We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A quick check of your post history reveals you think we should sell Harry Kane, plus a hell of a lot of negativity about the club in general - so, especially as you have a pretty low post count of mostly negative shit, I'd shut the fuck up you little cunt if I were you, as your status as a genuine Spurs fan is pretty dubious.
I said we should sell Kane for £150m+ and re invest ito the squad and I still stand by that you kiddy fiddling cunt. Funny how you have to attack my post history just because I made you feel stupid about your VAR statement. Grow up you twat, the last thing I want is this place becoming a bitter embarrassing cringe fest like certain other forums.

We keep conceding early goals and one day will hurt us like today
I love Sissoko and has been wonderful this season but which players puts his hand up in the box! I never blame him for the loss tonight bracause mistake does happen in football and we had 88mins and couldn’t score.
Do you actually realize that it wasn't a penalty? Not saying that we would have won, but the penalty was a disgrace.

I don't think it's fair to suggest a lack of effort. Liverpool were blessed with the opportunity to defend with the back 7 of their 433. Then consider their defensive record this season. We simply needed to be better in attack. No spurs, by their own standards, could boast quality attacking end product tonight.

Genuine question:

....Beyond the fans (I'd like to think most of us 'believe' to whatever extent) how do you propose instilling a winner's mentality into the team? I'm sure there's plenty of rowdy chest-beating that goes on in the dressing room already.

.....It's a quandary why so many clubs dry up in certain situations (see England - This isn't a Spurs-exclusive phenomena) and whilst 'Winners mentality' represents an entirely plausible concept, it's less tangible than it sounds when you consider the pitfalls of balancing arrogance, complacency + the unavoidable fact that collectively we haven't actually been 'winners' yet.

I'd advocate giving sports psychology a whirl if we're not already tapped into that kind of thing, but i have no brighter ideas.
They literally walked over hot coals for the boss, one day he'll run out of psychological team building ideas

I said we should sell Kane for £150m+ and re invest ito the squad and I still stand by that you kiddy fiddling cunt. Funny how you have to attack my post history just because I made you feel stupid about your VAR statement. Grow up you twat, the last thing I want is this place becoming a bitter embarrassing cringe fest like certain other forums.

Bin for you. Posts like that belong in the Forum Toilet, not this part of it.

We keep conceding early goals and one day will hurt us like today
I love Sissoko and has been wonderful this season but which players puts his hand up in the box! I never blame him for the loss tonight bracause mistake does happen in football and we had 88mins and couldn’t score.
I hope he cuts down that finger pointing thing he loves to do, it's gonna trigger bad flashbacks from now on

Liverpool fan here in peace.

Just wanted to say that I thought Spurs probably played better than us in the second half and deserved better than what they got. All that said, most Spurs fans have been absolutely class throughout and most Liverpool fans do recognize and appreciate this.

Given we were in the same state exactly one year ago, we can 100% relate to the heartbreak, especially the way luck was a factor in the game. Really hope you keep building and cement yourselves above Woolwich, especially given the stuff that has been popping up from them today on a game that they had nothing to do with. Good luck for the next season!

Liverpool fan here in peace.

Just wanted to say that I thought Spurs probably played better than us in the second half and deserved better than what they got. All that said, most Spurs fans have been absolutely class throughout and most Liverpool fans do recognize and appreciate this.

Given we were in the same state exactly one year ago, we can 100% relate to the heartbreak, especially the way luck was a factor in the game. Really hope you keep building and cement yourselves above Woolwich, especially given the stuff that has been popping up from them today on a game that they had nothing to do with. Good luck for the next season!
Respect, could have gone either way, enjoy it and you bet we will be back much stronger next season.

Bin for you. Posts like that belong in the Forum Toilet, not this part of it.
Look watch this from 1:10 mark

When Eriksen is arguing to the ref about the penalty the ref points to his earpiece to say VAR team is already checking/would let him know if he needs to check it. There is no conspiracy, I don’t know why you’re trying to attack me for pointing that out. But ok suit yourself.

When Spurs got Man.City and 'Pool got Porto I knew UEFA liked them - ref behaved predictably he couldn't wait to give such an early pen.

You "apologists" remember that when they say whatever foul happened 'too early' for him to send him off/give penalty next season in matches in the PL. The forum "apologists" will have amnesia about this incident.

You sound like a fake - dunno why the forum lets you post on here.....

Rule 12

HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:
a) the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
b) the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
c) the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

1. no one, surely, is claiming it was deliberate (or at least no one is claiming there is sufficient evidence to suggest intent)
2. It was more ball to hand than hand to ball
3. There was about a metres distance; furthermore, the ball ricocheted off his chest

I dont think there was a conspiracy or bribery, I just think the ref saw it hit his arm, bottled it, went to VAR and VAR couldnt 100% determine if it was hand to ball or ball to hand, and therefore couldnt overrule the refs initial, incorrect, call of handball.

Essentially, we got screwed by a shit referee, no more no less to it than that

Last edited:
From very early in the second half where it looked like nothing had changed in the pace of the game it seemed pretty clear that a goal from us was unlikely to come and it was going to be 45 minutes of not much happening despite the stakes. We've seen us play like that far too much in the second half of this season and it was another performance of that type. It ending up that way based on our form was always a possibility, but I just had confidence that we'd be able to continue using the apparent special reserves of energy that we've had exclusively for the Champions League.

As times goes on the memories of this campaign are going to be very special. But it does feel like a huge opportunity missed at the mo and if you don't mind I'm going to be a bit disappointed about it for a few days.

Rule 12

HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:
a) the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
b) the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
c) the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

1. no one, surely, is claiming it was deliberate (or at least no one is claiming there is sufficient evidence to suggest intent)
2. It was more ball to hand than hand to ball
3. There was about a metres distance; furthermore, the ball ricocheted off his chest

I dont think there was a conspiracy or bribery, I just think the ref saw it hit his arm, bottled it, went to VAR and VAR couldnt 100% determine if it was hand to ball or ball to hand, and therefore couldnt overrule the refs initial, incorrect, call of handball.

Essentially, we got screwed by a shit referee, no more no less to it than that

All the looks they had at the Llorente goal though, back and forth and back forth until the ref had a clear picture in his mind. Surely the guy in the booth has got to see it's hit his chest first, which the ref hadn't. That I'll never accept, that he didn't go over to the camera, look at it from multiple angles till he had a full picture of what had occurred. In a Champions League final. A dead rubber at the end of the group stages with nothing on the game, ok. But a CL Final, in the first 30 seconds, and it wasn't even worth a look, and Llorente's was when it took one viewing to see it had come off his hip.

All the looks they had at the Llorente goal though, back and forth and back forth until the ref had a clear picture in his mind. Surely the guy in the booth has got to see it's hit his chest first, which the ref hadn't. That I'll never accept, that he didn't go over to the camera, look at it from multiple angles till he had a full picture of what had occurred. In a Champions League final. A dead rubber at the end of the group stages with nothing on the game, ok. But a CL Final, in the first 30 seconds, and it wasn't even worth a look, and Llorente's was when it took one viewing to see it had come off his hip.
Im not sure how it works TBH, but doesnt he radio through and ask 'Is it ball to hand or hand to ball', they radio back 'fuck knows', then he has to stick to the penalty call because VAR cant overrule him

Genuine question:

....Beyond the fans (I'd like to think most of us 'believe' to whatever extent) how do you propose instilling a winner's mentality into the team? I'm sure there's plenty of rowdy chest-beating that goes on in the dressing room already.

For me it's treating the cups like they matter because they do.

Fourth place is a business ambition, it's not a sporting one, we've seen the hollowness of that from Woolwich.

We should be going hammer and tongs at the cups until we lift some silverware. That's the point of football, and that will change the mentality of the squad. We've got barely anyone who has won a major final in their careers. Lloris obviously, Lucas won a bunch with PSG, Eriksen, Toby and Jan all won the 2010 KNVB Cup with Ajax but that was a two-legged tie, Victor Wanyama was an unused sub for one Celtic cup, it's not a lot, way less than our competitors.

Forgot Llorente and Aurier I guess. And Sonny won the Asian Games final, and came back a changed man, not a coincidence. Not a coincidence that Llorente and Lucas, two decorated players who had been in those situations dragged us back in Amsterdam either.

Last edited:

It's not a terrible idea considering the lads have proven they can win without him. Liverpool got a windfall for Coutinho and look at them now.

It's not a terrible idea considering the lads have proven they can win without him. Liverpool got a windfall for Coutinho and look at them now.

Do you actually believe that ? Im not being sarcastic, but Kane has been a pivotal reason why we have evolved the last few years. As to winning without him, thats what depth is for, it doesn't mean that we would have lost with him. Lucas / Sonny/ Lllorente and co stepped up and good on them I say.

But to suggest we cash in on Kane, now, and that a cash cow will substitute one of the best strikers in the world, would set us back a decade and send a message that we cant keep our "elite" players.

What attracts new signings ? Money / Manager / Squad / Facilities / Chance of silverware.

This isnt about whether or not he should have started today. Thats for Poch to ponder.

Anyway, wish you all the best in the offseason. Ive enjoyed the banter here, and look forward to next season.

Im gutted today, but the ride was one I will never forget.

Back
Top Bottom