Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

According to some Levy gave him millions but Poch discovered there is not a single players in the world who can improve us

Maybe, just maybe Pochettino chose not to spend the money on someone he wasn't sure about so it could roll into a bigger amount at a more opportune time. When others like Brighton, Everton & Fulham did their money we didn't. That money hasn't evaporated, it's still there, just in larger volumes now we have gone 2 windows not spending it whilst prices were inflated due to the TV rights deal.

Everyone had money last summer, which saw spikes in fees. It's risk/ reward but with most doing their dough the supply and demand factor could see less competition for quality, all at a fairer price. Regardless of what reasons were made behind the decision can anyone say hand on heart it wasn't the right one in the end? Top 4, a semi final of a domestic cup and the final of the Champions League whilst doubling your money available all in all seems like a win for me.

There is a difference between on the cheap and sensibly.

You believe that spending £40m on Jack Grealish would be sensible. It is not. It never will be.

Whereas that money could have got us Moutinho and Maddison. That's on Poch and Hitchin.

You said Poch was given no money, you were wrong.

It amazes me how frivolous others are with spending people's money compared to how they respect their own bank accounts state. As you said £40m for Grealish, a player who got 3 assists in a Championship team last year wasn't the right deal to be had.

Would someone pay £500k for a £250 piece of land? Of course they wouldn't so how can anyone be so hypocrital about someone paying way over the odds for something that has potential to be worth something but in reality is nowhere near the asking price requested?

I wanted Grealish last summer, it didn't happen and I stand by it that I make the club right. Lay a marker for that deal and all overs in the future are inflated because you showed a weakness. Teams that come to the table with us to negotiate now won't see us as an easy ride, which we would have been seen as if we had dropped out pants and took the price from £25m up to £40m. Fair play Levy & the club for sticking to their guns knowing it came with risk and ridicule from all those that don't respect the value of a pound.

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe Pochettino chose not to spend the money on someone he wasn't sure about so it could roll into a bigger amount at a more opportune time. When others like Brighton, Everton & Fulham did their money we didn't. That money hasn't evaporated, it's still there, just in larger volumes now we have gone 2 windows not spending it whilst prices were inflated due to the TV rights deal.

Everyone had money last summer, which saw spikes in fees. It's risk/ reward but with most doing their dough the supply and demand factor could see less competition for quality, all at a fairer price. Regardless of what reasons were made behind the decision can anyone say hand on heart it wasn't the right one in the end? Top 4, a semi final of a domestic cup and the final of the Champions League whilst doubling your money available all in all seems like a win for me.

That I can get on board with , the forced narrative that Poch refused to spend money and the possibility that Poch decided that he couldn't get what he needed with the budget he was given are two different scenarios that need differentiating.

As you only deal in facts, I don't suppose you could tell us which players he didn't want?
Nope. And niether could you. And I couldn't tell you who he did want.

What we both know is that he got no-one for 2 successive transfer windows and is now making noises that we can't continue going forward with the same approach.

Those are the facts. And I only deal with facts, as you rightly pointed out.

It's really reached a new low on here when our manager, who has taken us to 4 successive top 4 finishes and a CL final on on peanuts is now being condemned as the villain of our transfer strategy. Simply for putting his balls on the table and asking for more backing and support from his chairman.
Some of you guys need a serious head wobble.

It's really reached a new low on here when our manager, who has taken us to 4 successive top 4 finishes and a CL final on on peanuts is now being condemned as the villain of our transfer strategy. Simply for putting his balls on the table and asking for more backing and support from his chairman.
Some of you guys need a serious head wobble.
Classic stumped John sensationalism.

No one has called him villain. It's you that taints Spurs employees as villains and have done for years. We have said he may have made a mistake. If you equivalate saying someone has made a mistake to calling them a villain, can we assume you don't believe Poch has ever made a mistake? Because if you have, you are also calling him a villain.

You were wrong, again. Man up and accept it rather than sensationalise bollocks about people calling Poch a villain.

I've supported Poch and the boys tenfold more than you have all season. You have mugged them off after every single loss. Bar none.

You will always be known, along with other tags as the guy who spent all season saying the champions league finalists squad is not good enough.

That I can get on board with , the forced narrative that Poch refused to spend money and the possibility that Poch decided that he couldn't get what he needed with the budget he was given are two different scenarios that need differentiating.
Great post. Simply put and simple to understand.
For most of us anyway....

I keep reading the transcript of that presser mate. And as much as I want to see it differently, Poch is saying openly imo (& any backtracking would make him look a bit stupid, which he isn’t) that the next 5 years for this club can’t be like the last 5 years.

He needs the tools to compete with Klopp, Pep and whoever is in charge at the chavs and the scum.

Put those two things together.

I think his words were quite strong indication that he has to be allowed to do things differently and to my mind that can only mean money because he seems to have an otherwise pretty free reign at the Lane & rightly so.

I can see why you might think that but imo thats not the case.
I think that for a several reasons. We all agree he has a good relationship with Levy, so if he wanted to achieve a certain outcome or change of direction then he would talk privately with Levy to achieve that. It would display poor management/ people skills / tactics (and lack of class) to try to publicly put pressure on your boss by announcing what you want to the media. And we know Poch is a smarter than that.
Also In the past Poch has often made contradictory statements in his press conferences ( this was raises as a discussion topic on a past podcast- i think the Last Word on Spurs) and so imo you cannot read too much into what he says.

Well Antonio Conte still hasn't taken another job because he's still under contract to Chelsea - so, yes it has stopped managers.
Usually depends on the severance package. To all intents Conte was sacked so it's possible part of his pay off included some stipulation that prohibits further employment for an agreed period.
There's no way Poch's getting fired. If he walks it'll be his decision and without a pay off, surely.

Usually depends on the severance package. To all intents Conte was sacked so it's possible part of his pay off included some stipulation that prohibits further employment for an agreed period.
There's no way Poch's getting fired. If he walks it'll be his decision and without a pay off, surely.

But then he's still under contract for another 4 years, Spurs have to pay him but he can't just walk out and go to another club unless the club agrees.

It's a fixed term contract, if there were no protection for a club then they would never sign such long contracts.

Back
Top Bottom