Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You knew it inside of you that Levy gonna start the bidding at 15m.

I read some quotes from Griezmanns book where he says that in 2014 whilst he was at Sociedad he had a release clause of 30 mill euros and Spurs came in with an offer of 25 mill euros. A bit more time passed and A Madrid came and paid the 30 mill release clause. Snooze and you lose

Player trades rarely happen but teams doing deals on various players between themselves do happen for a number of reasons.

I like Zaha and think he'd be a fantastic addition but like many agree his fee is ridiculous.

However, would it feel as bad if something along these lines happen

Zaha to Spurs for £65m
Janssen to Palace £18m
Onomah to Palace £12m

That would mean we've effectively got rid of two players who seem to have no future here while gaining what has been a perceived top target for £30m expenditure.

With Palace needing a new striker and Onomah likely having something to offer as a CM/AM hybrid I could see this being beneficial.

Palace save face for fans sake and get top whack for their player. We get rid of unrequired squad places

£65m for Zaha isn't that nuts. He's 26 and has proven for the last few seasons that his presence in Palace's side is often the difference between them being competitive or not. Pretty much every team doubles up on him because of his pace and dribbling ability.

The question is whether we need to spend that kind of money when we already have Son and Moura, and a more pressing need for a dominant central midfielder and top quality fullback.

Jesus christ.

Could get Douglas Costa for half that who is twice the player.

Leon Bailey another one to spend that money on.

I don't fully disagree.
But my post specifically set a scenario where we pay £35m for him.

We're not getting either of the players you're talking about for £35m. I equally don't think we see those figure for Jansen or Onomah unless it's to cover a deal like that.

Even then, £65m is a huge amount for the players you've brought up. Neither have done enough to warrant that fee for me.

I don't fully disagree.
But my post specifically set a scenario where we pay £35m for him.

We're not getting either of the players you're talking about for £35m. I equally don't think we see those figure for Jansen or Onomah unless it's to cover a deal like that.

Even then, £65m is a huge amount for the players you've brought up. Neither have done enough to warrant that fee for me.
Douglas Costa would be 40m tops and makes Zaha look like Lewis Holtby.

Zaha has done very little to warrant that fee too.

Bailey is interesting tbf but £65 is a huge investment. I've seen him a few times and he could be the next Mane but he could also be like that guy at Middlesbrough Adama Traore (?)

That's why I was disappointed that we didn't get involved with that James lad from Swansea. Bailey has been playing at a higher level but his main assets is his pace. James for £15m seemed a better risk for me

Douglas Costa would be 40m tops and makes Zaha look like Lewis Holtby.

Zaha has done very little to warrant that fee too.

Fair play then fella if Costa is available for that fee then I can see why you'd see that as the better option.

I think you're right but I'd be happy with either given that Zaha has been improving consistently in the Prem.

Actually we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think given the choice at the same total cost after fee and wages I'd take Zaha.

He's already terrified every single defence in the league and that's when he's double and triple marked. Let them try do that to him when that leaves space for Kane , Ali, Son Moura and Eriksen if he stays.

He also counts as homegrown which is a huge factor in his price and his importance in our transfer structure

Fair play then fella if Costa is available for that fee then I can see why you'd see that as the better option.

I think you're right but I'd be happy with either given that Zaha has been improving consistently in the Prem.

Actually we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think given the choice at the same total cost after fee and wages I'd take Zaha.

He's already terrified every single defence in the league and that's when he's double and triple marked. Let them try do that to him when that leaves space for Kane , Ali, Son Moura and Eriksen if he stays.

He also counts as homegrown which is a huge factor in his price and his importance in our transfer structure
We can make up the HG quote elsewhere with the likes of Sess.

If we're looking to spend 65 on a player, its should be the best we possibly can irrespective of nationality/HG status. Zaha isn't that for me.

About 10 players I'd take first.

£65,000,000 for Zaha when for an extra £10,000,000 you can literally sign Brandt, Diawara and Berge.

Again, smart signings please. Not just throwing some money at a player who barely scored any more goals than Lucas Moura did last season

Last edited:
£65,000,000 for Zaha when for an extra £10,000,000 you can literally sign Brandt, Diawara and Berge.

Again my words are being misconstrued. Sorry mate not picking on you but since my message everyone's jumped (admittedly not on me) on their respective cunt offs with past arguments.

Let me make this VERY clear. He would cost us £35m in my scenario.

Only a page or two again I said pretty much the exact same as you. Think I said for under £50 we could get diawara and Brandt. I agree Berge should be high on our agenda and wrote about him a few pages ago as well.

We can make up the HG quote elsewhere with the likes of Sess.

If we're looking to spend 65 on a player, its should be the best we possibly can irrespective of nationality/HG status. Zaha isn't that for me.

About 10 players I'd take first.

Not going to try convince you and again you're missing my point of hat he'd only be £35m in that scenario. Agree with Sessegnon if we can get him for anything around £25m

What I will say is that I would rather spend that £65 on Bruno Fernandes or Kai Havertz than Bailey

I read some quotes from Griezmanns book where he says that in 2014 whilst he was at Sociedad he had a release clause of 30 mill euros and Spurs came in with an offer of 25 mill euros. A bit more time passed and A Madrid came and paid the 30 mill release clause. Snooze and you lose
Yep, that was reported here at the time. I remember posting it on a Facebook group and everyone said the Spanish press were making it up.

Seems they weren't.

Saha is the main man at Palace. He would not be that with us. If we could get him for around 40m fair enough. If you’re paying 60-70 for a player he has to be a definite success for a club like us. At the moment you couldn’t say that about Zaha. He would have to work if he came to us.
Palace are very good on the break but have a poor home record. If he played for us he would be up against 9 man defences for most games.

I assumed Werner was joining Munich. But reports are saying he hasn't agreed anything yet. Is it worth us making an offer or will his wage demands be too high? It says his contract is running out so he will be on a free. From what I have seen he can play upfront or as a wide attacker. Cover for kane too.

Back
Top Bottom