Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not just the Burnley match, he messes around with the ball, runs out of position etc. I think hes gets a pass from people because of 'yoof'.

In fifa (the football game), theres a mode called pro clubs. 10 players join in online, everyone gets to pick a position and sometimes you get this one guy who plays at CB but is an aspiring Messi constantly trying to dribble past players instead of playing a simple pass. Obviously they lose the ball at the back a lot and it gets really annoying for all other players. Thats what Foyth reminds me of.

Of course your opinion of him may be that he doesnt do those things and thats okay.

He's 21 yrs old..already an international for country and finding his way in which is undoubtedly the toughest league in the world.
Sorry mate but you seem very ill informed !.and to make judgements on a player so quickly based on a computer model/game is ridiculous.
Ironically one of the things you notice about him is how good he is in possession for a young central defender ..in a couple of years you'll notice this type of player is at a premium at the highest level ..I've no doubt foyth will become an absolutely top class central defender possibly even a better holding midfield player .

May I make the assumption you are a younger overseas fan!

Last edited:
Age is also a big factor why he is getting a pass from so many people where someone like Aurier gets villified for fuckups. The whole 'awww hes only 20, far from home and family' shouldnt be part of Poch's thinking when in a title race. Personally I hope foyth does not play the next matches vs chavs, arse and dortmund. Cant afford to play someone who consistently fucks up in those matches.

At the first goal Foyth lost his man, true, but Toby couldn't manage to jump properly (a recurring theme this season) got under the ball and wood got an easy header. Has Toby won a meaningful header all season?

For the second goal, Toby didn't get remotely close to the player on the ball and Jan, although he had two players to deal with, reacted slowly.

Toby and Jan along with Trippier, Aurier, Sanchez and Lloris have been at fault many times this season. Something is wrong with our defence and Poch needs to sort it out however, quickly.

Foyth's biggest problem is that he hasn't built up the same love and grace that our other CBs have. Remember the game against Arse where apparently he cost us the game, despite a very senior defender playing less like SuperJan and more like a Jan-Kerr. On Saturday we conceded 2 very poor goals, one of which he wasn't on the pitch for, but is somehow getting the finger pointed at.

Almost every game he fucks up something. We get away with it sometimes, and sometimes we dont. Sanchez is head and shoulders above him.

Sanchez makes mistakes too, like when Rondon bodied him in the West Brom draw last season.

Foyth is a good player, it's no coincidence that he's already a full international. Him 'messing about with the ball' is better than the stupid endless sideway passes that get us nowhere and you'd think we'd welcome a player that's happy to push forward with the ball and launch attacks.

All of our CBs have been awful at defending set pieces this season, every time we concede a corner we look like letting one in.

He can have all the technical ability in the world but he's not going to make it in this league if he doesn't improve his decision making and doesn't toughen up a bit.

I have faith he will make it and he's shown promising glimpses but he's currently way below the standard of our other cbs including Sanchez. As I said, his technical ability is awesome but he currently makes a ridiculous amount of mistakes and bad decisions which is understandable for his age.

Last edited:
He's 21 yrs old..already an international for country and finding his way in which is undoubtedly the toughest league in the world.
Sorry mate but you seem very ill informed !.and to make judgements on a player so quickly based on a computer model/game is ridiculous.
Ironically one of the things you notice about him is how good he is in possession for a young central defender ..in a couple of years you'll notice this type of player is at a premium at the highest level ..I've no doubt foyth will become an absolutely top class central defender possibly even a better holding midfield player .

May I make the assumption you are a younger overseas fan!
You didnt read what I said about the fifa thing properly. It was meant to imply that you can do stupid things like dribbling around at the back in a fifa game and even then its annoying for the rest of the people, in real life football its even worse.

If anything an overseas younger fan (possibly like yourself ) is exactly the kind of fan who would want our CB to pretend to be Messi. I like defenders to be able to defend maybe because thats the type of football I am used to.

Last edited:
Sanchez makes mistakes too, like when Rondon bodied him in the West Brom draw last season.

Foyth is a good player, it's no coincidence that he's already a full international. Him 'messing about with the ball' is better than the stupid endless sideway passes that get us nowhere and you'd think we'd welcome a player that's happy to push forward with the ball and launch attacks.

All of our CBs have been awful at defending set pieces this season, every time we concede a corner we look like letting one in.
Defenders can start attacks with good passes. We've scored many times when Toby starts off an attack with a good pass to kane. But a silly dribble at the back is a high risk, very low reward strategy. Its just downright stupid.

I don't vilify Aurier for his errors but if you're asking me why it's different I'd say it's because for me Serge doesn't do enough attacking wise to make those silly swipes and slices worth enduring. A full back should be able to take his man on, run at the left back, win corners, throw ins or a genuine advantage around the outside. A genuinely important modern day fullback needs to be prepared to risk losing the ball in order to gain an advantage as the wide areas are the spaces where losing the ball comes with the least risk. For me Aurier bails out far too much by passing it inside or crossing it. He doesn't give and go enough, doesn't maraud like he should and he's been a let down so far in a Spurs shirt, apart from the odd glimpse here and there of his ability which is sadly shown in far too frequent flashes. He clearly has so much more as an athlete and a footballer to give. Serge has over five years on Juan which does make a big difference. Those growth years are crucial for a young players development, just looks at how Winks has grown even over the last 4-5 games or how Kanes games improved from when he was 20 to how he is now. He'd never have got that chance if we'd have not peservered with him in those first couple of seasons before he hit the scene and hit stride. The same applies to Bale.

If Dele was fit would we have played three at the back the other day? Probably not. Poch opted for it for whatever reason and he sees the players more than most so we'll have to trust his judgement based on what he sees at the training ground etc
Yea i get the whole Poch must be seeing something in training . Maybe Aurier is also great in training like foyth is. Not that disagreeing with Poch would mean we are wrong. Poch must be getting some things wrong or we'd have won something by now given the quality in this squad.

Defenders can start attacks with good passes. We've scored many times when Toby starts off an attack with a good pass to kane. But a silly dribble at the back is a high risk, very low reward strategy. Its just downright stupid.

Not when no one from midfield drops back and gives him an option. If you stop picking up players in isolation and look at the problem from a team perspective it makes more sense. Same with one of Foyth's pen give aways, Trippier left him completely exposed.

Last edited:
You didnt read what I said about the fifa thing properly. It was meant to imply that you can do stupid things like dribbling around at the back in a fifa game and even then its annoying for the rest of the people, in real life football its even worse.

If anything an overseas younger fan (possibly like yourself ) is exactly the kind of fan who would want our CB to pretend to be Messi. I like defenders to be able to defend maybe because thats the type of football I am used to.

Mate ...I think you clueless and havnt been into football long thats why I asked politely if your young and from overseas. 'Low reward strategy'..That's very soccerball stuff :dembelelol: .......football is a fluid game.

Last edited:
Mate ...I think you clueless and havnt been into football long thats why I asked politely if your young and from overseas. 'Low reward strategy'..That's very soccerball stuff :dembelelol: .......football is a fluid game.
'High risk low reward strategy' isnt that difficult a concept. It just means taking a big risk with not much of a payoff. Risking a fuckup in your own box with a silly dribble only to gain a very little advantage is a bad move. Thats not what a defender should be doing. If Kane does that in the opponent box and succeeds, then theres a chance of scoring a goal , thats a low risk high reward strategy. Thats common sense stuff not soccerball or any such nonsense where we try to insult an overseas football fan.

Did Foyth start v. Dortmund?

Chelsea at home too (3-1 win)

Unfortunately, it seems people remember the games where he hasn't been helped out particularly well by his team mates. Woolwich 4-2 for example where Vertonghen was rushed back from injury and put in a 2/10 performance. The mistake that game wasn't playing Foyth, it was starting Vertonghen over Alderweireld.

Foyth is not a problem, he's raw but overall I feel he has been better than Davinson this season. He started against Dortmund, did well and deserved the start against Burnley.

As a team we were shite at the weekend, no point singling out one player just because he got turned a couple of times. We were cack from front to back, at least Foyth showed some forward intensity on the ball.

'High risk low reward strategy' isnt that difficult a concept. It just means taking a big risk with not much of a payoff. Risking a fuckup in your own box with a silly dribble only to gain a very little advantage is a bad move. Thats not what a defender should be doing. If Kane does that in the opponent box and succeeds, then theres a chance of scoring a goal , thats a low risk high reward strategy. Thats common sense stuff not soccerball or any such nonsense where we try to insult an overseas football fan.

A pass is just as easily intercepted.. as I said football is fluid..you cant strategize with so many obstacles involved ..your talking out of your arse or want us to play like the old Wimbledon.

Back
Top Bottom