"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What we want is a Liverpool loss and a City win. Then it’s:

Pool - 61 City - 59 Spurs - 57

Then we’re definitely in a title race. 4pt gap with 1/3 of the season (13 games) to go...

Admittedly we’d most likely have to beat both Liverpool and City away to pull it off. We’re definietly outsiders but one more slip-up from those two and we’re in business baby

No offense, but what bollocks.

Is never better than:

Pool 61 - Spurs 57 - City 56

Peeps wanna sit back and mock Goons, Chavs and WH for having a small-time mentality and obsession with us... Some of our own really are showing themselves to be no different.

I've spent 30-odd years waiting to be in the mix again.... Fuck being more concerned with our rivals.

Winning the league is the ultimate way to stick it to the cunts anyway. Keep looking upwards.

(Personally, despite themselves, i hope both lots of wankers smash our title rivals over the next few days... )

Spurs success > Rival misery.

Last edited:
I can't see West Ham helping us out. We have a ~3% chance objectively. That is zero in my book. We need a miracle. And that is beyond fighting for the sake of fighting. We still had a bigger chance to win before Wolves.

I can't see West Ham helping us out. We have a ~3% chance objectively. That is zero in my book. We need a miracle. And that is beyond fighting for the sake of fighting. We still had a bigger chance to win before Wolves.

Poch's pre-newcastle battle-cry, without a doubt.

No offense, but what bollocks.

Is never better than:

Pool 61 - Spurs 57 - City 56

Peeps wanna sit back and mock Goons, Chavs and WH for having a small-time mentality and obsession with us... Some of our own really are showing themselves to be no different.

I've spent 30-odd years waiting to be in the mix again.... Fuck being more concerned with our rivals.

Winning the league is the ultimate way to stick it to the cunts. Keep looking upwards.

(Personally, despite themselves, i hope both lots of wankers smash our title rivals over the next few days... )

Spurs success > Rival misery.
Non taken :)

Think you’re reading a bit much into it there fella. I don’t consider goons better than 6th place this year, they don’t matter other than the NLD.

I want City to win as it keeps us in the background, and puts them only 2pts behind Liverpool if they lose. I reckon that pressure will get to them and they’ll stumble.

Spurs 4pts behind....don’t think that has the same effect. Last time we were there we folded against Wolves.

We need to quietly keep the form going and peak at the right time, preferably within 2-3 pts of first.

If you’re an optimist, last 6-7 games of the season, Harry and Dele back, into New White Hart Lane, all of a sudden things look pretty tasty. We just need to hang in there until then...

Think you’re reading a bit much into it there fella. I don’t consider goons better than 6th place this year, they don’t matter other than the NLD.

I want City to win as it keeps us in the background, and puts them only 2pts behind Liverpool if they lose. I reckon that pressure will get to them and they’ll stumble.

Spurs 4pts behind....don’t think that has the same effect. Last time we were there we folded against Wolves.

We need to quietly keep the form going and peak at the right time, preferably within 2-3 pts of first.

If you’re an optimist, last 6-7 games of the season, Harry and Dele back, into New White Hart Lane, all of a sudden things look pretty tasty. We just need to hang in there until then...

The optimist in me says get there asap and stay there.

To me anything else represents convoluted thinking that may blow up in our faces.

I mean would you ever condone us playing for a draw for the same reason?

I like that fans of our rivals are freaked out by where we are. We've lost six so far yet have a surprisingly good points total and table position, obviously because of a lack of draws.

The dynamic is different to previous seasons where we've been alone chasing. It's not just us this time. That adds to the pressure on Liverpool and as good as they are there is that question about whether they can handle it. I thought they would but last week they did bottle the opportunity to push out in front. Only time will tell whether they can cope or not.

If they slip up then we are in it but we still have some tough fixtures and are likely to drop points too. Mind you, we play them both (what if we win those two games? Which isn't that big a stretch at all).

I do not expect to win the title. Never yet have we been first this it in previous seasons. But this season especially I just do t expect it at all. Astonishingly, we are where we are though.

... I was told here round xmas it was virtually impossible for City to drop ANY points to Palace and that it was as good as set in stone that only 3 teams (not Leicester) were capable of making any kind of dent in Liverpool over the next 14 games.

Yet here we are.... Again.

Last edited:
The optimist in me says get there asap and stay there.

To me anything else represents convoluted thinking that may blow up in our faces.

I mean would you ever condone us playing for a draw for the same reason?
No way. But that’s different.

I think City putting pressure on -2pts will make them crumble. I think us putting pressure on -4pts won’t. Yes of course we’d have to then deal with City but that’s the deal. If Liverpool won tomorrow and City lose, pressures off Liverpool again and they’ll keep winning.

Obviously this is all conjecture and reliant on West Ham doing anything other than getting cock-slapped, which of course is what they live for

The table according to the pundits...

51057075_2392265804119239_3893702984164442112_n.jpg

I don’t think it’s fair to say we “folded”. We were coming off some huge wins, got a lead, and turned it off mentally thinking the game was won. That might have been okay against a bottom of the table team, but Wolves are dangerous. It’s not like we didn’t show up at all, we just shut it down way too early.

I want City to lose here, because if they win it’s one more team that we’d have to overcome for the title. Sure a City win puts pressure on Pool, but it also helps City’s confidence. They win they’re more likely to catch Pool. We’d need two teams to drop points rather than one. Seems self-defeating to want another team to be closer to the title than us.

I don’t think it’s fair to say we “folded”. We were coming off some huge wins, got a lead, and turned it off mentally ruining the game was won. That might have been okay against a bottom of the table team, but Wolves are dangerous. It’s not like we didn’t show up at all, we just shut it down way too early.

I want City to lose here, because if they win it’s one more team that we’d have to overcome for the title. Sure a City win puts pressure on Pool, but it also helps City’s confidence. They win they’re more likely to catch Pool. We’d need two teams to drop points rather than one. Seems self-defeating to want another team to be closer to the title than us.
Yeah of course you and Mr Airfixx Airfixx are correct on the face of it, but as explained above I think it would benefit us, at the obvious cost of City gaining ground. Such is the drama of interesting leagues.

I don’t think it’s fair to say we “folded”. We were coming off some huge wins, got a lead, and turned it off mentally thinking the game was won. That might have been okay against a bottom of the table team, but Wolves are dangerous. It’s not like we didn’t show up at all, we just shut it down way too early.

and yeah I think we folded. Wolves are decent, we had injuries and were tired. Champions win those games though.

and yeah I think we folded. Wolves are decent, we had injuries and were tired. Champions win those games though.
Oh look, we disagree, does that mean we get to call each other cunts?
:dembelelol::dierpochhug:
I think the term “folded” is harsh. We came out cracking. But yes, champions win those games. I think it’s harsh because of the way we battled back to tie Chelsea (any other year would see us through on away goals, right?) and then to win the last two needing to come back with 2 goals for 3 points. But we can agree to disagree. I agree with your point about champs winning those.

No way. But that’s different.

If all one's outlook is concerned with is points relative to others, in essence, it's not that different at all.

If one believes in the kind of long game you allude to, why wouldn't it make logical sense to engineer it ones self?

Oh look, we disagree, does that mean we get to call each other cunts?
:dembelelol::dierpochhug:

I agree with you, but at the same time I hope that doesn't render the word cunt entirely off limits.

(I do also like Git, Knob, Bastard & Asshole, but they all lack that certain universal pizzazz.)

Hope really is horrible isn't it?

Sat here convincing myself that West Ham can get something against Liverpool, even without Arnautovic. Chelsea, United and Woolwich all struggled away at West Ham but by that logic, Liverpool are on their level and they are obviously a level above.

Just need to keep doing our thing, winning games.
It makes everything so much more interesting than just a top 4, doesn't it?

One of the saddest things about last season was how much of a walk in the park it ended up being for Man City, and how weird it felt to be back to 'just' wanting top 4 after the previous two years of chasing Leicester then Chelsea.

We're outsiders for sure, but God I'd love it if we can go on another spring hunt.

Champions/Champions-elect do lose games too.

We have won a fair bunch of such games this year.... 2 in the last week if I'm not mistaken; it's why we find ourselves in this position despite the handicaps you acknowledge.

I'm sure it's sunk in for most over recent seasons that 90% of games feel like a cup final (or "must" win) when you're in the proverbial mix... Yet how many "invicibles" have there ever been?

Back
Top Bottom