Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I believe Son is least effective when we play 3 at the back with Kane as the main striker. Looking back at some of the games we have won with both playing, it has been 4 at the back, with Son, Eriksen and Dele in behind rotating positions.

For the rest of the season, when Dele is back I’d prefer us to go back to 4-2-3-1. We’ve played our best football playing that formation this season.

Since 16/17 (when we started predominantly playing 3 at the back)

Sons record with 3 at the back:

Played: 29
Goals: 15
Assists: 8
Goal or assist every 113 minutes.

Sons record with 4 at the back:

Played: 102
Goals: 38
Assists: 24
Goal or assist every 148 minutes.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too surprised in a year or two Son by some posters here became the player who failed and fucked up yet another chase for the title in 18-19 citing some mysterious "purple patch" I think Tottie had come up for Son some time ago here. How about a Yellow patch he seems to wear when he plays Dortmund. Would it become a rainbow patch when he go on a double patch? Wait how about his smilie patch? Come on, can't you really see what helps him go or not go?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too surprised in a year or two Son by some posters here became the player who failed and fucked up yet another chase for the title in 18-19 citing some mysterious "purple patch" I think Tottie had come up for Son some time ago here. How about a Yellow patch he seems to wear when he plays Dortmund. Would it become a rainbow patch when he go on a double patch? Wait how about his smilie patch? Come on, can't you really see what helps him go or not go?
..what?

I've said from the very beginning that Son is a very hot and cold player. Maybe it's luck, maybe it's his nerve, but his periods of good form have coincided with Kane's absences the past couple seasons. That's not to say that he can't play well with Kane because we've all seen that he can, but he seems to really turn it up when Kane's not on the field. From what I've seen the past couple games it's been a combination of them getting in each other's way, Kane not yet at full fitness and Son (as well as Eriksen it seems) hitting the brick wall of fatigue.

Christ. As if the rest of the team have been performing well except him.

If Salah was playing for us, most of you lot would be asking for his head already.

Disagreeing about what Totti? Show up and waffle on about players streakiness and purple patches all you want all day long. If we had good enough rotation playerd to step up we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Every player goes in and out of form that's why we have to bring in players who can compete with starting players or at the very least who are capable of making an impact when subbed on. Same with Eriksen. Why constantly moaning about our own players that they don't play up to their standards all season long when the problem lies with our quality?? This is the only forum by the looks of it that has a herd of you going after individual players when the team as a whole is failing.

I am honestly stick of you talking about purple patches and bollocks like that. Nonsense when other clubs rely on the likes of Hazard and Salah who have been underforming longer and still don't get called out by more people as being streaky but we do that to our own players (like Eriksen and Son). If they were capable of showing up all the time despite the fact the rest of the team were shambolic they would be the next Messi.

Last edited:
Disagreeing about what Totti? Show up and waffle on about players streakiness and purple patches all you want all day long. If we had good enough rotation playerd to step up we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Every player goes in and out of form that's why we have to bring in players who can compete with starting players or at the very least who are capable of making an impact when subbed on. Same with Eriksen. Why constantly moaning about our own players that they don't play up to their standards all season long when the problem lies with our quality?? This is the only forum by the looks of it that has a herd of you going after individual players when the team as a whole is failing.

I am honestly stick of you talking about purple patches and bollocks like that. Nonsense when other clubs rely on the likes of Hazard and Salah who have been underforming longer and still don't get called out by more people as being streaky but we do that to our own players (like Eriksen and Son). If they were capable of showing up all the time despite the fact the rest of the team were shambolic they would be the next Messi.
I half agree with you. I don’t really like the “purple patch” talk, because as you said, Son would be on Messi/Ronaldo level then, if he was “consistent”.

But I will say, when Son is off his game, he barely looks like a footballer at times. Awful touches, misplaced passes, and seems to get caught off a whole bunch. Not praising Hazard/Salad or anything but they never seems to be that lacklustre when they’re not in form.

Imo, when all three are in form, Son is just as good but when off-form, Son is levels below. Son needs to improve the middle ground in his game.

I half agree with you. I don’t really like the “purple patch” talk, because as you said, Son would be on Messi/Ronaldo level then, if he was “consistent”.

But I will say, when Son is off his game, he barely looks like a footballer at times. Awful touches, misplaced passes, and seems to get caught off a whole bunch. Not praising Hazard/Salad or anything but they never seems to be that lacklustre when they’re not in form.

Imo, when all three are in form, Son is just as good but when off-form, Son is levels below. Son needs to improve the middle ground in his game.

I watched the Merseyside derby a couple of days ago and Salah's touch was really bad, worse than even Son's (when he's off form). Balls flew off him every which way that Twitter was flooded with clips of his crappy touches.

It's not exactly unheard of.

This has always been part of football - players going in and out of form for one reason or another.

We don't also have a whole of info on what's really going on. We don't know if Eriksen is still suffering from the abdomen injury as the rumors say or if Son's plantar fasciitis is flaring up again (I saw him grabbing his foot during the open training session). Ben Davies just said during the pre-match conference that he has been playing with the groin injury for a year. We've also been playing our key players non-stop. Especially since Eriksen and Son have stayed injury-free, we relied on them a lot. They also might be battling mental fatigue if not physical.

The possibilities are endless. Players are all human.

Bollocks like purple patches irritate me because buttknobs who came up with this probably think they nailed it by giving a special term for it as if Son is the first and only player to be off form or something.

Last edited:
Purple patch or no patch start with getting the ball. Hard to achieve anything much when you are not getting the ball like Sonnys first year here or in the last a few games when teammates like Rose slobber balls all over the field causing easilymore than 10 KM of collective team run and energy getting back for defense. Kanes pass always helps too but unlike earlier in the season before his injury it has been abysmal for some reason since his rush return. So before some of you ask Sonny why he couldn't keep his energetic run or form after him running thousands of KM all season, please grow some muscle for your eyes or allocate some from your arms

Last edited:
I watched the Merseyside derby a couple of days ago and Salah's touch was really bad, worse than even Son's (when he's off form). Balls flew off him every which way that Twitter was flooded with clips of him losing his ball with a crappy touch.

It's not exactly unheard of.

This has always been part of football - players going in and out of form for one reason or another. That's why the likes of Fergie built a rotation system many, many years ago to avoid ending up with players all out of form towards the end of a season.

We don't have a whole of info on what's really going on. We don't know if Eriksen is still suffering from the abdomen injury as the rumors say or if Son's plantar fasciitis is flaring up again (I saw him grabbing his foot during the open training session). Ben Davies just said during the pre-match conference that he has been playing with the groin injury for a year. We've also been playing our key players non-stop. Especially since Eriksen and Son have stayed injury-free, we relied on them a lot. They also might be battling mental fatigue if not physical.

The possibilities are endless. Players are all human.

Bollocks like purple patches irritate me because buttknobs who came up with this probably think they nailed it by giving a special term for it as if Son is the first and only player to be off form or something.

Chill.... As a term, Purple Patch literally refers to a period of exceptional form. It's a well worn turn of phrase - It hasn't been concocted for Sonny.

What the hell are you so riled by?

Some players are slave to form more than others...

Defoe being another before him.

Chill.... As a term, Purple Patch literally refers to a period of exceptional form. It's a well worn turn of phrase - It hasn't been concocted for Sonny.

What the hell are you so riled by?

Some players are slave to form more than others...

Defoe being another before him.

Then why singling him out when the whole team is underforming? Correct me if I am wrong, but folks here seem to be quite obsessed with a couple of players for ridiculous reasons.

According to many here, Eriksen's head is now in Madrid, Son is streaky that's why he didn't perform well last 3 games, Lamela is an important player no matter what, etc.

I am just letting it all out. Please feel free to ignore me.

Last edited:
Then why singling him out when the whole team is underforming? Correct me if I am wrong, but folks here seem to be quite obsessed with a couple of players for ridiculous reasons.

According to many here, Eriksen's head is now in Madrid, Son is streaky that's why he didn't perform well last 3 games, Lamela is an important player no matter what, etc.

I am just letting all out. Please feel free to ignore me.

They usually go on to every player involved and do it. So Sonny is not really alone here. You are probably shocked because you are new. It is just that sometimes it gets excessive and tiresome but even that I think I am getting used to. You should go look around some more lol. Welcome, enjoy the ride mate.

They usually go on to every player involved and do it. So Sonny is not really alone here. You are probably shocked because you are new. It is just that sometimes it gets excessive and tiresome but even that I think I am getting used to. You should go look around some more lol. Welcome, enjoy the ride mate.

Cheers.

According to many here, Eriksen's head is now in Madrid, Son is streaky that's why he didn't perform well last 3 games, Lamela is an important player no matter what etc
I am just letting all out. Please feel free to ignore me.

Do you not understand that the degree that his level drops/has dropped is what makes it noteworthy...? (Also see Eriksen.)

Has anyone said that they want rid of Sonny? (See Lamela)

Nope.

...I smell fan-boy.

The completely lack of a real midfield probably hurts Sonny more than most players as he doesn't seem to play as well with just long balls from the back or when our wingbacks overlap with him too much (especially when it's Trippier).

Do you not understand that the degree that his level drops/has dropped is what makes it noteworthy...? (Also see Eriksen.)

Has anyone said that they want rid of Sonny? (See Lamela)

Nope.

...I smell fan-boy.

Hmmm. A lot of you here act quite defensively whenever challenged, throwing words like fanboy and fangirl. Must be something people here are quite afraid of being accused of. As if that's any news to anyone. Everyone has their own favorites. Obviously certain players are more well-liked than others and vice versa which is just part of human nature.

I've made very clear points why I don't like some of what has been being said about certain players (see my reply to KEDS) in which I already acknowledged that I understand players go in and out of form. (which was also precisely point of my post.) You keep missing my points unfortinately.

I am just genuinely tired of people hasing out the same arguments about players without any basis or actual information here. Using stats to make an argument about who's better or worse. Who's streaky and whose head is in Madrid. Oh, let's not forget Poch's leaving too.

I guess that's the nature of forums but this forum in particular seems more extreme in that a majority of you behave like half of the shit that's been talked about here has any basis in reality or truth. There are certain users here who liberally use stats to slag off players which is seen to be intelligent.

I have browsed through other forums and haven't seen a single place where its users hold such strong belief that Eriksen is deliberately underperforming or Son is being streaky again when he's been performing well up to this point. You can't even wait to see how he does in this match to draw that conclusion again.

Anyways I am not wasting any more of time. Losing interest.

Hmmm. A lot of you here act quite defensively whenever challenged, throwing words like fanboy and fangirl. Must be something people here are quite afraid of being accused of. As if that's any news to anyone. Everyone has their own favorites. Obviously certain players are more well-liked than others and vice versa which is just part of human nature.

I've made very clear points why I don't like some of what has been being said about certain players (see my reply to KEDS) in which I already acknowledged that I understand players go in and out of form. (which was also precisely point of my post.) You keep missing my points unfortinately.

I am just genuinely tired of people hasing out the same arguments about players without any basis or actual information here. Using stats to make an argument about who's better or worse. Who's streaky and whose head is in Madrid. Oh, let's not forget Poch's leaving too.

I guess that's the nature of forums but this forum in particular seems more extreme in that a majority of you behave like half of the shit that's been talked about here has any basis in reality or truth. There are certain users here who liberally use stats to slag off players which is seen to be intelligent.

I have browsed through other forums and haven't seen a single place where its users hold such strong belief that Eriksen is deliberately underperforming or Son is being streaky again when he's been performing well up to this point. You can't even wait to see how he does in this match to draw that conclusion again.

Anyways I am not wasting any more of time. Losing interest.

Ya talking shite mate.

Least of all do i feel "challenged".

Back
Top Bottom