Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch is kind of a bitch for repeatedly mentioning the lack of spending. He is far better off than all but a handful of other managers. He devalues his own job by constantly emphasizing how important $$$ is. If managing actually matters, then he should suck it up, stop mentioning it, and try to win with what he has. If he’s doing it to leverage/pressure ownership, this is also a bitch move. If he leaves, he leaves. But would it really be so impressive to go somewhere else and win when you are provided with all of the best players money can buy? MU and City both have 13 players making 100,000/week while Spurs have 5.

When he was going on about it being a miracle if we won the Champions League and that it would take another miracle to win it again, he said it with an "I've done all I can with what I've got" look on his face. He looked genuinely fucked off/deflated. Although I feel as though he should have kept a lid on that until the season is over, certainly not the day before a semi-final. It doesn't matter what he actually meant, people are going to interpret what he said and how he said it in their own ways - I'm now concerned that some of the players might be thinking about his future and not on beating Ajax.

He probably sees it that he has coached the team to the highest level he can and the only way to improve further is to buy new players. If Levy isn't prepared to back him in the window, then why would he want to stay? There are a fuck load of big clubs that would chew a nut off to have him as their manager. Many of them would virtually hand him a blank cheque and tell him to go nuts.

This summer is going to be crucial. If Levy doesn't back Poch or at least meet him halfway then I can see him walking as soon as a suitable offer comes along. He has done everything and more of what Levy has asked him over the past 5 years. He's an ambitious manager - if he doesn't feel Levy shares his ambition then he'll leave. Simple as that.

If Levy isn't prepared to back him in the window, then why would he want to stay? There are a fuck load of big clubs that would chew a nut off to have him as their manager. Many of them would virtually hand him a blank cheque and tell him to go nuts.
Name some. If Poch said tomorrow he was ready to move on from the Spurs project, who are these big clubs that in your estimation will chew a nut off to get him and write a blank cheque? Hmm?

When he was going on about it being a miracle if we won the Champions League and that it would take another miracle to win it again, he said it with an "I've done all I can with what I've got" look on his face. He looked genuinely fucked off/deflated.

It's been like that for much of the latter part of the season. You can see the "I can't believe it's come to this" written all over his face. He's in training every day with these guys, they're knackered (where not injured), they just aren't capable of giving what he knows they have at their best.

Name some. If Poch said tomorrow he was ready to move on from the Spurs project, who are these big clubs that in your estimation will chew a nut off to get him and write a blank cheque? Hmm?

Yeah, I think you're right, and I think that plays into his frustration. He committed his future to the club last summer, and I don't want to say he has buyer's remorse, because I do think he loves this group of players and this project at the club, but he's a super competitive guy, and I don't think he imagined himself scraping and clawing to just limp over the line at the end of the first season in the new stadium.

It needs a refresh in the summer. Everybody knows it. Let's go get it done.

I choose to believe he just found yet another press conference tiresome - it really must get tedious answering the same questions over and over again. I'm sure he'll present a different face in front of the players.

Well obviously there'd have to be a vacancy. He isn't just going to walk out if all the big clubs have settled managers, unless of course he wants to be unemployed. Hence why I said, 'as soon as a suitable offer comes along'.

As far as the clubs in my estimation are concerned. If Madrid, Juventus, Bayern, PSG, United, City or Barcelona sacked their managers, I reckon that most would be interested in Poch. All of those clubs have the financial means to buy him out and allow him to create the team that he wants (within reason).

I'm not saying that this is what he wants. I don't know what he wants. As a Spurs fan I want him to stay at the club because I rate him. My point was that IF he wants to go because he feels as though he has taken us as far as he can, then I can imagine there being a fair few clubs with more financial firepower than us clawing at the door.

Well obviously there'd have to be a vacancy. He isn't just going to walk out if all the big clubs have settled managers, unless of course he wants to be unemployed. Hence why I said, 'as soon as a suitable offer comes along'.

As far as the clubs in my estimation are concerned. If Madrid, Juventus, Bayern, PSG, United, City or Barcelona sacked their managers, I reckon that most would be interested in Poch. All of those clubs have the financial means to buy him out and allow him to create the team that he wants (within reason).

I'm not saying that this is what he wants. I don't know what he wants. As a Spurs fan I want him to stay at the club because I rate him. My point was that IF he wants to go because he feels as though he has taken us as far as he can, then I can imagine there being a fair few clubs with more financial firepower than us clawing at the door.
But you said if Levy didn't back him in the window, assuming you mean this window. None of those clubs is changing management soon. The only job where he'd get money to spend at the levels he can't at Spurs, that may come available in the next couple of seasons is PSG (who might not even have wealthy owners much longer). Chelsea is the only club he could really leave Spurs for...and it's clear they don't come with a blank cheque anymore, nor do they have the patience to attract him.

The only place I can see Poch going is coaching Argentina while waiting for Zindane to tire of Madrid again. But there just aren't big time suitors for him anymore...he passed chances at Madrid, United, and PSG - for better or worse he is ours and we are his for the foreseeable future I'd say.

I choose to believe he just found yet another press conference tiresome - it really must get tedious answering the same questions over and over again. I'm sure he'll present a different face in front of the players.

But it's not a normal press conference. It's the night before the 2nd leg of a CL semi final where you are only one goal down against Ajax. Is it so hard to be happy and just talk about the game ahead

If we go out there and show no heart or cohesion he can “go home” too for all I care.

The man is on 9M pounds a year for all you thinking he’s hard done by.
If he wants to walk away from the new ground and new era, goodbye.

Because you can whine on about fatigue, well most players haven’t even played a full season it’s pointed out on a daily basis......sorry wasn’t Henderson at the World Cup? Looks fine to me.

We’ve abandoned pressing, for tactical reasons, not tiredness and you can all pretend it’s not the case, but the fact is we stopped pressing long before the World Cup excuses.

It’s been over two years since we played that way....rumours about players being unhappy with the grueling training regime and it appears Poch pandered to them and we started to play like Paint Dry FC.

Can anyone remember the last performance they genuinely enjoyed? Im talking Real Madrid 3-1 here, Chelsea 5-3, not just the result and euphoria or knocking City out the other week.

Needs to pull his socks up and shut the fuck up.....it used to be funny to hear people say Klopp was a better manager. Not now.

“Oh the money Liverpool spent”......Robertson, Arnold, Milner and Henderson and Wijnaldum and Shaqiri and Origi out there smashing the shit out of Messi.
Our boys wouldn’t shove Messi’s head while he’s sitting on the floor, they’d pick him up and say sorry...fawn fawn fawn.

You can’t buy belief in the badge, you can’t buy mentality, and you can’t buy the right tactics.

As I said, fail on those fronts tonight and I couldn’t give a fuck if he “goes home”......lose all you want Spurs, but lose with dignity. I’d rather be crying at how we didn’t deserve to go out than wimp out playing like we did last week.

Disagree all you want I’m sick of it......like Spurs are the only players who went to World Cup....sounds like West Ham fans.

Oh Deles missed games, Jans missed 15 games we haven’t fielded our best line up more than 5 times.....so how are they fatigued?
One minute we’re shit and need signings the next we’re fatigued which is it?

Were we fatigued when we knocked City out? Were they more fatigued?
Are Liverpool on crack? Or haven’t their players played any football for a couple years?

People bending over backwards to defend ANYTHING Poch says or does.
If Redknapp said that the day before we play the most important game in recent history, there would be a riot.
Wimp out, we’re fatigued and it’s Levy’s fault....win “hes magic you know”.

The bloke needs to deliver.....not silverware but a decent game of football. Miracles my arse, I heard Dele and Eriksen are two of the best AMs in the world.

Never have I come across a fan base where tactics and poor football and results are down to the chairman and the RB, but not the manager.....Scouse levels of nonsense.

Last edited:
Like the players, I just think Poch is fucking tired and wants to go on vacation. Why we are in the position we are in has been discussed ad naseum but there's only two, possibly three games left in the season so I think Poch and the players are just looking forward to going on vacation and starting the rebuild for next season.

With Poch it is probably more of a mental burnout than a physical one but yeah, he is knackered just as the players are.

Disagree all you want I’m sick of it......like Spurs are the only players who went to World Cup....sounds like West Ham fans.

Oh Deles missed games, Jans missed 15 games we haven’t fielded our best line up more than 5 times.....so how are they fatigued?

Are Liverpool on crack? Or haven’t their players played any football for a couple years?

If Redknapp said that the day before we play the most important game in recent history, there would be a riot.

The bloke needs to deliver.....not silverware but a decent game of football. Miracles my arse, I heard Dele and Eriksen are two of the best AMs in the world.

Never have I come across a fan base where tactics and poor football and results are down to the chairman and the RB, but not the manager.....Scouse levels of nonsense.
It's got to be something - we just haven't seen an outstanding performance at all this season..... We've had llanty of good "results" but I'm struggling to think of a game where I went away thinking we could beat anyone on our day - Huddersfield? Really scraping here.

Whatever you think - you can't not give the Liverpool team credit for last night - without Salah and Firminho.

We shall see what our players do tonight - I'm only fearful as they seem to have been playing within themselves for pretty much a 3rd of the season.

As has been said to death - if you can't get yourself gee'd up for a Champions league semi final........

Spot on.

Seems like half in this thread are insistent that this is an ultimatum and/or he definitely meant he's going,; and the other half are adamant that he just meant he's going back to his house after the game (which surely is a given, and not worthy of telling a room full of reporters?).

Truth is, none of us know what the fuck he's doing by coming out with these comments, other than it's a really fucking bizarre thing to come out with, regardless of his intention.

He does look like he's cracking under the pressure a bit, but who knows?

Like the players, I just think Poch is fucking tired and wants to go on vacation. Why we are in the position we are in has been discussed ad naseum but there's only two, possibly three games left in the season so I think Poch and the players are just looking forward to going on vacation and starting the rebuild for next season.

With Poch it is probably more of a mental burnout than a physical one but yeah, he is knackered just as the players are.

Is this genuinely what you believe?

We're about 10 hours away from a Champions League semi-final second leg, and you have no issue with the manager & squad dreaming of their fucking holidays?

I've heard it all now.

Seems like half in this thread are insistent that this is an ultimatum and/or he definitely meant he's going,; and the other half are adamant that he just meant he's going back to his house after the game (which surely is a given, and not worthy of telling a room full of reporters?).

Truth is, none of us know what the fuck he's doing by coming out with these comments, other than it's a really fucking bizarre thing to come out with, regardless of his intention.

He does look like he's cracking under the pressure a bit, but who knows?

He was quite clearly joking and making light of what winning the Champions league means.

He just meant - we win the match and I'll go home after as the season will be done and that'll be that - he was playing it cool.

If people read that as he's leaving Spurs then they must see conspiracy everywhere. Argentina is "Home" so do people think he's going to up sticks and bugger off back to Buenos Aires?

Nope he's saying the equivalent of - if Spurs win the champions league I'm going to go home put my feet up and have a nice cup of tea.

:pochsmirk:

Is this genuinely what you believe?

We're about 10 hours away from a Champions League semi-final second leg, and you have no issue with the manager & squad dreaming of their fucking holidays?

I've heard it all now.
Never said I don't have a problem with it. I bleat on before every game about focus and taking it one game at a time, and complaining about the players thinking too far ahead. But that doesn't mean I don't think that the players and Poch are starting to think about vacation.

He was quite clearly joking and making light of what winning the Champions league means.

He just meant - we win the match and I'll go home after as the season will be done and that'll be that - he was playing it cool.

If people read that as he's leaving Spurs then they must see conspiracy everywhere. Argentina is "Home" so do people think he's going to up sticks and bugger off back to Buenos Aires?

Nope he's saying the equivalent of - if Spurs win the champions league I'm going to go home put my feet up and have a nice cup of tea.

:pochsmirk:
Quite clearly? So clear that a journalist asked for clarification?

We've wanted longevity in a manager, to be considered a top team, to be consistently competing for as long as I e been a fan. Add to that the quality of football - apart from spells this and last season - we've had that too.
Now some people that endured the decade long shit shows are moaning.
Moaning about a season where we are close to 4th and a cl semi despite (you can't discount these factors) playing the majority or or games in away or new stadiums and no new players - seems a bit extreme. The fatigue thing I agree is over done and that is a criticism of poch that he's not integrated the squad as well as he could, often until it's too late. Injuries though are a factor and any other 'successful' manager would point to those.

Back
Top Bottom