Southampton (A) 9th March - 1500 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How the fuck can we defend like that with

hes fucking shit end of story .
Yet still our best RB

People have developed a very bizarre coping mechanism regarding Trippier and convinced themselves that Aurier and KWP are actually better.

Trippier has had an poor season and two heavy injuries. No one cares, they just turn on him while lavishing praise on others who have also been shit.

If Trippier needs upgrading, then they all do.....people saying we need to improved on all the RBs, fair enough.
But wanking one off over the other two is fucking laughable

If Trippier needs upgrading, then they all do.....people saying we need to improved on all the RBs, fair enough.

Very true. As much as I personally dislike Trippier (and I really don't rate him at all) the other options don't exactly excite me. The RB, like a few other areas in the team, needs some serious addressing in the summer. How we go about our affairs in the summer will tell me a lot about this club's ambition

Very true. As much as I personally dislike Trippier (and I really don't rate him at all) the other options don't exactly excite me. The RB, like a few other areas in the team, needs some serious addressing in the summer. How we go about our affairs in the summer will tell me a lot about this club's ambition

Personally I think if we had the Trippier of last season, everyone would still be going all out on Rose, who by and large, has been toilet for over a year.
My biggest concern is whether Poch can continue to get certain players to perform "above" their levels.

People have a really odd out look that if the average players in our squad are in poor form, it drags the world class contingent down. Piss poor excuse in my view, and its the complete opposite.

If Eriksen, Son, Kane and Dele are all masterful in one game at the same time (genuinely cant remember the last time that happened), then it makes life a lot easier for the likes of Dier and Davies etc.

Do 200M rated players really need "pub team" players to make it nice and comfortable for them to do their thing?
Really?

Personally I think if we had the Trippier of last season, everyone would still be going all out on Rose, who by and large, has been toilet for over a year.
My biggest concern is whether Poch can continue to get certain players to perform "above" their levels.

People have a really odd out look that if the average players in our squad are in poor form, it drags the world class contingent down. Piss poor excuse in my view, and its the complete opposite.

If Eriksen, Son, Kane and Dele are all masterful in one game at the same time (genuinely cant remember the last time that happened), then it makes life a lot easier for the likes of Dier and Davies etc.

Do 200M rated players really need "pub team" players to make it nice and comfortable for them to do their thing?
Really?
Poor players can definitely bring down those around them. Have you ever played a game of football, genuinely wondering here

It's even more disappointing that nobody complained before he actually took the fee krick, especially when you know or at least should know that they've got a great free kick taker in their team, those 10 yards could make all the difference.

They don't even give a shit enough to point it out.

Poch and the players losing their temper in every league game since Burnley when losing cos they are in a sulk but don't seem to really focus on doing the job in hand.

Yet still our best RB

People have developed a very bizarre coping mechanism regarding Trippier and convinced themselves that Aurier and KWP are actually better.

Trippier has had an poor season and two heavy injuries. No one cares, they just turn on him while lavishing praise on others who have also been shit.

I thought kwp was the next one to try since the other two were shit but yesterday he was awful too. So basically we need a new one!

Poor players can definitely bring down those around them. Have you ever played a game of football, genuinely wondering here

I captained my school, played for FC Moorings in Thamesmead from the age of 10 to 14, and played sunday league and for pub teams for 15 years, ....even played a five-a-side in goal, and kept a clean sheet....five-a-side. Clean Sheet.
So yes I have.

What you fail to realise is that poor players dont consistently finish top 3 in the PL.

We have top players, and then we have a level under. Some are playing like shit, but some of those players are the top bracket ones.

So if you yourself understood the game, you would know that if our seven arguably world class players were in their best form more often, and were more consistent, and productive in front of goal, and less sloppy at the back, then it really wouldnt matter that much if Dier has an off day.

However, Dier can play out of his skin, win every ball in the middle, distribute like Pirlo for a match, but if Kane, Son and Eriksen play like they did yesterday, why the living fuck do you think we will win the game.

Morning all,

I love Mauricio Pochettino, he is one of the best manager/coaches we have ever had, maybe the best to never win anything with us, there is a few issues that none of us can blame him for, lack of transfers being the main one, no matter how we polish this turd of no signings, its still a turd, some guys are tired and just not performing to their high standards and having at least two real quality players that would be first 11 players elsewhere is very much needed. Grealish would have been a huge plus for us minus his injuries, yes some of you will call me mad, fact is he is better than a couple of the guys that constantly play for us, Sissoko for one, yes he is playing well in spells but the guy is as likely to play like a donkey as he is to be man of the match. He is a solid player but he would not get into any of the top 6 teams.

Having said all that, was yesterday really about our players individually, or more about us just not being clinical, not up for it as much as the Dortmund game, surely anyone who watches football could see a huge difference between these two matches.

Poch does confuse me with his team choices at times, the formation too and the confidence he has in some players. Again, some of you may be shocked at my comments, I am just trying to analyse what was a shocking second half performance, now we need Utd and the Woolwich to draw to help keep us in the hunt.

Overall I am a Spurs fan who is really happy in the general direction we are heading, we have been on an upward trend since Poch came, that trend has given us all hope, all of us as Spurs fans whether we like each other or not have started to believe, that belief is hard to keep in check when you see the stadium we are building and so on, but at the moment we are flatlining, I am sure Poch will fix it and keep us in the top 4, that is essential because of the plan they have surely relies on that extra money.

Lets stay positive COYS.

He has stated time and again that he only wants to bring into the club players that can improve the team.

Far be from me to disagree with the manager but this statement is fundamentally flawed.

Last summer (before the World Cup, when we were going to do our business early!) we needed to bring in additional players to bolster the SQUAD. They didn't necessarily need to be 1st teamers but naturally needed to have potential to break into the first team.

As I've said countless times, you need to have a squad that will see you through suspensions, injuries and loss of form.

Our squad is unable to do that. Being in the quarters of the CL and third (just) in the PL is a testament to the team, however we're there despite our paper-thin squad, rather than because of it. If we had a deeper squad and an alternative to him, Eriksen would have been dropped three games ago. He would then need to fight for his position. I'll bet he'll be picked next game.

Last summer - arguably the greatest missed opportunity in our great clubs history.

All of our attackers in the first half and ingot the second half taking extra touches they simply didn’t need.. should have gone into the break 3-0 up and 4 by 60 mins. Not ruthless enough, we go punished. Three long weeks now to dwell on going to liverpool.

Don’t change a winning formula unless necessary.
We have just played a fucking blinder against a European giant.
3 weeks off after this one. So all guns blazing for the 3 points then a well earned break for the boys.
Same team as today if possible. If not, minimal rotation. Ease Dele back in if he’s ready as a sub.

Poch should have listened to ole Bolton
:freund:

Seething:walker-scream:

Mid table club at the end of a golden era.
Eriksen et al will leave in the summer. Fabian Schar will be our biggest signing.
Kane will be the only great player to stay, and he will go in summer 2020 to help us continue to finance the new stadium.
As fans, we have already commenced the expectations recalibration process. Let us not forget, we've gone from the title race to Europa League hopefuls in weeks. And YOU just keep sucking it up.

Eriksen et al will leave in the summer. Fabian Schar will be our biggest signing.
Kane will be the only great player to stay, and he will go in summer 2020 to help us continue to finance the new stadium.
As fans, we have already commenced the expectations recalibration process. Let us not forget, we've gone from the title race to Europa League hopefuls in weeks. And YOU just keep sucking it up.
Oh shut up

Liverpool change a few of their 11 every game

The only reason they don't change it more is there reserves are terrible

Just double checked:

Liverpool defensive line-ups and games played this season:

TAA - Gomez - VVD - Robertson (Played 9 games together) - W8, D1 L0, Cleansheets: 5
Milner - Matip - VVD - Robertson (Played 5 games together)- W3, D2, L0, Cleansheet; 3
TAA - Lovren - VVD - Robertson (Played 4 games together)- W3, D0, L1, Cleansheet; 3
TAA - Matip - VVD - Robertson (Played 3 games together) - W3, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 3
Gomez - Lovren - VVD - Robertson (Played 2 games together)- W2, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 2
Henderson - Matip - VVD - Robertson (Played 1 game together)- W0, D1, L0, Cleansheet; 0
TAA - Fabinho - VVD - Robertson (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 1
Milner - Lovren - VVD - Robertson (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 1
Clyne - Lovren - VVD - Robertson (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 0
Gomez - Matip - VVD - Moreno (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 0
TAA - Lovren - VVD - Moreno (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 0

Going into the season their starting back four was TAA/Gomez/VVD/Robertson but a mixture of Gomez and TAA getting injured meant Lovren got more games before his injury which has then seen Matip become the starting centre half alongside VVD.

As you can see by above, when they try and properly rotate with their shitter players at full back, they don't; tend to keep cleansheets. In both league games that their weaker left back has played (Moreno), they have failed to keep a cleansheet. Same with when they've played Clyne and even Henderson at right back. Though it seems they don't tend to have a weaker centre back pairing like we tend to have. VVD seems to martial that back four rather well, which I feel like Alderweireld would be able to if he wasn't played on the left side of defence to accommodate.

Tottenham defensive line-ups and games played this season:

Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Davies (Played 5 games together ) - W2, D0, L3, Cleansheet: 1
Trippier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 3 games together) - W2, D0, L1, Cleansheets: 1
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 3 games together) - W1, D1, L1, Cleansheets: 1
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 2 games together) - W1, D0, L1, Cleansheets: 0
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Rose (Played 2 game together) - W2, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 2
Trippier - Foyth - Alderweireld - Davies (Played 2 games together) - W2, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 2
Aurier - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheets: 0
Aurier - Foyth - Alderweireld - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 0
Aurier - Foyth - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W0, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0
Trippier - Foyth - Alderweireld - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 0
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 1
Trippier - Alderweireld - Davies - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 1
KWP - Foyth - Alderweireld - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 1
Trippier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W0, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0
Aurier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 0
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 1
Trippier - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 0
Aurier - Foyth - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W0, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0
KWP - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W0, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0

The defensive line-up we've played most has seen us lose 3 of the 5 games they have played with eachother. So many different line-ups though, that's it rather quite ridiculous.

What's noticeable is that we've played 3 at the back 7 times this season in the league and kept just 1 cleansheet.

Just double checked:

Liverpool defensive line-ups and games played this season:

TAA - Gomez - VVD - Robertson (Played 9 games together) - W8, D1 L0, Cleansheets: 5
Milner - Matip - VVD - Robertson (Played 5 games together)- W3, D2, L0, Cleansheet; 3
TAA - Lovren - VVD - Robertson (Played 4 games together)- W3, D0, L1, Cleansheet; 3
TAA - Matip - VVD - Robertson (Played 3 games together) - W3, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 3
Gomez - Lovren - VVD - Robertson (Played 2 games together)- W2, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 2
Henderson - Matip - VVD - Robertson (Played 1 game together)- W0, D1, L0, Cleansheet; 0
TAA - Fabinho - VVD - Robertson (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 1
Milner - Lovren - VVD - Robertson (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 1
Clyne - Lovren - VVD - Robertson (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 0
Gomez - Matip - VVD - Moreno (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 0
TAA - Lovren - VVD - Moreno (Played 1 game together)- W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet; 0

Going into the season their starting back four was TAA/Gomez/VVD/Robertson but a mixture of Gomez and TAA getting injured meant Lovren got more games before his injury which has then seen Matip become the starting centre half alongside VVD.

As you can see by above, when they try and properly rotate with their shitter players at full back, they don't; tend to keep cleansheets. In both league games that their weaker left back has played (Moreno), they have failed to keep a cleansheet. Same with when they've played Clyne and even Henderson at right back. Though it seems they don't tend to have a weaker centre back pairing like we tend to have. VVD seems to martial that back four rather well, which I feel like Alderweireld would be able to if he wasn't played on the left side of defence to accommodate.

Tottenham defensive line-ups and games played this season:

Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Davies (Played 5 games together ) - W2, D0, L3, Cleansheet: 1
Trippier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 3 games together) - W2, D0, L1, Cleansheets: 1
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 3 games together) - W1, D1, L1, Cleansheets: 1
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 2 games together) - W1, D0, L1, Cleansheets: 0
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Rose (Played 2 game together) - W2, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 2
Trippier - Foyth - Alderweireld - Davies (Played 2 games together) - W2, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 2
Aurier - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheets: 0
Aurier - Foyth - Alderweireld - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 0
Aurier - Foyth - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W0, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0
Trippier - Foyth - Alderweireld - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 0
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 1
Trippier - Alderweireld - Davies - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 1
KWP - Foyth - Alderweireld - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 1
Trippier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies (Played 1 game together) - W0, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0
Aurier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 0
Trippier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 1
Trippier - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W1, D0, L0, Cleansheet: 0
Aurier - Foyth - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W0, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0
KWP - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Rose (Played 1 game together) - W0, D0, L1, Cleansheet: 0

The defensive line-up we've played most has seen us lose 3 of the 5 games they have played with eachother. So many different line-ups though, that's it rather quite ridiculous.

What's noticeable is that we've played 3 at the back 7 times this season in the league and kept just 1 cleansheet.

They've just started vs Burnley. Guess what their defence looks like?

Playing musical chairs with your defence is a recipe for disaster.

We’re in the last 8 of the CL

Dreamland a few years ago and now expected of us

Back
Top Bottom