Tottenham Vs Brighton - Tues 23rd April 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Still triggered vegan soy-boy? This is the Spurs section - stick to Trump jokes and computer games - the real summit of your limited intellect
giphy.gif

Can’t be arsed to read this thread. I’ll assume it’s just like all the other match threads when we’re not 9-0 up after 20 minutes. People have no faith in this team and I find that irritating. Just watch the whole match before submitting your half-baked opinions.

Relief.

I live in Sussex so have a soft spot for Brighton, but after that I hope they go down. I’ve got zero time for teams playing like that. If that’s how u have to play to survive in the Prem then you shouldn’t be in it imo.

Commentary praising their defending and saying the deserved a point. Bollocks to that. Any team could stick 11 men in the box, throw bodies at everything and time waste. They got exactly what they deserved.

And as for us. We really need to start scoring first half goals. Not clinicle or decisive enough in these types of games. Slow build up and devoid of imagination.

If we ever want to win the league we have to start putting teams to the sword early doors instead of giving them something to hang on to all game.

Apologies for a pretty negative assessment. I’m pleased sigh the result, obviously, but that was horrible to watch and all to predictable.

No 'hate' from me ... what did we expect? Brighton to play three up front and leave our front three to play on- on-one against their defence? how do you think that would that have ended up?

Sure they got the zero points they deserved, but they came bloody close to stealing one by parking-the-bus. Just like Burnley last night they did the only thing they could to try and get a point, not pretty to watch but then it's our job to beat that tactic not theirs to make it easy, and thank Christ we did ......

Well I wasn’t go to say it.....personally I think he was decent in patches, made some great passes some really really shit passes, and without the goal would have been an average performance.

But the goal was his true level, and that’s what I want from him. Not just scoring last minute winners, but daring to be audacious and actually pulling it off.
Too timid for most of the game, but glad he just let loose.

I’ll start by saying obviously a great goal, however...

If there were ever a game for a Eriksen this was it. Brighton pretty much played 2 banks of 5 on the edge and inside their box which allowed Eriksen a ridiculous amount of time and space 20-30 yards out. For our deeper lying creative player this should’ve been the perfect opportunity to put in great crosses but from a creativity perspective we weren’t going to score in a million years. 80% of the time he just lays it 2 yards sideways to Wanyama, 15% of the time he hits it straight to a Brighton player and 5% of the time there’s something a bit more useful.

People can throw all of the stats at the situation they like but for me if your creative midfielder who has been assigned the role of creating chances isn’t topping the stats then something is wrong. Stats can be presented in a way to prove almost anything; for example, there was some stat recently about Hugo being the top keeper in the league for one thing or another but if you’d had asked most Spurs fans after the Liverpool game if he was world class you know what answer you would’ve got. In the same way, one goal from Eriksen tonight doesn’t make him world class again. You’ve gotta laugh at how people think tonight proves everyone that’s ever doubted him wrong as well. The average football fan is fickle beyond belief. You’re allowed to have valid criticisms that still hold true even when a player scores one goal.

You’ve also gotta love football commentators. Alan Smith describing him as one of our most consistent performers! I’ve heard similar things on streams as well when they say it’s most unlike him not to beat the first man or put in a good delivery.

Nobody has ever doubted Eriksen’s ability and I think his superb ability is why some people get so frustrated with how poor he has been with the ball this season relative to the rest of his Tottenham career. I still think he’s massively overrated by our fan base though. I’ve lost count of the number of times this season that he’s allowed the opposition to have a dangerous attack because he has no conviction defensively. Man City last week? Burnley away? Just to name a couple. The Madrid fans don’t even like Bale and he’s a much better player than Eriksen. God help him if he goes there. I reckon he’s going to stay at Spurs though because it’s easy for him here. Everyone thinks he’s a genius and he doesn’t need to do too much to prove otherwise. Very similar to why Ozil stayed at Woolwich - no pressure from the fans. One bit of magic every 6 games and you’re world class.

Can’t be arsed to read this thread. I’ll assume it’s just like all the other match threads when we’re not 9-0 up after 20 minutes. People have no faith in this team and I find that irritating. Just watch the whole match before submitting your half-baked opinions.
Nailed it! There are some real fuckers posting on here today

Sat in the posh seats tonight for the first time in about 10 years. Honestly thought we played alright, some serious melting going on. Yeah the goal was late but we completely dominated, think a few need to wind their necks in on here

Be a pretty crap match thread in the case. Might aswell make it after the game

Brighton will always play defensively, but the problem is they didn't show any attacking threat. ANYYYY
That's just shite tactics, I'm sorry.

Perfectly predictable tactics. If we were fourth from bottom and scrambling for points to stay up, we'd do exactly the same thing.

Their intent was to take a point tonight. Their 'must-win' game in versus Newcastle at the weekend.Ours was tonight.

All they did was say 'come and break us down'. Something we weren't very good at until Eriksen's piece of class at the end. The rest of his performance (like most of the rest of the team) was average at best.

Very rarely on here during the game, it's odd. I once had to call out a cunt at Wembley.... Half of the posters here are worse

I’ll start by saying obviously a great goal, however...

If there were ever a game for a Eriksen this was it. Brighton pretty much played 2 banks of 5 on the edge and inside their box which allowed Eriksen a ridiculous amount of time and space 20-30 yards out. For our deeper lying creative player this should’ve been the perfect opportunity to put in great crosses but from a creativity perspective we weren’t going to score in a million years. 80% of the time he just lays it 2 yards sideways to Wanyama, 15% of the time he hits it straight to a Brighton player and 5% of the time there’s something a bit more useful.

People can throw all of the stats at the situation they like but for me if your creative midfielder who has been assigned the role of creating chances isn’t topping the stats then something is wrong. Stats can be presented in a way to prove almost anything; for example, there was some stat recently about Hugo being the top keeper in the league for one thing or another but if you’d had asked most Spurs fans after the Liverpool game if he was world class you know what answer you would’ve got. In the same way, one goal from Eriksen tonight doesn’t make him world class again. You’ve gotta laugh at how people think tonight proves everyone that’s ever doubted him wrong as well. The average football fan is fickle beyond belief. You’re allowed to have valid criticisms that still hold true even when a player scores one goal.

You’ve also gotta love football commentators. Alan Smith describing him as one of our most consistent performers! I’ve heard similar things on streams as well when they say it’s most unlike him not to beat the first man or put in a good delivery.

Nobody has ever doubted Eriksen’s ability and I think his superb ability is why some people get so frustrated with how poor he has been with the ball this season relative to the rest of his Tottenham career. I still think he’s massively overrated by our fan base though. I’ve lost count of the number of times this season that he’s allowed the opposition to have a dangerous attack because he has no conviction defensively. Man City last week? Burnley away? Just to name a couple. The Madrid fans don’t even like Bale and he’s a much better player than Eriksen. God help him if he goes there. I reckon he’s going to stay at Spurs though because it’s easy for him here. Everyone thinks he’s a genius and he doesn’t need to do too much to prove otherwise. Very similar to why Ozil stayed at Woolwich - no pressure from the fans. One bit of magic every 6 games and you’re world class.

What utter bollocks.

What most people acknowledge is that he's just a very, very good footballer who's regularly produced - and has this season despite playing a deeper role for much of it. He's got one less assist than Messi FFS, who is one of only three players (Hazard, Sancho, Messi) who have one more than him in the whole of Europe. He creates more chances than anyone at our club (double that of Alli, Son, Lamela, Kane, Sissoko, Moura) whilst still getting through more ball than all our midfielders/AM's and forwards bar Winks (by 1 pass per game).

We all know he's not perfect, he'snot a trojan defensively, he's not going to dribble past many, and there's always been wastage with his creativity - but take out Messi and tell me how many players in Europe right now who does what he does - plays the way he does - produces the goals/assists/key passes/passes he does that don't also have flaws or that would be an upgrade on him?

The bloke's contributed 62 goals and assists (league only) in the last three seasons for fuck sake. I'll take those stats over your bollocks opinion any day.

Back
Top Bottom