Mike Dean

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the old saying goes "a good referee is one that goes unnoticed ".
Whenever Dean officiates, the whole world and his dog notices!
I'd say the whole world wants to take notice. Every one of his mannerisms is a meme. His next game the media will talk about he's on 99 red cards, the next one will make it 100, they've been saying this every game since his 99th red, it will get said again, again, again, again, again until he hands out his 100th, then that WILL BE MASSIVE and everyone will say what a cunt he is for handing out 100 red cards. Then his 101st will 'break new levels" of shitness.

Look, I'm human this means you react/judge based not just on what someone does but how they do it but everything that surrounds him is utter ridiculous. Look at the origins of the thread, the first post, now look. Fans being pricks basically. In fact, since this first post, how's things turned out subsequently?

Poch's rant at the end of the game was him deliberately making a calculated scene:
a) He's probably taking the heat off the team's performance, doing a Mourinho making it about him and not how shit we were. Well done Poch, great management!!
b) Poch didn't like what he saw from the players on Sat, he said Burnley were more aggressive than us, that's got to hurt, this is Poch showing aggression the only way a manager can, he showing the team what he didn't see from them. Great management Poch!
c) As a team, we've improved our snide massively, become a hard team to beat, prepared to mix it, not back down, play the dark arts to gain advantage BUT Poch has criticised "us" which includes him on off the field antics (he said this and suggested that we should be more like Juve after the Juve game), this is him living those words. This is what Mourinho and Fergie (and Wenger) did for years. Moan, scream, be an utter pain in the arse for the officials, don't give them a moment to relax or breath, pick up on every single error they make. This is what he is now doing, he did it earlier in the season with Oliver too. This is what it looks like. Great management Poch!

Last edited:
I reckon it was a bit more than 'bad luck' misheard. Especially considering how incensed our coaching staff became.

None of who (or is it whom) have English as first language.

Could any of us accurately spot nuances of tone, commiseration, mis-pronunciation, irony, congratulations, double-negatives etc etc in Spanish? Add to this a charged atmosphere, emotions, loss of the game, cameras in your face, Burnley players earwigging.

The manager should have bitten his tongue (as he's done many times before) and walked away. I don't want him to be judged alongside, Klopp, Ferguson and all the other 'hot-head' managers who inevitable get a meaningless fine and then carry on as before. He's better than that.

Could any of us accurately spot nuances of tone, commiseration, mis-pronunciation, irony, congratulations, double-negatives etc etc in Spanish? Add to this a charged atmosphere, emotions, loss of the game, cameras in your face, Burnley players earwigging.

The manager should have bitten his tongue (as he's done many times before) and walked away. I don't want him to be judged alongside, Klopp, Ferguson and all the other 'hot-head' managers who inevitable get a meaningless fine and then carry on as before. He's better than that.
I think, but ultimately guessing, that as a manager you need to be up in the faces of the refs. I'm basing this purely on how some of the games best ever managers have acted/behaved prior to Poch. Whilst as a fan I like our manager to show respect and show a bit of class, I'd take winning the League/CL with our manager being fined for bad behaviour.

We are in need of some passion in this club, hope Pochettino and the player keep fighting with referees and other team player, that's what we are lacking, some cuntiness.

I'd say the whole world wants to take notice. Every one of his mannerisms is a meme. His next game the media will talk about he's on 99 red cards, the next one will make it 100, they've been saying this every game since his 99th red, it will get said again, again, again, again, again until he hands out his 100th, then that WILL BE MASSIVE and everyone will say what a cunt he is for handing out 100 red cards. Then his 101st will 'break new levels" of shitness.

Look, I'm human this means you react/judge based not just on what someone does but how they do it but everything that surrounds him is utter ridiculous. Look at the origins of the thread, the first post, now look. Fans being pricks basically. In fact, since this first post, how's things turned out subsequently?

Poch's rant at the end of the game was him deliberately making a calculated scene:
a) He's probably taking the heat off the team's performance, doing a Mourinho making it about him and not how shit we were. Well done Poch, great management!!
b) Poch didn't like what he saw from the players on Sat, he said Burnley were more aggressive than us, that's got to hurt, this is Poch showing aggression the only way a manager can, he showing the team what he didn't see from them. Great management Poch!
c) As a team, we've improved our snide massively, become a hard team to beat, prepared to mix it, not back down, play the dark arts to gain advantage BUT Poch has criticised "us" which includes him on off the field antics (he said this and suggested that we should be more like Juve after the Juve game), this is him living those words. This is what Mourinho and Fergie (and Wenger) did for years. Moan, scream, be an utter pain in the arse for the officials, don't give them a moment to relax or breath, pick up on every single error they make. This is what he is now doing, he did it earlier in the season with Oliver too. This is what it looks like. Great management Poch!
This actually makes a lot of sense! Nice post!

I don't think Dean is against us particularly, he is just a buffoon generally. I cant find a way to paste it here, but just Google "Premier league Ref Stats". I think the results speak for themselves. He is either very card happy, or very unlucky to ref games that are unruly.

My feeling is he goes into games with a mightier than thou attitude. He then starts giving out cards easily and before long he is becoming the talking point. He thinks he is being tough, but either all the other Refs are wrong, or he is a loose cannon, who can then lose control.

He's clearly a fucking idiot.

He's been on 99 red card since January 2nd.

He LOVES the attention it's getting. I'd be amazed if he gave another red card this season so it can roll over to next season. Absolutely obvious when he's reffed in 2 games since that could and probably should have seen a red card (Pogba and Bardsley, both funnily enough against us)

In his last 5 games, he's shown 24 yellow cards

In the PREVIOUS 5, he had shown 29 yellow cards and 3 red cards..

Great post. Point B is spot on and I didn't even think of it that way.

We've lost bigger, more intense games than that, yet Poch has never lost his cool.

I don't speak a work of Spanish outside of what I've heard from Dora the Explorer, but Poch knows a lot of English as he speaks to English people, in English, every day. Add to that, Mike Dean is notorious for being a sanctimonious cunt, so I'm pretty confident that it wasn't a breakdown in communication, and that Dean said something that pissed our coaching staff off, as it would anyone that speaks English.

He LOVES the attention it's getting. I'd be amazed if he gave another red card this season so it can roll over to next season. Absolutely obvious when he's reffed in 2 games since that could and probably should have seen a red card (Pogba and Bardsley, both funnily enough against us)

What do you think he wants the 100th to be?

Manchester derby where he gets to send of Pogba?
Us v Chavs and he sends off Kane?

He'll want a big audience and a big name to mark such a milestone. Though with whatever happened between him and Poch, he might lose out on his big opportunity of "First Red card at the new WHL"

What did Dean flaunt in the Burnley game?

If (big if) we find out he said something that was out of order then he would have used his authority trivialise and detract from a badly judged statement. This is not what someone in authority should do. He should have to answer for his actions and appropriate steps should be taken.

Things like this grate on me. I've witnessed Police officers in the past sayings things that are unacceptable then when there is an understandable reaction they have used their authority to threaten arrest. It's not how people in this position should act.

I agree it's only football and maybe Poch was showing his players what passion and aggressions is like but I don't think so, sure he's injecting 'snide' as you put it but this seems a step too far for me.

And Foyth.

If (big if) we find out he said something that was out of order then he would have used his authority trivialise and detract from a badly judged statement. This is not what someone in authority should do. He should have to answer for his actions and appropriate steps should be taken.

Things like this grate on me. I've witnessed Police officers in the past sayings things that are unacceptable then when there is an understandable reaction they have used their authority to threaten arrest. It's not how people in this position should act.

I agree it's only football and maybe Poch was showing his players what passion and aggressions is like but I don't think so, sure he's injecting 'snide' as you put it but this seems a step too far for me.
I've witnessed the same from people in authority (mainly Old Bill) but in every case, the best way to deal with it is not to react, leaves them utterly powerless. Unless you too are looking for a reaction, something to take the focus of how shit the players were. It's absolutely worked too, I've just watched his pre-match press conf and over 90% of it is about the moment with Dean.

What do you think he wants the 100th to be?

Manchester derby where he gets to send of Pogba?
Us v Chavs and he sends off Kane?

He'll want a big audience and a big name to mark such a milestone. Though with whatever happened between him and Poch, he might lose out on his big opportunity of "First Red card at the new WHL"

I had Spurs new stadium in mind, yeah.

Great post. Point B is spot on and I didn't even think of it that way.

IMHO it doesn't really make sense to me. Poch stood and watched a gutless performance from the team and instead of trying to gee them up during the interval or the match itself, let the match play out and then thought "Right lets show everyone who the boss is"?

IMHO it doesn't really make sense to me. Poch stood and watched a gutless performance from the team and instead of trying to gee them up during the interval or the match itself, let the match play out and then thought "Right lets show everyone who the boss is"?
Maybe he just didn't know what to do with the team on the day as you say they were spineless but we have had a few results like that this season so now real surprise.

I've witnessed the same from people in authority (mainly Old Bill) but in every case, the best way to deal with it is not to react, leaves them utterly powerless. Unless you too are looking for a reaction, something to take the focus of how shit the players were. It's absolutely worked too, I've just watched his pre-match press conf and over 90% of it is about the moment with Dean.

Yes absolutely, and I spend a chunk of my time winding my kids up, then teaching them to just hum and ignore things, as my Dad to me. I however have a real problem with people abusing their position.

I like seeing the mighty fall, perhaps a trait that is shared by many of our fans. Dean, whilst not mighty would be a good one to tumble...

Back
Top Bottom