Mike Dean

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes absolutely, and I spend a chunk of my time winding my kids up, then teaching them to just hum and ignore things, as my Dad to me. I however have a real problem with people abusing their position.

I like seeing the mighty fall, perhaps a trait that is shared by many of our fans. Dean, whilst not mighty would be a good one to tumble...
But, for what exactly? Waiving a yellow card in a strange manner? Congratulating himself (I this is what I believe he did) when he allowed play to continue when Dembele scored? For having a funny stare? This is ultimately what it would boil down to.

We will never know what he said to Poch until Poch retires and writes a book or maybe Dean does. If it was serious then I'm absolutely certain that Poch would report it, he isn't so can only take from that that it wasn't serious. Cunty? Probably but still feel that Poch got more out of this that is being let on. All the focus is on this and not how shit our players were. Poch showed a bit of fight (wrongly or rightly) to his players, certainly more than what the players delivered on the pitch. And finally, what if he's also laid down a marker for Dean in the future? WIll the FA think best to lay low for a while and not assign him to another Spurs game for another couple of months???

If what Poch has done, means that Mike 'Hunt' Dean doesn't ref another Spurs game fir a few months... then the bloke is a tactical GENIUS!
:pochsmirk:

I would be over the moon if Dean was ref for NLD on Saturday.. he is aware of the accusations and would give us everything, the same as when he was accused of being a spurs fan he gave us nothing.

He is that stupid and would be the best thing for us on our next game..

Sometimes I think it would be a good idea if the ref had to come out after a game and explain to the world (press) why they made some of the shite decisions they made during the game - much like when managers have to come out and explain their shortcomings.

At the moment they are untouchable - if they had to explain some of the more "bizarre" decisions and also have it highlighted to them if they had made some howlers, it might just concentrate the mind a bit more.

A ref should be there to ref..... He should not be there to be pally to the players or try to have a joke with the managers. If anything a ref should remain aloof and detached from anyone except the other officials.

A couple of years ago Dean gave us some good decisions and got accused of supporting us. He then went on a mission of putting that record right by giving the opposition all the decisions. Strangely I was not too disappointed with him Saturday. We gave away several corners and should deal with them better. Getting a bad decision like this should not be a major mistake and it was our fault we allowed them to score from it. Our goal, even while Kane was running through to score I was expecting the game to be taken back but we got a good decision there.
The only other major decision was the possible sending off of a Burnley player. Dean is aware of being on 99 red cards and I think he wants his 100 th to be absolutely no doubt as it will get a lot of media comment. Not even sure that had he given a red card that we would have gone on to win.
When Dean Ref's us next, how will he react. Difficult to know if he will hold a grudge or simply think he has finally put to bed the claim he supports us.

The whole 'he wants the 100th red to be a high calibre player is such utter bollocks. If that was the case he would have sent off Pogba vs us but let's ignore those facts. Let's also ignore the fact that the bad decisions he made were more against Burnley than us (sending off Foyth and the foul throw vs Bardsley sending off as the lino gave the corner not Dean).

Last edited:
The whole 'he wants the 100th red to be a high calibre player is such utter bollocks. If that was the case he would have sent if Pogba vs us but let's ignore those facts. Let's also ignore the fact that the bad decisions he made were more against Burnley than us (sending off Foyth and the foul throw vs Bardsley sending off as the lino have the corner not Dean).

Why would Foyth get sent off when Pogba didnt

I don't think Dean had a bad game on Saturday to be honest.

But I 100% believe he said something to wind up Poch. He never reacts to officials and didn't blame Dean for any of the in-game decisions, it was purely the comments at the final whistle that triggered things.

Dean is one of these officials that loves the limelight. He loves the celebrity status he has and the overall power that being an official holds.

The FA need to change their approach and stop protecting every referee. If someone makes a mistake, admit that a mistake was made. Give ref's the opportunity to explain their decisions after a game. In this instance, let the world know what went on instead of Dean being silenced and Poch being charged.

Referees would have a lot more respect if they were given the chance to explain decisions in my opinion.

The whole 'he wants the 100th red to be a high calibre player is such utter bollocks. If that was the case he would have sent off Pogba vs us but let's ignore those facts. Let's also ignore the fact that the bad decisions he made were more against Burnley than us (sending off Foyth and the foul throw vs Bardsley sending off as the lino gave the corner not Dean).
Agree with this but no way was Foyth's a red card, there was nothing reckless about his attempt to tackle, in fact quite the opposite as he clearly pulled out and his legs were even bent beneath him, it was a yellow though as he made no attempt to play the ball.

As for the corner, whilst clearly it came off a Burnley player last, it was one of those situations where both Dean and the lino couldn't see the ball, both of them blindsided. There was only one indication that the ball came off the Burnley player and that was the direction the ball travelled in i.e. away from him. As i'm not a ref and have therefore like the most of us never read the laws of the game, I don't know what is the correct thing here, give a drop ball? flip a coin? Guess? or give it to the attacking player?

Agree with this but no way was Foyth's a red card, there was nothing reckless about his attempt to tackle, in fact quite the opposite as he clearly pulled out and his legs were even bent beneath him, it was a yellow though as he made no attempt to play the ball.

As for the corner, whilst clearly it came off a Burnley player last, it was one of those situations where both Dean and the lino couldn't see the ball, both of them blindsided. There was only one indication that the ball came off the Burnley player and that was the direction the ball travelled in i.e. away from him. As i'm not a ref and have therefore like the most of us never read the laws of the game, I don't know what is the correct thing here, give a drop ball? flip a coin? Guess? or give it to the attacking player?
The correct decision was to award a penalty to Tottenham, for the home side having the ugliest supporters in the known universe.
And to send off the linesman.

There was only one indication that the ball came off the Burnley player and that was the direction the ball travelled in i.e. away from him.?
Let's break down his potential thought process...

Not sure who that went off. :pochfacepalm:
Well by the direction the ball went I'd assume it went off Burnley. :sonhmm:
Let's give Burnely a corner! :sonpoint:

Back
Top Bottom