Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham make world-record £113m profit despite costs of new stadium

City, Scousers, United, Woolwich, Chavs.......
Your boys took one helluva beating

top-earner-cash-in-golden-trophy-GJMD48.jpg
Does it come with an automatic CL place?

This is the next phase of the endless battles on this subject on this forum, and I am going to be on the opposite side of it. That statement is flatly incorrect, and in fact stands in utter defiance of everything Daniel Levy has done in his stewardship of the club.
I really don't think it is. Having more money won't change who we are. We're not an oligarch-run vanity project. We'll have more money, to do the transfers we want without compromising as much, but we're not going to suddenly become a club spending 200 million a window on transfers. That's not how the people who run this club do business. And they're not going to change who they are. At the end of the day, we're still going to see the club balancing the books, trying to break even on transfers, and keeping the wage bill around 50% of turnover. If you think we're suddenly about to behave like Manchester United or Citeh, you're going to be very, very disappointed.

It hasn't been confiscatory...yet.

Both the incoming and outgoing money have sharply turned in the past year or so. We're sitting on a pile of cash. The squad is in need of investment in a way that wasn't as strongly true a couple years ago. Higher wages are sought by some of our key players.

This is a critical moment in ENIC's leadership. A hinge point.

We are certainly NOT sitting on a pile of cash - there was £500m of debt at end June 2018....which will have risen in the months since then on further costs to build the stadium.

We will (Future tense - not now) be far better off. By that I mean once we are into next season regularly earning the advantage of a bigger stadium and better sponsorship deals etc.

So this coming TW, I do expect us to spend money, but not mega bucks as much of it will be on borrowed money.

And another round of wages increases in new contract deals for existing players.

So forget ideas of £200m + new money spent on new players. We will spend but nothing like that.

Last edited:
It hasn't been confiscatory...yet.

Both the incoming and outgoing money have sharply turned in the past year or so. We're sitting on a pile of cash. The squad is in need of investment in a way that wasn't as strongly true a couple years ago. Higher wages are sought by some of our key players.

This is a critical moment in ENIC's leadership. A hinge point.
Just fucking buy a Citeh shirt already, jesus. Now you're snacking Levy because he has the potential to take money out of the club in complete contradiction to how he's run the club for nearly 2 decades.

New stadium has opened up, Levy haters running out of reasonable reasons to be upset.

Just enjoy the fucking ride, the club is sailing now compared to where it's been and where it could have ended up.

... There are panes of glass unacceptably blocking real true fans' views of the pitch. Unforgivable.

The H Club only has one USB charger per seat, Damn it Levy how will I be able to Skype on my iphone, play 'Words with Friends' on my ipad whilst reading 'Profit over People' by Noam Chomsky on my Kindle without losing charge, you cheapskate bastard....

Well think the levels of debt illustrate we won’t be doing anything that much differently.

Also skip indicator of ENICs long term plans. If they have no plans to sell then I imagine they won’t rush to clear off the debt. But it’s all guesswork.

CL football is probably the key to it all. Top 4 actually is our everything!!! That guy was right!!

Can someone explain this 10 year champions league coefficient?

Best explanation I've seen is from Swiss Ramble (I've grabbed and pasted the more relavant parts):

Prize money for UEFA club competitions significantly increases in 2018/19, including a new coefficient ranking payment that better rewards historically successful clubs rather than those with larger national TV rights deals.

The amount distributed to clubs in UEFA Champions League (group stage onwards) will rise €681m (54%) from €1.269 bln to €1.950 bln in 2018/19. This is split: participation €488m (25%), performance €585m (30%), TV pool €292m (15%) and coefficient rankings €585m (30%).

In 2018/19 each of the 32 clubs qualifying for Champions League group stage gets €15.25m plus €2.7m for a win and €900k for a draw. Additional prize money for each further stage reached: last 16 €9.5m, quarter-final €10.5m, semi-final €12m, final €15m and winners €19m.

2018/19 Champions League payments will significantly increase over 2017/18, especially in the early stages, eg 80% for group performance, compared to “only” 23% for the winners. The maximum amount a club could earn (excluding TV pool & coefficient) is up from €57.2m to €82.5m.

The minimum a club will earn from Champions League (excluding TV pool) has increased, due to addition of UEFA coefficient ranking, with Real Madrid guaranteed €51m (participation €15.25m + coefficient €35.5m). English clubs: #MUFC €46m, #MCFC €40m, #LFC €39m & #THFC €31m.

UEFA coefficient is based on performances over 10 years, including bonus points for winning UEFA tournaments. The €585m is divided into shares with each worth €1.108m, so highest ranked club gets €35.5m and lowest €1.1m. English rankings #MUFC 5, #MCFC 14, #LFC 15 & #THFC 25.

This new revenue distribution method clearly benefits traditional big clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona at the expense of clubs from countries with large TV pools (i.e. England and Italy). Lack of qualification has hurt #CFC and #AFC, who are ranked 6th and 9th respectively.
Dmt40MzWwAAGMG_.jpg

However, the overall increase in Champions League prize money (from booming TV and commercial deals) will mean that English clubs will still earn more in 2018/19 than 2017/18, assuming similar performance.

As a reminder, estimated English clubs earnings for 2017/18 based on old distribution are: #LFC €78m, #CFC €64m, #MCFC €62m & #THFC €60m. TV pool: (a) half based on position in previous season’s Premier League; (b) half based on current season’s Champions League performance.

If we assume same progress as 17/18, we can estimate amounts earned under new system in 18/19. I have increased England TV pool by 30% (per new BT Sports deal), then taken a third (per split of TV pool & coefficient). Note: this number is not certain, but used for illustration.
Dmt42CAW4AAny8_.jpg

#MCFC would earn €96m in 2018/19 compared to €62m in 2017/18 for reaching the quarter-finals, including €24m from the new UEFA coefficient (ranking 14th, but 11th best of teams that have qualified for this season’s Champions League).
#MUFC earnings would increase from €39m to €87m for reaching last 16, but this is a little misleading, as they only received half of TV pool in 2017/18, because they qualified by winning Europa League. However, they do benefit from their history, as they are ranked 5th by UEFA.
#THFC earnings would increase from €60m to €69m for reaching last 16, boosted by an excellent performance in group stage, but adversely impacted by a relatively low UEFA coefficient (ranking 25th, but 19th best of teams that have qualified for this season’s Champions League).
Dmt44oOX4AEZ-nc.jpg

#LFC revenue would have risen from €78m to an incredible €111m for reaching the final, mainly due to the hefty increases in prize money, but also thanks to a relatively high UEFA coefficient (ranking 15th, but 12th best of teams qualified for this season’s Champions League).

It should be emphasised that these are only estimates, particularly the assumption around the English TV pool, while revenue will also clearly depend on progress in this season’s competition, but hopefully the examples do make clear the differences in the new distribution system.

I just don't buy his bullshit. Amazing stadium, credit for finally delivering that. But his statement means nothing. He is just spouting what he thinks we all want to hear, or he wasn't such a slimy little cretin I would of been really excited by his statement. But we all know how he works and can therefore take his words with a big pinch of salt...coys and fuck levy
The funny thing is, we’d still be 14th without Levy.....if you fucked off however, no one would notice

Best explanation I've seen is from Swiss Ramble (I've grabbed and pasted the more relavant parts):

Prize money for UEFA club competitions significantly increases in 2018/19, including a new coefficient ranking payment that better rewards historically successful clubs rather than those with larger national TV rights deals.

The amount distributed to clubs in UEFA Champions League (group stage onwards) will rise €681m (54%) from €1.269 bln to €1.950 bln in 2018/19. This is split: participation €488m (25%), performance €585m (30%), TV pool €292m (15%) and coefficient rankings €585m (30%).

In 2018/19 each of the 32 clubs qualifying for Champions League group stage gets €15.25m plus €2.7m for a win and €900k for a draw. Additional prize money for each further stage reached: last 16 €9.5m, quarter-final €10.5m, semi-final €12m, final €15m and winners €19m.

2018/19 Champions League payments will significantly increase over 2017/18, especially in the early stages, eg 80% for group performance, compared to “only” 23% for the winners. The maximum amount a club could earn (excluding TV pool & coefficient) is up from €57.2m to €82.5m.

The minimum a club will earn from Champions League (excluding TV pool) has increased, due to addition of UEFA coefficient ranking, with Real Madrid guaranteed €51m (participation €15.25m + coefficient €35.5m). English clubs: #MUFC €46m, #MCFC €40m, #LFC €39m & #THFC €31m.

UEFA coefficient is based on performances over 10 years, including bonus points for winning UEFA tournaments. The €585m is divided into shares with each worth €1.108m, so highest ranked club gets €35.5m and lowest €1.1m. English rankings #MUFC 5, #MCFC 14, #LFC 15 & #THFC 25.

This new revenue distribution method clearly benefits traditional big clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona at the expense of clubs from countries with large TV pools (i.e. England and Italy). Lack of qualification has hurt #CFC and #AFC, who are ranked 6th and 9th respectively.
Dmt40MzWwAAGMG_.jpg

However, the overall increase in Champions League prize money (from booming TV and commercial deals) will mean that English clubs will still earn more in 2018/19 than 2017/18, assuming similar performance.

As a reminder, estimated English clubs earnings for 2017/18 based on old distribution are: #LFC €78m, #CFC €64m, #MCFC €62m & #THFC €60m. TV pool: (a) half based on position in previous season’s Premier League; (b) half based on current season’s Champions League performance.

If we assume same progress as 17/18, we can estimate amounts earned under new system in 18/19. I have increased England TV pool by 30% (per new BT Sports deal), then taken a third (per split of TV pool & coefficient). Note: this number is not certain, but used for illustration.
Dmt42CAW4AAny8_.jpg

#MCFC would earn €96m in 2018/19 compared to €62m in 2017/18 for reaching the quarter-finals, including €24m from the new UEFA coefficient (ranking 14th, but 11th best of teams that have qualified for this season’s Champions League).
#MUFC earnings would increase from €39m to €87m for reaching last 16, but this is a little misleading, as they only received half of TV pool in 2017/18, because they qualified by winning Europa League. However, they do benefit from their history, as they are ranked 5th by UEFA.
#THFC earnings would increase from €60m to €69m for reaching last 16, boosted by an excellent performance in group stage, but adversely impacted by a relatively low UEFA coefficient (ranking 25th, but 19th best of teams that have qualified for this season’s Champions League).
Dmt44oOX4AEZ-nc.jpg

#LFC revenue would have risen from €78m to an incredible €111m for reaching the final, mainly due to the hefty increases in prize money, but also thanks to a relatively high UEFA coefficient (ranking 15th, but 12th best of teams qualified for this season’s Champions League).

It should be emphasised that these are only estimates, particularly the assumption around the English TV pool, while revenue will also clearly depend on progress in this season’s competition, but hopefully the examples do make clear the differences in the new distribution system.

Perhaps justifiably, but european football is absolutely shit scared of City and PSG.

Dmt40MzWwAAGMG_.jpg

Dmt42CAW4AAny8_.jpg

Dmt44oOX4AEZ-nc.jpg

Considering how Real and Barca divvy up the La Liga TV revenue, this leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Another method of gerrymandering to line their dirty pockets further and maintain their dominance.
:avbnaa:

Considering how Real and Barca divvy up the La Liga TV revenue, this leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Another method of gerrymandering to line their dirty pockets further and maintain their dominance.
:avbnaa:
They are shit scared, all of them. At the moment the governing bodies are complicit as this is no doubt them keeping a competition intact whilst having the threat of a breakaway 'Super League", in effect they are creating just that with this coefficient.

Perhaps justifiably, but european football is absolutely shit scared of City and PSG.
Reality is they are shit scared of Real, Barca, Man U, Bayern, Woolwich, maybe Liverpool, Inter and AC Milan(??) as this is where the threat of a breakaway League is coming from, they have effectively created a League within a League with this coefficient, circled the wagons so that no-one else can join.

Back
Top Bottom