Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's the acronym the media is trying to place on our attacking line. Dele, Eriksen, Son, Kane.

They also tried branding them as the Fab 4 for a while.
Never seen the media use DESK tbh, only forums

I like it as I find it funny. Such a deadly quartet being described as harmless furtniture.

Expecting Lamela to be involved in more goals than Harry Kane makes the graph retarded and better that it doesn't see the light of day again.
Not really. Lamela will see more of the ball, strikers can be starved of service and marked by multiple defenders, this is much less likely to occur to midfielders.

It's not unreasonable to expect slightly deeper attacking players to have more touches and be involved in more build up which increases the chances that they're in a chain of passes leading to an expected goal.

This rubbishing stats at all costs is a bit Brexit Dad.

Not really. Lamela will see more of the ball, strikers can be starved of service and marked by multiple defenders, this is much less likely to occur to midfielders.

It's not unreasonable to expect slightly deeper attacking players to have more touches and be involved in more build up which increases the chances that they're in a chain of passes leading to an expected goal.

Depends what you call involved in a goal i suppose but I'd put my life on Harry Kane being involved (regardless of how minor the involvement needs to be to count) in more goals than Erik Lamela per game over an extended period of time

What's Brexit got to with anything ?

In all honesty, I think Lamela offers more to us than Lucas does. Don't care how long either of them have been here, its what they can offer.

I think BOTH could be upgraded on though but again, happy to keep either if they're happy to be squad players and contribute when needed.

I think Lucas probably looks better on the eye when watching him play, why is probably why he gets a free pass most of the time because he's arguably just as wasteful, if not more than Lamela.

Right now though, in the system we play, neither are good enough to start. That's down to Lucas just not being good enough (being a winger doesn't help in a team that doesn't play them) and Lamelas fitness which has ultimately disrupted his development, though his position helps him in this line up either in the tip of a diamond or as part of our forward line.

If Lamela is great squad player then let him earn squad player wages. 40k instead of 100k. He's made 50 odd Pl since the begginging of 16/17 and got what? 4 assists and 7 goals? It's just not value for money for what he's earning, and neither is Lucas really. If everyone's fit neither start and one may find themselves struggling to stay on the bench even.

We are where we are because of the exceptional quality of our main men and manager, but we'll probably finish a little short of where we'd like to be because of a lack of other options.

Last edited:
He's coming on with 30 minutes to go, so should run around more than the other players who have played the full game.

Granted, he runs around a lot and I'll concede that he does some of b). Even this is arguable.

How about a)?
His primary job in our team is not to score. We have Kane, Son, Dele and Eriksen for that.

If Lamela is great squad player then let him earn squad player wages. 40k instead of 100k. He's made 50 odd Pl since the begginging of 16/17 and got what? 4 assists and 7 goals? It's just not value for money for what he's earning, and neither is Lucas really. If everyone's fit neither start and one may find themselves struggling to stay on the bench even.

We are where we are because of the exceptional quality of our main men and manager, but we'll probably finish a little short of where we'd like to be because of a lack of other options.
Considering you think we are absolutely not a top four side, what is a little short, cat nonce?

There is a distinct correlation between Lamela hating and a certain political outlook.

His primary job in our team is not to score. We have Kane, Son, Dele and Eriksen for that.

I have to say that's a new one on me! An attacking midfielder whose primary job is 'not to score'. He's usually brought on as a sub for Dele or Son.

If he was starting the game, then OK. As an impact sub, I'd wan't him to score (to make an impact?).

I have to say that's a new one on me! An attacking midfielder whose primary job is 'not to score'.

If he was starting the game, then OK. As an impact sub, I'd wan't him to score (to make an impact?).
If you believe the only impact one can make as a sub is scoring, you're sorely mistaken.

There are plenty of attacking midfielders who don't score often.

One prime example of someone who everyone was clamouring for is Wilf Zaha.

If you believe the only impact one can make as a sub is scoring, you're sorely mistaken.

Sorry, I thought that was the point of the game - scoring more than the opposition - especially for an attacking midfielder. The only people who don't have a 'primary job' not to score, is the keeper and the defence.

As a sub (and the consensus seems to be that Lamela is best used as an 'impact' sub), you can't make more of an impact that scoring.

For every Zaha, there's a Solskjaer, Fowler and that Liverpool guy in the 80s that always scored with his first touch as a sub (can't remember his name - had red hair - David something-or-other).

Sorry, I thought that was the point of the game - scoring more than the opposition - especially for an attacking midfielder. The only people who don't have a 'primary job' not to score, is the keeper and the defence.

As a sub (and the consensus seems to be that Lamela is best used as an 'impact' sub), you can't make more of an impact that scoring.

For every Zaha, there's a Solskjaer, Fowler and that Liverpool guy in the 80s that always scored with his first touch as a sub (can't remember his name - had red hair - David something-or-other).
Oh right, why have defenders then eh

Funny you had to go back to the 90s and 80s to find consistent scoring subs.

Also, Robbie Fowler was not a super sub.

Back
Top Bottom