Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is no way he'll stay with us past the summer. 0 chance, imv. Take a pay-cut and reset his career - any sane player at his age would do that
I see where you are coming from but at the same time weirder things have happened. I could see a lowkey extension (maybe a year so he's here until 2021) and then a move away on a loan to start.

But yeah, after Sissoko and Rose won Poch over I don't rule anything out. Janssen was apparently in a bad place when he and Poch had their falling out so who knows.

Hands up any other football romantics who thought he'd score the winner on Tuesday when he came on...?

anyone,....?

no....?

...just me then!

What price a start/goal on Saturday??

giphy.gif

If we've learnt anything this season it's don't write people off who try. Look at Sissoko, I really thought he was useless. I now think he does a sterling job. Vinny seems to put similar effort in, it's this extra effort that can force the opposition to make mistakes and lead to a goal but also get he crowd behind the team. I hope vinny saw the love Sissoko got from the fans, player and manager after the City game. He too can have the same if he works hard. I just hope there is enough time for him to come good

Sorry to be brutal about this, but he had a chance and he fluffed it. We all desperately 'wish' him to do well, but deep down we all know 'No chance'.

He's an old-style battering ram No 9 and his sole purpose it to a) score goals, b) assist others to score c) act as an outlet when we need to clear our defence.

Putting 'effort' in doesn't appear on a PL player's job description as it's a given.

We can't sustain another season of him (just like it was apparent fairly early on with Soldado that he'd never cut it. There was no shortage of love from the fans for him either.)

Cut our losses and let Janssen go. Mitrovic anyone?

Sorry to be brutal about this, but he had a chance and he fluffed it. We all desperately 'wish' him to do well, but deep down we all know 'No chance'.

He's an old-style battering ram No 9 and his sole purpose it to a) score goals, b) assist others to score c) act as an outlet when we need to clear our defence.

Putting 'effort' in doesn't appear on a PL player's job description as it's a given.

We can't sustain another season of him (just like it was apparent fairly early on with Soldado that he'd never cut it. There was no shortage of love from the fans for him either.)

Cut our losses ... we only paid 20m in today's mad world we'd probably make a profit ... it's that cost to replace that matters.

Vincent is 25 and has only played 91 top level games he has 34 goals and 8 assists ... he's made just 7 EPL starts with 2 goals and 2 assists ... firstly 7 games is hardly a decent chance, and 2 goals 2 assists it's hardly a disaster. His failure has been as a substitute, but then with no game time Llorente has at times looked pretty crap as well, and he's a world cup winner. By all accounts Vincent's biggest issues have been off-field, if that's now been sorted why not give him another go?

Sure we could buy Mitrovic he's a similar age has 34 EPL starts with 11 goals and 3 assists but he will cost well over 30m and want well over 100k a week ... we made a bid in January so it is very possible.

On the other hand Vincent for us is free, he will probably settle for half the salary of Mitrovic and has at least a little bit of Spurs DNA ...

Keep him and put the 30m it would cost to replace him towards a new midfield player, it's not as if we are short of attacking players.

I'd give him the start on Saturday, give him an hour or so.

Lucas and Llorente should have a rest be rested for the upcoming CL match.

Spurs fans are unbelievable for romanticising how good a player was/is when they're coming back from a long absence. The way people are talking you'd swear Janssen was the second coming of R9! Similarly when Lamela comes back from his usual lay off it's like Messi is being restored to the team.

I wanted nothing more than for Vincent to succeed but the guy is just dreadful, completely out of his depth and the skill set he does possess is totally unsuited to the Premier League. Poch spoke about him in his press conference after Brighton and I've never seen him being so uninspired when talking about a player, literally all but said he's only on the bench because he's got no other choice.

Seeing how the Goons treat their players actually makes me more proud to be a Spurs fan. Vinny makes a tackle or a good run and we cheer him, if he scores we raise the roof. When he leaves, which I think he will, we will, like with,Bobby Soldado look back in sorrow not anger. Class v entitlement

'Effort' should appear on more player's job descriptions as it's clear some players give more than others. It's why Sissoko for all his faults is applauded by his peers and fans and how he managed to survive his turbulent beginning, it's nothing short of a miracle!

Soldado wasn't a case of not cutting it but us playing a style that didn't suit his attributes. He needed the quick crosses and breaks but we were to laboured in our build-up.

Janssen for most of his 'Tottenham appearances' has been a bit part, a 89min sub. That will hardly give someone confidence... sure he had one or two starts but players need more than that.

He might not be good enough, Poch will decide but there are no sure things out there. Look at Sanchez at Man U, not a patch on the player he was at Woolwich. It's all a massive gamble but if Vinny knows the team, is now integrated, understands the system (sometimes takes a season to get) why not stick with him and save the money for someone else?

Sure he might go onto flop, so might another signing... difficult one to call TBH but I don't think it's as black and white as you put it.

I don't think anything can change Poch's mind about Janssen being out the door this summer, but it was a relief to see him come off the bench on Tuesday if only to show that the gaffer isn't so stubborn as to neglect using the warm body in attack who is available in the middle of this injury crisis.

As others have suggested, Saturday would be a smart time to give big dick Vince a start so that Llorente (who really has to start against Ajax due to Sonny's suspension) doesn't run himself into the ground beforehand.

Soldado wasn't a case of not cutting it but us playing a style that didn't suit his attributes. He needed the quick crosses and breaks but we were to laboured in our build-up.

I think Soldado fitted our playing style more than Janssen. Our possession-based strategy would work better for him as opposed to lumping the ball into the box for Janssen to get on the end of.

I can't see him starting this weekend (Dele or Moura as false 9). Ideally the time to start him was against a Brighton team that had one eye on Newcastle this coming weekend. Maybe 15 minutes at the end - to end Jack's season?

Well we can all agree to disagree on Janssen's merits (or otherwise). It's the managers opinion that counts.

For me, I've seen enough.

We joke about him being overweight but they show him in just the undershirt in the recent backstage video from the Brighton game and the guy is indeed big, but it seems to mainly be muscle these days.

Henchman Vincent Janssen.

I can't wait for the next person to suggest he could score v Ajax or in the CL final, despite not being named in our CL squad.

These posts have been so enjoyable to read over the last few pages

:levystare:

Was thinking the same thing. Came in to request a change/addition to the thread title - Vincent Janssen (Not available to be selected for Champions League Matches).

I can't wait for the next person to suggest he could score v Ajax or in the CL final, despite not being named in our CL squad.

These posts have been so enjoyable to read over the last few pages

:levystare:

Kinda reminds me....

If Arse finish 5th and win EL... Do we have to get 3rd? :gallashmm:

Back
Top Bottom