Tottenham Vs Brighton - Tues 23rd April 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's quite easily the worst footballer in our starting eleven each week now. Zero debate.

Such an awful footballer with zero signs of improvement in him. Fuck him off in the summer back to the Championship and just find a new right back. Anywhere.
giphy.gif

What utter bollocks.

What most people acknowledge is that he's just a very, very good footballer who's regularly produced - and has this season despite playing a deeper role for much of it. He's got one less assist than Messi FFS, who is one of only three players (Hazard, Sancho, Messi) who have one more than him in the whole of Europe. He creates more chances than anyone at our club (double that of Alli, Son, Lamela, Kane, Sissoko, Moura) whilst still getting through more ball than all our midfielders/AM's and forwards bar Winks (by 1 pass per game).

We all know he's not perfect, he'snot a trojan defensively, he's not going to dribble past many, and there's always been wastage with his creativity - but take out Messi and tell me how many players in Europe right now who does what he does - plays the way he does - produces the goals/assists/key passes/passes he does that don't also have flaws or that would be an upgrade on him?

The bloke's contributed 62 goals and assists (league only) in the last three seasons for fuck sake. I'll take those stats over your bollocks opinion any day.

Ooh cool stats bro!

I would've thought that someone who spends as much time dissecting football as you do would understand that Eriksen has been playing a role whereby he's pretty much the sole central link between the defence and the attack. As a result, of course he's going to see a shit load of the ball. As a result, of course he's going to be playing a shit load of passes, especially when the majority of his go 2 yards sideways these days. As a result, of course he's going to end up with a load of assists when we have players such as Lucas, Kane and Son, all of whom are capable of picking up the ball 25 yards out and putting it in the back of the net.

My point has always been that any player that plays as our creative midfielder with nobody to challenge him for his place should be smashing the assists/key passes/passes stats, shouldn't he? Yesterday for example, Llorente/Moura/Son/Alli/Rose/Trippier are all camped in or on the edge of the Brighton box. Who are Wanyama/Verts/Toby going to look for when they have the ball 25-30 yards out? Obviously it's going to be Eriksen because Brighton are playing 2 banks of 5 basically in their area. So when you give a creative midfielder that much space, which Brighton did, shouldn't he be absolutely blowing everyone else out of the water stats wise?

This is why you can stick your stats up your arse. As I said previously, almost anything can be proven with stats. For me, Brighton giving Eriksen 100 chances to do something and me seeing 1 productive pass/shot all match is enough to form my opinion. You telling me he made more passes than anyone else when he plays in a role that is going to make the most passes tells me you're just a fucking idiot that only cares about using stats to suit your agenda.

Next up on BC's stats show - Sissoko made fewer passes than any player on the pitch last night.

Ooh cool stats bro!

I would've thought that someone who spends as much time dissecting football as you do would understand that Eriksen has been playing a role whereby he's pretty much the sole central link between the defence and the attack. As a result, of course he's going to see a shit load of the ball. As a result, of course he's going to be playing a shit load of passes, especially when the majority of his go 2 yards sideways these days. As a result, of course he's going to end up with a load of assists when we have players such as Lucas, Kane and Son, all of whom are capable of picking up the ball 25 yards out and putting it in the back of the net.

My point has always been that any player that plays as our creative midfielder with nobody to challenge him for his place should be smashing the assists/key passes/passes stats, shouldn't he? Yesterday for example, Llorente/Moura/Son/Alli/Rose/Trippier are all camped in or on the edge of the Brighton box. Who are Wanyama/Verts/Toby going to look for when they have the ball 25-30 yards out? Obviously it's going to be Eriksen because Brighton are playing 2 banks of 5 basically in their area. So when you give a creative midfielder that much space, which Brighton did, shouldn't he be absolutely blowing everyone else out of the water stats wise?

This is why you can stick your stats up your arse. As I said previously, almost anything can be proven with stats. For me, Brighton giving Eriksen 100 chances to do something and me seeing 1 productive pass/shot all match is enough to form my opinion. You telling me he made more passes than anyone else when he plays in a role that is going to make the most passes tells me you're just a fucking idiot that only cares about using stats to suit your agenda.

Next up on BC's stats show - Sissoko made fewer passes than any player on the pitch last night.
excellent post,stats are a load of bollocks

Eriksen is the one player we have who can see a pass but he also needs the players to move, last night there was limited running beyond their defence, so its hard to find the assist pass, they defended in depth so there was no space/little space to find a gap to run into, on the time when Brighton attacked as we got the ball back we needed to play it forward quickly but with Llorente as main man we lack the pace, so we pass pass pass and they get back their defensive positions

Brighton are just terrible. At least Cardiff have a go. If Brighton are so terrified to even bother to get out of their own half how do they expect to survive. It's almost a free game when they play the top 6 so just have a go and you never know... I thought they were pathetic. Just stay in the championship if u have no interest in actually playing a game..

excellent post,stats are a load of bollocks
stats can show you things, but they are not simple, we put in XX crosses last night but we had 1 sometimes 2 attackers against 5 defenders so the crossing stat proves what ? Possession around the halfway line can be holding on to the ball, or it could be waiting to create space beyond their defence

Brighton are just terrible. At least Cardiff have a go. If Brighton are so terrified to even bother to get out of their own half how do they expect to survive. It's almost a free game when they play the top 6 so just have a go and you never know... I thought they were pathetic. Just stay in the championship if u have no interest in actually playing a game..
no their not terrible they lie many teams will defend and hope to be 0-0 or 1-0 down going into the last 10 mins then hope to get a breakaway and nick the game or at least keep 0-0, down to us to have the ideas to break them down and get 2 goals early that then causes them probelms 1-0 is not enough as there game plan is still ok no point chasing the game until last 1o mins

Thoroughly enjoyable day. Got there early so we could have a good look round. We went up to our seats in north stand and my first view of the pitch took my breath away...........what Spurs have built has to be seen, pictures do not do it justice. Had a walk round to the south stand, lot busier but my grin was just as big!

As for the match, Brighton came for a point and nearly succeeded, too many of our players had an off night, llorente did not work their centre backs hard enough, eriksens goal was a relief, thought rose was man of the match.

for me the problem with these teams is the time wasting from the first min of the game, ref's just let them get away with it, last night their goalie took 20+ sec's at every goalkick, 10-15 seconds is ok but 25-30 come on Ref get that stopped, we lost 2-3 mins each half because of that

Mindblown is just an emotional lad that gets easily frustrated and last night was just one od those frustrating nights. What's wrong with being a little bit expressive?

Why didn't you quote my goal celebration posts??

Cos I think it's massively hypocritical for people like you to celebrate the team's successes after dishing out abuse all game. You spent the match slagging off the team and, to top it off, you just referred to yourself in the third person. That should be an automatic red card! :)

Back
Top Bottom