New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Never in my life have I been at a football match and thought "You know what I could really do with right now? A nice cup of tea."

Christ's sake - enjoy your bloody champagne and stop moaning about trivial things. (Not directed at you Arty, I know you're just forwarding the information)
The tea at Wembley was lovely.

A post from Billericayspurs on SSC re transport :

Apologies in advance for a boring post.

I do produce work for Network Rail and DfT and indeed know people working in the Tottenham area on the improvements right now.

WHL is way from finishing, but the silly thing is, it will be a shiny new station, but actually it won't have any more capacity whatsoever, unless loads of extra trains are laid on (TfL dependent). The platforms are of a fixed length, to fit in with all other stations on this branch line.

Northumberland Park is the most advanced and having spoke to a member of Network Rail staff the other day, they say trains will start using the third track to Meridien Water by September which will obviously increase capacity to Stratford and Liverpool Street.

Tottenham Hale still has some track to lay and some complications with overhead power lines running under the bridge approach but again, according to my Network Rail source, will all be working by September.

Seven Sisters, once again, the station is way too small for the interchange that it is. I heard some new exits are planned to alleviate crowds. The problem with Seven Sisters is the platforms are very shallow and don't have much capacity. It is clearly the more convenient station out of TH and crowds will continue to flood this station.

I am curious as to the flow of away fans to the new stadium. Obviously they are now in the opposite corner. I am assuming the authorities will prefer them going to TH or NP but human nature always take the direct route.

On the future of rail planning, people are still suggesting a Victoria Line extension to Northumberland Park. This is never gonna happen. It's very complicated as the depot is not at the end of the line which is unusual. It would require a new tunnel and there is no money for that. Also the space that this track would take up is already safeguarded for a 4th platform at NP because if Crossrail 2 ever comes along this will be the preferred route for many as it travels from SW London up to Tottenham and then north to Broxbourne.

Currently, for me, the best way in would be to change at Stratford and head 2 stops to Northumberland Park in 11 mins. One thing I have noticed is when West Ham are at home along with Spurs, there is now a spike where opposing fans en masse are flooding onto platforms at Stratford already full of West Ham fans from OS. This will only get worse with the extra trains and bigger crowds coming from Tottenham.

My Edit - I'm sure Spurs have said that extra trains to WHL are expected which will increase capacity

Just checked the Rail Planner and it appears Northumberland Park is open on Wednesday, that should help alot.
That's a good and pretty obvious point actually. Nobody seems to be mentioning that a lot of the issues are because one of the main stations serving the stadium has been closed for both events so far.

I know we have to factor in another 17,000 people (gulp) but spreading people down that way has to help

A post (from 3 days ago) from a poster on SSC with good contacts in Haringey Council :

One of my little birds is normally a very reliable chirper - and today's chirp has been immensely gratifying. Spurs and Mace, with Spurs' agent as third part certifier, have agreed "practical completion", even ahead of this weekend's test event. This means that Haringey have basically done their end of things already, the only exception to this being TfL (who are official reviewers of the transport arrangements on which the process is now contingent for full completion).

Legally speaking this means that all parties are already happy that there are no patent defects left to screw things up. Even if the transport end of things leads to a nationwide gridlock next weekend it will be dealt with as a statutory duty case and not subject to referral to the TCC, so in other words the keys can be officially handed over now, if they wish

Just a thought. If you really hated your season ticket seat (I don’t know yet as didn’t sit in it on Sat as chose somewhere else for that game), how difficult/easy would it be to transfer to a different seat in the close season?

Back when we bought the ST's back in March/April or whenever it was, the club said chose wisely as would be nigh on impossible to move seats in the future. Certainly for next season they are doing no changes I read the other day.

Back when we bought the ST's back in March/April or whenever it was, the club said chose wisely as would be nigh on impossible to move seats in the future. Certainly for next season they are doing no changes I read the other day.
What if I ask really nicely?! I am row 48 South Stand, half way towards the Shelf.

At half time I walked down to bang behind the goal, South Lower Row 10 and my god I wish I hadn’t. That view is perfection and I’ll do all I can to end up there in the coming years.

Can't find the exact official attendance number, but seeing it was announced at just over 41k for Saturday. So another 21k will be packed in there in two days time.

Going to take a few matches for everyone to get their bearings. Over 25k more than at the old WHL.

A post from Billericayspurs on SSC re transport :

Apologies in advance for a boring post.

I do produce work for Network Rail and DfT and indeed know people working in the Tottenham area on the improvements right now.

WHL is way from finishing, but the silly thing is, it will be a shiny new station, but actually it won't have any more capacity whatsoever, unless loads of extra trains are laid on (TfL dependent). The platforms are of a fixed length, to fit in with all other stations on this branch line.

Northumberland Park is the most advanced and having spoke to a member of Network Rail staff the other day, they say trains will start using the third track to Meridien Water by September which will obviously increase capacity to Stratford and Liverpool Street.

Tottenham Hale still has some track to lay and some complications with overhead power lines running under the bridge approach but again, according to my Network Rail source, will all be working by September.

Seven Sisters, once again, the station is way too small for the interchange that it is. I heard some new exits are planned to alleviate crowds. The problem with Seven Sisters is the platforms are very shallow and don't have much capacity. It is clearly the more convenient station out of TH and crowds will continue to flood this station.

I am curious as to the flow of away fans to the new stadium. Obviously they are now in the opposite corner. I am assuming the authorities will prefer them going to TH or NP but human nature always take the direct route.

On the future of rail planning, people are still suggesting a Victoria Line extension to Northumberland Park. This is never gonna happen. It's very complicated as the depot is not at the end of the line which is unusual. It would require a new tunnel and there is no money for that. Also the space that this track would take up is already safeguarded for a 4th platform at NP because if Crossrail 2 ever comes along this will be the preferred route for many as it travels from SW London up to Tottenham and then north to Broxbourne.

Currently, for me, the best way in would be to change at Stratford and head 2 stops to Northumberland Park in 11 mins. One thing I have noticed is when West Ham are at home along with Spurs, there is now a spike where opposing fans en masse are flooding onto platforms at Stratford already full of West Ham fans from OS. This will only get worse with the extra trains and bigger crowds coming from Tottenham.

My Edit - I'm sure Spurs have said that extra trains to WHL are expected which will increase capacity
That last bit about West Ham is cobblers I think. It assumes that West Ham fans all live at Stratford, since when has that been the case? Just as it also supposes that Tottenham fans will all be travelling to the running track from Northumberland Park, again cobblers.

There will be a convergence of course as fans from both are probably mostly overlapped via Essex and will be accessing either stadiums from there, which is no different as it has always been (other than stating the obvious it will be more Spurs fans at home in Tottenham).

Getting crowds away after games is my only concern for the new place.
It was mad at the under 18s, insane at the Legends game.
Going to be special on Wednesday :)
Surprised to hear this but I guess it depends on where you needed to go. I left a bit after final whistle (saw interviews etc but can’t remember if they’d finished or not) and was back at Euston for 8.10pm. Walked toward Seven Sisters, jumped on a passing bus and strolled into the tube with no queue.
But like you, I was wondering how it would be a bit later on in the evening as it’ll be on Wednesday.

On the season ticket note... I sincerely hope the woman directly behind me isn't a ST holder.

As soon as the legends game kicked off she shouted "OK you can sit down now". I was like "Yeah OK jesus!!" She then proceeded to just spout the most incessant drivel that was just clearly regurgitating Daily Mail articles about players wanting to leave and us not buying players. :pochfacepalm:

On the season ticket note... I sincerely hope the woman directly behind me isn't a ST holder.

As soon as the legends game kicked off she shouted "OK you can sit down now". I was like "Yeah OK jesus!!" She then proceeded to just spout the most incessant drivel that was just clearly regurgitating Daily Mail articles about players wanting to leave and us not buying players. :pochfacepalm:
You sure it’s not Mrs. P? :sonhmm:

As an Aussie, I think it's pretty incredible that you have that much rail infrastructure so far away from the centre of your city. Even though it's probably slightly inadequate for the crowds, it's a hell of a lot better than anything we have, especially if someone plonked a 60k seat stadium 10+km from our CBD (which has happened in the past and from all accounts it was an absolute nightmare to get to). Enjoy Thursday morning (my time) guys, be loud.

WHL was a 45 minute queue to the platform Northbound on Saturday, but Southbound seemed a lot faster. One issue was less than clear signage to the South/North queues (which should be an easy fix) resulting in some people queuing almost an hour then being told to get to the back of another queue. I saw a few people threatening to jump barriers and claim assault if the stewards tried to stop them.

Chesham station was my preferred route on Sat as driving with my son, but for some reason they closed off the station car park so people were parking all over the surrounding roads wherever they could get a spot. Chaotic at best.

The stadium interior and exterior are exceptional, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done to the concourses in terms of signage (e.g. it's different stairs to level 4 or 5... I learned that the hard way) and it wasn't very obvious where some concessions were positioned. Food wise it seemed that you had to travel about a quarter length of the stadium if you wanted something other than a pie or sausage roll so the queues for the fish+chip / hot-dog stand were mental and hardly anywhere to eat it unless you go to your seat (which you can't do with a pint). At the stroke of half time I went to get another drink but barely moved in a queue after 10 mins so gave up.

Overall I think the actual stadium, seating etc is magnificent, but the transport is a mess and the food/drink situation needs a fair bit of attention.

I also somehow couldn't find the big club shop!
10 minute Q to get into it

Back
Top Bottom