Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any bright spark know how the destruction of Man City impacts our coefficient and potential seeding if we qualify for next year?
It helps long-term, but for next year it makes little difference on its own - we need to beat Ajax over the two legs to actually overtake somebody (Man United, who probably won't qualify anyway making it irrelevent), and either beat them in both legs or win the whole tournament to overtake anybody else (Napoli and Shakhtar Donetsk). Failing that, we'll be marginal between Pot 2 and Pot 3, and it'll depend mainly on how many teams above us fail to qualify. If we did overtake Napoli and Shakhtar there's a 90%+ chance we'd be in Pot 2, unless we win the tournament in which case we're automatically in Pot 1.

As for the impact, it is pretty substantial, but you can still be in Pot 3 and get a lucky draw (like we did in our first season back when we got CSKA/Moncao/Leverkusen) or in Pot 2 and get an unlucky one (like this season where we got Inter Milan, who were in Pot 4 as they'd not qualified in ages despite now being pretty good again). On average though, it's the difference between drawing a team such as Dortmund or Liverpool and drawing a team such as Roma or Basel, alongside the team you'll get from Pot 1 and Pot 4 either way.

He’s such a wanker

Surprised he can even type after Lamela nearly killed him by stepping on his hands.

HairyLankyAurochs-size_restricted.gif

They're shook.
:allitongue::sonpoint:

What a stupid question anyway. Of course any fan, given the choice between a guaranteed win vs a guaranteed loss, would prefer to win the EL. And since it also gets you in the CL the following season it is a no brainer.

If he wasn’t a complete dullard he would have framed the question as whether you would take a guaranteed EL trophy or a chance to play in the CL final.

And Maradona won 2 world cups with teams many would say were not as good as some of those Messi has played in.

Messi as best ever club player in my time I would say is one I might lose the fight on.

Best ever, without a Copa America or a World Cup winners' medal no chance.

or played for a team who were nowhere and led them to a title in a better league
At the risk of causing another war!

di Stefano
Puskas
Pele
Beckenbauer
Cruyff
Best
Maradona
Messi
Ronaldo (both)

The list goes on... Bergkamp (as much as it hurts), Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, me (in my dreams!)
Garrincha was better than Pele... you left out hoddle gascoigne

Garrincha was better than Pele... you left out hoddle gascoigne

Sorry, you're wrong. Pele is (and always has been) the greatest ever.

Garrincha had a great left foot ... and that's about it

As much as it hurts, Hoddle and Gascoigne would barely scrape into the top 50.

I'm heading for the hills!

A point today please.

ffs, so your opinion is the only opinion that counts?

Which team do you support btw?

:sonhmm:

Err.. it's a forum. It's all about opinions!

I refuse to answer the stupid second question!

I think you should lighten up! Any poll about 'best player ever' will attract wildly different opinions. Yours, relating to Hoddle and Gascoigne is one. Mine is another.

In my opinion, Pele was the best ever.

However, I have no intention of starting another war (as I said in my original post).

Sorry, you're wrong. Pele is (and always has been) the greatest ever.

Garrincha had a great left foot ... and that's about it

As much as it hurts, Hoddle and Gascoigne would barely scrape into the top 50.

I'm heading for the hills!

A point today please.
When Brazilian players say that Garrincha was the GOAT, that's good enough for me.

Click the link to go to the entire thread.

Yep, we have earned a shitload more money this year but boy have we been fucked by this new coefficient, Utd the bastards racking it in because they are Utd!!!

Whilst the switch to a 10 year coefficient has hurt us there is a longer term upside ... the points from 08/09 - 12/13 have been added very obviously greatly benefiting the 'old guard'

Utd - plus 114 (23 per year average)
Chelsea - plus 109 (22 per year average)
Woolwich - Plus 97 (20 per year average)
Liverpool - Plus 62 (12 per year average)
City - Plus 54 (11 per year average)
Spurs - Plus 53 (11 per year average)

However over the next five years these clubs will have to match these points totals or drop backwards ... the clubs defending the least points ie: Us, City and Liverpool can move up the rankings but for Utd, Chelsea and Woolwich it is almost a requirement to reach the EL final, or CL quarter final, every year for the next five years just to stand still.

That's of course assuming UEFA don't find another scam to protect the 'old guard'

The addition of the 'previous years league finish' was also aimed at protecting the 'old guard' with the Title winners getting 40%, second place 30%, third 20%, and 4th 10% of the TV Pool. That unsurprisingly has worked very well for PSG, Barca, Bayern and Juventus who are pretty much guaranteed 1st or at worst 2nd but less so for Utd and Woolwich who have dropped out of the top two positions ....

FYI this year so far -

Utd - 19 (Lost)
Chelsea - 25
Woolwich - 21
Liverpool - 24
City - 25 (Lost)
Spurs - 23

Still up for grabs in both CL and EL - 2 points per win, 1 per draw, plus a bonus 1 for reaching the Final.

Last edited:
Click the link to go to the entire thread.

Yep, we have earned a shitload more money this year but boy have we been fucked by this new coefficient, Utd the bastards racking it in because they are Utd!!!

That 10 year coefficient payment is an absolute load of horseshit. UEFA seem to have brought that in very quietly indeed. Great idea lads, pay teams extra money purely because they've done well historically. Talk about pulling the drawbridge up behind you! Yet another way the biggest clubs in Europe consolidate their position and make it even harder for any other teams to break into that elite club.

So the bottom line is that we're already on €86M... €102M if we make the final and €106M if we win the whole fucking lot...

Whilst the switch to a 10 year coefficient has hurt us there is a longer term upside ... the points from 08/09 - 12/13 have been added very obviously greatly benefiting the 'old guard'

Utd - plus 114 (23 per year average)
Chelsea - plus 109 (22 per year average)
Woolwich - Plus 97 (20 per year average)
Liverpool - Plus 62 (12 per year average)
City - Plus 54 (11 per year average)
Spurs - Plus 53 (11 per year average)

However over the next five years these clubs will have to match these points totals or drop backwards ... the clubs defending the least points ie: Us, City and Liverpool can move up the rankings but for Utd, Chelsea and Woolwich it is almost a requirement to reach the EL final, or CL quarter final, every year for the next five years just to stand still.

That's of course assuming UEFA don't find another scam to protect the 'old guard'

The addition of the 'previous years league finish' was also aimed at protecting the 'old guard' with the Title winners getting 40%, second place 30%, third 20%, and 4th 10% of the TV Pool. That unsurprisingly has worked very well for PSG, Barca, Bayern and Juventus who are pretty much guaranteed 1st or at worst 2nd but less so for Utd and Woolwich who have dropped out of the top two positions ....

FYI this year so far -

Utd - 19 (Lost)
Chelsea - 25
Woolwich - 21
Liverpool - 24
City - 25 (Lost)
Spurs - 23

Still up for grabs in both CL and EL - 2 points per win, 1 per draw, plus a bonus 1 for reaching the Final.

Only small crumb of comfort is that I would guess that next year this seasons run will be included and our one 10 years ago will drop out which will put us up the ranking table by 6 places. Same next season assuming we quality.

But it really is a nonsense to keep rewarding Manu, Woolwich et Al for achievements 10 years ago for which they got a hefty payment from UEFA at the time. So why pay them a 2nd time for the same thing.

Last edited:
Only small crumb of comfort is that I would guess that next year this seasons run will be included and our one 10 years ago will drop out which will put us up the ranking table by 6 places. Same next season assuming we quality.

But it really is a nonsense to keep rewarding Manu, Woolwich et Al for achievements 10 years ago for which they got a hefty payment from Urfa at the time. So why pay them a 2nd time for the same thing.

It's a ridiculous system that rewards nothing but your past. All of the teams trying to implement a strategy to move up the ladder are at a disadvantage because of something a team did ten years ago? That's ridiculous & yet another thing for them to overcome whilst trying to make a name for themselves. On the plus side, with us making the semi finals & being in Europe for a decade straight now, surely we will be rising up these rankings sooner rather than later. It doesn't make it right but when has there ever been anything or anyone high up in power that has acted right and fairly?

It's a joke rule but we all know why it was implemented.

Back
Top Bottom