We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the cold light of day, if WE'D have got 90+ Points in a league season, and STILL missed out by a point...
...and come back from 0-3 down against arguably one of the greatest modern teams on the planet, and STILL missed out on a trophy... I'd be pissed off!
especially making a CL Final for a 2nd consecutive season after losing so badly last year...

We deserved to be in the Final based on our journey to it...
And putting aside the 'destiny' and 'redemption' narratives for a moment, maybe Liverpool did get what they deserved this season...

'cos WE certainly over achived!

Only upside was the streaking girl with the massive arse.
eQrD2DV.jpg

Her

on the subject of the laws around handball.
the following link is to the official FIFA/IFAB rules booklet for 2018/2019.
to save people the bother of looking,

Handling the ball
Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm. The following must be considered:
• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. Inside their penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick or any related sanction but can be guilty of handling offences that incur an indirect free kick.

if you do want to look, its page 102 on the attached link

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/khhloe2xoigyna8juxw3.pdf

some of these are changing. these are the changes for next year:

Handball - Law 12
Changes
  • Deliberate handball remains an offence
  • The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
    • The ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
    • A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm•and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

• The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
    • If a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)
    • If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball
  • Explanation
    Greater clarity is needed for handball, especially on those occasions when ‘non- deliberate’ handball is an offence. The re-wording follows a number of principles:
    • Football does not accept a goal being scored by a hand/arm (even if accidental)
    • Football expects a player to be penalised for handball if they gain possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm and gain a major advantage e.g. score or create a goal-scoring opportunity
    • It is natural for a player to put their arm between their body and the ground for support when falling.
    • Having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a ‘natural’ position and a player is ‘taking a risk’ by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding
    • If the ball comes off the player’s body, or off another player (of either team) who is close by, onto the hands/arms it is often impossible to avoid contact with the ball
    • When the GK clearly kicks or tries to kick the ball into play, this shows no intention to handle the ball so, if the ‘clearance’ attempt is unsuccessful, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball without committing an offence

the line I've emboldened is the one designed to stop players whacking the ball at someones arm.
under both sets of laws, last night wasnt a penalty. this years laws, absolutely not. next years laws, arguably not.

law changes

Sitting in Zaragoza airport awaiting my flight.Broken,down hearted but far from defeated.With our new stadium/increased revenue I sense more of these nights will happen in the near future.A massive thank you to the players who took us this far.I think this transfer window is going to be absolutely crucial, get it right and we will only go from strength to strength, get it wrong/fail to invest and things could begin to unravel.
Whatever,I love this club,I always have and I always will #COYS

The front four bumbled about last night, and weren’t great, but the first 45 minutes we couldn’t get out and transition because Sissoko was panicking and bunting the ball backwards constantly. Or just not showing to receive the ball. And that first half when they are further up the pitch is when, if we can break through their lines and get the ball to the front four more often, they’d have had better overloads, instead of like the second half when Liverpool sat deeper.

Poch playing a cm2 against their 433 didn’t help either. But if we want to be a team that plays out from the back, Poch has got to find better solutions than people like Dier and Sissoko.

You started by asking me who else, well why didn’t he continue to play Skipp and Marsh more this season? They’ll make the odd mistake, but so what, not like Sissoko and Dier (or Alli, Eriksen, Son and Kane) don’t. It least they are technically proficient, dynamic and can play football.

#Agenda

on the subject of the laws around handball.
the following link is to the official FIFA/IFAB rules booklet for 2018/2019.
to save people the bother of looking,

if you do want to look, its page 102 on the attached link

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/khhloe2xoigyna8juxw3.pdf

some of these are changing. these are the changes for next year:

the line I've emboldened is the one designed to stop players whacking the ball at someones arm.
under both sets of laws, last night wasnt a penalty. this years laws, absolutely not. next years laws, arguably not.

law changes

But you forget that UEFA changed that for the CL :

Roberto Rosetti, the head of Uefa referees, said earlier this year that officials in the Champions League would enforce stricter decisions on handball and that an “unnatural” position of the arm could lead to a free-kick or penalty, meaning the handball does not necessarily have to be “deliberate”, despite what the laws say.

“If the position of the arm is natural or normal we cannot penalise a player,” Rosetti said. “There is the concept of ‘deliberate’ but it is not easy to see that because I can’t say I have ever seen a defender deliberately doing a handball.

“The big challenge is the position of the arm. When the arm is totally out of the body above the shoulder it should be penalised, If the defender is making the body bigger in order to block the ball it is not fair.

“It is different if the defender is challenging or playing the ball and it rebounds. But if he is looking to block a cross or a shot on goal and the player is trying to spread his body then it is a handball.”

Still about as clear as mud but you can see why referees and commentators in the main aren't arguing with the call ... not saying it should be a penalty, I don't think it should, but under UEFA's interpretation of the rules you can see how it was given.

But you forget that UEFA changed that for the CL :

Roberto Rosetti, the head of Uefa referees, said earlier this year that officials in the Champions League would enforce stricter decisions on handball and that an “unnatural” position of the arm could lead to a free-kick or penalty, meaning the handball does not necessarily have to be “deliberate”, despite what the laws say.

“If the position of the arm is natural or normal we cannot penalise a player,” Rosetti said. “There is the concept of ‘deliberate’ but it is not easy to see that because I can’t say I have ever seen a defender deliberately doing a handball.

“The big challenge is the position of the arm. When the arm is totally out of the body above the shoulder it should be penalised, If the defender is making the body bigger in order to block the ball it is not fair.

It is different if the defender is challenging or playing the ball and it rebounds. But if he is looking to block a cross or a shot on goal and the player is trying to spread his body then it is a handball.”

Still about as clear as mud but you can see why referees and commentators in the main aren't arguing with the call ... not saying it should be a penalty, I don't think it should, but under UEFA's interpretation of the rules you can see how it was given.
no, they asked referees to apply a certain interpretation. they didnt change the laws cos all law changes have to go through IFAB. and Iv'e highlighted what counts from last night. he played the ball legally and it rebounded
he wasnt even spreading his body, he was bringing his arm down to his side. if he had kept his arm high, the ball wouldnt have hit it

That's 'cos they had the relative 'luxury' of being a goal up before most people had got to their seats....

I swear the Champions League 'Wankthem' was still playing when Mané smacked the ball into Sissoko's CHEST!

It wouldn't be Tottenham if we didn't make it difficult for ourselves.

Regarding Liverpool though, in the last 2 seasons at least they generally do go for a 2nd and 3rd goal after they score their first. Yesterday they changed their style to sit back a bit and overload the midfield to make it more difficult for us to break through. We did beat that a few times but as mentioned in my original post, we lost composure in and around the box.

Not to put a further dampner on things... but The 'Victory' Parade woulda been well underway by now....

Woulda been SO good.....
Perfect weather for it too!

Ah well, fuck it.... woulda got sunstroke anyway!
#alternateuniverse

Such a weird feeling this morning. Disappointed obviously but it almost feels like last night didn't happen. All that build up of emotional energy and as soon as the pen was given is was like someone just popped the balloon..

My 2 cents on the game for what it's worth..

- Firstly it was a penalty. It hit his arm which was in an unnatural position. What in Gods name Sissoko was doing putting his hand up like that in the box I have no idea. He may as well have been a big button saying "press me for a penalty". When you're in your own box you put your hands behind your back and defend the fucking ball.

- Starting Kane was always going to get a lot of criticism if we lost and hindsight as ever is a great thing but I still back Pochs call. Kane is our best player, our outfield leader, an animal and the ultimate big game player. I actually thought he looked pretty okay sharpness wise, it was just he was playing against the best centre back in the world who as has happened previously, didn't give him a sniff. Not starting Lucas may have been wrong, personally I would have started him ahead of Son actually, but I still don't think it would have made any material difference.

- I think the way Liverpool set up just completely bamboozled Poch and the team. I've never seen them play the way they played last night. I can only imagine Poch set us up with the anticipation they were going to press the fuck out of us as they usually do. But that never happened, they let us have the ball constantly and it looked like we just didn't know what to do with it. In fact I'd be quite confident that hardly any prep was put in from us in the last 3 weeks in relation to trying to break them down. Klopp deserves quite a lot of credit for this as it shows a tactical flexibility that I didn't really know he possessed.

We now find ourselves in an almost identical position that Liverpool found themselves in at the end of last season. Beaten in the Champions League final and scraping into the top four, miles off the pace in terms of the League title race. They then went out and addressed the deficiencies in the squad with top class signings and look at them now. We have a manager who is just as good as Klopp but we really need to cut the bullshit and back the man as Liverpool did theirs. This Summer really is make or break for us, because from the noises Poch is making I genuinely believe if he doesn't see real intent from the powers than be in the next few weeks and months he would have no issue just walking away, and I really wouldn't blame him.

Sitting in Zaragoza airport awaiting my flight.Broken,down hearted but far from defeated.With our new stadium/increased revenue I sense more of these nights will happen in the near future.A massive thank you to the players who took us this far.I think this transfer window is going to be absolutely crucial, get it right and we will only go from strength to strength, get it wrong/fail to invest and things could begin to unravel.
Whatever,I love this club,I always have and I always will #COYS
Amen brother, and very admiral thoughts having been through the wringer first hand. This is the mentality we need right now, looking forward to a brighter future, not dwelling on the broken dreams.

Back
Top Bottom