Liverpoo v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 31.03.19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our back 3 were perfectly set up to defend the first cross of the game but instead of sticking to his man Davinson wandered towards the ball and left Firmino free. Just because Trippier let the cross come in doesn’t mean we have to concede a goal, crosses are going to come in during a game of football.

Agree until you mentioned Trippier

As Robbie Keane said at HT Trippier had to close Robertson down before he had tried to cross it but no he just stood off and let him but you’re right Firmino should have been picked up

Because at the time, we had a fit selection of Dembele, Dier, Winks, Sissoko and Wanyama
All players either with significant (or very recent) injuries, or not good enough...or some combination of both. And the same can be said for the summer before with the same bunch.

And now we will come to this summer where we are in the same position of having not good enough and injury prone MFs. should we not bolster the ranks again this summer? Or has the exceedingly obvious fact become so obvious that even you recognize you will look the fool for arguing against it?

sammyspurs sammyspurs - the Spurs UBER fan who was slating fellow Spurs fans few days ago for not understanding our club now thinks we should have done major business in January eventhough 1) we never have 2)you can never sign quality without overpaying massively. Embarrassing scenes

giphy.gif
Aint going to happen old cock .

If Lloris makes a simple catch this is a draw. Let’s not make this out as more than that.

Burnley, Chelsea, Woolwich and Southampton we were poor for long stretches and looked tactically bereft of ideas. Today that was not the case. We more or less dominated the entire second half and more than held our own for long stretches of the first.

Everyone chalked this off a loss before the game, so some of the reactions here seem a bit dishonest.

Yet you were wrong, but can't admit it, I can, happily! Look at me, what do I know!

Sammy, EVERYONE knows you called it wrong, there's absolutely zero shame in that. I thought we should have signed Saido Berahino back in the day, go me!

Why can't you ever hold your hands up and say whoops?
But I’ve explained to you that I don’t think we should have signed in the summer and why.

I know you understand this so why are you pretending you don’t

Agree until you mentioned Trippier

As Robbie Keane said at HT Trippier had to close Robertson down before he had tried to cross it but no he just stood off and let him but you’re right Firmino should have been picked up

3 CBs and we allow Firmino that much space? It's just piss poor by really talented footballers. They seem so casual which, unfortunately means a few of them aren't good enough to play for a top team.

A dozen or so mistakes at least this season, that's no coincidence and it can't be trusted going into next season. Poch was right, maybe a few members of this team have reached their peak. Got to shift them before the good ones get itchy feet. Got to do what's best for Spurs

Last edited:
Didn’t stop every cunt spend the whole month slagging off Levy did it

And your point is?

We should have re-inforced last summer, not in January. Would you have taken Grealish or Barclay or Shelvey or any of the midfielders we were linked with last summer over today's starting midfield? Eriksen and/or Sissoko as the defensive screen?

We had ROSE playing in midfield today, wandering around losing the ball.

Just think about it. Our first choice LWB playing at being a midfielder.

It's all down to Levy now. Either he spends or we'll lose some of our talent and be lucky to end next season in the top half. Poch has to give him an ultimatum. Buy or I'm off. Poch, show some spine. We need you.

sammyspurs sammyspurs - the Spurs UBER fan who was slating fellow Spurs fans few days ago for not understanding our club now thinks we should have done major business in January eventhough 1) we never have 2)you can never sign quality without overpaying massively. Embarrassing scenes

We wanted players in January, the manager said it himself.
I 100% believe the Dembele sale with no replacement was an utter fiasco and we should have gone all out for a DM.
A striker or forward was also a must.

I’m glad everyone has suddenly revised their positions from January and they now are calm and sympathetic towards Levy and fully understand why the club did what it did. Haha

I can go back to the January Transfer Thread and pull out your comments that would show that you are talking absolute bollocks now though if you want.

I don’t remember anyone saying “we shouldn’t sign anyone this window”.....fucking hilarious.
You were even agreeing with me that we needed a striker ffs

We have peaked and now we are stagnating, we need a real shake up of the whole system.
I agree. Starting at the top down.

1 point from 15, including losses to the likes of Burnley and Southampton at the business end of the season is simply unacceptable,.

Just as hoping to wing it on the cheap by not signing a single fucking player for two successive transfer windows is also unacceptable.

The whole ethos of the club, from the boardroom to the attitude on the pitch is rotten and needs to change.
As fans we cant expect to have a winning mentality within the team when no such desire is shown by the heirarchy of the club.

And your point is?

We should have re-inforced last summer, not in January. Would you have taken Grealish or Barclay or Shelvey or any of the midfielders we were linked with last summer over today's starting midfield? Eriksen and/or Sissoko as the defensive screen?

We had ROSE playing in midfield today, wandering around losing the ball.

Just think about it. Our first choice LWB playing at being a midfielder.
My point is that you look a right cunt if you spent 4 weeks demanding Levy’s head for not signing a DM in January, and then in March you say “it’s impossible to sign players in January”

Enough time to reflect here, I said before the game the gloves were coming off for criticism if 100% effort wasn’t displayed in such a big game, well 100% effort was given throughout and criticism can not be fairly dished out to any player...well done lads.
But having watched first hand 100% commitment from each and every single player for 96mins it does now open the Pandora’s box of “quality.....”
So I’ll start with the Manager:
Pochettino set us up 352 which produced 35mins of near one way traffic, their goal was a perfect example of this, our wingbacks were forced into a back 5 leaving acers of space in the wide areas of midfield and left us an extra man doing nothing at Centre half, with the midfield 3 running around like headless chickens chasing shadows, the two up top were starved of the ball and were basically out of the game. Around 35mins he changed it pushing Verts to leftback and rose playing wide left, with Lucas dropping deeper into midfield 4411, he stuck with this second half and what a change of pace it produced, their fullbacks were stuck and we dominated midfield, had chances to win that game twice over, should have won that game twice over, Liverpool were broken and lost, but this is the highest level of football in the world and you live and die by fine margins of “quality”......Verdict? We must keep him at all costs.

Lloris - Can be a quality shot stopper, and has saved the day more than once over the season, but every time he has the ball at his feet I shit myself, and of course he has an ever growing collection of errors in his quiver....Verdict? Let him see out the season but needs replaced, Gazza could be a ready made “free” replacement and Hugo could bring in a welcome £25/30m.

Trippier - We always knew his defending was average, but he was supposed to offer quality, energy and delivery going forward, but hasn’t really lived up to the WC hype....Verdict? Another summer fundraiser, we don’t have a ready made replacement in the ranks so scouts should be looking at Rightbacks as we speak.

Rose - Improving with each game after his comeback......Verdict? Got to stick with him.

Vertonghen - Legend.....Verdict? I’d make him Captain.

Alderweireld- Leaving.....Verdict? Would love to keep him but he will leave for 25m, Scouts should be looking hard for replacement.

Sanchez - Inexperienced....Verdict? With Toby almost certain to leave we need to keep this kid, and keep improving him.

Sissoko - No words to describe him before the watershed....Verdict? Is he worth selling and taking a massive financial hit? But does being a squad player really suit him either? Best option here is to whore him out to the Chinese market and with a bit of luck claw back most of what was wasted.

Eriksen - His head isn’t in the game right now, that said he’s not playing his normal position which isn’t helping him, and of course the contract dilemma.....Verdict? If he won’t sign by the end of the season then 100m being touted looks good, could be our best option to actually have a transfer budget this summer.

Lucas - The definition of Hit & Miss....Verdict? Got to keep working him.

Alli - When the team clicks he clicks, sadly it should be the other way around, when he clicks the team should click......Verdict? Let’s get a team that clicks then, still too much potential to even consider selling, just needs to sort his personal life out and stop getting distracted.

Kane - Straight to the Verdict.....Verdict? Build a team to his strengths.

Son - Hardest one of them all, when Kane doesn’t play he looks like Messi, when Kane plays he looks like Sissoko....Verdict? Too much quality to even consider selling, but he isn’t a winger, he’s a striker, pair him up with Kane in a 4411.......

At last a decent match report but a bit harsh on Sissoko

I agree. Starting at the top down.

1 point from 15, including losses to the likes of Burnley and Southampton at the business end of the season is simply unacceptable,.

Just as hoping to wing it on the cheap by not signing a single fucking player for two successive transfer windows is also unacceptable.

The whole ethos of the club, from the boardroom to the attitude on the pitch is rotten and needs to change.
As fans we cant expect to have a winning mentality within the team when no such desire is shown by the heirarchy of the club.
Agree. Everyone is too comfortable.

There's always gonna be cunts that fancy themselves as scouts or are simply contrary for the fuck of it, but our 'rise' coincides with us being widely lauded as destroying teams in CM.... As recently as last season too.
Only when Dembele played. Remember the Liverpool game where we were 'so good'? It was longball OVER the MF. Dembele destroyed other MF players. It was credit to him and no one else. You are trying to generalize it to the whole MF.

3 years ago we bought Vic and had peak Dembele.

Revisionist bollocks.
Yes, we bought Vic but many thought we still needed new MF players. Perhaps the idea of recruiting players from a position of strength eludes you but to some that is the way you build a squad. And who was Vic's competition? And who was Dembele's? Surely, you see that bringing quality players for those positions would be addressing and improving the MF, no?

Some keenly astute observers felt that Dembele could be 'improved' upon by getting a more rounded MF that would bring some passing distribution in along with similar ball retention qualities. Many even called for someone like Kongdogbia in the January window. Perhaps an alternative to him would have extending his time with us.

Others use 'meh' in attempting to be haughtily and pitifully dismissive of arguments they can't refute while calling anything they disagree with 'revisionist bollocks' without considering alternative approaches that they are unable to conjure.

I know which camp I was in. Oh, and I never talk bollocks. If it comes out of my mouth it has been considered...unless I'm just trying to goad bus-conductor bus-conductor

Back
Top Bottom