Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shows however that the club have not got its policy right on players. Good prospect but should not be starting in such games as today in my opinion.

It also shows how far Wanyama has fallen from his halcyon days.

We need better going forward.

I think a games such as yesterday's is perfect for him to start - otherwise we end up in the same situation as with KWP, where you end up having to start him against Barcelona, without him having collected minutes in many matches previously.

In the end we got the win and Skipp got another 70 mins of Premier League football and probably learnt a few things along the way.

I think a games such as yesterday's is perfect for him to start - otherwise we end up in the same situation as with KWP, where you end up having to start him against Barcelona, without him having collected minutes in many matches previously.

In the end we got the win and Skipp got another 70 mins of Premier League football and probably learnt a few things along the way.

So I say my piece on most things before the event.

Simple reasoning is that I cannot then be accused of saying it in hindsight. I stand by my comments as all you are saying is the ends justified the means. It did.

We won but Skipp wasn't that good through no fault of his own and not a game he would have been picked in by any of other top 6.

Simple reasoning is that I cannot then be accused of saying it in hindsight. I stand by my comments as all you are saying is the ends justified the means. It did.

We won but Skipp wasn't that good through no fault of his own and not a game he would have been picked in by any of other top 6.

None of the top 6 would have picked him full stop. They haven't started any 18 year olds in the league all season, even when they have potentially more promising players (CHO, Foden, Ampadu).

Infact we've started more 18 year olds this season in the league than any of the top 6 have in the last 2 years.

That's the beauty of Pochettino.

None of the top 6 would have picked him full stop. They haven't started any 18 year olds in the league all season, even when they have potentially more promising players (CHO, Foden, Ampadu).

That's the beauty of Pochettino.
Trouble is anyone who watches the u/18. U/23s, on a regular basis will tell we have better than skipp?.. Jack roles for instance

Trouble is anyone who watches the u/18. U/23s, on a regular basis will tell we have better than skipp?.. Jack roles for instance

Different positions for a start.

And actually most youth watchers would say Skipp has alot more potential.

Roles is 20 in 2 weeks time. Doesn't train with the first team. Has never been in contention for the first team yet Skipp is.

Not to say its over for Roles. If he doesn't go with the first team for pre-season it probably is though.

Different positions for a start.

And actually most youth watchers would say Skipp has alot more potential.

Roles is 20 in 2 weeks time. Doesn't train with the first team. Has never been in contention for the first team yet Skipp is.

Not to say its over for Roles. If he doesn't go with the first team for pre-season it probably is though.
I wouldn't say different positions more like roles is far more attacking minded.

But do you not think, that home matches against midtable clubs, with nothing to play for is a good place to blood the youngsters? Of course a couple of cup matches against lower league opposition would be perfect before that.

I thought Skipp was solid enough, but of course there's room for improvement.

Shows however that the club have not got its policy right on players. Good prospect but should not be starting in such games as today in my opinion.

It also shows how far Wanyama has fallen from his halcyon days.

We need better going forward.
If big Vic can stay fit and get a proper pre season under his belt there's no reason he can't be the beast he was before...just needs to be over that injury...

But do you not think, that home matches against midtable clubs, with nothing to play for is a good place to blood the youngsters? Of course a couple of cup matches against lower league opposition would be perfect before that.

I thought Skipp was solid enough, but of course there's room for improvement.

No I don't.

The truth was Leicester were better than us in their general midfield play. More cohesive, creative and but for Lloris being solid and some wasteful finishing we would have been undone.

Skipp looks good but there is a difference between his current level and the more accomplished midfielders, let alone those of top quality.

In most other seasons and I hope moving forward, that Skipp and others of his age and talent are sent out on loan to play more regularly and where they can learn their trade.

There is a reason none of the other top 6 would play him and it's not just because Pochettino is the more likely.

This is a player who played u18s football at the age of 15 and played u23 level at 17 and now playing first team football against international footballers at the age of 18. Can we.not see how incredible that is?

A Spurs kid. Who's been at the club since he was 5 years old. Supporter of this very club and people write him off. It's incredible.

One of our own. Potentially one of our best. Personally can't wait to see more of him.

I have a little old plastic footballer weathervane in my back garden, which spins madly in the breeze. Originally it was called Little Glenn Hoddle, in honour of the great man. Then, when the plastic changed colour, it became Little Aaron Lennon. Not too long ago I refurbished it with Humbrol Enamel paints and it was renamed Little Harry Kane (complete with stubble on the chin).

Now, however, it's true self is finally revealed and it has a brand new squad number. I live in Hertford and went to school at Richard Hale (same as Oli Skipp). It had to be...

...Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you, the one and only...

LITTLE OLIVER SKIPP (you can see the top half of him in my avatar).

Last edited:

Roles is good but he loses / gives the ball away in very dangerous areas quite a lot when I have seen him.

But that’s part of the learning process.

Also ahead of him probably Dele, Eriksen, and if you look wide Moura and Son. Difficult to start in front of any of those.

CM we have been down to bare bones this year so I think Skipp has benefitted a lot from that scenario.

This is a player who played u18s football at the age of 15 and played u23 level at 17 and now playing first team football against international footballers at the age of 18. Can we.not see how incredible that is?

A Spurs kid. Who's been at the club since he was 5 years old. Supporter of this very club and people write him off. It's incredible.

One of our own. Potentially one of our best. Personally can't wait to see more of him.
Im not writing him off at all..on the contrarty he has a huge future if he continues ..i just feel hes been quite fortunate with luke amos having a,season long injury but fair play to the kid hes taken his chance so to speak .

Im not writing him off at all..on the contrarty he has a huge future if he continues ..i just feel hes been quite fortunate with luke amos having a,season long injury but fair play to the kid hes taken his chance so to speak .

Maybe.

But Luke Amos is no where near good enough for this level and will probably be lucky to make a career in a Championship side.

I'm new here, so don't shoot me down... I've seen pretty much every game Skipp's played for the 1st team and I don't think he's put a foot wrong. In addition, he seems to have fitted seamlessly into the Spurs style of play. I always expect Dier to give the ball away in a dangerous position, or to concede a silly free kick at least twice per game. I don't see Skipp doing that at all. I think he's got an excellent footballing brain.

Maybe.

But Luke Amos is no where near good enough for this level and will probably be lucky to make a career in a Championship side.
Maybe.maybe not .the thing is we've seen it all before where younger players,are overhyped and progress differently, no question the premiership is the hardest league in the world to break into
I was very impreessed with amos earlier in his career and certainly thought he had it in him to mske a career in the higher leagues.
But ive also heard it all before with the likes of kane and winks getting slaughtered ..same goes for kwp whos getting a real hard time from many right now

Back
Top Bottom