Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair enough but do you accept those usual suspects, whoever they are, love the club and probably only see the fruits ie trophies of our labour?
I do know they are totally agenda driven, as there is ZERO objectivity in what they say. I do know that their love for the club is conditional. I do know they show the type of "love" that a green-eyed wife beater shows their wife. I do know that they don't expect the team to do well because they think it's shit but then criticise it when they perform way, way above what they said it was capable of. I do know that they don't get the club, it's philosophy and how it goes about its business. I do know they are the type of "supporter" I despise and absolutely cringe at the shite spewed. I love it when they are wrong every single year. I'm still shocked that despite getting it so wrong every year the "go again".

Not specifically at you mate but I am including you.

The desire to win an argument on here it seems is more important than the facts that surround the actual performance of the team and the circumstances that influenced those performances.

It's absolutely fine to say we haven't played as well this year compared to other years, we don't need to look at other teams around us to acknowledge this, we've all been discussing it all year and debating what the issues are that may or may not have contributed.

BUT we are a top side a side that hasn't lucked their way to a Champions League final. We absolutely deserve to be there on merit. We are an established top four side, irrefutable fact. We've reached Finals and semi-final of domestic competitions EVERY year too. All this reflects how good we are.

We can improve, there are clear areas in the squad where we can improve, these are the issues that have been debated all year, some people will agree with them others not. But reading the last few pages on here is no different to another year in last 4/5yrs, the usual suspects (NOT you!!) come out to play and denigrate the club, by the time the window closes we will be finishing 10th behind Everton, Palace and West Ham clubs which they envy and covert. It's fucking bizarre.

Isn't that pretty much what most of the people you are criticising are saying though? Not that we've become Stoke City overnight, just that there's been a very gradual decline over the last two seasons in the performances we are watching and things need to be addressed if we are to halt that decline, and I think that decline has been exasperated somewhat because this league has never been stronger or more competitive than it is right now.

I don't give a shit about trophies, we/Poch doesn't have to win any to prove to me he's a good coach and we are a good team, playing well consistently and winning games consistently does that for me, but when there's a consistently poor level of performance, which there has been this season, that is definitely troubling because it suggests deeper issues that can't be ignored.

Before the transfer window opened Poch openly stated he wanted to sign players, and get the deals done before pre-season. As the window progressed, right up until the end, he continued to say he wanted and expected to sign players.

Remember when he was put in front of the cameras on the US tour and asked to explain our lack of activity. He cut a frustrated figure as he told the reporters they'd have to ask Daniel.

Of course, if he was offered players he did not want or thought they offered no improvement it was his decision not to sign them. But do you honestly think he wanted to go into a whole new season without any improvement? Of course not.

The evidence, as you put it , is that he desperately wanted new signings, but was not offered a transfer budget that allowed him to get the calibre of players he was looking for.
But POCH didn't sign anyone. Our manager who in the absence of a DoF (HIS request) is responsible for bringing players in. It's HIS job to target players, instruct his scouts with the profile of player for the position HE wants.

The best football jorno's and key ex-players & ex-managers acknowledge that Poch is in control of the football at Spurs, they acknowledge his power and reach within the club, they acknowledge that Poch was given resources to spend and also was told that funds from players sold will also be added to the pot. He sold NO ONE. He bought No ONE.

You seem to be getting confused with last summers business and the season before, last season he didn't show or display any frustration, the year before he did and that was specifically targeted and not bringing in a player before pre-season started. But to jog your memory this is what he said about our summer window and not signing a player: MP: “I am happy to keep all the squad together,” Mauricio Pochettino said earlier this afternoon. “The club made a massive effort to try to extend contracts, like Harry Kane. To keep our best players was our objective and goal and we have achieved that.” He went on to say “Of course, it's difficult to understand for people that Tottenham didn't sign or sell players,” Pochettino said. “But sometimes in football, you need to behave differently. If we are happy with our squad and cannot improve our squad, sometimes it's better to keep our squad together. We are going to be better, no doubt about that”. (When he's talking about "people" he's talking to you).

Have to get this straight, we are in the Champions League Final aren't we, I didn't dream that? It definitely happened didn't it?
But we finished 4th Arty. What don’t you get?

In all seriousness, the overall performance since January is pretty alarming but I expect that to be ironed out through a rest and a recharge to the squad finally.

Last edited:
Havent read all the posts to know what everyone is whining each other about. While it is miraculous that we are in the CL final, we dont want it to be a one off miracle. I think thats what Poch said in his interview too. That he we have to change the way we are run if we want later stages of CL and competing to win the PL to be a regular occurance. Nothing wrong with that.

Isn't that pretty much what most of the people you are criticising are saying though? Not that we've become Stoke City overnight, just that there's been a very gradual decline over the last two seasons in the performances we are watching and things need to be addressed if we are to halt that decline, and I think that decline has been exasperated somewhat because this league has never been stronger or more competitive than it is right now.

I don't give a shit about trophies, we/Poch doesn't have to win any to prove to me he's a good coach and we are a good team, playing well consistently and winning games consistently does that for me, but when there's a consistently poor level of performance, which there has been this season, that is definitely troubling because it suggests deeper issues that can't be ignored.
No.

Our performances: Wins have been completely deserved, we haven't been lucky in winning and I think some of our defeats have been unlucky. What we have seen and what has been debated this season has been stylistically, we've lost our mojo, our dominance, our shots on goal have dropped and our shots conceded has increased. Largely what has been debated has been our FB's and our Midfield as the root cause. But this has also been with the backdrop to almost our entire first team unable to participate in pre-season, which has probably been the reason why we've had so many injuries and mental fatigue experienced throughout the entire season.

To emphasise this further, if we failed to sign a single player again this season and we didn't sell a single player do you think this team will perform better or worse next season? I'd say it will perform better, solely because they would have a break (although our brake will actually be 3 weeks less than most in the league due to our participation in the CL final) and a pre-season. I would, however, expect us to still to experience issues, especially against top opposition because our midfield lacks the quality to control and dominate at that level (although Sissoko's new level is genuinely like a new signing in that position, you and I both know that there are better more technical options that we can aspire to), the same too in our FB positions, but even there we have a glimmer of hope with Rose improving and KWP who IMO is better than Frodo.

What we have matured into is a team that is fucking hard to beat.

City is way, way, way ahead of anyone. Liverpool jumped +20 pts this season, their level of performance was a not representative of this points differential, yes there underlying numbers were better than ours and they were very worthy of 2nd place, they have been incredibly fortunate in at least five games this season (that's approx 15pts!!).

TDLR: We are a very, very good team. We can improve by focussing on a small handful of positions (FB and Midfield), these improvements will largely be getting control of our midfield and having more rounded FB's who contribute as modern day FB's are expected to do (and have done for us). The result should be more shots on oppo goal and fewer oppo shots on our own goal. It's not rocket science. But we will be better next season just because our preparation will better (normal) and we will be playing our home games at home.

No.

Our performances: Wins have been completely deserved, we haven't been lucky in winning and I think some of our defeats have been unlucky. What we have seen and what has been debated this season has been stylistically, we've lost our mojo, our dominance, our shots on goal have dropped and our shots conceded has increased. Largely what has been debated has been our FB's and our Midfield as the root cause. But this has also been with the backdrop to almost our entire first team unable to participate in pre-season, which has probably been the reason why we've had so many injuries and mental fatigue experienced throughout the entire season.

To emphasise this further, if we failed to sign a single player again this season and we didn't sell a single player do you think this team will perform better or worse next season? I'd say it will perform better, solely because they would have a break (although our brake will actually be 3 weeks less than most in the league due to our participation in the CL final) and a pre-season. I would, however, expect us to still to experience issues, especially against top opposition because our midfield lacks the quality to control and dominate at that level (although Sissoko's new level is genuinely like a new signing in that position, you and I both know that there are better more technical options that we can aspire to), the same too in our FB positions, but even there we have a glimmer of hope with Rose improving and KWP who IMO is better than Frodo.

What we have matured into is a team that is fucking hard to beat.

City is way, way, way ahead of anyone. Liverpool jumped +20 pts this season, their level of performance was a not representative of this points differential, yes there underlying numbers were better than ours and they were very worthy of 2nd place, they have been incredibly fortunate in at least five games this season (that's approx 15pts!!).

TDLR: We are a very, very good team. We can improve by focussing on a small handful of positions (FB and Midfield), these improvements will largely be getting control of our midfield and having more rounded FB's who contribute as modern day FB's are expected to do (and have done for us). The result should be more shots on oppo goal and fewer oppo shots on our own goal. It's not rocket science. But we will be better next season just because our preparation will better (normal) and we will be playing our home games at home.
Does ENIC pay you by word?

He went on to say “Of course, it's difficult to understand for people that Tottenham didn't sign or sell players,” Pochettino said. “But sometimes in football, you need to behave differently. If we are happy with our squad and cannot improve our squad, sometimes it's better to keep our squad together. We are going to be better, no doubt about that”. (When he's talking about "people" he's talking to you).
And just last week he said this, and he's clearly talking to you and Levy.

If we believe that operating in the same way as the last 5 years we are going to continue to compete against teams like Liverpool, City and united i think we are very naive.

NAIVE, Guido. He's talking to you, mate.

We need to create a plan that is different to what happened in the last 5 years.
If people expect the same thing, GIVE ME DIFFERENT TOOLS TO WORK WITH.
If not, I would be the most stupid person to work

TOOLS... He's talking to you again, and Levy. He needs new players. He needs a budget that can give us the tools to keep us competitive.

Only Pocchetino could have achieved what he's achieved on the miniscule budget he's been allowed to work with these past few years. We don't want our champion's league winning parade to be his farewell, which, if he doesn't get the change of plan he's looking for, he's indicated it might well be.

When are you in the U.K?

May is nearly over.

UniformFreshBunny-size_restricted.gif

“Of course, it's difficult to understand for people that Tottenham didn't sign or sell players,” Pochettino said. “But sometimes in football, you need to behave differently. If we are happy with our squad and cannot improve our squad, sometimes it's better to keep our squad together. We are going to be better, no doubt about that”.

I'm not picking sides, I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of the club, and why, exactly, we didn't sign anyone the last two windows.

But for me, the quote above where I've added emphasis is the long and short of it. I don't think Poch was able to find the right player(s) for the right price(s) and instead chose to do nothing.

I don't think that will be the case this summer. We'll have to check back at the end of August, but I think this crazy bold strategy worked out for the club. We enter the break with some clear needs, we guaranteed CL next year, and are showing potential transfers that we are capable of challenging for the biggest club trophy in the game. We also have the additional CL funds from this season, as well as the funds rolled over from previous windows.

I would hope for 3/4 signings with 1-2 of them being players who will regularly be in the starting 11 next season.

And I really hope we're able to keep Toby & Eriksen.

Back
Top Bottom