Southampton (A) 9th March - 1500 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We needed to be composed at key times today,we needed to dictate the tempo in the 2nd half and yes you are right we need a little more quality in the middle at times but I've noticed Christian doesn't go looking for the ball like he usually does.

We shot ourselves in the foot big time today. I've just seen their first goal as my stream conked out. How the hell can Danny Rose do what he did for their first? We really do kill all of our quality with needless mistakes. We were cruising, we weren't resolute enough when it was all hands on deck

I've got no issue with Eriksen, or Alli they pretty did what I expect them to do. Eriksen has once again seen more ball than Sissoko (and Alli for that matter) in both halves, and created quality chances that were wasted, that's his remit.

But Sissoko just isn't doing enough, 28 passes first half when things were tickety boo, 13 second half. Dier went from 43 first half to 19 second half. This was our midfield, and second half they just stopped playing, stopped wanting the ball, as ever, when the pressure's on. It kills us.

I never understood the Rose fan club. I guess he's a chippy fucker with pace and fans like those qualities, but he's never been much good at either end of the pitch. So wasteful in forward areas. That mistake today was diabolically stupid.

Interesting positions.

D1PiJyaXgAAyqdm

D1PiJyaXQAEizoq

It's funny but I thought that at the time, that I was sure the offence was much further out.

You can’t absolve Sissoko, you say "he's been great for us" but definitely not my definition of great. He's done his best, that's not the same.
To be fair to me i did say:
But we are in an awful circumstance this season and he has been great for us.
That is qualifying the point about his performances within the confines of the clubs constraints. Point being, relative to what he has to offer performance wise he is performing brilliantly...on the relative Sissoko scale. From an absolute persepective, which is the corner you are arguing, it is not enough. I not only concede that I wholeheartedly agree with it. But taht doesn't take us away from the reality of not having Modric and NDombele backed up by Busquets as an option on the team sheet. And in their inexplicable absence Moussa is doing a good job. To the point that his absence would be felt far more than most.

responsibility is squarely Pochettinos for not identifying our weaknesses and dealing with them in 4 years and each year it's become worse and has gone from an ailment, to the transplant donor list to almost deceased. We are actively now bypassing it for chunks of games.
If he had the financial ability to actually buy players and he didn't they yes he shoulders this.

When everyone was sucking each off at the start of the season, there were a couple of us saying that we are drastically outscoring our performances (and performance metrics), and over a season that's hard to do, it's starting to catch us up now.
I have never, ever, sucked one of these rotten forum cunts off. How very dare you BC. I leave that up to RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK :dembelelol:

Nope, wasn't on board with any performance this year. folks went crazy when we beat ManU up at OT but the performance was a shite and labored as any other. I, amongst others, said so and you get the same folks saying the same shit "can't yo be happy blah blah blah" when you point out the obvious. Things changed when Poch said the same shit. We have been garbage and yes it is mostly to do with no MF. FB situation is not helping anyone either.

And most inferential stats in footie are garbage and too young to really be relied upon. I prefer my eyes as they are older and I trust them more. You have non-football players determining whether a shot should be scored or not. So the stats folk don't understand football and football folks don't understand the stats. but if, as you say, there was agreement between the stats and the performances then that's more convincing.

We've now lost 9 games. That's the most we've lost since Poch's first season.
I take it that is not a good thing? But if you think about it we have only drawn 1 so every cloud...

People keep saying we're bottling things,
Unfortunately, Yup! That is the salient point out of all of this. This is about what i expected and haven't understood how we were in the position we were considering the team and performances. I mentioned in PM that I was hoping we went out of CL because I wanted to cement 3rd and maybe there was a chance of picking off Pool and City. Folks are gonna be up in arms about that but the BVB tie was bittersweet. We had the sweet and now we are sucking on the bitter. And considering the sweet can only be so sweet this year as we are not going to win the league and really unlikely to win CL things can't get much sweeter but they can get a hell of a lot more bitter.

This club could be coached by Jesus Christ and Barba Streisand and we’d still win sweet fuck all. As long as Levy and Lewis are running this club, we will never win anything because they refuse to spend. We’re just an asset to them. The stadium, asset. Kane, asset. Dele, asset. NFL franchise, soaring ticket prices. Making a profit every window. ENIC operating out of a tax haven. Lewis, the bloke that broke the bank of Britain, great. Look, they’re obviously great businessmen, but if you honestly think changing ANOTHER coach is going to bring glory to THFC, you need to wake up. We’re the laughing stock of the premier league. We ALWAYS bottle it. I truly feel sorry for the players. Honestly, why would a top footballer want to come to Spurs? Low wages. No players coming in. We sell to buy. Our best players are always sold on to bigger clubs. We haven’t won a trophy since the carling cup over 10 years ago. We’ve got a coach saying we wont win anything for another 10 years. We already know how the club operates. Eventually when the hype dies down, we’ll sell our best players, buy another 7+ players with the money, keep with them for the next 5-6 years in the hope some of them come good, then eventually we sell the ones that do become great talents and repeat the process. Dont believe me? Look at the transfer windows. A big cycle was in 2008. Then 2013 under AVB. The next one will be when we sell Kane.

Not buying anyone this season was a disgrace. Chelsea were rebuilding. Woolwich were rebuilding. Pochettino has been at the club for a long time now. More established than any of the other coaches of the top 6. We should be the strongest club in the PL right now. Like I keep saying, if Spurs had bought 2-3 quality players this season we’d be top of the league. Instead we’re about to bomb out of top 4 AGAIN. And its all because the owners are only interested in turning profits and reaching the Champions League for the TV money. That’s where Spurs make their money, all while maintaining a shoe string budget. Even Wolves managed to bring in Moutinho ffs.

as for Pochettino, he certainly wont get the sack from Levy. Poch is the perfect yes man. Sure, Poch is a great coach and manager, maybe the best in world football at the moment. But he’s very passive and wont question or demand money. He knows his place as such. And if you’re poch, you’re not too worried anyway because youll soon be managing the likes of Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Spurs have peaked as a club. It’s really frustrating because we are so close to glory but the owners dont want to push for titles. They dont want to make that extra push. And its a shame because we’ve had so many wasted opportunities. We’ve nearly been there. We’ve come close, but the reluctancy to spend has been our downfall, and ultimately our fading as the season comes to crunch time. We’ve peaked. Soon players will get restless and older.

Iv fucking rambled on long enough. All I know is the goal is champions league football on a shoe string budget for TV money. Theres certainly no ambition to win titles. Iv already accepted this fate and moved on with my life. Just being a realist.

Interesting positions.

D1PiJyaXgAAyqdm

D1PiJyaXQAEizoq

Just watched this back, 100% the foul is committed nowhere near where they score from. It all evens itself out I guess but that's absolutely insane how many yards he's gained with no official noticing at such a crunch time.

It should have been a red for KWP, but equally it should have been a free kick nowhere near where they scored from. How do so many of these things evade officials during the game???

Just watched this back, 100% the foul is committed nowhere near where they score from. It all evens itself out I guess but that's absolutely insane how many yards he's gained with no official noticing at such a crunch time.

It should have been a red for KWP, but equally it should have been a free kick nowhere near where they scored from. How do so many of these things evade officials during the game???

To be fair, no free kick is taken in the correct place.

But near on 12 yards closer to goal is a bit fucked.

To be fair, no free kick is taken in the correct place.

But near on 12 yards closer to goal is a bit fucked.

It's poor refereeing to let a player squeeze so many yards for such a crucial kick. Regardless we put ourselves in the situation after cruising but Christ that's such an advantage I honestly can't believe none of our players or anyone in the media hasn't highlighted it. Crazy how so much drama comes into the game

I honestly can't believe none of our players or anyone in the media hasn't highlighted it. Crazy how so much drama comes into the game
It's even more disappointing that nobody complained before he actually took the fee krick, especially when you know or at least should know that they've got a great free kick taker in their team, those 10 yards could make all the difference.

The idea that Levy will sack Poch if we finish 5th or 6th is laughable. If we finish finish 5th or 6th some of you may get your wish because I feel that Poch may just leave for Madrid and take Eriksen and Toby with him. Let’s see how happy we all are when Levy replaces them with the likes of Eddie Howe, Ward-Prowse and Nathan Ake.

...ditch the fucking diamond and stop trying to make Eriksen defend - he can't/won't...
...get some proper defensive midfielders to rotate with Dier and Sissoko (Wanyama is broken and Winks doesn't fit a 4-2-3-1 system)...maybe Amos will come good...eventually...
COYS

We need to refresh the squad badly. 5 or 6 new faces is badly needed. Away with the lamelas, llorentes, trippiers and loads of others. No top team can keep the same exact squad every year and evolve.
We've fucked up massively. So many holes in our squad that should have been addressed years ago. No way we can bring in so many new players this summer and integrate them into the squad. Yet another fucking season of transition heading our way, wasting another precious year of our key players. Fucking sick of it

Could tell from the moment the second half started that we were going to lose. It just keeps repeating the cycle. We can’t seem to get over that hump of believing in ourselves.

Sure there are people I want out of the team, but we still should have won that game. Pretty poor display from all that were involved today.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room at half time.
The transformation between halves was just unbelievable.

Most here I think would agree we could have been 2 or 3 ahead by the break. I was actually inspired by the first 45. Kept thinking if we keep this up we could put a massive score on them.

Same players, totally different mindset. Piss poor. Gutted..

Last edited:
Finishing 5-6th looks very realistic at this point. Not sure anyone should be surprised given the lack of investment in the squad. At least the new stadium has a fucking cheese room

Some of you sad fuckers need to go support City or anyone else who buys a championship. Maybe then you won’t be sick and tired of supporting such a shit club, with shit coaches, and shit players.

I'm going to this one. My first visit to St Mary's, as had only been to the Dell in the past.
Obviously, the three points are the be-all and the end-all. Can't believe the players are not aware of that, so no taking it easy and let's go for the jugular.
I'm still as nervous as a new born kitten, though :)
Forget top 4 or CL, or any of it. To perform like that when Mrs. P has made the trip down is criminal.

We've fucked up massively. So many holes in our squad that should have been addressed years ago. No way we can bring in so many new players this summer and integrate them into the squad. Yet another fucking season of transition heading our way, wasting another precious year of our key players. Fucking sick of it
We have to splash the cash. No other way around it

Could tell from the moment the second half started that we were going to lose. It just keeps repeating the cycle. We can’t seem to get over that hump of believing in ourselves.

Sure there are people I want out of the team, but we still should have won that game. Pretty poor display from all that were involved today.

I was extremely worried when our game plan appeared to be to sit back and hang on to a 1:0 lead for 45 minutes while they relentlessly attacked us. Every time we've done that this season it has been a similar disaster. No idea why we approached it that way, it was pretty likely that this would end up happening.

Back
Top Bottom