Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree with this. I don't trust his eye for a player. He has been involved in the buying of some awful trash since he came through the door.

What I envy about the way Liverpool do things is they seem to have quite a clear idea of the type of player they need to improve themselves. They don't seem to buy anyone who hasn't got terrific athleticism.
apart from:
Coates, Lambert, Aspas, Caulker, kolo Toure, Moreno, Ibe, Benteke, Balottelli, Alberto, Sakho, Andre Wisdom, Strurridge, Ings, ojo, Karius, Klavan, Markovic, Origi (did alright last night but has barely made an appearance), Bogdan, Solanke.

EVERY team sings shit or players that don't work out. For some teams, there is more talk about those that don't workout than others.

Last edited:
Mate, just stop putting your shit over those quotes, the parts you ignore or don't highlight are just as telling as the parts you think are important. You go on about the seeing the bigger picture yet insist on only looking at the part of that bigger picture that suits your negativity...

LOL, the other parts aren't saying anything that changes it! I am not putting a negative spin on anything I am highlighting the relevant parts.

Even when you read the entire quote as a whole it changes nothing, you have yet to tell me what you believe the quotes mean, please, enlighten me.

We're literally a completely manageable result away from the CL final against a club we're 8 goals to 7 against over the past 2 seasons and you're still fucking moaning about spending.

Seriously, do you every just shut the fuck up and enjoy football? Is that possible for you? Jesus fucking christ, mate.

tenor.gif

Quoted for emphasis..

Poch is clearly stating that he is going to leave Spurs and work for Bielsa in the Championship with Leeds next season. It's all right there I don't know why you can't see the obvious.

apart from:
Coates, Lambert, Aspas, Caulker, kolo Toure, Moreno, Ibe, Benteke, Balottelli, Alberto, Sakho, Andre Wisdom, Strurridge, Ings, ojo, Karius, Klavan, Markovic, Origi (did alright last night but has barely made an appearance), Bogdan, Solanke.

EVERY team sings shit or players that don't work out. For some teams, there is more talk about those that don't workout than others.
Hang on there, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 . I'm talking about Klopp's time in charge.

Poch is clearly stating that he is going to leave Spurs and work for Bielsa in the Championship with Leeds next season. It's all right there I don't know why you can't see the obvious.

The pork pies 🥧 there are amazing

I don't understand how anybody can interpret his quotes about Real Madrid as a positive, please, explain to me, in what way are those quotes positive other than the fact we have a decent and loyal human being as our manager that will stay here as long as he feels morally obligated to and it doesn't make him feel like he is betraying his own moral compass.

He is literally saying in that very quote that the reason he didn't move to Madrid is because he made Levy a promise and that Levy didn't want to listen to offers, it says nothing whatsoever about him staying because he wants to stay, he is staying because he is loyal to his word.

How can people not see the difference between the two things? It's like talking to imbeciles I swear.

He said last week that Pochettino is an Italian name. I had no idea.

When we were playing an Italian side (last year or year before, might have been Juve or Inter ) in the away leg at the press conference, an Italian journalist said 'I know you are from an Italian family, do you mind if I ask you questions in Italian' to which Poch replied 'That's fine but I need to reply in English as most Spurs fans don't speak Italian'

So definitely a 2nd or 3rd generation Italian living in Argentina (and no doubt holds an Italian passport to allow him to work in EU - hopefully also now armed with a UK passport for Brext reasons)

I don't understand how anybody can interpret his quotes about Real Madrid as a positive, please, explain to me, in what way are those quotes positive other than the fact we have a decent and loyal human being as our manager that will stay here as long as he feels morally obligated to and it doesn't make him feel like he is betraying his own moral compass.

He is literally saying in that very quote that the reason he didn't move to Madrid is because he made Levy a promise and that Levy didn't want to listen to offers, it says nothing whatsoever about him staying because he wants to stay, he is staying because he is loyal to his word.

How can people not see the difference between the two things? It's like talking to imbeciles I swear.

If he wasn't enjoying himself at Spurs he would be saying to Levy, I want to talk to you about moving to Club X.

Levy might try to dissuade him, ask what had changed etc, but if Poch was adamant no doubt Levy would be saying if Club X is asking you, tell them to talk to me about buying out your contract.

No different to many of us - if a competitor tries to recruit you, your boss might try to disuade you but if that fails, he says 'ok but you need to work your 6 months notice' Or whatever it is.

But the fact that hasn't happened means Poch is probably reasonably happy.

And if I was Poch I would be looking at ManU and saying to myself 'if I go there I need 2 or 3 years to change the squad and I can't talk to the owner directly as Woodward is my boss' and 'Real Madrid - trying to manage a bunch of narcistic super stars is not my thing - and I have little contact with the President there' so all things being equal, I like Spurs, I am well paid, I can talk to the owner whenever I want so I feel I have some control over my destiny, and its no upheavals for me and my family for a few years. That's why I'm happy and wont be leaving immediately. But if things change, for sure I might need to look round

I don't get your point.

He stayed cos he signed a contract and he will honour it.

How is that a bad thing?

If he wasn't enjoying himself at Spurs he would be saying to Levy, I want to talk to you about moving to Club X.

Levy might try to disade him, ask what had changed etc, but if Poch was adamant no doubt Levy would be saying if Club X is asking you, tell them to talk to me about buying out your contract.

No different to many of us - if a competitor tries to recruit you, your boss might try to disuade you but if that fails, he says 'ok but you need to work your 6 months notice' Or whatever it is.

But the fact that hasn't happened means Poch is probably reasonably happy.

And if I was Poch I would be looking at ManU and saying to myself 'if I go there I need 2 or 3 years to change the squad and I can't talk to the owner directly as Woodward is my boss' and 'Real Madrid - trying to manage a bunch of narcistic super stars is not my thing - and I have little contact with the President there' so all things being equal, I like Spurs, I am well paid, I can talk to the owner whenever I want so I feel I have some control over my destiny, and its no upheavals for me and my family for a few years. That's why I'm happy and wont be leaving immediately. But if things change, for sure I might need to look round

Mate, he literally says it, right in the quote.

"You know if a coach wants to leave, he leaves. But I’d just signed a new deal with Tottenham and I didn’t feel I could do anything. Daniel Levy didn’t want to accept any offers to free me from my contract and if they ask me to break my deal, I can’t do it, because that isn’t how I behave."

I don't know how you can interpret that in any other way than "I had just signed a new deal with Spurs so I didn't feel I could do anything about my situation, Daniel Levy didn't want to accept any offers to free me from my contract and because it isn't morally right I wouldn't force a move when I have already given my word."

It says it, right there in black and white.

I don't get your point.

He stayed cos he signed a contract and he will honour it.

How is that a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing for us as a club, I am not saying it's a bad thing that he is still our manager, I want him to stay and I admire his loyalty as a human to his word.

I am simply saying that those quotes indicate he wanted to move to Madrid but his moral compass and Daniel Levy wouldn't allow for it to happen.

When you pair that with him being outspoken about our lack of activity in the market and him saying that Levy is saying all the right things but he needs to show the action to support his words about wanting to win titles then it paints for a pretty poor reflection of our current situation behind the scenes unless Levy has a huge change of tact and fully backs him with huge funds so we can truly compete at the "next level" (which I don't believe he will personally.)

Hmmm,

10 hours away from possibly securing at CL final spot, and we are bickering between ourselves as to what Poch meant / said / intended.

Being a Poch thread, thats all well and good.

Bottom line, with all the debate re transfer windows, injuries, player selections, as so forth, he is the main reason we are even chatting on this thread today.

We could well have been out the door in the group stages, but we are hours away from possibly a CL final.

Enjoy the ride I say... They don't come around too often.
I keep saying it , humans love to argue & moan no matter what.

It's not a bad thing for us as a club, I am not saying it's a bad thing that he is still our manager.

I am simply saying that those quotes indicate he wanted to move to Madrid but his moral compass and Daniel Levy wouldn't allow for it to happen.

When you pair that with him being outspoken about our lack of activity in the market and him saying that Levy is saying all the right things but he needs to show the action to support his words about wanting to win titles then it paints for a pretty poor reflection of our current situation behind the scenes.

Not at all. This is a case of you looking for negatives.

His quotes show me that, despite interest from the biggest clubs, he will honour his contract. That can only be a good thing.

He will expect that attitude from the players. He probably says to them that they shouldn't sign a deal they won't honour. That, in turn, means good things for all of our players on long term deals and explains the Toby and Christian situations.

Well done Poch for being honourable and well done Levy for tying people in I say.

Mate, he literally says it, right in the quote.

"You know if a coach wants to leave, he leaves. But I’d just signed a new deal with Tottenham and I didn’t feel I could do anything. Daniel Levy didn’t want to accept any offers to free me from my contract"

I don't know how you can interpret that in any other way than "I had just signed a new deal with Spurs so I didn't feel I could do anything about my situation, Daniel Levy didn't want to accept any offers to free me from my contract"

It says it, right there in black and white.

You can be quite sure that Poch and Levy had conversations before the contract was signed - Levy saying We want you to stay and heare's another contract. Poch doesn't need to sign - he's still got an existing contract.

So Poch might think of other clubs, but decides to sign the contract with Spurs. Whilst I am sure there was more money in the contract, I'd suggest he signed it because he was quite happy at Spurs.

Why do you think he signed a new contract wth Spurs ?

Not at all. This is a case of you looking for negatives.

His quotes show me that, despite interest from the biggest clubs, he will honour his contract. That can only be a good thing.

He will expect that attitude from the players. He probably says to them that they shouldn't sign a deal they won't honour. That, in turn, means good things for all of our players on long term deals and explains the Toby and Christian situations.

Well done Poch for being honourable and well done Levy for tying people in I say.

I keep seeing this "looking for negatives" bollocks and I am sorry, I am as positive as they come about Spurs but that doesn't mean that positivity leaks into ignorance of reality.

I could say I think you are looking for positives, which I truly think you are because the quotes are right there to be seen, please tell me how they should be interpreted? Read the quote and then tell me what he meant by it?

Yes, his quotes do show that he will honour his contract because he made a promise to Levy, his quotes also show that he wanted to move to Madrid and the reason he didn't was because he made that promise to Levy and Levy wouldn't accept offers to talk about it, therefore Poch didn't want to kick up a stink because that's not how he operates, can you disprove what I am saying?

I agree with you that Poch is a good person and I also agree with you that he instills that philosophy into our players.

But I also think that Levy is not backing his man and that's why Poch is making it Crystal clear about what we need at this football club to improve.

Oh....
Shaqiri (??has he been a success??), Oxlaide-Chamberlin, Caulker, Ings, Ojo, Karius, Klavan, Origi (did alright last night but has barely made an appearance), Bogdan, Solanke.
They've got a transfer committee there, and I think it is paying dividends. But my original point was that they favour players who, in addition to being able to play a bit, can play at a very high intensity because of their athletic ability. Don't be a micro-dick now, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 -you had no problem praising them last night.

Back
Top Bottom