Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing against George Marsh, who seems a terrific lad and always puts a shift in, but his inclusion today is further evidence that Poch is all about perceived ‘attitude’ which is much easier to display as a tenacious DM. In terms of ability, he's comfortably amongst the worst young pros we have IMO; his defining characteristic is that he's a bit of a hatchet man.

Could have included Roles, White or Bowden or even Markanday/Shashoua/Parrott.
Yet selects AND plays Skipp! Which kind of debunks your theory completely, unless of course you think Skipp is a hatchet man too.

The other names you mention do not play in Central Midfield, a position that he clearly felt needed to cover from the bench. It was great that Wanyama made 90 mins but when he went down in the first half it didn’t look like he was going to get back up.

Also, what’s not to say that he used Marsh’s selection as an example for others to follow. I’d say quite clearly that Poch wants his young players to conform completely to his ideals, failure to do so will not see you get far, certainty forget selection.

Yet selects AND plays Skipp! Which kind of debunks your theory completely, unless of course you think Skipp is a hatchet man too.

The other names you mention do not play in Central Midfield, a position that he clearly felt needed to cover from the bench. It was great that Wanyama made 90 mins but when he went down in the first half it didn’t look like he was going to get back up.

Also, what’s not to say that he used Marsh’s selection as an example for others to follow. I’d say quite clearly that Poch wants his young players to conform completely to his ideals, failure to do so will not see you get far, certainty forget selection.
I'd say Skipp's inclusion only adds weight to my theory - Poch seems to want to only promote busy, hard-working central midfielders. Fortunately Skipp is a far better footballer than Marsh.

Hope your third paragraph is the only expectation, but even in that I find it rather disappointing as it essentially means mercurial players will only ever be bought.

Spurs u23 away to Swansea at 19.00 on Monday.

A must win game as we are very close to relegation ( and would join Man U in the lower League)

As the next u18 game is 10 days away I would expect to see Parrott, Bennett Bowden White and if fit Cirkin and maybe other u 18 players in the u23 squad to add. More quality

COYS

I'd say Skipp's inclusion only adds weight to my theory - Poch seems to want to only promote busy, hard-working central midfielders. Fortunately Skipp is a far better footballer than Marsh.

Hope your third paragraph is the only expectation, but even in that I find it rather disappointing as it essentially means mercurial players will only ever be bought.
Skipp is clearly not only a busy, hard-working player, he's a baller and stood out as such in every academy game I ever saw him play and as a consequence got fast-tracked up ages groups and then deservedly into the first team.

I'm a huge fan of Roles but who the fuck is he seriously getting ahead of in the first team to warrant a place on the bench on Saturday? The point being tactically I just would have thought it would have been nieve given all the changes that were made and what actually is at stake for a top 4 spot this season. The risk was making 7 changes in what might have been a far more difficult game (WBA last year surely can't be forgotten). Marsh is a heads up footballer, a safe pair of hands and whilst he isn't a flamboyant player (hard to think of many players that are in CM) if called upon because of injury he would have the greater opportunity of being integrated into the side if called on more than any of the other players you mention.

Why the fuck would you play Markanday, if Lucas got injured when Son is on the bench?? What if we are chasing the game?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I doubt Parrott (who I think is of all our kids probably the next one ready to step up into the first team, despite his age, as his runs are highly intelligent ahead of his years IMO) would have played as well as Llorente, who I thought had a great game.

When you make seven changes to what is arguably your best 11 you seem to be expecting him to roll the dice even more by selecting another kid? I'd argue the best time to blood an academy player is when you have your best team playing, far easier for that individual to be integrated and looked after by those 'better" players on the pitch than introduce them into a game where we are already weakened.

KWP got slammed into the ground early in the 2nd half but he got up and played like a man afterwards. Great passing and great tackling.
He was not good up to that point and all season despite his "assists."
Hope this game is a turning point for him.
Next season he will not be a "U 21."

Skipp is clearly not only a busy, hard-working player, he's a baller and stood out as such in every academy game I ever saw him play and as a consequence got fast-tracked up ages groups and then deservedly into the first team.

I'm a huge fan of Roles but who the fuck is he seriously getting ahead of in the first team to warrant a place on the bench on Saturday? The point being tactically I just would have thought it would have been nieve given all the changes that were made and what actually is at stake for a top 4 spot this season. The risk was making 7 changes in what might have been a far more difficult game (WBA last year surely can't be forgotten). Marsh is a heads up footballer, a safe pair of hands and whilst he isn't a flamboyant player (hard to think of many players that are in CM) if called upon because of injury he would have the greater opportunity of being integrated into the side if called on more than any of the other players you mention.

Why the fuck would you play Markanday, if Lucas got injured when Son is on the bench?? What if we are chasing the game?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I doubt Parrott (who I think is of all our kids probably the next one ready to step up into the first team, despite his age, as his runs are highly intelligent ahead of his years IMO) would have played as well as Llorente, who I thought had a great game.

When you make seven changes to what is arguably your best 11 you seem to be expecting him to roll the dice even more by selecting another kid? I'd argue the best time to blood an academy player is when you have your best team playing, far easier for that individual to be integrated and looked after by those 'better" players on the pitch than introduce them into a game where we are already weakened.

I am delighted Skipp is getting more minutes as he is a DM who can play a bit too ( which is the concern with Marsh as he is a busy DM but no real passing ability). And am hoping to see him get more appearances and starts next season.

Of the attacking options Spurs have in youth Parrott and Bennett stand out as great prospects but based on experience they need more time in u23 and playing in men's foot ball before getting to first team - their time will come possibly next season.

But earlier this season when we had Kane and Dier out injured and Son away on international duty I would have encouraged Poch to involve Roles from the bench maybe just coming if for last 15 initially to save tired legs of the few fit attackers we had. Reason is that he has got some experience of playing men's football in 4 Checks trade trophy matches so he is physically able to play against men ( always a concern with youth) but more importantly has that knack of being in the right place at right time with decent ability to link with other players - even made a decent link with Jansen when he played 3 u,23 games at end January. Cannot guarantee he would be good but certainly worth a try....and then he could be no. 6 AM ( after Dele Son Moira Erikssen and Lamela - or 5 th with Lamela often injured.

And with Skipp as a DM on the bench on Saturday night have Been useful to have an extra AM on the bench in Roles rather than a 2nd DM in Marsh.

Btw I agree it's better to have youth come through with a strong team ... But this season with injuries it's been a question if bringing Skipp in as there was nobody else fit...so whilst it's better it's not fatal to do as we have done this season

I am delighted Skipp is getting more minutes as he is a DM who can play a bit too ( which is the concern with Marsh as he is a busy DM but no real passing ability). And am hoping to see him get more appearances and starts next season.

Of the attacking options Spurs have in youth Parrott and Bennett stand out as great prospects but based on experience they need more time in u23 and playing in men's foot ball before getting to first team - their time will come possibly next season.

But earlier this season when we had Kane and Dier out injured and Son away on international duty I would have encouraged Poch to involve Roles from the bench maybe just coming if for last 15 initially to save tired legs of the few fit attackers we had. Reason is that he has got some experience of playing men's football in 4 Checks trade trophy matches so he is physically able to play against men ( always a concern with youth) but more importantly has that knack of being in the right place at right time with decent ability to link with other players - even made a decent link with Jansen when he played 3 u,23 games at end January. Cannot guarantee he would be good but certainly worth a try....and then he could be no. 6 AM ( after Dele Son Moira Erikssen and Lamela - or 5 th with Lamela often injured.

And with Skipp as a DM on the bench on Saturday night have Been useful to have an extra AM on the bench in Roles rather than a 2nd DM in Marsh.

Btw I agree it's better to have youth come through with a strong team ... But this season with injuries it's been a question if bringing Skipp in as there was nobody else fit...so whilst it's better it's not fatal to do as we have done this season
I don’t disagree with any of that mate. My comments are completely made in the context of Saturday’s game however. A must win game where we made 7 changes and no way IMO would it had been the right thing to do and bring, “blood” a couple from the academy that we’re going to be any better than Llorente, Son or Lucas.

Where we were short on personal was in CM (Sissoko playing every game now), Wanyama held together with plasters, no Winks, no Dier. Marsh was the right player to have as cover on the bench because of this.

Everything we know is that Poch and McDermott are very close, I do get the feeling that the non-selection of some of those name checked is also in consultation with him (I think once promoted into first team like KWP, Skipp etc then the decision is Poch’s) but obviously 2nd guessing this part.

I personally can’t for the life of me see why Tripps plays ahead of KWP. I do agree Roles should have got himself into a match day squad this season, he would seem to be a Poch player too, without the ball he’s a relentless presser his energy is a real force.

I don’t disagree with any of that mate. My comments are completely made in the context of Saturday’s game however. A must win game where we made 7 changes and no way IMO would it had been the right thing to do and bring, “blood” a couple from the academy that we’re going to be any better than Llorente, Son or Lucas.

Where we were short on personal was in CM (Sissoko playing every game now), Wanyama held together with plasters, no Winks, no Dier. Marsh was the right player to have as cover on the bench because of this.

Everything we know is that Poch and McDermott are very close, I do get the feeling that the non-selection of some of those name checked is also in consultation with him (I think once promoted into first team like KWP, Skipp etc then the decision is Poch’s) but obviously 2nd guessing this part.

I personally can’t for the life of me see why Tripps plays ahead of KWP. I do agree Roles should have got himself into a match day squad this season, he would seem to be a Poch player too, without the ball he’s a relentless presser his energy is a real force.
Because Tripps, despite not having a 'great year' is a big game player and will rise to the occasion Wednesday!
(we hope)

Sam Sashoua seems to like playing in 3rd tier of Spanish football - he is a regular starte!r and scored again at the weekend. I think that is about his 5th goal and he has several assists in about 20 appearances ( the stats sources are a bit Unreliable ) which is not bad for a young AM on his first loan.

Difficult to assess his current abilities as the opposition and his fellow team mates vary between League 1 and non League standard as there are 80 .clubs of similar standing ,( 4 leagues of 20 clubs). He is small so breakthrough tends to be later ( 22 or 23). But he seems to have good body strength. to go along with good technique Wonder whether he will be involved in pre season or whether he will find another loan, preferably at a step higher up next season.

Spurs u 23 win 2 - 1 at Swansea (Parrott ,2 ). And with Wham drawing at Derby move away from relegation places. Still need to play Derby at home in last game of the season and at 2 points ahead of Wham need to better their result to be sure to stay up.

Last edited:
Harrison and Sterling both scored a lot of goals ...but it's hard not to get excited about Parrott.
Hope he has the patience to follow a similar path to Mr Kane.

Sterling has scored 29 goals over the last 3 seasons in 74 games.
Harrison has scored 21 goals over the last 3 seasons in 72 games.

Though in Harrisons case, he's had a lot more mens football games with lower league loans over the last 3 seasons but I can't say I have ever been impressed by him (Though he did have a really prolific year when he was younger). And I've never really been impressed by Sterling.

Parrott has 16 goals in 23 games this season.

You can just tell by watching Parrott that as an overall footballer he's brilliant. He's not just a good goalscorer, he's more important a good intelligent footballer. Something Harrison and Sterling simply aren't.

It's not quite Harry Kane levels of youth level goalscoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom