Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Milner will be on the sames wages as Eriksen will want, they can spend £120 easy enough, it won't be funds for that stop it but our owner
It might be our owner mainly, but Liverpool aren't coming in for Eriksen. They can't afford to pay his wages, and that kind of transfer fee. They're a big club, but they're already spending more on wages than their competition, relative to turnover, and I doubt that they'll be able to cover that kind of fee and the wages he'd want. If he's stalling on signing for us, when clearly we're willing to pay him quite well, LFC would need to pay well over what we're offering.

They're not doing a Leeds, but they do have limitations, and the extra costs of getting Eriksen from us, vs another player from elsewhere in Europe probably mean that Eriksen is not their guy.

It might be our owner mainly, but Liverpool aren't coming in for Eriksen. They can't afford to pay his wages, and that kind of transfer fee. They're a big club, but they're already spending more on wages than their competition, relative to turnover, and I doubt that they'll be able to cover that kind of fee and the wages he'd want. If he's stalling on signing for us, when clearly we're willing to pay him quite well, LFC would need to pay well over what we're offering.

They're not doing a Leeds, but they do have limitations, and the extra costs of getting Eriksen from us, vs another player from elsewhere in Europe probably mean that Eriksen is not their guy.

Lfc already pay squad players what we pay our higher earners, move on Milner (120k) and moreno and there's your wages. They just announced record profits and have continued to get higher they are reducing the wage to turnover by increasing revenue not decreasing wages. They can afford £100m+ and wages, their turnover is growing not stagnent.

I don't think it will happen but if we would sell they can afford it.

Lfc already pay squad players what we pay our higher earners, move on Milner (120k) and moreno and there's your wages. They just announced record profits and have continued to get higher they are reducing the wage to turnover by increasing revenue not decreasing wages. They can afford £100m+ and wages, their turnover is growing not stagnent.

I don't think it will happen but if we would sell they can afford it.
I am not sure they can. There'll be a whole lot of players due raises at the end of this year, so it's not a case of holding wages steady, they haven't been doing that.

Also, LFC have been fairly smart about transfers. They're not going to sign a peak-year Eriksen for huge fee and wages instead of someone young from elsewhere and hoping they grow into that kind of player. The marginal cost of Eriksen vs. the available alternatives isn't something that makes sense for them.

In my opinion if the club's replacing two key first team players with decent Championship players then we're simply not going to challenge for the bigger things. We will never ever challenge for the title or Champions League with Championship prospects. This is a summer where we must spend considerably (or whatever it takes) to replace a few first 11 players. After this is sorted, then we can spend on Championship youngsters and help them develop if we need to.

I don't want Championship players to replace Eriksen. We are already thin in midfield, so I would like a "big name" midfield signing. I think we should ad decent prospects from the Championship, and let them fight for gametime so we could offload the likes of Janssen, N'Koudou, Lamela, Vorm and Aurier.

Wages to turnover 58% ? Not bad, I thought it was a lot more. Get rid of Lallana, Sturridge, Shaquiri and that should free up a further 300k - 400k a week minimum.

I am not sure they can. There'll be a whole lot of players due raises at the end of this year, so it's not a case of holding wages steady, they haven't been doing that.

Also, LFC have been fairly smart about transfers. They're not going to sign a peak-year Eriksen for huge fee and wages instead of someone young from elsewhere and hoping they grow into that kind of player. The marginal cost of Eriksen vs. the available alternatives isn't something that makes sense for them.
To reiterate I don't think they will go for Eriksen as we won't sell to them but regarding revenues they will be moving towards man u levels if they sustain a few years success.

This is only a rumour but the level they are looking at Liverpool 'in advanced talks' with Nike over huge new kit contract

I don't want Championship players to replace Eriksen. We are already thin in midfield, so I would like a "big name" midfield signing. I think we should ad decent prospects from the Championship, and let them fight for gametime so we could offload the likes of Janssen, N'Koudou, Lamela, Vorm and Aurier.
This. Any signings out of the championship would obviously be made to add depth to the squad and to be long term projects to develop. I don't think anyone is saying that we should only sign from the championship.

To reiterate I don't think they will go for Eriksen as we won't sell to them but regarding revenues they will be moving towards man u levels if they sustain a few years success.

This is only a rumour but the level they are looking at Liverpool 'in advanced talks' with Nike over huge new kit contract
I know that story. Moving towards MUFC levels is a bit of a stretch though. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't see that being the case.

Wages to turnover 58% ? Not bad, I thought it was a lot more. Get rid of Lallana, Sturridge, Shaquiri and that should free up a further 300k - 400k a week minimum.
Don't forget, bonus and raises for the current squad will be an issue, as results this year, especially if they actually win the title. It's not a static situation. Keeping Sala, Mane, and others will require they up their pay, which could swallow up that same 300-400k and then some.

I always thought Joachim Andersen would be the Toby replacement

Sanchez was Toby's replacement. (Or Foyth long term)

Whoever we sign for centre half next will be with Vertonghens departure in mind. Andersen can play left sided centre half so it's almost likely to be Vertonghens replacement.

Though I'm not going to lie - I quite like Ben Davies as a left sided centre back. Being 5 ft 9 is probably an issue though.

Don't forget, bonus and raises for the current squad will be an issue, as results this year, especially if they actually win the title. It's not a static situation. Keeping Sala, Mane, and others will require they up their pay, which could swallow up that same 300-400k and then some.

I think Salah fucks off in the summer; esp. if they don't win the league...

I think Salah fucks off in the summer; esp. if they don't win the league...
He might. The rumours where Zidane wanted Mane instead, but Real Madrid have seemed to want more Middle Eastern market share, so signing Salah would help with that. But if LFC want to keep him, they'll likely have to match Real Madrid money. So, I guess similar to what Alexis Sanchez got out of MUFC.

Sanchez was Toby's replacement. (Or Foyth long term)

Whoever we sign for centre half next will be with Vertonghens departure in mind. Andersen can play left sided centre half so it's almost likely to be Vertonghens replacement.

Though I'm not going to lie - I quite like Ben Davies as a left sided centre back. Being 5 ft 9 is probably an issue though.

Ben Davies is as tall as Nathan Ake. So my argument here would be - Ake not tall enough for our defence.

So tell me, makes you think that Championship players are better than Lamela, Aurier or Janssen?

Back
Top Bottom