Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We didn't play better in the semis or quarters than last night. Last night we played against a team that sat back and soaked up pressure, which meant we couldn't counter attack as we did against City and Ajax and as we have seen in numerous league games this season we simply don't have the quality to dictate games and pick teams open, especially a team with defenders as good as the dippers. That coupled with us not getting the breaks as we did against Ajax and City meant we lost the game.

Seriously mate I know we're all hurting after last night but you need to get your head out of the sand.

Head out of the sand? Try that yourself.

City and Ajax were both ten times the opponent Liverpool were, who played breathtaking attacking football in relentless wave after wave, yet we held our own at the back, won two of the four games, scored 7, and six of those were away.

Liverpool got a 30 second break, then went timewasting and long ball for the rest of the game. We played the entire firs half like it was 0-0, took even longer than Liverpool with our throw ins, and our first shot on target was an 85th minute set piece.
We outplayed them in central midfield and played it well out of the back, ergo, the defence and midfield largely did what it was supposed to.

The attack and manager did not, Liverpool were happy to sit back knowing we struggle to create if we play that way.

If you think we attacked better against Liverpool, who were total shit, than we did against City amd Ajax, who were fucking immense, then good for you mate. Good for you.

Easy to say that with hindsight tho, innit...

I believe he was left on cos the boy is a lethal finisher and Poch knew we'd likely go route one sooner or later if our attacking play continued to not click.... Ultimately, I don't think HK was significantly worse than the other lads in attack so don't feel inclined to call him/Poch out over it.

Nowhere did I say it "worked", mind.

You don't need hindsight. He was pretty much excactly as efficient as he has ever been in his first games in a new season/after injury. His performance was, if anything, slightly better than I expected.

Harry deserved to start. I'm glad that he did he has done so much for our club and has committed his loyalty where many in the past chose not to. It was the biggest game of his life and whilst I feel bad for Lucas, he did manage to get a solid half hour under his belt.

It was a really tough call but he lasted the whole 90 minutes and it didn't go our way. We dust ourselves down and move on

Ledley King should have started then.

What really fucked me off this season was him talking about being a NFL kicker in the future. What the fuck is that. Trying not to think about pochettino giving him the full 90 as it saddens me. Do you think he might have a penalty clause in his deal that when he is fit he must start otherwise he gets an additional 100k or something. A bit like Sanchez at utd in reverse.

Concentrate on recovery and being our leader again. A fit and firing Kane to start next season, with the addition of a couple of proven signings and I'll be delighted.

The whole match was an anti climax and I really never got excited by the play. Disappointing

This - if you had told me that I'd be BORED during a Champions league final Spurs in it I'd have laughed my head off.

But the fact of the matter is that neither teams put on a show - neither really looked like they desperately wanted it?

Where was the fight from the City, Ajax and Barca games?

It was a truly bizarre final totally cocked up by the stupid penalty at the beginning.

Surely common sense should prevail - when the ball hit Sissoko on the shoulder it was heading absolutely nowhere away from the goal - did the fact that it hit his shoulder give an advantage in any way shape or form? Absolutely not. The awarding of a penalty from an incident like that is absolutely ridiculous. The punishment is beyond severe.

But - and it's the most important but...... You don't win many games by not scoring and we failed to do that..... Even when Liverpool were playing their worst football of the entire season.

Last edited:
It sends out the message that no matter what you do, you will always be on the bench and no matter what Kane does or doesn’t do, he will always start.

There is no other message

It's ridiculous can you imagine someone like Brian Clough or Alex Ferguson starting Kane in that final. Nope and they are proven winners who did exactly what needed to be done to get the win and couldn't care less about names.

Everyone makes right and wrong calls but starting Kane was the wrong decision.

It's ridiculous can you imagine someone like Brian Clough or Alex Fergus on starting Kane in that final. Nope and they are proven winners who did exactly what needed to be done to get the win and couldn't care less about names.

Everyone makes right and wrong calls but starting Kane was the wrong decision.

And even if they did start him, like klopp with firmino, once they realised it wasnt working they would have subbed him. I was going fucking berserk, even got mugged off by a few yids in Madrid for saying kane has to be subbed. But he did nothing all game.

And even if they did start him, like klopp with firmino, once they realised it wasnt working they would have subbed him. I was going fucking berserk, even got mugged off by a few yids in Madrid for saying kane has to be subbed. But he did nothing all game.

If you can't see that he was nowhere close to being in the game and sub him off then it's not about a lack of vision or understanding I'm afraid - it signals something much worse like a clause in his contract or something.

I refuse to believe that Poch couldn't see how ineffectual he was.

Poch is a loser. He never learns and he has no killer instinct. Most of the wins we have had in the CL stemmed from an injury forcing Poch to take action that changed the game - not of his own volition. Kane tweeted we will learn from this - well, why the fuck have they not learnt from the previous 10 semi finals and finals in a row we have cocked up??

Why did Poch not already learn that a winning team is fucked up when a half fit Kane is plonked back into it.

It's sad that it had to end this way. Unlike with Liverpool, I don't see us being back in this game within most of our lifetimes. We had our chance, and like always the Club let us all down.

A child recently said to me "why do you support Spurs, they only make you angry and upset?" I don't really have an answer to be honest. Is the 5 minutes of joy of Moura scoring in the last second v Ajax worth 40 years of hurt and disappointment?

arrrrrggghhhh

Let's see if Southgate starts him Thursday. If he does it is an endorsement of Poch's decision but if not then reflects badly on him as he is saying he is not match fit.

At the expense of the man who scored three in the semi?

Yes - harsh on Moura, but over the course of the season Kane has scored more than Moura. Can't make selection decisions based on one match. No matter how important that performance was. It was more likely, that Kane would affect the game, than Moura.

We would likely never of been in the CL full stop under Poch without Kane people are to harsh and are just being wise after the event.

Just people clinging to excuses because we lost, that's all.

Like people moaning about a ball hitting Sissokos hand when we'd have been fuming had it not been given for us.

It was a shit boring final, in which we sadly couldn't score despite Alisson making more saves in CL final history. We move on.

Never thought I'd see the day that our own fans are more insufferable than Liverpool fans. And they fucking won the thing.

Just people clinging to excuses because we lost, that's all.

Like people moaning about a ball hitting Sissokos hand when we'd have been fuming had it not been given for us.

It was a shit boring final, in which we sadly couldn't score despite Alisson making more saves in CL final history. We move on.

I genuinely would say that was never a penalty in a million years whoever it went for or against.

Other than that I agree it's done no use crying over spilt milk and let's just hope we use what we gained from this campaign and give it a better go next year.

I genuinely would say that was never a penalty in a million years whoever it went for or against.

Other than that I agree it's done no use crying over spilt milk and let's just hope we use what we gained from this campaign and give it a better go next year.

I don't think it was either. He's too close to Mane, it hits his chest first and in replay, he looks to be getting his arm out of the way once it hits his chest but because he's so close to Mane there's barely any time to react.

But if that was the other way round and Son kicked it off VVDs chest onto his arm and it WASN'T given, you could bet thered be thread after thread on how there's a conspiracy not to have given us a penalty 30 seconds in etc.

It is what it is. Disappointing. But not the end of the world. In fact, whilst I was sad after the match, I was more disappointed that we couldn't really force a goal or force them to worry abit. It was all abit pre season and considering there was a 3 week break after the end of the season, bloody seemed like it with both sets of players too.

I don't think it was either. He's too close to Mane, it hits his chest first and in replay, he looks to be getting his arm out of the way once it hits his chest but because he's so close to Mane there's barely any time to react.

But if that was the other way round and Son kicked it off VVDs chest onto his arm and it WASN'T given, you could bet thered be thread after thread on how there's a conspiracy not to have given us a penalty 30 seconds in etc.

It is what it is. Disappointing. But not the end of the world. In fact, whilst I was sad after the match, I was more disappointed that we couldn't really force a goal or force them to worry abit. It was all abit pre season and considering there was a 3 week break after the end of the season, bloody seemed like it with both sets of players too.

Fact is penalty or not it was in the first minute and not the last we had a great oppotuni th to turn it around but never looked at all like scoring, at the same time Liverpool never really turned the screw and didn't deserve much either but thems the breaks and you gotta suck it up and move on.

We would likely never of been in the CL full stop under Poch without Kane people are to harsh and are just being wise after the event.

It's not people being wise because there is ample evidence of Kane's form and quality post-injury.

Also, players can't live on past glories. Kane may have been instrumental in the club's recent rise, but if he's gonna perform as anonymously as he did, then he doesn't deserve to start- and at the very least should have been hooked early. Problem is Poch won't hook Kane if penalties were a possibility, which means that he shouldn't have bloody started in the first place.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing if Kane can hit his previous heights next season with more rest. We've been saying that he's been unrecognizable since last April due to injury and being unfit, but perhaps the injuries have taken their toll and he is no longer the same player.

And if so, he needs to accept that Spurs, whether under Poch or not, may change their style of play away from this over-reliance on Kane. We've proven time and again we can win and play well without him, so if he's not gonna contribute as much as he used to, well he doesn't deserve a guaranteed starting place.

Lastly, Poch also persisted with Trippier for pretty much the entire season. Was it deserved? Seems more like favourites and further proof that he may not win anything in his career if he cannot make tough calls. Poch's mentality is as big a question mark as the team's.

The hyperbole across the board has been incredible over the past few days.

Why is it hyperbol when Poch gets it wrong and Kane plays poorly?

But when Trippier or Dier or Wanyama or Davies play poorly THE SQUAD IS SHIT THE WINDOW WAS A DISASTER!!!!!!

What’s interesting is that the usual suspects didn’t take part, and Trippier had an ok game.
Dele, Eriksen and Kane did fuck all and some people are having a real problem admitting it.

The silence from most has been deafening.

Also funny how you spent January telling me just how many goals we had scored and just how many games we had won and just how good we were in the 30 odd games Kane has missed through injury in the last three years....and that’s why we didn’t need to sign a striker.

But now it wasn’t a mistake to throw him into the final?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom