January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I mean... does it matter if we sign anyone?

We're going to hate the signing no matter what anyways...
I'm placing you just midway between bargaining and depression.

LocnessDesignsdotcom.jpg

Last edited:
What a miserable, whining, entitled fanbase we seem to be developing. Not showing ambition? You don’t think that fucking great stadium that’s popped up in north London is a sign of ambition? Or a manager that keep reiterating that he wants to win the league or CL, rather than the odd cup? Or pinning down some of our top, most desirable players on new long term contracts? Some fuckers around here will never be happy. We could make a huge marquee signing and you’ll all be complaining again if we don’t win the double straight away. Then it will be “we just need one more signing!”. And so on and so on. You guys need to stop CONSTANTLY bemoaning what you think we lack, and start enjoying what we do have, which is the best manager and most exciting team we’ve had in a generation.
Tottenham+Hotspur+v+Hull+City+Premier+League+a6b6M_MjwH1l.jpg

What did you say you called yourself on that peasant's forum, son.

tottenham_chairman_daniel_levy_and_his_son_in_the_stands_431863.jpg

Jurgen

2F9EB6B200000578-3380559-image-a-36_1451594078484.jpg

Hmmpph.. Jurgen Klinnsman. Not so good son. That was before we took over. Probably remind the raffle that club used to sign big players .

2FA029FC00000578-3380559-image-a-28_1451590763001.jpg

No. Jurgens Binnman.

110250307-levy-sport_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqsX7lDi76tD85-fiYF7F89w64NeDZKLQQVRfuoBfjQeU.jpg

Fucking nice one, son

Last edited:
Although I said the other day we shouldn’t be trying to sign dross like Carroll.. considering the state of our squad I’d take Drinkwater and Josh King right now.

A piece on signing a new central midfielder
As we watch from afar, the attention being drawn is down to the spectacular fashion in which a young, English forward has entered his maiden season in German football's highest tier. The statistics, and price tag, now being speculated is credit to his decision to quit a football club that has invested huge sums of money to buy the best talent in world football.

It is then no wonder, looking at his pathway to the first team made him realize his chances to express himself could prove limited. His chances are now out the box and they do not look like they are going to jump back into the box any time soon.

The young man is enjoying being set free, allowed to just play competitive football.

'Who is to say this same transition would be evident if the forward was awarded the same opportunities in the English game?'.

It is one of those unanswerable alternate reality questions that sometimes pop up... what if... The only way he can prove his doubters wrong is to continue in the same way as he has started; scoring and assisting goals.

This is however both a positive for some and a negative for others. The positive being it is very easy to judge a forward player;

'how many goals/assists does he have?'.

Because of this, it is probably the easiest position to categorize into 'good player' or 'bad player'. Midfield for example, where it is obviously not impossible, it is less obvious or rapid to call.

Sancho is one of a number of success stories the national game can take credit for that are currently applying their trade outside of their homeland. England's youth is, if ability is measured by cups, seen as being among the best talent in the game. Why wouldn't other clubs be interested? Tottenham did it with the Argentina youth centre half signing at a similar age to Sancho, and they also scouted both Dele Alli and Eric Dier.

Dele is from this same generation, all be it short variables in date of birth between each player. He is a product of the system of youth development in England. There are a few like him in Spurs' first team squad. There was a glaring difference between Sancho and Dele's development and current state. Dele Alli had played a vast amount of first team football before his first team christening for Tottenham.

Maybe now, the former City forward is following a similar path as those trodden in Milton, not so long ago.

'What if Sancho had experienced the same minutes as Dele before leaving England? Would he still be part of Pep's plans?'

This again is of course another of those alternate realities but it can't be denied that Dele's football upbringing has assisted his progress as a professional and dortmond's new winger would probably agree.

Eric Dier is very similar to Dele Alli in that he had already gained valuable minutes on the playing field - albeit in Portugal - giving the manager a larger slice of trust than the one that Sancho was maybe granted. Oliver Skipp could well follow suit at Tottenham if precious game time is rewarded to help his development. He is around the same age as Sancho however, how Sancho and Skipp's 'good / bad player' is measured is a lot less obvious.

Can fans agree easier about a midfielder that plays and doesn't score as opposed to a forward that plays and does?

This may well be a hinderence in Skipp's progression. This same view could also include assessment of another academy products.

Some years after purchasing Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, infrastructural advancements put in place by the owners gave youth players at the club an excellent springboard to realise their potential and mature as athletes. And there has been relative success received with a number of youth products going from the academy to the first team.

A player like Harry Winks has shown that trusting in his ability has gained some performances leaving Spurs fans incredibly optimistic about his future at the club. He is around the same age as Dele Alli but also didn't have the same amount of exposure to first team football. There is a good argument to state;

'Winks could have been better than his current level with more first team experience'.

Can the same case be argued for Skipp?

When he has been trusted, Kyle Walker-Peters has produced three man of the match performances in four games, awarded most likely because of his attacking contribution. Again, it appears easier to catagorize forward play than midfield and by token, is a luxury Oliver Skipp is less likely to be afforded.

If a central player is signed midway through the season it raises the chances of Skipp 'missing out' let's say. Given the right amount of nurturing this coming August may reveal a different opinion of him. This, for one last time, is where it once again enters alternate realities. We don't know. Maybe the romance of having two academy players run the heart of the team is the mist that clouds such judgment...

In fact the main argument I don't get is 'who do you drop from your first 11 if you make a signing'. Modern football has moved on from that. Your lucky if your best 11 plays even half of your matches.
I think the who do you drop argument makes little sense.

But you didnt want cover for Kane and Dele and as far as I know, never once called for them to be rotated

I disagree. I think they all have more squad depth than us.

Benches at the weekend of our rivals with no injuries:

Utd
  • Bailly
  • Sánchez
  • Mata
  • Lukaku
  • Pereira
  • Romero
  • Darmian

Liverpool
  • Sturridge
  • Moreno
  • Lallana
  • Mignolet
  • Shaqiri
  • Origi
  • Camacho

Scum
  • Cech
  • Elneny
  • Özil
  • Maitland-Niles
  • Iwobi
  • Monreal
  • Mustafi

Chelsea
  • Barkley
  • Caballero
  • Giroud
  • Hudson-Odoi
  • Christensen
  • Emerson
  • Ampadu

City
  • Stones
  • Delph
  • Bernardo Silva
  • Silva
  • Gabriel Jesus
  • Foden
  • Muric

As Scott wont answer, I'll just put this out to show people what delusion we are dealing with here.
I put City in, even though they would have cover for most situations.....but not a situation like ours, as you can see by their bench and the fact they are starting with Otamendi.

Apparently, these other teams are all covered extremely well in the event they would be without their preferred three central midfielders as well as losing their stand in, and having to drop one of their playmakers into the middle alongside an academy graduate who missed last season through injury himself.

They would also be really well covered if their main striker, and two first choice AMs were injured/on international duty apparently.

From all those benches, ask yourselves who would improve us, and who would replace a fully fit Spurs bench, because depending on formation, that could be:
Gazzaniga, Lamela, Sanchez, Aurier, Rose, Winks, Moura

From Utd, you're talking Mata and Lukaku
Liverpool, Shaqiri
Scum, no one
Chelsea, no one
City, Bernado Silva, Jesus

What a laughable notion, that Liverpool are sorted if Mane, Salah, Milner, Fabinho, and Firminho are all missing
And that Chelsea would be fine with their immense cover if Hazard, Pedro, Kovacic, Kante and Willian were all out injured.

What a fucking load of wank

But you didnt want cover for Kane and Dele and as far as I know, never once called for them to be rotated

Utd
  • Bailly
  • Sánchez
  • Mata
  • Lukaku
  • Pereira
  • Romero
  • Darmian

Liverpool
  • Sturridge
  • Moreno
  • Lallana
  • Mignolet
  • Shaqiri
  • Origi
  • Camacho

Scum
  • Cech
  • Elneny
  • Özil
  • Maitland-Niles
  • Iwobi
  • Monreal
  • Mustafi

Chelsea
  • Barkley
  • Caballero
  • Giroud
  • Hudson-Odoi
  • Christensen
  • Emerson
  • Ampadu

City
  • Stones
  • Delph
  • Bernardo Silva
  • Silva
  • Gabriel Jesus
  • Foden
  • Muric

As Scott wont answer, I'll just put this out to show people what delusion we are dealing with here.
I put City in, even though they would have cover for most situations.....but not a situation like ours, as you can see by their bench and the fact they are starting with Otamendi.

Apparently, these other teams are all covered extremely well in the event they would be without their preferred three central midfielders as well as losing their stand in, and having to drop one of their playmakers into the middle alongside an academy graduate who missed last season through injury himself.

They would also be really well covered if their main striker, and two first choice AMs were injured/on international duty apparently.

From all those benches, ask yourselves who would improve us, and who would replace a fully fit Spurs bench, because depending on formation, that could be:

Liverpool, Shaqiri
Scum, no one
Chelsea, no one

What a laughable notion, that Liverpool are sorted if Mane, Salah, Milner, Fabinho, and Firminho are all missing
And that Chelsea would be fine with their immense cover if Hazard, Pedro, Kovacic, Kante and Willian were all out injured.

Smashed it.

Utd
  • Bailly
  • Sánchez
  • Mata
  • Lukaku
  • Pereira
  • Romero
  • Darmian

Liverpool
  • Sturridge
  • Moreno
  • Lallana
  • Mignolet
  • Shaqiri
  • Origi
  • Camacho

Scum
  • Cech
  • Elneny
  • Özil
  • Maitland-Niles
  • Iwobi
  • Monreal
  • Mustafi

Chelsea
  • Barkley
  • Caballero
  • Giroud
  • Hudson-Odoi
  • Christensen
  • Emerson
  • Ampadu

City
  • Stones
  • Delph
  • Bernardo Silva
  • Silva
  • Gabriel Jesus
  • Foden
  • Muric

Liverpool, Shaqiri
Scum, no one
Chelsea, no one

To be fair, I’d take Hudson-Odoi and Barkley in a heartbeat. Lallana would suit our team really well also.

Utd
  • Bailly
  • Sánchez
  • Mata
  • Lukaku
  • Pereira
  • Romero
  • Darmian

Liverpool
  • Sturridge
  • Moreno
  • Lallana
  • Mignolet
  • Shaqiri
  • Origi
  • Camacho

Scum
  • Cech
  • Elneny
  • Özil
  • Maitland-Niles
  • Iwobi
  • Monreal
  • Mustafi

Chelsea
  • Barkley
  • Caballero
  • Giroud
  • Hudson-Odoi
  • Christensen
  • Emerson
  • Ampadu

City
  • Stones
  • Delph
  • Bernardo Silva
  • Silva
  • Gabriel Jesus
  • Foden
  • Muric

I will never stop enjoying how shit Woolwich have become

Don’t worry guys Hercules on SC has ‘ITK’, it’s Poch he doesn’t want anyone.

:angryscouser:

‘’Right now Poch is the problem. And I have shared that privately before it became public on hear. Guy is friggin stubborn. Alright, our budget is not the best, but slightly over 100m. Though not a set budget.

I worry. If you really believe too ending it with academy graduates, to give them. Chance, I am speechless.’’

To be fair, I’d take Hudson-Odoi and Barkley in a heartbeat. Lallana would suit our team really well also.

Lallana cost £25m in 2014, I wonder how much he'd cost to be a squad player for us current day?

Barkley is rumoured to be on anything from £100k per week to £150k which would make him our 3rd-4th best earner, yet again to be nothing more than a squad roatation player and Hudson-Odoi is an unproven 18 year old being linked with a £35m move which would be a record transfer if the rumoured £34m+ add ons deal for Davinson is to be believed.

These three players show me everything that we as a club are battling against at the moment in the transfer market

Hudson Odoi has played one game and really, would he replace Lamela or Moura?
Would Llalana?
Is Barkley better than Winks?

Because that’s what we’re talking about here. As well as the claim that Chelsea wouldn’t suffer if they had to play the likes of Barkley and Odoi instead of Kante and Hazard.

Don’t worry guys Hercules on SC has ‘ITK’, it’s Poch he doesn’t want anyone.

:angryscouser:

‘’Right now Poch is the problem. And I have shared that privately before it became public on hear. Guy is friggin stubborn. Alright, our budget is not the best, but slightly over 100m. Though not a set budget.

I worry. If you really believe too ending it with academy graduates, to give them. Chance, I am speechless.’’
Why does anyone believe that shit honestly it's another way of saying "We ain't buying anyone suckers "

The injuries play into other teams hands. They will know we’re desperate to bring in and can add more £££ on.
Which is why sensible clubs do their shopping planned, early and timely.

Had we bought in another Dier or etc. for the squad and to develop on, they would have proven additional cover in a difficult situation like this.

Now, we are in full on panic.

Back
Top Bottom