We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The irony that none of these cunts get, and it goes for goons as well and anyone else who’s says you’ve won fuck all, you’ve got no history empty cabinets zzzzzz....

If you support a team like Spurs, or even worse Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Wednesday and so on...you can be many things - a masochist probably - but the one thing you are not is a plastic. We endure disappointment by the fucking decade, not the season, and we still go and we still support and we still have hope. It’s the essence of what being a football fan is.

Why is it the dim are always the loudest? Low IQs in Liverpool or something? Silly entitled cunts

“Yoove neva won nottin an dats why ya’rall glory hunterz..............lah”

RAWK gems

To be fair, I think most neutrals want us to win.

We have the whole Woolwich community with us.

We will be more patient, and will eventually breakthrough and win more comfortably.

At least Harry won't be able to throw himself to the floor for a penalty and get away with it.

After last years final and missing out on the title on 97 bloody points. The team are a wounded animal. We are gonna be on fire to beat spurs and win the final.

Leave the c*nts crying at half time then go at them even harder 2nd half, anything less than 4-0 and I'll be crying

They're utter shite.

We turn up, 2 or 3 goals up to nil, trophy won. No last minute dramas, no extra time, no penalty shoot-out, nothing of the sort. Just a confident win.

I want to smash them so bad they regret even making the final. This is the European Cup, this is our domain, fuck off Spurs

Who are these people?

I ventured over to their 'forum' (showered afterwards)

I noticed a 'Hillsborough Memorial Board' (quite rightly). No such 'Heysel Memorial Board'

Last edited:
Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Sissoko - Eriksen
Dele
Lucas - Kane - Son
Has to be the line-up really doesn't it?

Wouldn't surprise me though to see one of Wanyama or Dier come in for Lucas and Trippier starting at right back, both of which I feel would be mistakes.

I'd love for Winks to be back, but a game of this magnitude might be a bit tough for him to come in and start from the off so a place on the bench would be glorious.

Lloris
Sissoko - Eriksen
Dele
Lucas - Kane - Son

Wouldn't surprise me though to see one of Wanyama or Dier come in for Lucas and Trippier starting at right back, both of which I feel would be mistakes.

I'd love for Winks to be back, but a game of this magnitude might be a bit tough for him to come in and start from the off so a place on the bench would be glorious.

That'll do if Winks is not fit. If he is fit, then Winks for Lucas (plus a formation reshuffle)

Trippier for Aurier (we'll never agree!)

In a weird way, whoever our left backs are - it's probably Son and Moura (assuming they start) that are going to need to give the defensive performances of their lives. Even if Trippier/Rose have the discipline not to get suckered into the middle by Mane/Salah, it's hard to stop the ball back to Robertson/TAA unless someone is over there stopping the overlap. If they can cut off Liverpool's angles then it could give us some fantastic opportunities to hit on the break.

In a weird way, whoever our left backs are - it's probably Son and Moura (assuming they start) that are going to need to give the defensive performances of their lives. Even if Trippier/Rose have the discipline not to get suckered into the middle by Mane/Salah, it's hard to stop the ball back to Robertson/TAA unless someone is over there stopping the overlap. If they can cut off Liverpool's angles then it could give us some fantastic opportunities to hit on the break.
agree.
what was the tactical change that Poch made in the recent league game which turned things?
did he go 442?

To be fair to him he was decent in the second half vs Ajax

Only because Ajax put in a cowardly second half performance.

Liverpool are going to press the fuck out of us and attack - they know that's what we struggle with and will no doubt be targeting the space that's usually behind both full backs. Both of Ajax goals last week came down to Trippier. Goal in the first leg was because Trippier played van de Beek onside. Goals conceded against City in the quarters were down to both Trippier and Rose. It's a problem.

Get through the 25/30 minute Liverpool press and we'll be fine. Happens almost everytime we play them, they fly out of the blocks and we're never ready. They are first to everything. Want it more. But then they just sort of slow themselves down after that and we get ourselves more into the game.

It's telling that the last two seasons at Anfield, we could quite easily have came away with a point in both or won both. Liverpool destroy us early on and usually get an early goal but then we grow into the game and match them. Don't concede to them within 30 minutes and we're well in with a shout.

Though saying that, I've stopped predicting our Champions League games. We haven't led a single one of our CL games at half time this season yet we find ourselves in the CL final..

Lloris
Sissoko - Eriksen
Dele
Lucas - Kane - Son

That's more likely the team we will see if we go one or two goals down. I think Poch will start with a more defensively cautious line up tbh. Trippier and Dier in with Aurier and one of Lucas and Son out of that team

agree.
what was the tactical change that Poch made in the recent league game which turned things?
did he go 442?

Well, in the last league game against Liverpool we played with Trippier and Rose as midfielders with a back three. I think he moved to more of a 4-4-2 by bringing on Davies. If not for that Toby OG...

First game at Wembley we played with our narrow 4-3-3 formation with wing-backs and they got sooo many chances.

Only because Ajax put in a cowardly second half performance.

Liverpool are going to press the fuck out of us and attack - they know that's what we struggle with and will no doubt be targeting the space that's usually behind both full backs. Both of Ajax goals last week came down to Trippier. Goal in the first leg was because Trippier played van de Beek onside. Goals conceded against City in the quarters were down to both Trippier and Rose. It's a problem.

Get through the 25/30 minute Liverpool press and we'll be fine. Happens almost everytime we play them, they fly out of the blocks and we're never ready. They are first to everything. Want it more. But then they just sort of slow themselves down after that and we get ourselves more into the game.

It's telling that the last two seasons at Anfield, we could quite easily have came away with a point in both or won both. Liverpool destroy us early on and usually get an early goal but then we grow into the game and match them. Don't concede to them within 30 minutes and we're well in with a shout.

Though saying that, I've stopped predicting our Champions League games. We haven't led a single one of our CL games at half time this season yet we find ourselves in the CL final..
they didn't slow against Barca, they were able to press until they got the 3 goals. That game was really impressive.

The game we lost due to an own goal at Anfield we played 3 at the back. Both times we met the season we didn't have Son.

Son - Moura

Dele

Rose - Sissoko - Eriksen - Aurier

Vertonghen - Sanchez - Alderwiereld

Lloris
Bench: Gazzaniga, Foyth, Wanyama, Davies, Winks, Lamela, Kane

This is Premier League opposition, the 'big man' up front technique is likely not to be as effective. Saying that, if we need to bring on Kane - it's a straight swap for Sanchez.

Trippier gets destroyed by anyone with a tiny bit of pace and responsible for giving a goal or two away in almost every single match. Poch has to wake the fuck up and not start him. Would be stupid to give them a couple of goals when it is avoidable.
in principal you’re right, the only problem is can you really be confident that any of the potential options will be error free on the big night. Let’s play the law of averages & hope he has one decent game in him to offset the rest of his season including a decent cross or three.

Neville and Becks have picked a side

Most neutrals in fact want us to win

‘Neville and
Pressure cranked up even more for Liverpool after throwing away that 10 point lead and failing to win the league.

They'll fly out the blocks and pressure us for 20-25 minutes like they usually do. Just need to weather that and they'll slow down as per.
I remember your post in the city match thread “please don’t concede in the first 15 minutes .... please don’t concede in the first 15 minutes....” I had to laugh as the fourth goal went in! (Well actually, no I didn’t...)
I agree - we need to take the heat out of the game early on, but I don’t imagine it will be an easy thing to achieve.

It's hard to imagine losing the title won't have some impact on them. I'd be absolutely devastated, I mean it would utterly end me, if Spurs got 97 points and still didn't win the title one year. I actually genuinely feel gutted for them and I wanted it to happen! It's the stuff of nightmares. In the final at any point it's not going their way they will shit the bed and make mistakes I promise you.
I hope you are right old boy.

The game we lost due to an own goal at Anfield we played 3 at the back. Both times we met the season we didn't have Son.

Son - Moura

Dele

Rose - Sissoko - Eriksen - Aurier

Vertonghen - Sanchez - Alderwiereld

Lloris
Bench: Gazzaniga, Foyth, Wanyama, Davies, Winks, Lamela, Kane

This is Premier League opposition, the 'big man' up front technique is likely not to be as effective. Saying that, if we need to bring on Kane - it's a straight swap for Sanchez.
we've been appalling this season with 3 at the back. I also think they'll do what ajax did to us and just push their from 3 right up against our cbs and we'll have to keep going long.

Hope we start both Lucas and Son even if Kane is fit. Liverpool score far too many from their fullbacks assisting. Need Lucas and Son's pace to worry their fullbacks enough not to come out too much.
Kane May be fit, but match fitness is a different thing. I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision whether he starts or not. If he does start on the bench and we are still in the game (within a goal) at 60 minutes - well, what an option to bring off the bench.

‘Neville and

I remember your post in the city match thread “please don’t concede in the first 15 minutes .... please don’t concede in the first 15 minutes....” I had to laugh as the fourth goal went in! (Well actually, no I didn’t...)
I agree - we need to take the heat out of the game early on, but I don’t imagine it will be an easy thing to achieve.

Barcelona (H) - Conceded in 2 minutes
PSV (H) - Conceded in 2 minutes
Barcelona (A) - Conceded in 7 minutes.
Man City (A) - Conceded 2 in 11 minutes.
Ajax (H) - Conceded in 15 minutess
Ajax (A) - Conceded in 5 minutes

It's just madness.

We really do like making it hard for ourselves. We were the better team against PSV, away at Barcelona and for large parts of both games against Ajax too despite going behind first in all of them.

We can't keep riding our luck though. Liverpool's different.

A Plan B of knocking it long to Llorente isn't going to work against them. Van Dijk would murder him. So if our plan A doesn't work, it gets a little bit harder.

In all honesty, if Kane isn't fit, I'd play Dele as a false 9 to try and draw the likes of van Dijk out and exploit space in behind through Son and Lucas - it'd be absolutely POINTLESS playing Llorente at all in the final unless we are quite simply desperate for a goal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom