Best formation and tactics to beat Liverpool...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great read.

In order to not fall down to a goal, we need to our full backs to play the game of their lives. It would mean we need to double up from our CDM / Midfields on the flanks, and i think we will concede a number of corners.

If we get our defense of corners sorted, I think we would stand a better chance in the match.

Great read.

In order to not fall down to a goal, we need to our full backs to play the game of their lives. It would mean we need to double up from our CDM / Midfields on the flanks, and i think we will concede a number of corners.

If we get our defense of corners sorted, I think we would stand a better chance in the match.

Let our WFs put the yards in and track their FBs and don't over commit our FBs for the early phases so they can stay with Mane & Salah.... Steadily push their threat back and then go for the throat.

Last edited:
I'd start Kane as I believe he is more than capable of giving Van Dijk a problem. He'll battle for every header, close him down and rough him up. That'd leave Lucas/Son/Alli/ Eriksen (whoever starts) to get at Matip.

The best formation you came up to beat dippers and you don't have Son? That's a good one.
We can't play both, it'd leave us to open in midfield. Lucas is the form player. Drop him to the bench and that sends a bad message. If Kane is fit he has to start.

It'll be a tough decision whatever the outcome. Having either Son or Lucas off the bench is a big boost nevertheless.

We can't play both, it'd leave us to open in midfield. Lucas is the form player. Drop him to the bench and that sends a bad message. If Kane is fit he has to start.

It'll be a tough decision whatever the outcome. Having either Son or Lucas off the bench is a big boost nevertheless.

Kane doesn't "have to start" - he probably will, but he doesn't have to.

You could argue that it makes more sense for him to come on when defenders are a little bit less fresh and their concentration might not be at 100 percent.

Also we can assess where the game is when we bring him on.

I guess I could understand where you are coming from but your end product imo is wrong however you arrived to it. Son is one devastating offensive unit that will require much defensive effort from the opposition every time he touches the ball. He can dribble by you or down the line for a cross or pick pass to a runner or pass and run in himself. He can shoot from outside in a split second with right or left. I could go on and on but I'll save it bc I'm sure its been said hundreds of times here. Not starting Son hence significantly limiting his playing time in this final, which I highly doubt will happen, would be the biggest favor you could do for the liverpool and their chance for the CL title. But hey if you want to be avant garde or banter till death this is the place, so I don't mind. Coys!

I think they will most likely try and target Trippier and really the main concerns are how to deal with Liverpool's 3 forwards and their fullbacks. Getting the defensive set up and shape is the main priority and after that it is looking to - depending on who plays - Kane, Son or Moura to provide a threat to their back four. Hopefully Eriksen and Dele will be up for it on the night also. van Dijk is a top defender, but Matip can be got at.
Hopefully Klopp's curse in Cup Finals will be in evidence on Saturday night.

Last edited:
Kane doesn't "have to start" - he probably will, but he doesn't have to.

You could argue that it makes more sense for him to come on when defenders are a little bit less fresh and their concentration might not be at 100 percent.

Also we can assess where the game is when we bring him on.
Agreed,I think I'd leave Harry on the bench,see how we're doing and if need be (let's hope not)bring him on,simples

I guess I could understand where you are coming from but your end product imo is wrong however you arrived to it. Son is one devastating offensive unit that will require much defensive effort from the opposition every time he touches the ball. He can dribble by you or down the line for a cross or pick pass to a runner or pass and run in himself. He can shoot from outside in a split second with right or left. I could go on and on but I'll save it bc I'm sure its been said hundreds of times here. Not starting Son hence significantly limiting his playing time in this final, which I highly doubt will happen, would be the biggest favor you could do for the liverpool and their chance for the CL title. But hey if you want to be avant garde or banter till death this is the place, so I don't mind. Coys!

Fuck..

We need to start Son.

The game is more than just target x player, play y player, use z formation. I just hope it’s our manager who will take the best tactical decisions.

---------------Lloris----------------
-KR -------TA------JV----------DR
---Sissoko---Winks---Eriksen--
------Moura---Kane---Son----

I love Ali, but it's been well documented that Liverpool's fullbacks are the main threat. The best way to stop them? To get them worried about what's running in behind them and I can't think of many better than Son and Moura to do that.

As for the midfield 3, we need players who will be best at bypassing their midfield press. Dele is a fantastic player, but his game isn't about receiving the ball deep with his back to goal and breaking away from trouble.

Fully expect Dele to start.

Yes. If Sons absent the unoccupied dipper defence turn to offence will be rampant and we could be down 3:0 by the halftime sort of like against Ajax. I don't think I want to go through that again

Harry on bench

Play Dele as a false number 9

Son and Moura both wide

Sissoko and Winksy or Big Vic to provide cover for CE to create

We can fucking do this

Bindipper cunts

I think we’re gonna go with what’s been our most consistent XI this season.

Hugo; Trips Toby Jan Rose; Sissoko Winks; Eriksen Dele Son; Kane

if the game is tight and it ends up going to penalties we would definitely want Kane to be on the pitch then . Just another small nudge in the direction of perhaps starting with Lucas instead.

Which makes me think who would we want to take pens if it comes to that- Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela .Beyond that I guess Llorente if he’s on , Trippier, Dier. I’d be exceptionally nervous about those last 2 given the shit seasons they have both had and their penalty misses this season.

Career penalty records : Lloris 14/81, Allison 5/15 . Not great but of course Hugo is on a roll with 3 saves in a row.

Back
Top Bottom