The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The most shambolic "race" for top 4 ever:dembelelol: but fuck it, we're almost there....
1199752_i14391439069.gif

Bissouma sums it up basically

Do we have it in our legs to mega-press for a good 60/70 mins?

We were at our pressing best when bossing the MF and with peak KW/DR.

- Vic & Dier don't much in their legs for differing reasons (I sense we see both on the basis of neither lasting a whole game anyway).
- No Winks to recycle the ball.
- FBs are struggling for end product. No aggression at RWB.

Meanwhile what are the strengths of those we have available... 2 pacey attackers (Son & Lucas), 2 technical/creative players (albeit needing to find a flash of top form for the occasion - CE/DA) and physicality in the middle (MS/VD/ED). Even if we don't intend to play through the middle we must be prepared to win the match there, so how do we get the best out of the CMs we have available? Let's not subject then to more running than necessary.

I'm sure someone will be able to set me straight, why not just let the FBs be FBs + 2 CMs. Press aggressively accross the attacking line(s) without over-committing in terms of high back line or number of bodies overall. Sissoko being the more mobile of the 2 can also join the press where required.

Might look stupid on paper, but:

Boss
RB / TA / JV / LB
Lucas / Sissoko / Vic / Son
Eriksen / Dele

or if not:

Boss
RB / TA / JV / LB
Sissoko / Vic
Lucas / Eriksen / Son
Dele

Either way those 2 wide boys got some running to do.

Make sense...
Although Dele best position is as a shadow striker, he needs to play with a typical forward that is mobile to open up spaces for him to cut in from behind. Kane fits the bill here.

However, with Kane injured, we don’t have any decent forward that is mobile enough to create spaces for Dele. Son and Moura’s strength is in their pace. Playing Dele behind both Moura and Son doesn’t make sense as Dele can’t catch up with them in a counter Attack.

As such, why not play Dele as a false nine with Son and Moura beside him. This will help to create spaces during a counter Attack and get players involved.

Now that the league has been done and dusted. It looks like we’ll be in pot 2 for CL seedlings for next season. Obviously pot 1 if we win it.

Unpopular opinion: I've liked being in Pot 3. Big games, big crowds, big pressure, that's both what the CL is all about from a spectator perspective, and I think it has also made our squad into hardened continental veterans in a short span.

You're also likelier to get a long midweek journey or two from Pot 2.

What am I missing here? Weren’t we already in Pot 2 THIS year? Liverpool came through Pot 3.

In any case, this is just another break going our way. COYS!

Yeah we were Pot 2 this year.

But were unfortunate to get Inter from Pot 4.

Still, worked out fairly OK didn’t it?:pochsmirk:

Last edited:
How can a team that finishes 4th get in Pot 2?

Our overall rank and other teams missing out, I believe.

We needed Roma and Sevilla to miss out. Sevilla have missed out and Roma need a 6 goal swing and hope that both Milan and Inter lose on the final day of Serie A to qualify.

Back
Top Bottom