Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe he will get there. But in a match of such importance as yesterdays we need to be fielding players who've already got there.

Such a shame a manager of Poch's brilliance feels compelled to have to throw in such young inexperienced kids for such a crucial match.

Foyth's inept display was a major factor in killing of any lingering title hopes. Harsh, but true.

Not going to lie I was very surprised to see Foyth thrown in against a well known physical and robust side but he clearly sees enough in the kid to believe in him for the big occasion.

Was Davinson injured? Would 4 at the back and Lucas or Lamela had made a difference? Honestly I don't know but we threw Dele into the deep end when he first joined and he hit the ground running. Some do it straight off the bat, others need to experience it to get the experience of it and what's needed.

We don't have a big squad and I think it was opportunities like the one we gave Juan yesterday that probably swayed him to join us other bigger clubs like PSG. Swings & roundabouts John

After a couple of dodgy moments against Dortmund he had a great game but you knew 100% Burnley would target him-he had a mare as did those in front of him though.
Needs to beef up big time and learn when to attack the ball or drop off and shepherd attackers where they don't want to be. Aurier tries to nick in front to win balls as well which pisses me off no end-but hes not a 21 year old and will never learn.
Given time I think Foyth will be a rolls royce cb tbh

Not going to lie I was very surprised to see Foyth thrown in against a well known physical and robust side but he clearly sees enough in the kid to believe in him for the big occasion.

Was Davinson injured? Would 4 at the back and Lucas or Lamela had made a difference? Honestly I don't know but we threw Dele into the deep end when he first joined and he hit the ground running. Some do it straight off the bat, others need to experience it to get the experience of it and what's needed.

We don't have a big squad and I think it was opportunities like the one we gave Juan yesterday that probably swayed him to join us other bigger clubs like PSG. Swings & roundabouts John
I think Poch just believes in trial by fire. He seems to want to see how a player acts against different types of opponents so that he can figure out what the player needs to work on to improve.

That's just what I think tho. But it makes sense considering how Poch seems to work tactically. He's very slow to adapt mid game, but if you have beaten him once he is going to develop ways to counter that next time.

Not for me. Everything about him says "not a great CB". His physique - he's barely got any shoulders at all. He's got no composure either, he unsettles everyone around him. He should be a last resort option. If he's Alderweireld's replacement then we're in trouble.
Mate, this is not a rugby team.

Mate, this is not a rugby team.

A lot of the defending CBs do is using body strength to ease opposition players off the ball and compete with them aerially. Anyone who's ever played football will tell you that and it's where the limitations of a player are often found - in their ability to compete on a purely physical level. Foyth, in my opinion, doesn't posses the physique to play CB.

Last edited:
He's going straight to the top.

Exquisite talent.

Not going to single him out from the Burnley game as Alderweireld and Vertonghen also had their worst games of the season. He was great against Dortmund, you know, an actual elite European team and that's more than enough for me.

DO think he'd be an excellent DM though. Genuinely think he's the best player in our squad on the ball. It's just a huge transition from centre half that rarely many make.

Last edited:
He's going straight to the top.

Exquisite talent.

Not going to single him out from the Burnley game as Alderweireld and Vertonghen also had their worst games of the season. He was great against Dortmund, you know, an actual elite European team and that's more than enough for me.

Very lucky to have him. Got a way of moving with the ball that will develop more goal scoring chances than he will make mistakes. In time he'll add so much more to the team than just his defensive attributes.

Davinson Sanchez, Juan Foyth, Harry Winks, Heung-Min Son, Dele Alli, Harry Kane, what a fantastic young and vibrant spine we have to develop for the future Tottenham team. A lot of energy, raw talent and good characters in that group. Add a few more and before you know it that's the future team we're looking at, it has plenty of promise and potential

Almost every game he fucks up something. We get away with it sometimes, and sometimes we dont. Sanchez is head and shoulders above him.
Think that's a bit unfair regarding the Burnley performance..we got bullied ,Toby and Jan vastly experienced as they are went missing when it got tough...we couldn't handle there up and at them kick bite scratch punch style.

Maybe he will get there. But in a match of such importance as yesterdays we need to be fielding players who've already got there.

Such a shame a manager of Poch's brilliance feels compelled to have to throw in such young inexperienced kids for such a crucial match.

Foyth's inept display was a major factor in killing of any lingering title hopes. Harsh, but true.

He wasn't and hasn't been the only weak link in defence this season.

He wasn't and hasn't been the only weak link in defence this season.

Foyth's getting targeted unfairly due to his age, frame and debut vs Wolves.

He didn't do much wrong Saturday, it's just because it's him iphes getting out under the microscope. If it was Vertonghen doing exactly the same thing as Juan did people wouldn't be saying anything about the header or the late tackle etc.

Juans getting the rough treatment, even from his own fans. Pretty sad to see seeing as the kid was 20 up until about 6 weeks ago and has barely played a dozen games for us in a country far from his family & home.

Think that's a bit unfair regarding the Burnley performance..we got bullied ,Toby and Jan vastly experienced as they are went missing when it got tough...we couldn't handle there up and at them kick bite scratch punch style.
Not just the Burnley match, he messes around with the ball, runs out of position etc. I think hes gets a pass from people because of 'yoof'.

In fifa (the football game), theres a mode called pro clubs. 10 players join in online, everyone gets to pick a position and sometimes you get this one guy who plays at CB but is an aspiring Messi constantly trying to dribble past players instead of playing a simple pass. Obviously they lose the ball at the back a lot and it gets really annoying for all other players. Thats what Foyth reminds me of.

Of course your opinion of him may be that he doesnt do those things and thats okay.

We can't make a decision based upon one mare of a game. After all, he was good (after a rocky start) against Dortmund.

Time will tell. He's a CB rather than a DM for me. However, I do agree he should be hitting the weights.

Foyth's getting targeted unfairly due to his age, frame and debut vs Wolves.

He didn't do much wrong Saturday, it's just because it's him iphes getting out under the microscope. If it was Vertonghen doing exactly the same thing as Juan did people wouldn't be saying anything about the header or the late tackle etc.

Juans getting the rough treatment, even from his own fans. Pretty sad to see seeing as the kid was 20 up until about 6 weeks ago and has barely played a dozen games for us in a country far from his family & home.
Age is also a big factor why he is getting a pass from so many people where someone like Aurier gets villified for fuckups. The whole 'awww hes only 20, far from home and family' shouldnt be part of Poch's thinking when in a title race. Personally I hope foyth does not play the next matches vs chavs, arse and dortmund. Cant afford to play someone who consistently fucks up in those matches.

Not just the Burnley match, he messes around with the ball, runs out of position etc. I think hes gets a pass from people because of 'yoof'.

In fifa (the football game), theres a mode called pro clubs. 10 players join in online, everyone gets to pick a position and sometimes you get this one guy who plays at CB but is an aspiring Messi constantly trying to dribble past players instead of playing a simple pass. Obviously they lose the ball at the back a lot and it gets really annoying for all other players. Thats what Foyth reminds me of.

Of course your opinion of him may be that he doesnt do those things and thats okay.

See that's what I love about him, he believes in himself and he takes chances. When he completely mugged those two Dortmund players off the other week when he had nowhere to turn he instantly turned backs to the wall defending into attack due to his capacity on the ball. It's such a big asset, almost like having a mini Dembele in defence turning cautious play into deep playing threat to the opposition. He will make mistakes, that's inevitable with how he plays but what people won't see is all the attacks he starts or the pressure he takes off of the team by doing the more nimble stuff. With a player like Juan in the team we might concede 2-3 goals because of how he plays but we'll also retain possession, start more counter attacks, get into better attacking threats and score more goals as a result of it because of him. Personally I don't think it's a part of his game that should ever get repressed

See that's what I love about him, he believes in himself and he takes chances. When he completely mugged those two Dortmund players off the other week when he had nowhere to turn he instantly turned backs to the wall defending into attack due to his capacity on the ball. It's such a big asset, almost like having a mini Dembele in defence turning cautious play into deep playing threat to the opposition. He will make mistakes, that's inevitable with how he plays but what people won't see is all the attacks he starts or the pressure he takes off of the team by doing the more nimble stuff. With a player like Juan in the team we might concede 2-3 goals because of how he plays but we'll also retain possession, start more counter attacks, get into better attacking threats and score more goals as a result of it because of him. Personally I don't think it's a part of his game that should ever get repressed
Personally I want a defender to be able to defend, not someone who takes chances at the back. You and your new age tactics of dribbling at the back. :pocheyes:

I agree with this and he's certainly got talent and is one for the future.

However, I don't want my CBs taking chances. He needs to learn from Alderwiereld, who seems to know when to play and when to hoof or run it out for a throw.

When it comes off he looks like Beckenbauer. When it doesn't... "In Lloris we trust"

I prefer Row 27. Easier on the heart.

Age is also a big factor why he is getting a pass from so many people where someone like Aurier gets villified for fuckups. The whole 'awww hes only 20, far from home and family' shouldnt be part of Poch's thinking when in a title race. Personally I hope foyth does not play the next matches vs chavs, arse and dortmund. Cant afford to play someone who consistently fucks up in those matches.

I don't vilify Aurier for his errors but if you're asking me why it's different I'd say it's because for me Serge doesn't do enough attacking wise to make those silly swipes and slices worth enduring. A full back should be able to take his man on, run at the left back, win corners, throw ins or a genuine advantage around the outside. A genuinely important modern day fullback needs to be prepared to risk losing the ball in order to gain an advantage as the wide areas are the spaces where losing the ball comes with the least risk. For me Aurier bails out far too much by passing it inside or crossing it. He doesn't give and go enough, doesn't maraud like he should and he's been a let down so far in a Spurs shirt, apart from the odd glimpse here and there of his ability which is sadly shown in far too frequent flashes. He clearly has so much more as an athlete and a footballer to give. Serge has over five years on Juan which does make a big difference. Those growth years are crucial for a young players development, just looks at how Winks has grown even over the last 4-5 games or how Kanes games improved from when he was 20 to how he is now. He'd never have got that chance if we'd have not peservered with him in those first couple of seasons before he hit the scene and hit stride. The same applies to Bale.

If Dele was fit would we have played three at the back the other day? Probably not. Poch opted for it for whatever reason and he sees the players more than most so we'll have to trust his judgement based on what he sees at the training ground etc

Back
Top Bottom