New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Berbatov?

Amazing player but didn't he leave us for United....
I get that in an ideal world. But in reality what we're looking for is players in their lateish 40s or younger, not still playing, who did well for us, but never left for a bigger club. We're never going to be able to make a squad out of that, especially since we weren't very legendary during the 90s and early 2000s. So it's a choice between the likes of Berbatov - who did brilliantly for us, gave us loads of special moments, was there for our return to Europe and scored in the only cup final we've won in living memory for some of us, but left for understandable reasons on a sour note. Or the likes of Rebrov who never left in a strop, but primarily because nobody better than us would have dreamed of signing them. Out of the two, I'd take the Berbatovs every time.

Keane left us for Liverpool and Carr left us for Newcastle. Where's the cut off point? Personally I think it's all good of players leave to better their career unless they've moved to Woolwich. It's a friendly no need to blow it up with bitterness from the past unnecessarily
I get that in an ideal world. But in reality what we're looking for is players in their lateish 40s or younger, not still playing, who did well for us, but never left for a bigger club. We're never going to be able to make a squad out of that, especially since we weren't very legendary during the 90s and early 2000s. So it's a choice between the likes of Berbatov - who did brilliantly for us, gave us loads of special moments, was there for our return to Europe and scored in the only cup final we've won in living memory for some of us, but left for understandable reasons on a sour note. Or the likes of Rebrov who never left in a strop, but primarily because nobody better than us would have dreamed of signing them. Out of the two, I'd take the Berbatovs every time.
Sure, I understand and the fact that we went a long period without playing very well means we have fewer top players to pick from.

It still strikes me as a little embarrassing though that Steven Carr is part of a Tottnham legends match.

Sure, I understand and the fact that we went a long period without playing very well means we have fewer top players to pick from.

It still strikes me as a little embarrassing though that Steven Carr is part of a Tottnham legends match.

I'd get over it if I were you, not many right backs we've had that don't play anymore that could play. Plus he was at the club from 1991-2004 so 13 years of service for a player who at his peak was a fine right back I'm absolutely fine with.

Also if you have an issue with Berbatov playing for us as he moved to Man U I'm guessing you had a problem with the club re-signing Robbie Keane 3-4 months later after he joined Liverpool.

Berbatov isn't English, he joined the biggest club in the world at the time. Don't have an issue with something that happened in a different era of the club mate. Most players that don't play now but are still fit enough for a kickabout sadly come from an era that wasn't our most glorious, just how it is

Let's be totally honest. If you or I became a professional footballer, played in La Liga, let's say for Villarreal. Did really well, but the club finished mid-table a couple of years running and then in 14th. And then Atletico Madrid turned up, offerred a wage increase, a first-team spot, European football, and a much better chance of trophies. How many of us would turn it down? I certainly wouldn't. And unless we'd criticise Tottenham for chasing players from mid-table teams, it's hypocritical to criticise the players for wanting to move to bigger clubs than us. I'd much rather remember the players for what they did for us, rather than just the fact that they eventually left for greener looking grass.

Keane left us for Liverpool and Carr left us for Newcastle. Where's the cut off point? Personally I think it's all good of players leave to better their career unless they've moved to Woolwich. It's a friendly no need to blow it up with bitterness from the past unnecessarily
Thought everything was good with berbatov now after he played in Ledleys testimonial

For me the cut off point is refusing to come on as a sub TWICE in order to force through a move.
Got no time for Berbatov, he wasn’t here long enough for me to care or remember how sublime he could be

For me the cut off point is refusing to come on as a sub TWICE in order to force through a move.
Got no time for Berbatov, he wasn’t here long enough for me to care or remember how sublime he could be

I can't remember him doing that but I was zipping around the States at the time we sold him so might have missed that one.

Classy player but let's be honest he was an enigma and all about what was best for him. Don't blame him for leaving but sulking and acting like that if he's done so ain't on agreed

I can't remember him doing that but I was zipping around the States at the time we sold him so might have missed that one.

Classy player but let's be honest he was an enigma and all about what was best for him. Don't blame him for leaving but sulking and acting like that if he's done so ain't on agreed

“We had a player in Berbatov who had refused to play two games for us, having a detrimental affect on the dressing-room,"
"We'd known for a year that the player wanted out of this club.
"The reality is that in modern football the players have all the power."

"Dimitar Berbatov was a player who we brought to this club at a time when Man United were interested in him. He made a conscious decision to come to this club, we invested a lot of money, nobody had ever heard of Dimitar Berbatov when we bought him.

"A year later with 10 days to go to the end of the window he tells us he wants to leave to go to Manchester United. We were very disappointed.

"I don't think he treated this club with the respect that we honestly deserved.
"We put him on the map, I think he's an outstanding player, but he signed a long-term contract with this club and I think he should have stayed.

"I had so many conversations with him. He kept saying it was about his ambition to play for Manchester United. It wasn't a money issue. We offered him a new contract and he wasn't even interested in discussing it."
Levy

We know it’s pretty serious if Levy goes on record

So Berbatov left not for the money, but to join the best team of the era who'd just won the Premier League and the Champions League, from a team that had just finished 11th below West Ham.

I remember that time and it's not like our fans were optimistic. We'd had a brilliant year in 05-06, getting 65 points and nearly 4th place. But we'd slipped to 11th with 46 points two years later, we'd had a horrific second half to the season - relegation form - and we'd already sold Berbatov's strike partner to the scousers. It was very disappointing at the time, but not surprising he'd want to go. For all the world it looked like we were going to slip back into mid-table obscurity.

So Berbatov left not for the money, but to join the best team of the era who'd just won the Premier League and the Champions League, from a team that had just finished 11th below West Ham.

I remember that time and it's not like our fans were optimistic. We'd had a brilliant year in 05-06, getting 65 points and nearly 4th place. But we'd slipped to 11th with 46 points two years later, we'd had a horrific second half to the season - relegation form - and we'd already sold Berbatov's strike partner to the scousers. It was very disappointing at the time, but not surprising he'd want to go. For all the world it looked like we were going to slip back into mid-table obscurity.
It’s not the point he left, it’s the manner he did it which doesn’t make him a legend in my eyes.

It’s not the point he left, it’s the manner he did it which doesn’t make him a legend in my eyes.
If he hadn't acted like that, he wouldn't have been able to leave. I wouldn't expect players of any other mid-table team to be content to sit around if United or ourselves came in now, so as much as it hurt at the time I don't think it's reasonable to judge him for doing something about it. We got two great seasons from him, and a ridiculous transfer fee for the time which we were able to re-invest in players like Kaboul, Crouchy, Defoe and Palacios over the next couple of windows. We did well out of him.

If he hadn't acted like that, he wouldn't have been able to leave. I wouldn't expect players of any other mid-table team to be content to sit around if United or ourselves came in now, so as much as it hurt at the time I don't think it's reasonable to judge him for doing something about it. We got two great seasons from him, and a ridiculous transfer fee for the time which we were able to re-invest in players like Kaboul, Crouchy, Defoe and Palacios over the next couple of windows. We did well out of him.

Yeah it just stops him being a legend though

It was over a decade ago, I'm over it.

I'm not under any false impression that every Spurs player has to love the club to be considered a legend. He wanted to play for United, he wanted to play in the Champions League and we were shit at the time. Everyone knows what a pain Levy is when it comes to negotiation, he did what he needed to achieve his dreams.

Modric is one of the best players to put on a Spurs shirt, the fact he was being a twat about leaving doesn't change that.

Hmm did Berba run down his contract and leave on a free to join our arch rivals after promising to stay?

That's definitely the same thing isn't it?

Oh wait, no, we got £30m for him after he tore it up for two seasons.

Both cunts. One ran down his contract, the other basically went on strike. I think your memory may be a little fuzzy of Sulkatov's antics since it was over a decade ago.

Back
Top Bottom