Where does this Rank CL Semi

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some of you older guys have seen the glory but for anyone under the age of 40 have we seen anything better than this that we can actually remember ? I've seen us win two league cups what was great but nowhere near as good as last night and an FA cup in 91 when the cup was still revered which was epic , Last night was so dramatic and incredible and in the biggest competition that it simply has to be right up there in our greatest nights.

Some of you older guys have seen the glory but for anyone under the age of 40 have we seen anything better than this that we can actually remember ? I've seen us win two league cups what was great but nowhere near as good as last night and an FA cup in 91 when the cup was still revered which was epic , Last night was so dramatic and incredible and in the biggest competition that it simply has to be right up there in our greatest nights and best achievements.

It’s possibly the best win outside of winning a final/trophy.
We were down to bare bones against a side that have spent 120 squillion on players and had another 80 squillion on the bench.
Mental mental night and as a club we have taken a massive step..

Relegating the c word in 75 (on and off the pitch) was superb with 51,000 baying Tottenham fans at a deafening White Hart Lane. The AC Milan semi in 72 when Stevie P got a brace, smashing Liverpool in the league cup 73, Wolves in the semi 81, the friendly v PSV in Holland in 1980 for reminding the football world that we are an enormous club are a few that spring to mind. Last night is right up there Bill for loads of reasons not least that we have been vindicated as a proper force in English football despite the haters and doubters. Audere est Facere.

For me....it’s the best I’ve ever seen.

There’s something about Champions League anyway, the music, the history, the drama...and to top off with a candidate for one of the most entertaining games ever played.

Neutrals, even spammers and goons applauding it. Even if we go on to win CL and PL titles, I just can’t envisage a more rollercoaster of emotions in 90min. Unreal.

I actually felt my heart struggling to beat properly. Amazing what about 10 rounds of adrenaline can do

Crouchy header in 2010 at City to clinch CL football for the first time ever was very special in our recent history

It was a top 4 decider , winner takes all. Magic night

Where to start
Beating Hull to set us up for the final day at the Dell in 78.
Semi replay against Wolves 81
Winning the final replay in 81(never thought i'd see us win anything)
UEFA cup 84
Semi final 91
Beating Inter Milan in 2010

For me....it’s the best I’ve ever seen.

There’s something about Champions League anyway, the music, the history, the drama...and to top off with a candidate for one of the most entertaining games ever played.

Neutrals, even spammers and goons applauding it. Even if we go on to win CL and PL titles, I just can’t envisage a more rollercoaster of emotions in 90 min. Unreal.

I actually felt my heart struggling to beat properly. Amazing what about 10 rounds of adrenaline can do

I've got pants older than the Champions League...
But I get what you're saying... in terms of the European Cup, Spurs as a club have never been remotely involved during its' 1970's & 1980's heydey... and wasn't alive to experience the 1962 Semi... but i'm sure it wasn't a patch on how we got there last night!

As far as the true definition of a 'rollercoaster' of emotions, it's hard to think of anything to touch it... though i'm sure the Liverpool/Newcastle 4-3 games in the mid-'90s had a bit of drama... but not with what was at stake (more so for Man City) last night!

To do it how we did, against all the odds, and not forgetting the all important £0.00 spent in the last 2 windows proved that sometimes, you don't necessarily need to throw money at it!

Prudence prevailed last night, and i'm SO glad that 'money' just didn't steamroller into oblivion a team that showed true heart, character, never-say-die attitude... passion, and MASSIVE FUCKING CAJONES!!!

I know everyone obsesses about top 4. But to me the greatest thing is to be in the final stages. Glory nights and all that. Given our injury situation, even if we miss out on top 4 it will still be a memorable season, combined with the new stadium of course. I may be in the minority but I’d prefer semis or better of the CL and 5th place than going out in the group stages that almost happened and finishing 4th.
Bringing in new players and possibly keeping Eriksen and Alderweireld are more down to money and Levy loosing the purse strings than finishing 4th rather than 5th.

I know everyone obsesses about top 4. But to me the greatest thing is to be in the final stages. Glory nights and all that. Given our injury situation, even if we miss out on top 4 it will still be a memorable season, combined with the new stadium of course. I may be in the minority but I’d prefer semis or better of the CL and 5th place than going out in the group stages that almost happened and finishing 4th.
Bringing in new players and possibly keeping Eriksen and Alderweireld are more down to money and Levy loosing the purse strings than finishing 4th rather than 5th.

Finishing 4th and getting CL means a lot more money = DL having a bigger budget for more players.

5th does not.

In terms of swelling pride in the club, this is up there, but I'd still have beating Chelsea in the League Cup Final, playing Real Madrid off the park at Wembley, and the *other* City away day won by a late goal lumped in by a big lummox referenced in my avatar higher on the list. Maybe Taxi for Maicon too.

But in terms of sheer tension and drama of the actual game, I've never seen anything like that, and I'm certain I'll be dead before the final whistle if anything ever surpasses it.

The UEFA win in 1984 was probably my best moment as a Spurs fan that I attended.

The pitch invasion after we got relegated made me proud to be Tottenham and I will never forget that until my dying day.

2008 was up there because of who we were playing

In terms of atmosphere, the 5-1 Semi win over Woolwich and 3-1 Inter at home were the best in recent times. And RM at Wembley.

The 4-3 away loss to Inter was brilliant because it was when Bale properly announced himself.

Last night was immense because it was the first time we have ever reached the CL semi. And in modern football, the CL is the be all and and all.

I was just a kid in 1991 so that match doesn't beat last night for me. It was our greatest win by a mile in my view, and the contrast between last night's game and the games of the mid to late 90s, the period after the turn of the millennium etc. Well it's just no contest. I will never forget last night, it was unadulterated glory, the whole points of being a fan.

Theres been some special nights and days most mentioned above..rickys final and the wafer cup finsl home and away to anderlecht will always come right to mind ,the whole year in the old 2nd division was just incredible not just for the football but running amok all over the country too..milwall away on boxing day and the hype that went with it..goons 5-1 at the lane more recently and crouchys night again at the ethiad..last night was special in its own way..its as if after all these years the giant that thfc and its never dying support really is has woken and the world of football has taken note.
My heart cant take much more but the beer hairwash last night was worth it .

Nothing else even comes close. As far as I am concerned, the only thing that will ever beat last night is winning the premier league or champions league.

I think of all the bullshit I've taken as a fan of this club (Being stripped of the champions league, Losing champions league place to Woolwich on the final day, the battle of Stamford Bridge, Blowing the title race at west ham, Juve last season) all of it was worth it for last night.

It wasn't just that it was a champions league quarter final. It wasn't just that it was against the best team in the world. It wasn't just that we had half the team, including our best player, injured. It wasn't just that the VAR call felt the same as a last minute winner. It wasn't just that we triumphed in a game that has already gone down as one of the greatest ever.

It's the fact that, when Aguero scored to put City 4-2 up, the team seemed to say to themselves 'This is not the end. We are not just going to be the footnote for another teams story again. This is ours' I don't think anyone outside this club believed that we would be able to come back after that goal. The narrative was written, like it always seems to be.

Football is chaotic. More than any other sport, the score doesn't reflect what happens on the pitch. That means tiny, random moments can have a huge effect. You can train as much as you can, you can get the best players. You can minimise the effect of randomness as much as possible. But you are still in sway to it.

Poch is right. Sometimes in football, you have to believe. In spite of all the things going against you, you just have to believe you will get the break. The media will call you bottlers. The opposition will call you bottlers. You can't change that. But what you can change is whether you belive it.

That result only happened because they didn't believe it. That is the real story.

Back
Top Bottom