Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have said it before and say it again, I think Sessegnon would offer a lot more within 18 months.
This isn't a bold statement.

With Lucas' arrival and Son's vast improvement in consistency Lamela is a now a squad player and impact sub. Which he is very good at.

To be a rounded squad you need players like Lamela.

Passionate, versatile, dogged and a team player.

Sort of like a forward Park Ji-Sung.

What he doesn't need, is to be criticised for saying its an honour to play for this club.

Every title winning side has a few superstars, then some B and C level players.
Lamela isn't our Dele/Eriksen/Son/Kane and that's fine.

He's good enough to be a squad player.

(How many expected goals he's involved in)

90% of people have Mindblown on ignore. He's like a piece of mold in the corner you just forget's there.

And welcome to the world of being a critic of Erik Lamela. Remember, you are the sane one, the normal one. The world agrees with you. Lamela has always had a cult like following, but they're actually a small but extremely vocal minority who will use any method available to stifle debate - the method on SC is primarily the rating system, here it's abuse and filling threads full of inane spam.

There's some rational posters you can have debate and discussion with such as Boltonspur and others. But there's some utter head cases it's not worth bothering with and they're best put on ignore.

And remember, no matter how much Lamela stinks the place out, you can never "win" the argument any more than you could win an argument with a religious fanatic about the existence of god. It's a belief system, it's become a form of self identification to be one of the chosen few who know the truth that Erik Lamela is one of the greatest players in the history of football.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the forum idiot Mindblown (and others). I have finally worked out how to put him on ignore.

What you describe is akin to Stalinst Russia (or Corbyn's current Labour party). "No dissent is tolerated".

Don't get me wrong, Lamela's a Spurs player and when he plays well I will be the first to highlight it. However when he has a mare (and it's often), I'll also give my opinion.

Lamela has had 5 1/2 years to prove himself more than a "squad player". His supporters quote 'energy', 'getting in the face of the opposition', 'committed to the cause' and other such nonsense. He's a pro footballer on about £4m a year. All those qualities are in line 1 of the pro footballer's job description. Praising him because he runs around a lot is fatuous. Praise him for his unique qualities that he brings to the team and his ever-improving performances. One good game (and he has had some) in every ten after a six match lay-off due to injury is not good enough.

The idea that a team who will (in all probability) qualify for the CL for the fourth successive season and has one foot in the QF of this year's competition not being able to upgrade is incredible.

The situation with Lucas (and I'm starting to have doubts) is that he needs more time. This time next year, if we're having the same doubts, then he should be moved on. I thought Lucas may be the Lamela upgrade - but maybe not.

As Orwell put it "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears." I sometimes wonder whether I'm watching the same game when we get the 'Lamela-love' post match analyses.

Last edited:
Still have no idea what it means. Lamela involved in 1 expected goal per game? Lloris 0.2 expected goals per game. How does that work?
Lloris long balls/hoofs lead to situations with a 0.2 xpg. Lamela involved in chains/passages of play with 1 xpg.

Not concrete but I do think there's some value to it. Lamela's ability to play one and two touch, disguised passes etc all contribute.

I want my impact sub to:
a) score
b) stifle the opposition and help close the game down.
He does all the other things that you mention, 'run around' etc. But does he do either of the above?
Lamela might not score but with him on the pitch we will get more dangerous situations in the final third which leads to goals (or should).
I think people are having short term memory here tbh, Lamela and Lucas were key to our start early in the season. Without that, Son's heroics now would have us just closer to 4th-5th than 1st

Lloris long balls/hoofs lead to situations with a 0.2 xpg

It's not often that Lloris punts it 70 yards downfield.
Lamela involved in 1 expected goal per game? More so that Eriksen, Son? Maybe it's a function of him not playing very much skewing the stat - rather like N'koudou?

However if the stats indicate it, it must be true!

Last edited:
Exactly how I feel it's Lamela's stubbornness to never use his right foot or to not too release the ball in time that irkks me.

It's not about being stubborn as opposed to not being able or confident in doing so.

The same with the timing of his passes. It is about being better.

I get all the comments about Lamela being dogged and determined. I also understand and accept the argument for him being a contented squad player (not sure that is all positive)

I suppose I would like to see him being more impactful when he starts or to be someone who does offer more when he comes on as a sub.

It is fine margins because as a squad player he is fine but a very good squad player is someone who is unlucky not being a regular starter.

Lamela is not in that category too often or often enough is maybe more accurate.

Last edited:
It's not often that Lloris punts it 70 yards downfield.
Lamela involved in 1 expected goal per game? More so that Eriksen, Son, Maybe it's a function of him not playing very much skewing the stat - rather like N'koudou?

However if the stats indicate it, it must be true!

Is that better?

I think people are having short term memory here tbh, Lamela and Lucas were key to our start early in the season.

For which I unreservedly praised them for.

Grinding out results from those (often awful footballing spectacles) have resulted in us being third in the table. It really doesn't affect the arguments 'where has he improved' and 'can he be upgraded'?

For which I unreservedly praised them for.

Grinding out results from those (often awful footballing spectacles) have resulted in us being third in the table. It really doesn't affect the arguments 'where has he improved' and 'can he be upgraded'?
Well everyone who isn't DESK can be upgraded really but it's about priorities.

I don't class Lamela as one of the top attackers in the league at the moment but I also think he's good enough to be in the squad.

Where does replacing/upgrading Lamela rank on your list of priorities?

Where does replacing/upgrading Lamela rank on your list of priorities?

What I think is immaterial. What matters is what the manager's plans are.

For what it's worth (and off the top of my head):

Replacement for Dembele, Lamela and in all probability Eriksen.

Ship out Aurier, Janssen, N'koudou, Lamela, Vorm plus any other 'dead wood' I can't remember (or don't want to!)

Hang on to Trippier, Lucas, Llorente,

Back up for Foyth/Sanchez (when Alderwiereld goes), Vorm.

Longer term replacements for Vertonghen, Llorente (possibly Trippier and Lucas)

The problem you've got here is that this can't all be done in a single window. As I've said on numerous occasions it shows what a waste last summer was. The key need is Dembele and Eriksen (if he doesn't sign)replacements.

Back
Top Bottom