Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It won't be a very long one irrespective.

We are Champions League finalists.

If you don't see that as a sign of progression and put more weight in winning the League Cup, then there's not much more to be said.
Where did I say I'd rather win the league cup. Winning the Champions League would be the greatest night of my Spurs life.
But by using your own standards, the squad has regressed over the last year. I'm actually agreeing with you.
Liverpool themselves pulled it off in Istanbul. A deteriorating squad that somehow worked a miracle.

For someone who endorsed and supported the club spending £0.00p and failing to add a single player last summer, using injuries as an excuse is pretty feeble tbf.
Why?

Did you want cover for Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dembele, Trippier, Dier, Winks, Jan, Aurier, Toby, Rose, KWP, Lamela, Moura, Sissoko and Rose?

Because that would have been the only way to cover injuries this season.
Didn’t you want to swap Toby for Martial?
How would that have helped?

Anyway, back to the point, which you dodged.
How is it you are now claiming Poch has regressed when you’ve been saying he performed miracles?

Last edited:
Anyway, back to the point, which you dodged.
How is it you are now claiming Poch has regressed when you’ve been saying he performed miracles?
Where did I say Poch has regressed? Please quote me. If I did, then apologies.
I agree with Poch and the majority of like minded fans.
We can't continue to compete and finish top 4 unless the owners change their approach and give him more backing. Like he said, he needs new tools and a clear plan.

I agree with Poch :pochcry:

Where did I say Poch has regressed? Please quote me. If I did, then apologies.
I agree with Poch and the majority of like minded fans.
We can't continue to compete and finish top 4 unless the owners change their approach and give him more backing. Like he said, he needs new tools and a clear plan.

I agree with Poch :pochcry:

So the team regressed but the manager progressed?

You pointed to league position and points as regression. How has Poch not regressed in your view then?

Why are all the factors for finishing lower valid for Poch, but not for the team? The players regressed, but the manger improved?

Doesn’t work like that.....you’ve done a booboo John

So the team regressed but the manager progressed?
Yeah. He continued to work miracles with zero backing from the owners. We didn't spend any money, remember. We became the first major club, ever, ever, not to make a single signing. Yet despite the squads regression, he still somehow dragged us into the top 4 and into the CL final.

It wasn't Levy coaching the team in such circumstances, you know! While you ponder that point, I'm getting in the tub

:pochbye:

Yeah. He continued to work miracles with zero backing from the owners. We didn't spend any money, remember. We became the first major club, ever, ever, not to make a single signing. Yet despite the squads regression, he still somehow dragged us into the top 4 and into the CL final.

It wasn't Levy coaching the team in such circumstances, you know! While you ponder that point, I'm getting in the tub

Nothing to ponder.

You said we had regressed.
So unless Pochettino finished 3rd on 76pts he also regressed.

Themselves would be a good start
But he didn’t quit last August so they would still be wrong
Perhaps they have already but you and I will never know about. Let me tell you where I am on this.
I didn't think the team would get top 4, I did think that Poch would quit. But I was ok with not getting top 4 because Poch has performed miracles. I'm happy to say I was wrong if that's what you want to hear, but I'm not taking back anything because I still have the same concerns about Poch quitting.

I said the squad was good enough last summer.
Dembele was in the squad.
He now needs replacing.

You know this isn’t working out for you right?
After Dembele left in January, we got top 4 and a champions league final, 12 days ago you said the squad wasn't good enough, it was said in anger and you changed your mind and said the squad was good enough, therefore if no one leaves then according to your view that the squad is good enough, we shouldn't be buying anyone if no one leaves.

Do you work for Sky?
Same as Wolves? What about the part where we won 7 more games than Wolves and gained 14 more points?
Oops

I´ll make it easy:
They said the squad was not top 4. We finished top 4
They said Poch would quit. Poch didnt quit.

So when the back up proved it was good enough to finish in the position they claimed it couldnt, they were still right?
If we win the CL, are they still right?

hahahah
Hahaha....

The determination of some on here to make it look like we are so shit just to prove their point is simply staggering. With every single post, we appear to be getting worse and worse as a team, which is odd given the fact that over the last 4 seasons no other team has finished in the top 4 as regularly as us. The new take on us is we are now a "lucky" team.

Fuck me.

Why do you ignore the possibility that Poch didn't sign a single player because it was his decision not to? There is plenty of evidence to support this, even from Poch's own lips too.

Last edited:
Hahaha....

The determination of some on here to make it look like we are so shit just to prove their point is simply staggering. With every single post, we appear to be getting worse and worse as a team, which is odd given the fact that over the last 4 seasons no other team has finished in the top 4 as regularly as us. The new take on us is we are now a "lucky" team.

Fuck me.

Yep.

Only Spurs and money-no-object Man City have had 4 consecutive top 4 finishes.

And of those 2 teams, only one (can't recall which one right now) has reached the final of the CL.

Hahaha....

Fuck me.
I'm not trying to say we're shit or a lucky team, if your post is aimed at me.

I'm not trying to say we're shit or a lucky team, if your post is aimed at me.
Not specifically at you mate but I am including you.

The desire to win an argument on here it seems is more important than the facts that surround the actual performance of the team and the circumstances that influenced those performances.

It's absolutely fine to say we haven't played as well this year compared to other years, we don't need to look at other teams around us to acknowledge this, we've all been discussing it all year and debating what the issues are that may or may not have contributed.

BUT we are a top side a side that hasn't lucked their way to a Champions League final. We absolutely deserve to be there on merit. We are an established top four side, irrefutable fact. We've reached Finals and semi-final of domestic competitions EVERY year too. All this reflects how good we are.

We can improve, there are clear areas in the squad where we can improve, these are the issues that have been debated all year, some people will agree with them others not. But reading the last few pages on here is no different to another year in last 4/5yrs, the usual suspects (NOT you!!) come out to play and denigrate the club, by the time the window closes we will be finishing 10th behind Everton, Palace and West Ham clubs which they envy and covert. It's fucking bizarre.

Not specifically at you mate but I am including you.

The desire to win an argument on here it seems is more important than the facts that surround the actual performance of the team and the circumstances that influenced those performances.

It's absolutely fine to say we haven't played as well this year compared to other years, we don't need to look at other teams around us to acknowledge this, we've all been discussing it all year and debating what the issues are that may or may not have contributed.

BUT we are a top side a side that hasn't lucked their way to a Champions League final. We absolutely deserve to be there on merit. We are an established top four side, irrefutable fact. We've reached Finals and semi-final of domestic competitions EVERY year too. All this reflects how good we are.

We can improve, there are clear areas in the squad where we can improve, these are the issues that have been debated all year, some people will agree with them others not. But reading the last few pages on here is no different to another year in last 4/5yrs, the usual suspects (NOT you!!) come out to play and denigrate the club, by the time the window closes we will be finishing 10th behind Everton, Palace and West Ham clubs which they envy and covert. It's fucking bizarre.
Fair enough but do you accept those usual suspects, whoever they are, love the club and probably only see the fruits ie trophies of our labour?

Why do you ignore the possibility that Poch didn't sign a single player because it was his decision not to? There is plenty of evidence to support this, even from Poch's own lips too.
Before the transfer window opened Poch openly stated he wanted to sign players, and get the deals done before pre-season. As the window progressed, right up until the end, he continued to say he wanted and expected to sign players.

Remember when he was put in front of the cameras on the US tour and asked to explain our lack of activity. He cut a frustrated figure as he told the reporters they'd have to ask Daniel.

Of course, if he was offered players he did not want or thought they offered no improvement it was his decision not to sign them. But do you honestly think he wanted to go into a whole new season without any improvement? Of course not.

The evidence, as you put it , is that he desperately wanted new signings, but was not offered a transfer budget that allowed him to get the calibre of players he was looking for.

The squad is within is remit though, or if you're saying they aren't then he can't take credit for our success this .

He can't criticised for wages and transfers, he can't take credit for that either, so the great buys we've had Alli, Toby, Son etc he can't get credit for that because you're saying he can't be criticised for wages and transfers.

I don’t think anyone’s trying to give him credit for scouting or picking players, I’m certainly not, but his job is to run and develop the club, oversee all aspects of that development, make strategic choices that impact who else influences that process and how, and he’s grown the business/club better than any other club has been developed organically in Europe, which in turn means we have improved massively as a football team and should mean, a very healthy future for the football team generally.

And no, he doesn't deserve all the credit for wages and transfers, because what the manager and players do on the training ground and pitch has a big impact on that too, but he does deserve some credit for developing us into a business that was miles behind it's piers financially, to being one that has now overtaken Woolwich for revenues and is much, much closer to Liverpool and Chelsea - meaning we can start to pay better wages (and have) making us even more competitive in the future, regardless of if we make CL or miss it, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom