquee signings. The stuff to avoid is the £30million dross.

It's actually bizarre how that used to be our strength for years but we've gone away from it after 2015. When we were a Europa League outfit I'm pretty sure had James Maddison, David Brooks, Youri Tielemans been available we'd have snapped up at least one. Instead we are now a Champions League club who chose not to spend a penny and talk as if it's world class or nothing.

It's actually bizarre how that used to be our strength for years but we've gone away from it after 2015. When we were a Europa League outfit I'm pretty sure had James Maddison, David Brooks, Youri Tielemans been available we'd have snapped up at least one. Instead we are now a Champions League club who chose not to spend a penny and talk as if it's world class or nothing.

Big part of the quandry.... EL is the perfect blooding ground for youngsters and new signings.... Now we have to rely on the early League Cup ties or injuries and fixture congestion forcing out hand.

Also See KWP, Skipp etc.

Last edited:
Big part of the quandry.... EL is the perfect blooding ground for youngsters and new signings.... Now we have to rely on the early League Cup ties or injuries and fixture congestion mass forcing out hand.

Also See KWP, Skipp etc.

You're conclusion is right but I don't agree with the reasoning if this is indeed the club's view. If Dele Alli were coming through at MK Dons now we'd probably not go in for him and that's bad policy. No one expected Dele to make the jump up so quickly and so well but he did and £5m looks a bargain. This season was his first "poor" season but it's relative to the high standards he set so early.

If we were to buy Maddison now we're talking a fee north of £40m. Ditto with Brooks. 12 months ago they cost £30m between them. Both would have got into our team on the basis of the seasons they had, coupled with our out of form / lack of options during the season too. We can't miss out on these players.

Back
Top Bottom