The Greatest Ever Season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

its not our greatest ever season. 1960-61 might have an argument

its our best season in the premiership era. Of course, as far as sky are concerned its the same thing.

Please see OP, not including the double
:pochfacepalm:
well, thats no fucking argument, is it.
"was this our greatest season? yes, as long as you dont count the better ones"

in that case I think 1976-1977 was our greatest season, cos im not counting any season in which we didn't get relegated

well, thats no fucking argument, is it.
"was this our greatest season? yes, as long as you dont count the better ones"

in that case I think 1976-1977 was our greatest season, cos im not counting any season in which we didn't get relegated
The reason Im not including 1960/61 is threefold,
1. Its pretty obvious its our greatest ever season: we won the double for fucks sake!
2. There's hardly any film and hardly anyone that was an adult during it is still alive to compare the teams.
3. The football played and conditions are incomparable.
As the OP says, my experience only goes back to 88/89. If you think another season tops it, by all means discredit my point, but youre currently doing a terrible job

The reason Im not including 1960/61 is threefold,
1. Its pretty obvious its our greatest ever season: we won the double for fucks sake!
2. There's no film and hardly anyone that was an adult during it is still alive to compare the teams.
3. The football played and conditions are incomparable.
As the OP says, my experience only goes back to 88/89. If you think another season tops it, by all means discredit my point, but youre currently doing a terrible job

thats cos no effort is required. you created a thread called our greatest ever season, and then said we cant count what is, by your own admission, our greatest ever season cos you cant remember it. its a bit half witted at best

thats cos no effort is required. you created a thread called our greatest ever season, and then said we cant count what is, by your own admission, our greatest ever season cos you cant remember it. its a bit half witted at best
Thanks for your input, Ill take it under due consideration; especially considering the rapier like wit and levels of reading comprehension you have so far demonstrated in this thread. Clearly youre a man whose opinion needs to be taken seriously...

It’s a good season. That would be very meh if var didn’t disallowed sterling goal. Making to the champions league final was golden but national campaigns were terrible since January

The second half fightback in Amsterdam will always be one of my most treasured memories as a Spurs fan, and the opening of the new stadium with make this season a signpost in the history of the club as well. Plus the City game was among the most dramatic, insane sporting events I've ever seen.

But at the same time, we won nothing, and any of our previous three teams would have battered this version.

I started supporting Spurs in 88/89, and this has been the greatest season of my life.
The 1991 cup win runs it close: I was a kid, we had Gazza, we won the FA Cup when it still meant something.
But for league and cup success combined, this is the greatest for me.

I know weve won the minor European cups before my time, and obviously we won the double (but if you were around for that and actually remember it, lets face it, youre on borrowed time so quit raining on our (lack of a) parade.))

Greatest ever season:

Thank you to the players.
Thank you to Levy.
But mostly thank you to Poch.

I never thought we would reach so high, and truly believe better times are ahead
If this is our greatest season then we seriously need to reassess our lives.

Now you have ruled out Pre 1990’s so I won’t dwell on any nostalgia before that, so we are basically Premier league era onwards here....

I’m going to honestly say this season has had some memorable games, the 2 legs against City and the second leg against Ajax being the stand out two for sheer entertainment and emotion for me, but overall this has been a horrible season in most respects......

The stadium debacle was frustrating for a start, but that’s really a side issue.
Our football has been all over the map, flashes of brilliance followed by League one standard mistakes, we haven’t been this inconsistent in many many years.....
20 odd defeats, I mean 20 defeats? That’s back to the dark days, our cup run has overshadowed this somewhat.
And what people need to remember is, if Woolwich were not as bad as they were we wouldn’t even be in the CL next season, and this is an Woolwich team that most fans want to rip apart and start again because it’s so bad and we just scraped that 4th spot above them, and we somehow think this is our greatest season?

27pts of the title, 26 points off second place, that’s 9 wins extra just to break even....not that long ago we were single digits from the title and 2nd place was our home....

I’m going to say there are 3 seasons better than this one right of the top of my head, based on all the factors surrounding it.

1-09/10 the first year we qualified for the CL, great football played, Gareth Bale, and who could forget beating Woolwich & Chelsea back to back on the home stretch and then going to City and sealing the deal....#Crouch😄
2-16/17 runners up to Chelsea, going unbeaten the entire season at home, during our last ever season at WHL.....
3-05/06 Martin Jol taking us into Europe through the league for the first time since the late 1980’s......

If we had won the CL then all those defeats, and average football would have been forgotten and yes this season could go right to the top of the modern era list, but we didn’t, just like 86/87, when, with a bit of luck we could have won the treble (league 3rd, FA runners up, League cup semi final) we won fuck all, and it is forever forgotten in history!!

Back
Top Bottom