Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I still think he’d benefit more if he had someone like Dier or Wanyama alongside and played a bit further forward, like the more positive pivot in a 4-2-3-1.

“I advise all people to watch the [winning goal] and how it started,” Pochettino told Sky Sports. “He recovered the ball in a very deep position, like a full-back, and then how he ran with great determination to score, it was a fantastic example for the players.

“We were talking in the last few weeks that it’s something he needs to improve – arriving in the opponent’s box and trying to score more goals.

“With his quality, how he plays, in possession he needs to add and improve those two different areas in his game without the ball, be more aggressive – he’s doing that and I’m so happy – and of course trying to score more goals, because always for a midfielder if you add goals, like (Ivan) Rakitic and (Luka) Modric, you start to think that you’re a top, top player.”

Because of the stupid way this site works I could receive another ban because people don't agree with me. I believe Winks is one of our real weak points. It's my belief each player has to offer a great strength. Winks doesn't make goals, he doesn't score goals, he isn't a defensive mid-fielder, and he isn't a play maker. He can hold the ball up, and he has the energy to run around a lot and pass the ball sideways and backwards. Skip is the same, Jamie O'Hara was the same, Ryan mason was the same, Bentaleb was the same, and going back far enough Steven Clemence was the same. That doesn't make him a bad player, but he certainly isn't a top four side player. I honestly and genuinely believe that if he wasn't a home grown player, Spurs supporters would have a totally different opinion of him. You can all go back and pick out good things he has done, but it is my opinion his overall offering to the side is not good enough.

Genuinely think most of the idiots who don't rate Winks are the same morons who didn't rate Kane because he looked lumbered.

If you can't see what Winks does for this team (ALL ALONE!), then I don't think football or this new Tottenham team are for you.

It's the same people who didn't appreciate Carrick until he left and won every trophy possible and the same people who thought we wouldn't miss Modric.

Last edited:
Because of the stupid way this site works I could receive another ban because people don't agree with me. I believe Winks is one of our real weak points. It's my belief each player has to offer a great strength. Winks doesn't make goals, he doesn't score goals, he isn't a defensive mid-fielder, and he isn't a play maker. He can hold the ball up, and he has the energy to run around a lot and pass the ball sideways and backwards. Skip is the same, Jamie O'Hara was the same, Ryan mason was the same, Bentaleb was the same, and going back far enough Steven Clemence was the same. That doesn't make him a bad player, but he certainly isn't a top four side player. I honestly and genuinely believe that if he wasn't a home grown player, Spurs supporters would have a totally different opinion of him. You can all go back and pick out good things he has done, but it is my opinion his overall offering to the side is not good enough.
Jorginho does what? Busquets? Henderson? Saul? Koke? Witsel? Verratti?

Some of the names.. OFC most of them are better than Winks, but you don't understand football if you think it's all about goals, assists or rough tackles typical DM does.

Genuinely think most of the idiots who don't rate Winks are the same morons who didn't rate Kane because he looked lumbered.

If you can't see what Winks does for this team (ALL ALONE!), then I don't think football or this new Tottenham team are for you.

It's the same people who didn't appreciate Carrick until he left and won every trophy possible and the same people who thought we wouldn't miss Modric.

At the time I didn't rate Carrick at the time when he played for us but I was in my early twenties and didn't appreciate the game as much as I do now. Winks keeps our possession game ticking over at a quicker pace due to his ability to release the ball quickly and with tempo. His energy takes others games up a level as they need to keep pace with it. He brings more than just what the numbers demonstrate.

Personally I prefer this kind of player to a fast winger that loses everything he is when his legs go. I'm not saying Winks is vastly intelligent but I'd rather a player like him that has close control, patience and intricate levels than a big old zippy one on the wing that relies on athleticism to dominate.

Clever, busy little goer is our Winksy, nice tidy and is growing

At the time I didn't rate Carrick but when he played for us I was in my early twenties and didn't appreciate the game as much as I do now. Winks keeps our possession game ticking over at a quicker pace due to his ability to release the ball quickly and with tempo. His energy takes others games up a level as they need to keep pace with it. He brings more than just what the numbers demonstrate.

Personally I prefer this kind of player to a fast winger that loses everything he is when his legs go. I'm not saying Winks is vastly intelligent but I'd rather a player like him that has close control, patience and intricate levels than a big old zippy one on the wing that relies on athleticism to dominate.

Clever, busy little goer is our Winksy, nice tidy and is growing

People like Carrick and Winks are NEVER appreciated unless they are in teams winning things (Because it's hard to dismiss a players role when he's playing for a team winning things consistently). Simple as that. A shame really, but some people like to expect things from players who aren't there to meet their expectations.

Winks is hamstrung by the fact he has zero support in midfield and full backs who get a nosebleed whenever they cross the half way line. Yet he manages to control the majority of the games he plays, keeps possession in our hands and has received praise for doing so.

This season in his role, he isn't there to score goals. He isn't even there to assist. He's there to take the ball from the defenders and distribute it to the runner in the team (Sissoko) or the more creative player (Eriksen). Simple as that. Why people complain about a player doing his job is beyond me.

But again, this is the same fanbase who wanted Poch out in his first season, thought Bale would never make it. Didn't rate Kane. Didn't rate Carrick. Thought we wouldn't miss Modric and would have been happy to see Dembele sold after his first season with Poch.

So really, the fanbase mostly know sweet fuck all. Either clouded by bias or don't really understand a game of football to appreciate certain players. I'll be happy to listen to Poch and trust exactly what he picks and who he picks in some of the clubs biggest games in it's history.

People like Carrick and Winks are NEVER appreciated unless they are in teams winning things (Because it's hard to dismiss a players role when he's playing for a team winning things consistently). Simple as that. A shame really, but some people like to expect things from players who aren't there to meet their expectations.

Winks is hamstrung by the fact he has zero support in midfield and full backs who get a nosebleed whenever they cross the half way line. Yet he manages to control the majority of the games he plays, keeps possession in our hands and has received praise for doing so.

This season in his role, he isn't there to score goals. He isn't even there to assist. He's there to take the ball from the defenders and distribute it to the runner in the team (Sissoko) or the more creative player (Eriksen). Simple as that. Why people complain about a player doing his job is beyond me.

He's had a great season. Unfortunately people want Roy of the Rovers type players as all that matters is glory and goals.

The reason this country has suffered so much is because the education levels in this country regarding how football should be played and how to make space for teammates etc has until recently been non existent. Even at grassroots it was always give it to the fast kid and he will score. Professional level a player is given instructions he needs to carry out and let's be honest, anyone who can't see his game has been limited due to Dembele, Dier & Wanyama missing 20 games each this season really isn't a person worth debating things with.

Winks has had 3 seasons as a Spurs player. 2 of those seasons he got big injuries and this one he's been played out of position somewhat for the greater good of the team. Not one full season to date for him to be what he is in a Spurs shirt yet people write him off. I shouldn't be surprised, these are the same people willing to write Skipp off after seeing him play one half of football for us. They're no better than the ranting parents we see on the touchline at Sunday league games

He's had a great season. Unfortunately people want Roy of the Rovers type players as all that matters is glory and goals.

The reason this country has suffered so much is because the education levels in this country regarding how football should be played and how to make space for teammates etc has until recently been non existent. Even at grassroots it was always give it to the fast kid and he will score. Professional level a player is given instructions he needs to carry out and let's be honest, anyone who can't see his game has been limited due to Dembele, Dier & Wanyama missing 20 games each this season really isn't a person worth debating things with.

Winks has had 3 seasons as a Spurs player. 2 of those seasons he got big injuries and this one he's been played out of position somewhat for the greater good of the team. Not one full season to date for him to be what he is in a Spurs shirt yet people write him off. I shouldn't be surprised, these are the same people willing to write Skipp off after seeing him play one half of football for us. They're no better than the ranting parents we see on the touchline at Sunday league games

Good comparison really with regards to the ranting parents on the touchline.

Football in this country has always been brought up around physicality over skill. If you're not built like a brick shit house at 20 years old, you're "lightweight" - if you pass the ball to keep possession as opposed to bursting through the middle with power you're "not brave enough" or a "sideways passer" - a shame but that's been the thought process for decades. Also a big reason as to why we haven't won anything in 5 decades.

For fuck sake, there's a debate on whether Gerrard or Lampard are better than Scholes ffs - none of them are fit to lace his boots. He CONTROLLED midfield for the most dominant team in the country for over a decade. But surprise surprise, Lampard and Gerrard scored more goals so they must have been better.

I never knew you could get banned for mad ideas? He isn't a goalkeeper either.

You missed out Tom Carroll!

Skipp is 18.

Good comparison really with regards to the ranting parents on the touchline.

Football in this country has always been brought up around physicality over skill. If you're not built like a brick shit house at 20 years old, you're "lightweight" - if you pass the ball to keep possession as opposed to bursting through the middle with power you're "not brave enough" or a "sideways passer" - a shame but that's been the thought process for decades. Also a big reason as to why we haven't won anything in 5 decades.

For fuck sake, there's a debate on whether Gerrard or Lampard are better than Scholes ffs - none of them are fit to lace his boots. He CONTROLLED midfield for the most dominant team in the country for over a decade. But surprise surprise, Lampard and Gerrard scored more goals so they must have been better.

Harry Winks - Stats 18/19

Up until this season Winks from what I can see had only completed a full 90 minutes 18 times with our first team. 18 full 90 minute matches before this season where he's largely been asked to play a vastly different role to what he should be due to injuries etc. Yes he's 23 but we simply have to give him time and a genuine chance to gain that much needed experience in the right areas of the pitch in order to grow

Edit. I've just checked. Up until the beginning of this season Winks had completed a full 90 minutes for us in the Premier League 7 times. 2 full 90 minutes his first season, 5 last season. How people don't think there is room for him to improve I genuinely don't know.

Back
Top Bottom