We can be heroes (again) Ajax versus Tottenham Hotspur CL Semi Final Wed 8th May

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I went to the toilet at the final whistle (just to let out a bit of emotion...) and as I came out another (male) Spurs fan grabbed me and kissed me.

Right on the lips.

Another man kissed me full on the lips.

And I didn't even mind.

In fact I nearly slipped him some tongue.

Hardly surprising... Bet Midler music blaring, barman stripped to the waist and a multi coloured flag outside....what do you expect!!

PSG spent billions on cowards and let a lion walk out the front door for 50% of his true worth , dickheads :dembelelol::kanegoal::eriksenlol::levylol:

I remember Neymar when he left being annoyed and when playing for Spurs in the CL saying he belonged there. How right he was. And kind of ironic that the big money club is out the competition but Lucas is in the final. He never stops and as shown tonight has loads of ability, and seems proper humble too. £25M. In this market. ROFL

We sung it in France and we sung it in Spain,
We sing in the sun and we sing in the rain,
They tried to stop us but look what it did!
Tottenham Hotspur is going to Madrid!
Going to Madrid, going to Madrid,
Tottenham Hotspur is going to Madrid!

YOU GET A LIKE, YOU GET A LIKE
JNhU5Tt-1.gif

EVERYONE GETS A LIKE
giphy.gif

That was like me after woolwich and utd cocked up last Sunday...every post seemed to deserve it.
Its been one hell of a week!!

I’ve got a mad busy day tomorrow at work and I won’t be able to sleep but who gives a fuck!!! Could only dream of us getting to a Champions League final! I’m honestly still shaking and lost for words!!

Fucking hell.

Be careful matey. You say they going after kids too? Fucking wankers

We’ve got a 17 year old lad with is who’s just had his head kicked in for wearing a scarf. Cunts.

He’s ok though, we’ve all just given him a few quid to go and occupy himself for 3 minutes with a local bird, if you get what I mean...

Want to talk about ‘destiny’, Liverpool? Spurs want a word…

At half-time it felt like the frenzied insistence on talking about comebacks from 3-0 deficits was utterly ridiculous, a cynical ploy to stop viewers from switching off. On the evidence of the previous 135 minutes against Ajax, there was almost no chance of pulling off a Liverpool-style revival; they had been comprehensively outplayed and it was time to think about the summer and much-needed investment. The Ajax fans were singing, the Tottenham fans were muttering about Victor Wanyama and a sixth defeat in seven games felt like exactly the right way to end this illogical season of somewhat success from the north London side.

We really should have known better. This is the Spurs side that has – the curious cruise against Borussia Dortmund aside – been pretty much minutes from Champions League exit from the second it kicked off. And yet they have survived. Again and again and again. They have stumbled, they have bumbled and now here they are in a Champions League final. While those on Merseyside giddily talk of destiny, there are some in north London who want a word.

They lost their opening two games and manager Mauricio Pochettino took them to Eindhoven, warning that “if we are not capable of winning this type of game we cannot win the title”; they drew 2-2 and we wrote that they had been ‘all-but ousted from the Champions League in October’. They were then all-but ousted from the Champions League in November and then December, with winners and equalisers coming in the 89th, 80th and 85th minute. Against Manchester City in April, they flip-flopped between triumph and despair until finally settling on the former via a 93rd-minute disallowed goal from a City side who had taken them apart at the Etihad.

And now here we are in May and Tottenham have pulled off the utterly unthinkable again to shatter all logic. They are the first team to reach the Champions League final having failed to win any of their three opening group games; they are the first team since Manchester United in 1999 to overturn a 2-0 semi-final scoreline to win the game; they are the first team since Tuesday to make us say ‘f***ing, f***ing hell’ out loud.

This simply should not have happened. Not when this is a side that has not seen any player investment since Lucas Moura arrived for £25m in January 2018. Not when almost every first-team player survived into the latter stages of the World Cup. Not when they were without a home stadium for two-thirds of the season. Not when they came into this game in horrendous form, seemingly stumbling into a brick wall after a thin squad had been stretched to its limit. Not when they were missing their world-class striker. Did we mention that none of this is logical?

Days after we watched them collapse in a heap of petulance at Bournemouth, they did the opposite in Amsterdam. A molehill turned into a mountain and they responded by finding missing-presumed-empty reserves of energy and resilience, with Ajax visibly rattled by a switch of tactics to incorporate the ‘big man’ up front. In Moura they had a man made for this feted and fated occasion, his clarity of thought, intelligence of movement and sweetness of finish the perfect combination.

“Thank you football. Thank you my players, they are heroes,” said a tearful Mauricio Pochettino after a match that left him on his knees, exhausted and exhilarated. When he recovers he will have quite the task on his hands: How do you go about winning a game in which both teams believe their name must be on the trophy? Right now it feels like tactics might be pointless, and forging a 3-0 lead more pointless still.

Sarah Winterburn

Back
Top Bottom