Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what kind of injury Parrot has?
nothing from the club but rumours say it's a broken leg. Massive pinch of salt as these things have a tendency to be wrong and from I can see are all based on the fact that he was stretchered off.
D5WCoiXXsAEjBH6.jpg

Lilywhite Rose:

Contracts expiring in two months:

Brandon Austin (20)
Tom Glover (21)
Charlie Freeman (19)
Connor Ogilvie (23)
Japhet Tanganga (19)
George Marsh (20)
Jack Roles (20)
Dylan Duncan (20)
Shayon Harrison (21)

I think all these also finish in June??

De Bie, Jonathan
Dinzeyi, Jonathan Toko Lema
Hinds, Tariq Devontae Aaron
Reynolds, Jamie Joe

Possibly the first of the 2nd years to be announced with a pro contract (beyond a group including Skipp and Eyoma who were given ones many months ago), Statham (son of former Spurs player, Brian) was rumoured to have had trials elsewhere - Spurs have quote a lot of players in competition for defensive positions in Academy

Pochettino Junior is also rumoured to have signed his first pro contract.

Congrats to them both.

Been mulling over the news that Statham and Poch junior have been awarded pro contracts.

These are two of the players who have looked least good playing u18 football (bearing in mind that the Academy year 2 players as a whole look to be one of the best year groups we have had for a long time - even if there are only a couple of players who imo will really challenge for a first team place) which implies that pretty much all the year group are likely to be given pro contracts, with the possible exceptions being those who have had significant time out injured this season, such as Tainio and Mukendi who might get a 3rd year scholarship.

However in practice 3rd year scholars (whilst rare) often play u23 football at least in the 2nd half of the season, so with the rest getting pro contracts that means around 15 players joining u23 ranks.

This season we've had around 22 players in the development squad, latterly with around 7 on loan (Ogilvie, Glover, Edwards, Sterling, Harrison, Sashoua, Georgiou) so with that number of players coming up and a fairly large u23 squad already, we must expect a large number of departures mostly permanent transfers but with a few going on loan.

Not sure whether Poch will continue to include some (eg Eyoma) in the first team squad or whether he'll look at some of the u23's (eg Bowden who has been 19th man a few times)

From all that we'll then try to understand whether Poch's ideas on youth development are evolving or otherwise.

Going back to youth football for a moment, we have a couple of 'end of year' tournaments coming up later in May/early June.

Possibly the first of the 2nd years to be announced with a pro contract (beyond a group including Skipp and Eyoma who were given ones many months ago), Statham (son of former Spurs player, Brian) was rumoured to have had trials elsewhere - Spurs have quote a lot of players in competition for defensive positions in Academy

Pochettino Junior is also rumoured to have signed his first pro contract.

Congrats to them both.
Thanks for that.
What is the normal length of "pro contracts?" 1 year?

Lilywhite Rose:

Contracts expiring in two months:

Brandon Austin (20)
Tom Glover (21)
Charlie Freeman (19)
Connor Ogilvie (23)
Japhet Tanganga (19)
George Marsh (20)
Jack Roles (20)
Dylan Duncan (20)
Shayon Harrison (21)

I think all these also finish in June??

De Bie, Jonathan
Dinzeyi, Jonathan Toko Lema
Hinds, Tariq Devontae Aaron
Reynolds, Jamie Joe

Tangana and Roles are the highest rated out of everyone on those lists, I believe.

I'd expect Marsh and Tangana's to get contracts. Both train with the first team and are both highly rated by Pochettino from what I've heard

Dinzeyi and Roles both seem to train with the first team too but both don't really seem to be favoured at all.

I love Poch but playing Roles and Parrott to avoid U23 relegation and then bringing on 2 defenders with minutes to go to try to get a goal in an ECL semi does not compute.

Still no contract offer for Roles. Fully expect him to leave. Fully expect another PL club to snap him up (unless he chooses to go to Germany or The Netherlands).
I've always held a belief that perhaps we are managing him, by that maybe he is the type of player that is best motivated (better performances) if told that he has to do more if he is to succeed and that we are telling him, we expect more from him and that he must do better, a process of tough love (or no love), turn our backs on him only for him to perform better in an effort to prove people wrong.

This one is truly baffling if we don't offer him a contract. For me, he displays everything that I thought Poch demands from a footballer (I'm talking solely on what I see when he plays football, I don't know what he's like in training or what his personality is). I'm not even going to talk about the number of goals he scores, that's too one dimensional. When I watch him play, I see a very hard working, industrious footballer. His work rate off the ball is relentless.

To balance things up, he's not as technically gifted as you might want from a player to push into a team at the top of the PL but to counter this just take a look at his performance against Barca when we played them off the park at their place. He was as good as any in that game.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.
What is the normal length of "pro contracts?" 1 year?

first pro contract is often one year, but those who look exceptionally good might get up to 3 years.

For a Second contract it's most likely to be 3 or 5 years depending upon how the club rate you at that time. But obviously not all players get a 2nd contract.

Worth saying that a player who progresses faster than expected during a pro contract might get a new contract at any time ,- even as soon as say 6 months after the last contract. As a general rule the club does reward young players with new contracts with wage increases to mirror progress on he pitch.

Tangana and Roles are the highest rated out of everyone on those lists, I believe.

I'd expect Marsh and Tangana's to get contracts. Both train with the first team and are both highly rated by Pochettino from what I've heard

Dinzeyi and Roles both seem to train with the first team too but both don't really seem to be favoured at all.
Hinds RB/LB as well - but if KWP is not getting game time Hinds would also struggle to make an impact ?

Austin is also highly regarded but with Whiteman ( who is same age) I am not sure how we deal with 2 young goalkeepers unless we send one out on loan. De Bie has always done well but with 2 older goalkeepers is not going to succeed so maybe a loan for him too?

I've always held a belief that perhaps we are managing him, by that maybe he is the type of player that is best motivated (better performances) if told that he has to do more if he is to succeed and that we are telling him, we expect more from him and that he must do better, a process of tough love (or no love), turn our backs on him only for him to perform better in an effort to prove people wrong.

This one is truly baffling if we don't offer him a contract. For me, he displays everything that I thought Poch demands from a footballer (I'm talking solely on what I see when he plays football, I don't know what he's like in training or what his personality is). I'm not even going to talk about the number of goals he scores, that's too one dimensional. When I watch him play, I see a very hard working, industrious footballer. His work rate off the ball is relentless.

To balance things up, he's not as technically gifted as you might want from a player to push into a team at the top of the PL but to counter this just take a look at his performance against Barca when we played them off the park at their place. He was as good as any in that game.

And to add further counter to this, it's not as if technical deficiencies stop Poch from selecting other senior players.

And to add further counter to this, it's not as if technical deficiencies stop Poch from selecting other senior players.
I say it now, Roles isn't challenging anyone in the first team right now (not those that are at Hotspur Way, I'm not including Jansen).

McDermot has a role in this too, I'm guessing but probably bigger?? The lad is still under his tutelage. He and Poch are by all accounts very tight and on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom