Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think a lot of people have go a to high of an opinion on players we should be signing. We were linked with Tielemans and Andre Gomes, people on this board said they aren't good enough, yet they are having very good seasons at their respective clubs, albeit a short time for Tielemans. I know the ultimate decision goes down to Poch, but we aren't too big for players of that mould.

We aren't going to sign your Iscos, Bales and NDombeles because we won't pay the prices and wages demanded. Grealish might be in the Championship, but he's a damn sight better than a lot of the players in the Premier League. Poch has proven he can get the best out of most players he works with.
After a good start gomez has been largely wank. 2018/19 - Andre Gomes.

We just have to be setting up deals early.

Failure to do that will be unforgivable

Spot on. Pochettino has a very tough pre season schedule where the players are really put through their paces. We need signings to be part of that from the very beginning. Not more last minute bargins, which don't make an impact until the following season.

I'd love for us to be currently all over and locking down deals for Brandt and Gomez from Celta but I'm not confident in the clubs abilitg to operate in such a way at the moment.

Not just slagging off levy or even Poch with that statement just a simple case of our finances not being as easily predictable as they were to the number crunchers up top. The scouting team whoever and whatever capacity we are currently running that in worry me and I flirt between the dof idea at the moment when I've been a solid "we don't need one" guy for about 3-4 years now.

But those two players in particular are going for quality money in comparison to today's inflated market values , are both young and learning but are already head and foot above a large portion of players in their respective leagues/ position.

If Brandt's release clause is true then its £57m or maybe € for the pair. Either way that's two crucial positions for little more transfer fee wise than Davidson Sanchez cost us.

I feel that as long as we shift the full on dead wood not even fringe players there's no reason that the amounts of cash being talked about are more than achievable.

I know I've heard it and yes people are right real life isn't Fifa / football manager. I'm also not a professional scout but I watch a lot of football and believe in my own ability to spot a talent anyway. Both have the potential to be very special in my opinion.

But if anyone could , without prompting a cunt off, explain to me as to why these two especially or anyone else that people could argue for (Berge etc) aren't not only feasible but shouldn't be done isn't only through down right strange / incredibly poor transfer ability alone then please let me know.

It's not computer games but it's also not rocket science. Like everything it's rarely ever black and white there's a lot of greys but from my outside view I'm currently most frustrated by how unprofessional we appear in things like this as much as I am in this current down turn of form and morale.

Last edited:
Sadly enough I highly doubt whether we will make any effort to convince Brandt to sign for us. Obviously there are multiple clubs interested with this release clause in his contract, but we should at least try it imo.

Sadly enough I highly doubt whether we will make any effort to convince Brandt to sign for us. Obviously there are multiple clubs interested with this release clause in his contract, but we should at least try it imo.

Agreed. If it's possible we should be making moves for him. If we end up losing Alderweireld & Eriksen and replace them with Andersen & Brandt I think that's the best we could hope for. Probably end up with a bit of money left over as well.

I'd love for us to be currently all over and locking down deals for Brandt and Gomez from Celta but I'm not confident in the clubs abilitg to operate in such a way at the moment.

Not just slagging off levy or even Poch with that statement just a simple case of our finances not being as easily predictable as they were to the number crunchers up top. The scouting team whoever and whatever capacity we are currently running that in worry me and I flirt between the dof idea at the moment when I've been a solid "we don't need one" guy for about 3-4 years now.

But those two players in particular are going for quality money in comparison to today's inflated market values , are both young and learning but are already head and foot above a large portion of players in their respective leagues/ position.

If Brandt's release clause is true then its £57m or maybe € for the pair. Either way that's two crucial positions for little more transfer fee wise than Davidson Sanchez cost us.

I feel that as long as we shift the full on dead wood not even fringe players there's no reason that the amounts of cash being talked about are more than achievable.

I know I've heard it and yes people are right real life isn't Fifa / football manager. I'm also not a professional scout but I watch a lot of football and believe in my own ability to spot a talent anyway. Both have the potential to be very special in my opinion.

But if anyone could , without prompting a cunt off, explain to me as to why these two especially or anyone else that people could argue for (Berge etc) aren't not only feasible but shouldn't be done isn't only through down right strange / incredibly poor transfer ability alone then please let me know.

It's not computer games but it's also not rocket science. Like everything it's rarely ever black and white there's a lot of greys but from my outside view I'm currently most frustrated by how unprofessional we appear in things like this as much as I am in this current down turn of form and morale.

Spotting players can be the least of the issues though.

Both players seem to be decent value for money - so many other clubs will be interested, so its not like we have a clear run at them.

The other issue is that we already have 2 more players than we can register in CL squad -which means we need to shed 4 or more just to sign these two. After Janssen and N'Koudou its then a question of whether Eriksen and Alderweireld move on and whether we want/need to move on others of which Aurier, Sissoko and Lamela and/or Moura might be on the short list - although others may have their own ideas of overseas trained players to move on. But it may well be that players at Spurs are already on good wages which other clubs do not want to afford meaning its not that simple to move them on as it is in computer games.

So it maybe that another target who is home grown - my current favourite would be Nabil Bentaleb (CM) as I understand he and Poch are now on speaking terms as he knows Poch training regime, the other players (so limited integration time) and at age 24/25 has both PL and CL experience. and showed himself to be a very decent player before - might be a better bet as we have circa 3 open spots in the squad without need for sales from a squad numbers point of view.

1. Lilywhite Rose‏ @Lilywhite_Rose
    #thfc understand a serious interest exists for Sampdoria CB, Joachim Andersen (22) he is a Danish international and stands at 6ft 2. Talks between the clubs have been ongoing for some time with the fee required to complete set to be €25m.

D1nxcIbWkAErkeS.jpg

1. Lilywhite Rose‏ @Lilywhite_Rose
    #thfc understand a serious interest exists for Sampdoria CB, Joachim Andersen (22) he is a Danish international and stands at 6ft 2. Talks between the clubs have been ongoing for some time with the fee required to complete set to be €25m.

D1nxcIbWkAErkeS.jpg

I can believe these sort of links.

We've been linked with him for what seems like 3 transfer windows now.

Reminiscent of when we were linked with Wimmer for about 3 windows too before we finally signed him. Almost as if we're scouting for 12 months instead of taking an early punt on him.

Berge is another one we've been linked with for over a year so that's another one I see having legs.

Either way, whenever I've stumbled across a Sampdoria game , Andersen has looked relatively solid. Interesting that he's a left sided centre back and is predominantly right footed.

I have no doubt if we sign him, he'll be seen as Vertonghen's heir as opposed to Alderweirelds.

Reminiscent of when we were linked with Wimmer for about 3 windows too before we finally signed him. Almost as if we're scouting for 12 months instead of taking an early punt on him.

Berge is another one we've been linked with for over a year so that's another one I see having legs.

Either way, whenever I've stumbled across a Sampdoria game , Andersen has looked relatively solid. Interesting that he's a left sided centre back and is predominantly right footed.

I have no doubt if we sign him, he'll be seen as Vertonghen's heir as opposed to Alderweirelds.

Andersen, Sanchez & Foyth as a long term centreback group is very impressive and solid. Jan thrown into the mix for another season or two and I really like the look of that. Plenty of potential that will grow over the next few years

Andersen, Sanchez & Foyth as a long term centreback group is very impressive and solid. Jan thrown into the mix for another season or two and I really like the look of that. Plenty of potential that will grow over the next few years

Fuck it, go and get Vincent Kompany on a free transfer too.

That guys a winner.

Vincent Kompany & Juan Mata as short term signings to help the squad would be excellent in my opinion.

People say no to Mata but he still has class we could utilise for 10 starts or so a season

Whilst I think Foyth is better than Sanchez and has a much higher ceiling, I wouldn't be against sending Foyth out on loan (either abroad or in the Prem) to get consistent 30+ games to his name and bringing in someone like Kompany.

Only issue with Kompany is his injury problems and he's obviously not as imperious as he once was. He's missed 18 games this season through injury. Missed 23 last season etc.

But that sort of winning mentality is something we lack.

Ive been hearing about this link for the past 3 transfer windows. So whats the holdup? Levy trying to pinch every penny I reckon.

Spotting players can be the least of the issues though.

Both players seem to be decent value for money - so many other clubs will be interested, so its not like we have a clear run at them.

The other issue is that we already have 2 more players than we can register in CL squad -which means we need to shed 4 or more just to sign these two. After Janssen and N'Koudou its then a question of whether Eriksen and Alderweireld move on and whether we want/need to move on others of which Aurier, Sissoko and Lamela and/or Moura might be on the short list - although others may have their own ideas of overseas trained players to move on. But it may well be that players at Spurs are already on good wages which other clubs do not want to afford meaning its not that simple to move them on as it is in computer games.

So it maybe that another target who is home grown - my current favourite would be Nabil Bentaleb (CM) as I understand he and Poch are now on speaking terms as he knows Poch training regime, the other players (so limited integration time) and at age 24/25 has both PL and CL experience. and showed himself to be a very decent player before - might be a better bet as we have circa 3 open spots in the squad without need for sales from a squad numbers point of view.

Cheers for the reply mate nothing I'll disagree with there was just pondering if there was something more than the obvious points behind it because it's hard to not be a focal point when thinking about the club.

Totally with you on Bentaleb. People can debate how worthwhile he is / is it a signing of intent etc but he'd help the home grown quota and like you say he knows Poch and they appear to have made up.

On his talent though it's not like his only use would be to help the HG status. He's an established and arguably key midfielder for a Schalke team that aren't mugs. In a 3 man CM and feeling like he's had a second chance to come home I believe he's excel. He'd offer what we would of wanted from Rabiot without any of the hassle.

Would you feel disappointed if I rephrased my original question to purely young British talent.

Of all the calls I've seen on this forum the one I can't fault the logic of is that every single window we should of been buying cheap young English talent. Hindsight may make some of look like fools later but there's a few young British lads we could of been buying and working on developing in house which may have saved us millions come the summer.

I do appreciate that we did appear to go all in for sancho so there are some signs but it's disturbing the lack of foresight to me.

Back
Top Bottom